BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 11/2/2007 5:31:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon]
“That's a nice group from the bench. Now let’s see you hit a grapefruit at 50 yards offhand.”

bigbore’s sig-line

Multiple open-source references report that typical grapefruits range in diameter from 10 to 15 cm, with the median being 12.5 cm (or approximately 5 inches.)  Since the public shooting ranges in my area do not allow  the use of fresh fruit for targets, I needed to use a printed representation of the fruit in order to give the “Grapefruit Shoot” a try.

As quickly as you can say “Google” I had a suitable graphic down-loaded.  The diameter of the grapefruit pictured below is exactly 5 inches when printed from a .pdf file of the graphic.  

Attachment Attached File

Using my version of an A4 clone, topped with a Trijicon ACOG TA11, I fired a 10-shot group at the "grapefruit" from the standing off-hand position at 50 yards.  I was able to keep all 10 rounds of the group “in the pulp.”  You can down-load the .pdf file of the grapefruit and give the "Grapefruit Shoot" a try for yourself.  (click here for download)  At a distance of 50 yards, fire 10 shots in a row on the grapefruit target from the standing, offhand position (no support, no slings, no shooting coats) using any AR-15 with any sights you want.

Attachment Attached File

Here are a few gratuitous pics of my A4 clone.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

For this next run of the Grapefruit Shoot I used my 14.5” Noveske N4 barreled carbine topped with an Aimpoint Micro T-1 red dot sight.  Instead of using one grapefruit target for this run, I posted ten grapefruits on the backer at the 50 yard line.  From a standing off-hand combat stance, I fired one shot at each of the ten grapefruits as a "ready, up" drill.  Each individual shot was fired starting with the carbine in the low-ready position.  The carbine was then brought quickly on to the target and the shot fired.  I was able to keep all ten shots “in the pulp.”

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/2/2007 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I hereby certify that rifle suitable for duty. Nice job.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 5:39:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice shooting!
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Offhand and with iron sights.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By bigbore:

I bet 8 out of 10 people on this fourm would miss with the first shot.

Sometimes I think 8 out of 10 people on this forum don't even have an AR-15.

Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Molon:
...  topped with a Trijicon ACOG TA-11...

CHEATER!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I would miss on the first three shots, but that's why the AR15 somes with 30 round magazines!!!

Besides, I would never be able to just go up and shoot without coming here first and asking which AR15 to use first...
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I witnessed a man hit a slightly smaller grapefruit sized target (12x18 at 200 yards) off hand 8 times in a row after running a mile up a hill. It was Tim from Tactical Practical.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Shake up cans of cheap soda and use those.  I hit like 11/12 of those on the first shot at 50 yds several months ago with an Eotech + 16" bull barrel from the seated position.

Is the cross-legged sitting position considered offhand?  

Soda cans are so satisfying to shoot when they blow up....
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#10]
When I'm on top of my game I can snap shoot a 3" group at 50 yards with an Aimpoint equipped rifle.

Thats not saying much about me, most of the guys on the firing line were doing the same.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#11]
With 54 year old eyes, iron sights are problematic at best.

10+ for red-dots!  I've got a Kobra on my AK (no AR yet) and absolutely love it!  I don't know why I didn't go with optics before!  I'm pretty sure I could do the grapefruit challenge with the Kobra, but sincerely doubt my ability to do it with irons at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By EvilBert:

+1

people are not impressed with offhand real life shooting as they are with benchrest bullshit accuracy anyway...

going to a few IDPA shoots really showed how difficult in a simulated high stress environment it can be to engage targets rapidly and accurately...

balloon shoots or even swinging metal targets are crazy... as the balloons/targets sway it is very hard to keep focused on your front sight and very easy to spend an entire magazine...
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#13]
shiiiiiiit.  I shoot with these g** damn good old boys they haven't ever heard of "bench" shooting.  It's usually shoot at stuff on the ground.  Great way to piss away .223 ammo

fiend
RV-1
KeenEdge
etc.

M16A4 clone?  Hardly.  It's very Marine SAM-R style; which is tits man.  tits.
damn im drunk
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 7:12:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thedoctors308] [#14]
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Standing, off hand shooting is a LOT harder than most people realize.  That's a great group for standing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#16]
thedoctors308: I'm up for it as long as I can use the AK (no AR yet).
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm sooo disappointed, here I was expecting blown up fruit! Someone blow a watermelon up or something
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By sic_ness:
CHEATER!!!

If ya ain't cheatn' you ain't tryn'
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice shooting and a neat target idea!

I watched my ex's dad put 3 rounds into less than an inch at 100 offhand with irons once..with an old swiss mauser that was sporterized.  I don't know if it was pure luck, skill, or both, but I really tried hard to stay on his good side.  Now that I gots me a daughter I guess I'd better practice too..
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 9:15:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#20]

Originally Posted By yekimak:
Nice shooting and a neat target idea!

I watched my ex's dad put 3 rounds into less than an inch at 100 offhand with irons once..with an old swiss mauser that was sporterized.  I don't know if it was pure luck, skill, or both, but I really tried hard to stay on his good side.  Now that I gots me a daughter I guess I'd better practice too..

Well, if you're not that good when you take your daughters courting boys shooting.  Just rapid fire your AR jump around like a madman and just appear unstable in general. And say things like, "Man, I'd really like to find out what a guy would look like after I shot him with this."
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Shooting offhand is the way to go!  We train 4x's yr (2 mandatory) w/ our cops and AR's.  2 Yrs ago the course was changed from simple static shooting to running and gunnin.  What a difference it makes!!  

I myself had an issue w/ the 5.56 offhand.  I had been mostly shooting Marlin 45/70 (one of my fav's) and a Marlin 450 w/ some 30.06 and 308 in the mix. Marlins were iron sights w/ the 30.06 & 308 scoped.  Crazy but I got so use to the 45/70 offhand I developed a flinch w/ the lighter rounds...It caused me issues w/ 5.56 I had to overcome.  I learned that I cannot shoot the heavy's and expect the 5.56 to be in a decent group offhand.

For the last yr I have been shooting 5.56/223, 6.8, & 308 (out of AR-10 & MiA) exclusively.  No issues anymore.  I just bought a Noveske 5.56 w/ Troy flip front & rear sights.  WOW!! Now I know why there 250 bucks a set.  WORTH IT.  Nice set up.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By JJREA:

Well, if you're not that good when you take your daughters courting boys shooting. Just rapid fire your AR jump around like a madman and just appear unstable in general. And say things like, "Man, I'd really like to find out what a guy would look like after I shot him with this."

Well, I am an ARFCOMMER....I think I got that part covered.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I am trying this when I go to the range tomarrow!
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#24]
taint easy, takes practice
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:21:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thedoctors308] [#25]
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I warm up for deer hunting in a similar way.  my local range has a 12" gong at 100yds.....just happens to be the approximate size of the vitals on a large whitetail.  I miss occasionally, but am definately over the 75% hit mark....again, this is off hand.  shooting from sitting/kneeling/prone/ brased post i rarley miss.  also, this is with a couple of rifles that i have shot alot and am very comfortable with.....i can't do it with all of them, even though all the rifle are capable of performing.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got to do this with my .50 Beowulf.  It wouldn't even be a challenge with my .223. I'll post the results.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#28]
That grapefruit looks juicy and delicious. Well, the "before" pic anyway .
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Dude I know What you mean!

Mike
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 3:54:01 AM EDT
[#30]

I am glad I didn't have anything in my mouth when I read that, too funny.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2007 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#31]
I can wack bowling pins all day off hand.

all my rifles are zeroed for 25m and are great "minute of man" shooters at 100+ yards
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By UPSguy:

I am glad I didn't have anything in my mouth when I read that, too funny.  

It's a good thing you guys service and equipment is so good.  Otherwise some of us might get offended.  

I think I know what his point is though.  Some of us talk more than shoot.  I'd be one of them.  I don't think I could hit that first shot.  Maybe I'll to go try.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By chris157c:
I would miss on the first three shots, but that's why the AR15 somes with 30 round magazines!!!
It's still a problem if the other guy doesn't need 3 shots.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By TripletDad:

Originally Posted By chris157c:
It's still a problem if the other guy doesn't need 3 shots.
This sorta reminds me of a scene from Pulp Fiction...

However, this is one particularly good idea-focus on a kill-zone-sized target at a tactical distance, look at first shot results and adjust accordingly.  Balloons, grapefruit, whatever.  Cool indeed.  I'll have to put together a good 5" circle target for practice (one that uses a lot less toner than a picture of a grapefruit).
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 10:49:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: james1058] [#35]

I'm sooo disappointed, here I was expecting blown up fruit! Someone blow a watermelon up or something

Not an Ar but check out the "Shattermellons" video
other videos there are ok too

I have taken my daughter out to shoot with me, we stopped by the store and bought some coconuts, pineapples, cantaloupes, watermelon and a bag of apples. With several different weapons, including the AR, we preceded to destroy the produce. I will have to say the DE 44 mag done the best work on the watermelon. Range was 25-50 yards. Not all were 1st hit shots but it made for a fun day plus showed my daughter how devastating each caliper was.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Guten Morgan,

I love this site for all the discussion that goes on.

I use kneeling a lot (25yds range) for the testing of my reloads and plinking.

I have found there is a difference in accuracy, kneeling vs. bench, and it has
to do with the pressure between the barrel and connecting receiver.
This applies very much so to my Lever Action Rifles accuracy and point
of impact.

The kneeling position gives me a good indication how accurate the reload is,
if the group is small (holes touching) it is a very good indication the reload will
perform small groups at 50yds and 100yds.

Once in a while I will use the corner of my pickup box (set at an angle to the target)
for a steady rest or the wooden bench (at my favorite range) “just to see how accurate”
the rifle/handgun might be.

The off hand position with or with out a sling is my other favorite firing position.
I think, most of what I’ve learned using the kneeling position applies to the
standing position.

Hitting a grape fruit at 50yds is a piece of cake in the standing position, but try it
after running or an up hill scurry to the firing line, that’s a different story.

Auf wiedersehen.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I love it, that's good.

Thank for making my day.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By Molon:
“That's a nice group from the bench. Now let’s see you hit a grapefruit at 50 yards offhand.”

bigbore’s sig-line

Multiple open-source references report that typical grapefruits range in diameter from 10 to 15 cm, with the median being 12.5 cm (or approximately 5 inches.)  Since the shooting ranges in my area do not allow  the use of fresh fruit for targets, I needed to use a printed representation of the fruit in order to give the “Grapefruit Shoot” a try.

As quickly as you can say “Google” I had a suitable graphic down-loaded.  The diameter of the grapefruit pictured below is exactly 5 inches when printed from a .pdf file of the graphic.  

www.box.net/shared/static/ub7hya6t02.jpg

Using my version of an A4 clone, topped with a Trijicon ACOG TA11, I fired 10-shot groups at the "grapefruits" from the off-hand position at 50 yards.  I was able to keep all 10 rounds of the groups “in the pulp.”  You can down-load the .pdf file of the grapefruit and give the "Grapefruit Shoot" a try for yourself.  (click here for download)

www.box.net/shared/static/aejhl2nl9e.jpg

Here are a few gratuitous pics of my A4 clone.

www.box.net/shared/static/s06dylbbrq.jpg

www.box.net/shared/static/p9rcbkhetf.jpg

www.box.net/shared/static/gmfxb6uoor.jpg

www.box.net/shared/static/krt8mjsygs.jpg

Your rifle looks like a Squad Advanced Marksman Rifle (SAM-R) not an a4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Marine_Corps_Squad_Advanced_Marksman_Rifle

Link Posted: 11/3/2007 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Does hitting the broad side of a full ATX computer case at 30 feet about 20% of the time count?

The first time I shot my AR pistol, I was about 15 yards from my target (a broken joystick).  I didn't hit it once with a full magazine.  Now that I have a red dot sight and it is adjusted to be accurate at such ranges, I can keep my shots within about an inch or so at that distance.  My iron sights were WAAAAAAAY off.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#41]
those Rio red Texas grapefruits shure are tastey ,you ought switch to the nasty white ones and save them Texas Red's for eating .
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 1:22:49 AM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By chrissig:
Is the cross-legged sitting position considered offhand?  .

Sure, as long as youre elbows arent resting on your knees/thighs.
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 10:22:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2stage] [#43]
So, why was this thread moved here to the "optics, mounts, and sights" forum when Molon originally posted it in the "AR discussions" forum
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 12:01:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: new-arguy] [#44]
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 12:32:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GUTS] [#48]
Practice makes perfect. In our clubs lever action matches I shoot a 70 year old Winchester model 64. There's no problem hitting the little chickens at 50 meters, the pigs at 100, the turkeys at 150 or the rams at 200. Shooting offhand with iron sights in the wind we have here in South Dakota will make a shooter out of you for sure!
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By GUTS:
Practice makes perfect. In our clubs lever action matches I shoot a 70 year old Winchester model 64. There's no problem hitting the little chickens at 50 meters, the pigs at 100, the turkeys at 150 or the rams at 200. Shooting offhand with iron sights in the wind we have here in South Dakota will make a shooter out of you for sure!

I've always wanted to do that.  It sounds like alot of fun!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top