User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Man I love these threads.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Timely and excellent thread OP.  

Wife and I will be staying in Kyoto for a month.  We've been to Japan in the past, but only a couple weeks at a time.  This trip will be Air B&B a house.  

The JR pass doesn't seem worth it anymore because you have to make so many trips, you'd start feeling like you're chasing train rides rather than enjoying your trip.  

We'll be back and forth between Tokyo and Kyoto quite a bit, but still will probably just buy our shinhansen tickets at the machine.  

This will be a relaxing trip, so we don't want to feel like we're forced to keep moving if we don't feel like it.  

Have an awesome time.  Sorry about the doggie. Hope that turns out OK.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Dog is probably fucked.  No sign of poison. Apparently they bleed from gums and other areas where blood vessels are near the surface.

If the dog had trauma like hanging it would explain it but nothing has happened   I have cams outside and there is nothing untoward that happened. Doc says her platlettes are low and she clots slowly but any blood disease with these symptoms would show other signs.  

I have a small suspicion she got her head stuck in a fence where the neighbor cut down the tree n back.  No way to know and the cams do not show this happening

Met up with my son for the 1st time since September. Missed him terribly.  Rollercoaster day
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:40:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Tagged for updates.  

So is roaming Japan safe or you have to be careful where you go like US cities?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:51:52 AM EDT
[#6]
There's something missing in your pictures...I can't put my finger on it.
Japan looks very civilized. I'm sure they don't fuck around when it comes to crime.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:15:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry about your dog, OP

Thanks for the pictures though, really enjoying them. Hope you can keep sharing.

How difficult would you say it is to get around for someone who can't read any kanji? You mention google maps is a requirement, does having that make up for it?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:17:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin76] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Japan is safe just about anywhere. The only place I tell people to avoid is the Roppongi area of Tokyo.

Do be careful in bars where a lot of tourists go. If you do go, make sure to go with a group. Be careful about drinking around other foreigners - people have been known to get their drinks spiked and then valuables stolen. That's about it for safety concerns.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:13:56 AM EDT
[#9]
About 14 or 15 years ago there were protests going on around shinjuku station area, lots of riot police etc, some sort of nationalist stuff, and I was advised to keep out of the area.
Theft is pretty rare I would say, people really will leave a purse or backpack to save a spot if space is at a premium.
Momo from the 'Go Devils' had her bag with effects stolen at a live house and was apoplectic about it

Nice pics from the skytree, we went when it opened,  but there was like a 3 hour wait to go up, and it was hot af, so we blew it off.

On a clear winter day, you can clearly see fuji from the observation floor of the gov building in Shinjuku
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:45:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Lawsons for the MFW!
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:04:03 AM EDT
[#11]
What does the average Japanese meal cost?  What is your daily budget - lodging, food, transportation, entertainment?  I've heard things are very expensive there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:31:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got back from two weeks in Japan with my kids.  Had a great time.  Taylor swift concert and split half the time in Tokyo and Kyoto. Eat as much ramen as you can OP.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:35:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tcfla:
Tagged for updates.  

View Quote

Japan is the opposite of American cities. My daughter lost her wallet on the subway. We walked to the gate person and told them. With in eight minutes of when she dropped her wallet, it was reported found and at the next train stop’s lost and found.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By tcfla:
Tagged for updates.  

View Quote

Extremely safe. Young women dressed to 9s walking alone drunk at 11pm safe
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By pol_pot_47:
Sorry about your dog, OP

Thanks for the pictures though, really enjoying them. Hope you can keep sharing.

How difficult would you say it is to get around for someone who can't read any kanji? You mention google maps is a requirement, does having that make up for it?
View Quote

100% yes. Most anything necessary is in English and Korean. Google translate camera function is perfect for anything else like a menu or instructions. There is another app but I have not tried it yet

I am not sure I have had a better and worse day at the same time.
Also getting sick. Repeat of Sept. Stress is probably fucking me up

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:38:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Tboy:
What does the average Japanese meal cost?  What is your daily budget - lodging, food, transportation, entertainment?  I've heard things are very expensive there.
View Quote

Used to be. Dollar is a $150 against the yen

I just paid for a queen bed room in Nagoya for 7 nights for $880

More later. Feel like dogshit now
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DOBERMAN:

Japan is the opposite of American cities. My daughter lost her wallet on the subway. We walked to the gate person and told them. With in eight minutes of when she dropped her wallet, it was reported found and at the next train stop’s lost and found.
View Quote

My wife dropped her rail card and some guy chased us to give it back. Had $60 on it
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:57:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ToledoXJ] [#18]
Pic dump from yesterday. No fam reunion pics for OPSEC but they are the best ones

Shinkansen from Shinagawa Station to  Nagoya. - Tokyo Station ticket purchasing was just too much for my brain.

Nagoya downtown outside the station is like Ginza. Very wealthy shops.
Some differences I noted between Tokyo and Nagoya. People are more gregarious. In Tokyo it is so weirdly quiet. Groups of friends here are chatty and use hand gestures the only way I have seen in bars in Tokyo after a few drinks. Clothing has slightly more color than just black and tan. I really like it here and can see why my kid is having a good stay. His Japanese is pretty serviceale after 6 mo. Its interesting to see his personality with Japanese people VS western.

We hit a cheap chain  steak place. It was good. I have been before but this exp was better. Steak was tender. had veggies as a side. I had a beer. Cost for 3 was about $60us

We went to Harbs, a cake shop for desert. It was packed and had a line that we decided to gut out after seeing the cakes. Their coffee was the 1st decent cup I have had here. Everyone else uses French Press and I find it too dark and bitter. Creat deserts. Japan does baking better than anyone except the French.

We went back to the hotel where I passed out for an hour. Got the latest dog update. The whole situation has killed my enthusiasm for this trip when i think about her w/o us and blind. We stepped out into the cold and windy night and grabbed some stuff at the underground mall and thats when a wave of dizziness caught up to me. Trying to sleep off whatever is going on but my sleep schedule is all over the place. I hope its just stress at this point.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Did you find Tracer Tong?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I was curious about the sumo tournaments...I think next ones are scheduled in Tokyo about May. Anyone gone to it? Where/how would you get tickets?

Also any tips on where to get some yakitori?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:39:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1969GTX] [#21]
We got the 14 day long JR rail passes for the trains. Included the Shinkansen line Kodama (blue) that makes all the stops, not the Nozumi or Mihuzu. Way cheaper than getting tickets per train.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I could still do that if we wanted to drag our shit all over japan. I’m ok just hanging out with my kid.  I did a cursory look at regional passes before deciding their websites are so bad it’s worth wasting money to avoid them.

This is what I mean about not having any useful travel tips
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow, 150 yen to the dollar, that's great.  When I was in Japan back in the 90's it got down to 80 to a dollar.  That was painful for a broke sailor.  Great pics, I was stationed there for three years, but I'd still like to go back sometime.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By NC_Andy:
Wow, 150 yen to the dollar, that's great.  When I was in Japan back in the 90's it got down to 80 to a dollar.  That was painful for a broke sailor.  Great pics, I was stationed there for three years, but I'd still like to go back sometime.
View Quote

No better time than the present. Just go. Set a date and track flight prices. Make it happen
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm heading to Japan for work. I'm taking the wife and we will have about 3 days in Tokyo (Fri-Sun) available for touring.  We are old but get around OK.

1. I'm looking at a Mt Fuji bus tour on Viator.  But I've read the rainy season starts in May.  Any thoughts?

2.  Which neighborhood should we stay at? I was looking at Ginza as its near Tokyo station and the Tokyo tower as well as some parks.  I've read just find something near a station, ideally the Yamanote line.

3. How about the go-cart tour?  That looks fun and has good reviews.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:24:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ToledoXJ] [#26]
Originally Posted By couchlord:
I'm heading to Japan for work. I'm taking the wife and we will have about 3 days in Tokyo (Fri-Sun) available for touring.  We are old but get around OK.

1. I'm looking at a Mt Fuji bus tour on Viator.  But I've read the rainy season starts in May.  Any thoughts?

2.  Which neighborhood should we stay at? I was looking at Ginza as its near Tokyo station and the Tokyo tower as well as some parks.  I've read just find something near a station, ideally the Yamanote line.

View Quote

My kid did a bus to yamanashi last weekend. link 5 hours but the driver had to rest. They parked for 3. Got there and it was snowing and nothing was open.  Lots of stuff opens after 10 I. Japan. He Did a bnb and the next day it was sunny and he took some awesome photos. Said the Chinese tourists spoiled it some. Live streamers with Bluetooth speakers blasting and pushing for photo spots. I may have made a thread last month

Asakusa was a Jem. Close to everything and the room was cheap. I often use APA business hotels through Agoda.  I staked at APA Asakusa kuremae kita.  LinkHad a corner room. Two nights less than $180 I think.

Go cart thing is probably fun.  Never done it.  I do some watercolor art and like to take pics for reference so my focus is pretty lame as far as doing stuff.  I mostly sight see and wish my knees were 25 years younger.

EDIT. Yaminote has been my go to line but this trip was all Asakusa and Ginza. Maps makes it easy to navigate

When we get back in Tokyo the plan is yoyogi park or omori for blossoms but that’s about it.  Leaving it open.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:
Go cart thing is probably fun.  Never done it.
View Quote

Be careful about those go cart tours. Some of the companies doing those are/were a little sketchy, had some fatalities, and got shut down.

I wouldn’t plan a Mt. Fuji day tour if you aren't climbing it. It's a roll of the dice if it will end up overcast and you see nothing but clouds and no mountain. If you do plan to climb Mt. Fuji be aware that they are planning to limit the number of people they allow to climb it so be sure you have the right arrangements in advance. This limitation is a new thing and not fully implemented yet (Climbing season hasn't started yet this year - they don't let anybody climb it when it's snowed over.).
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I could still do that if we wanted to drag our shit all over japan. I’m ok just hanging out with my kid.  I did a cursory look at regional passes before deciding their websites are so bad it’s worth wasting money to avoid them.

This is what I mean about not having any useful travel tips
View Quote

At Haneda Airport, there is a Rail ticket office. We ordered at home, picked up the passes there. Pretty easy to find the JR line.

Our son goes back next Monday. We would love to fly out again and visit. It really is sn awesome place to experience.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:26:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ToledoXJ] [#29]
Originally Posted By 1969GTX:

At Haneda Airport, there is a Rail ticket office. We ordered at home, picked up the passes there. Pretty easy to find the JR line.

Our son goes back next Monday. We would love to fly out again and visit. It really is sn awesome place to experience.
View Quote

I’m sure there are way better ways to travel Japan.  I’m just a dumbass and winging it.

Didn’t do any passes this time.  Just PASMO card and cash since we were only going to one city

Probably could have flown to
Nagoya at half the cost but wanted my wife to see Fuji from the train
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:57:28 AM EDT
[#30]
the cake does look really good

that's a sweet ass Jimny, wish we could buy those
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Great pics of Mt Fuji. Weather looks perfect for it.  I bought my Shinkansen tickets from the ticket office at the stations. I got too confused from the machines, especially with the amount of money I was paying.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By couchlord:

View Quote

Consider Shibuya. There’s some great parks nearby and it has a little bit of everything you’d expect in Tokyo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Great pictures. I've always heard about how clean it is there and your pictures certainly support that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:40:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ToledoXJ] [#35]
Day out with my son to his campus which is closed, grabbed lunch at Sayzaria and then off to his place to see if his landlord was done installing a new AC unit.  

We made plans to meet his friend and take her to dinner.  She’s been a big help setting up stuff for my kid and even took him to the hospital when he managed to get smashed by flu typeA.

My son had his eyes on the Yakiniku place and it was great. Less than $200 with drinks.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Lunch

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Cont.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

More later. Phone is being stupid
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

AC unit was in so we started our walk towards the station to meet our friend. There is a road that starts out with a lot of foreign businesses and Indian restaurants that turns into izakayas and finally restaurants before getting to proper downtown.

It’s lively as hell and everyone is getting started to drink at 5 pm

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:17:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ToledoXJ] [#39]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Hit Animate, an anime merch store since we had time to kill. My wife bought some crap.  It was hot in there so I chilled outside after a few minutes.

The temps are hard to predict here.  I was way over layered after last nights wind storm

Attachment Attached File

Off to dinner after picking up Ao at the station
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:21:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ToledoXJ] [#40]
She studied here last year and she got a range day out of it

Attachment Attached File

So off to dinner

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Highballs and Wagyu
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Dinner was stellar.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Japanese wife just got back
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Back in 2010 I was invited to Japan for the 20 year factory reunion for Honda's creators of the NSX.    It was $5000.00 all in flight, hotel, factory tour. dinners, drinks, meet the CEO of Honda etc for a week.

My life's biggest regret is not going.   I still have my NSX which is one of my life's best decisions.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Pics of 28 year old  cute Japanese girls
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By DubyaB:
Pics of 28 year old  cute Japanese girls
View Quote

No way dude. I can’t tell if they are 12 or 40
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By deadelk:
I can't imagine going to a crowded urban location on purpose.
View Quote

Some of us enjoy seeing the world, and to do that you tend to need to be around other people.

lol, I swear some people are worried about everything. We're all going to die, you might as well live while you wait.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#46]
When I get home to my non-robotic self-opening/flushing toilet I’ll probably sit down and try to shit through the lid.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
Thanks for sharing!

I loved Japan when I was there, wish I would have went back a long time ago and stayed.
View Quote

This is what I decided when I was here the first time. Went back to the US, got an education so I could qualify for a visa, studied the language, and came back 30 years ago. No regrets, especially as the US has been circling the drain recently.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#48]
She studied here last year and she got a range day out of it

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285969/7C265CD8-EA55-48FA-8BDB-60407EFFFB5D_jpe-3163816.JPG

View Quote

I know that range!

Cool pictures. Hope you're enjoying the trip. Very sorry to hear about your dog.

Can you pick me up a VF-25 Super Messiah, while you're there?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Ronin76:

This is what I decided when I was here the first time. Went back to the US, got an education so I could qualify for a visa, studied the language, and came back 30 years ago. No regrets, especially as the US has been circling the drain recently.
View Quote

Not sure what I’d have done had I come here as a younger guy.  Probably something similar. I like my new home and the space it has so I’m not exactly regretful. That said I’d have loved to live a few years here.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I want some Tonkatsu Wako now....

https://wako-group.co.jp/

Japan, 〒460-0008 Aichi, Nagoya, Naka Ward, Sakae, 3 Chome−29−1 名古屋パルコ店西館内 7F

That or some cheap Yoshinoya...
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top