Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/17/2024 2:23:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ToledoXJ]
NOTES FROM DOG DISASTER AT TOP

***No updates on dog cause of death but wanted to say sorry for the posts in here about it.  It’s pretty raw and we’re awfully upset. Two more rainy days in Nagoya with our kid and back to Tokyo for two nights.  Hope to take my wife to a couple spots I thought were cool last time.

**Day whatever:   Sitter called dog had diarrhea.  Started shitting blood.  Took her to vet and they euthanized her. We’re destroyed

*Here to visit my son in Nagoya with my wife who has never been here. Day two and it’s been great until an hour ago. Dog sitter called. My ESS went blind and is walking into everything. I am here another week. She had this happen the 1st week in our new house. Ran into a stick. We keep everything trimmed now but there may be brush out back as the neighbor is clear cutting trees on our fence line. I am sad as fuck and worried.

I'll probably post pics daily if anyone is interested but keep in mind, the dog incident has cast a damper on our trip and I am worried about how much BS the sitter is going to have to deal with.

TRIP POSTS________________________________________________
Air Canada jacked up the flight some. Supposed to leave at 10am from Detroit, 1 hr to YYZ 2 hour layover then 14 hours to Japan HND, Air Canada moved the flight to 6am. so we had like a 7 hour layover in Toronto. Brutal day of travel. Never again.

DAY 1
These pics are out of order but we grabbed a hotel in Asakusa near the sky tree so I could take my wife up in it at night.

1st "meal" in Japan was at the combini

Last seat on the plane ended up being a decent move with some caveats. Being last in line at customs sucked

Up waiting at 2am Japan time on sitter to fill us in on the dog so I figured I'd make a thread

If anyone wants Japan travel info feel free to ask and i will tell you how not to do it. We're getting shit done but I made a mess of a lot of it. Big one is bullet train tickets tomorrow. Never bought them day-of travel. Hope i can figure it out and there are seats available. Ugh.

Day 2 in a few.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I always worry about my dog when I travel too.
Have a fun trip. Hope the dog gets better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Day 2 ended up going to Tokyo station to get early train tix but I bailed after getting hopelessly lost. Try again today

We then went to Ginza shopping area, saw some dad assed cars. Shot over to Shibuya crossing and hoped to get food. We ended up waiting until we got to Shimokitizawa and had Mr Donut and a coffee and later a 2pm lunch at a Gyoza place

Ferarri was rowdy asf

I got tix for the skytree and fucked up Military time somehow and got there exactly on time with a lot of old man "running"
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll follow your travels again op.  Hope the dog is good.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:49:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ToledoXJ] [#4]
Hit the crossing at Shibuya and took the wife to Tower records. Pretty cool 8 story record store. Does a ton of business unlike record stores in the US. Artists visit a lot and do fan events etc.

You might recognize the Seiko watch Flagship building from this doumentary

Attachment Attached File

Shimokita is a cool area. Live houses, musicians, vintage clothing shops, food. We grabbed the aforementioned sky tree tix and went back to the hotel to chill until I realized how late we were for our visit to skytree

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:59:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ToledoXJ] [#5]
May have doubled up some stuff. oops.

Skytree was sweet. I went at daylight years ago. Not sure which is better.
Hotel has open air spaces I took some pics from. Pretty cool. Americans couldn't resist throwing shit or jumping.  The stairs at Asakusa station were a mfr with my "repaired" knee

Day 4 awaits. Hopefully the dog will be OK. Hope to know more in a few hours
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Japan seems like a good example of the successes of Nationalism. Sans gun laws of course.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#7]
If you were starting at DTW, why not fly direct on Delta? Detroit doesn't have direct to Narita or Nagoya anymore, but Haneda is still direct. Nagoya and Tokyo are cool places to visit. Nagoya castle has some nice swords and muskets.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:03:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ToledoXJ] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ToyCop:
If you were starting at DTW, why not fly direct on Delta? Detroit doesn't have direct to Narita or Nagoya anymore, but Haneda is still direct. Nagoya and Tokyo are cool places to visit. Nagoya castle has some nice swords and muskets.
View Quote

The day I booked AC was $1200 a ticket and that direct flight was $3900 a ticket. I couldn't wait to see if it would drop due to work stuff/approvals for time off etc. Delta actually went up from there for a while

I hit the castle in Sept when I dropped the kid off. It was cool but I was sick af and it was 104 deg that day. I almost blacked out in the station. Didnt see a lot of it
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Neat to see a town I've not visited in over 40 years now
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Appreciate the pictures.   We have been twice and want to go again, badly but maybe now in 2026.    Sakura season was super early, I assumed you missed it?   It’s been fun identifying places and things we saw from your photos.

Air Canada is absolutely horrible with playing games like that.  They max out crews all the time and then blame weather or some crap beyond their control.   We did them to Tokyo also and the flight was late, leaving us 10 minutes to deplane and get through customs and to the jump from Canada to Boston.     We rushed but it was irrelevant, that flight was also delayed….  Of course no one could tell us that.   It was only known at the gate.    

Same issue to Europe, delays, cancelations, 14 boarding passes later for two people and we were done.  

Our last trip with them to burn our miles is in July.   After that it’s going to be a different airline.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Idpapaperoperator:
Japan seems like a good example of the successes of Nationalism. Sans gun laws of course.
View Quote

It succeeds in a lot of ways. Fails in others. I am careful to paint anything about Japan with a broad brush or speak in definitives but I have two observations I will hang a hat on

1) The US sense of individualism shouldn't work at all but it does somehow. We have a functional society that operates from a 180 degee perspective from the collective social structures of Asia. Freedom of thought and action is a thing in the US.

2) We fucked up. The US's biggest strength after geography and resources is/was the belief that we can overcome any obstacle and rise to the top no matter our station. That is dying fast. The US is negative and Asian self view is largely positive and full of pride (even if misplaced).
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I love your Tokyo threads.

My daughter is very interested in Japan and wants to go there to visit or study like your son.

I'll show her these photos now.  She will be pumped.

Oh, and she can't wait to use the rail system (YouTube and the www has certainly helped her get familiarized).

Looking forward to more photos and good news regarding your dog!
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#13]
In!
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By wptemple:
Appreciate the pictures.   We have been twice and want to go again, badly but maybe now in 2026.    Sakura season was super early, I assumed you missed it?   It’s been fun identifying places and things we saw from your photos.

Air Canada is absolutely horrible with playing games like that.  They max out crews all the time and then blame weather or some crap beyond their control.   We did them to Tokyo also and the flight was late, leaving us 10 minutes to deplane and get through customs and to the jump from Canada to Boston.     We rushed but it was irrelevant, that flight was also delayed….  Of course no one could tell us that.   It was only known at the gate.    

Same issue to Europe, delays, cancelations, 14 boarding passes later for two people and we were done.  

Our last trip with them to burn our miles is in July.   After that it’s going to be a different airline.
View Quote

Yeah, not my 1st CA rodeo. Def my last

I think cherry blossoms may actually start next week? Dunno. Lots of concrete in all our locations so far. I'll be back in Tokyo on the 25th so we'll see
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#15]
No dog news yet.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#16]
My mom says there are a lot of Japanese people in Japan.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:21:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rubik] [#17]
I would really appreciate knowing more about it. My daughter and I are going to Tokyo, Kyoto, and Okinawa in May.

Sounds like Sky Tree is a good place to visit in Tokyo. What other things should we see?

I'm thinking about taking a bullet train to Hiroshima one of the days we'll be in Kyoto. Are there specific gardens or temple we should focus on when we're in Kyoto for the other days?

For Okinawa, I was thinking we might go snorkeling. Any other ideas or recommendations?

ETA: Also, are there different rail passes we should get for different cities? Or is there just one for all of Japan? Is that something you buy ahead of time online?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#18]
How are those Suntory Zeros? They sound incredible, high ABV, no carbs, no shit malt liquor
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:53:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#19]
Always enjoy reading your Japan travel threads and looking at your photos.

Hope that the dog situation is not as serious as it first appears.

Originally Posted By Rubik:

ETA: Also, are there different rail passes we should get for different cities? Or is there just one for all of Japan? Is that something you buy ahead of time online?
View Quote

The answer to that is a bit complicated, as it depends on things such as how much train travel you want to do, which cities you want to visit, and how long you will be visiting Japan.

The price of the JR "Japan Rail Pass" was increased substantially late last year (IIRC), and so that can change the equation too.

You will probably want to compare the prices for (at least) the long-distance trips that you'd like to take, between individual ticket purchases and buying the JR pass. You used to have to purchase the JR pass in advance, outside of Japan, but I think that they have made some changes such that you may be able to buy it when you're in Japan (if you have a foreign passport). But I have always bought mine before arriving in Japan, as I have wanted to use it for the special train from the Narita airport to get to Tokyo right after my arrival in Japan.

The JR pass is also good for JR-owned subways (many of which are very convenient  for visiting parts of Tokyo of interest to visitors) - but while the pass will work to take you from city to city (such as from Tokyo to Kyoto), it does not work for the Kyoto subway system.

Too much detail to go into here, so you will have to jump in and do some research of your own on the web based on your desired travel plans.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice pictures.  Tokyo is my favorite layover.  I was there in January.  I'm be out of the training department this summer and will most likely be back to Tokyo.  Love the gyoza and beer.  Hope the dog is ok.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
How are those Suntory Zeros? They sound incredible, high ABV, no carbs, no shit malt liquor
View Quote

Like a Sprite made of hammers
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Dog is blind in both eyes. Vet cannot see the back of them due to blood. Usually rat poison or hanging.

No Poison on my property. No damage at the house where she would have gotten snagged on anything. No collar at the moment. Some sensitivity in neck area

I trust our sitter. Close family friend. Something happens and no idea what. Cannot think of anything toxic in the house. Specifically rodenticide.

Test results tomorrow.  fucking terrible
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:27:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cranberry1] [#24]
Love your Japan threads op ,hope your doggie is doing well I know the worry you must feel

as I have a little guy too and hate when I have to be away from him for a few days .
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:31:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#25]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Aside of the calamity at home, this is a totally epic thread.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Isn’t Japan running on something like 200% of GDP?  I always wonder how they aren’t in a depression?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:47:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#28]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:51:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#29]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:
Here to visit my son in Nagoya with my wife who has never been here. Day two and its been great until an hour ago. Dog sitter called. My ESS went blind and is walking into everything. I am here another week. She had this happen the 1st week in our new house. Ran into a stick. We keep everything trimmed now but there may be brush out back as the neighbor is clear cutting trees on our fence line. I am sad as fuck and worried.

I'll probably post pics daily if anyone is interested but keep in mind, the dog incident has cast a damper on our trip and I am worried about how much BS the sitter is going to have to deal with.

Air Canada jacked up the flight some. Supposed to leave at 10am from Detroit, 1 hr to YYZ 2 hour layover then 14 hours to Japan HND, Air Canada moved the flight to 6am. so we had like a 7 hour layover in Toronto. Brutal day of travel. Never again.

DAY 1
These pics are out of order but we grabbed a hotel in Asakusa near the sky tree so I could take my wife up in it at night.

1st "meal" in Japan was at the combini

Last seat on the plane ended up being a decent move with some caveats. Being last in line at customs sucked

https://i.postimg.cc/pX7wVtZw/IMG-9390.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/SQZ059zN/IMG-9393.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/1X7LqxZN/IMG-9398.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/769vqGs9/IMG-9401.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/3JdMHwgj/IMG-9407.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/90Q60msh/IMG-9412.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Y9MKcf3j/IMG-9413.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/kX4CXsdb/IMG-9415.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/vBtyDSBW/IMG-9420.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/x8j2myJB/IMG-9427.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/MGy2rr1h/IMG-9437.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zGH1TfvD/IMG-9441.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Qxy3B7Xn/IMG-9444.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Df5FTDRh/IMG-9445.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/C5vVsBb5/IMG-9447.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/mrxWjG1Y/IMG-9460.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/DZTFvK2v/IMG-9461.jpg

Up waiting at 2am Japan time on sitter to fill us in on the dog so I figured I'd make a thread

If anyone wants Japan travel info feel free to ask and i will tell you how not to do it. We're getting shit done but I made a mess of a lot of it. Big one is bullet train tickets tomorrow. Never bought them day-of travel. Hope i can figure it out and there are seats available. Ugh.

Day 2 in a few.
View Quote

a

I am flying out to Haneda on ANA in about a week and change. I did my Pre Customs check already anything you can add or suggest?

Anything new to be aware of? Or useful tips?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Kunta_Kinte:

a

I am flying out to Haneda on ANA in about a week and change. I did my Pre Customs check already anything you can add or suggest?

Anything new to be aware of? Or useful tips?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

That visit japan web that gives you the q code is helpful. Expect to
Be in Haneda for a while. It was packed

I use the WiFi box because they can charge your phone

Place is to your right after leaving the terminal.

You may already have a better WiFi plan. You’ll die without access to google maps

Honestly nothing at Haneda has changed since 2022 except ditching all covid stuff an s lot more people
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#32]

You may already have a better WiFi plan. You’ll die without access to google maps

Honestly nothing at Haneda has changed since 2022 except ditching all covid stuff an s lot more people
View Quote

Did you use the Suica or Pasmo card? Or does it really matter?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Kunta_Kinte:
Did you use the Suica or Pasmo card? Or does it really matter?
View Quote

Passmo
doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I can't imagine going to a crowded urban location on purpose.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By deadelk:
I can't imagine going to a crowded urban location on purpose.
View Quote

50% of them are hot
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Do life drawing. Don't need to speak the language.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Very cool pics!  Thanks for posting them.  And I hope the pup is ok.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:34:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wptemple] [#38]

I think cherry blossoms may actually start next week? Dunno. Lots of concrete in all our locations so far. I'll be back in Tokyo on the 25th so we'll see
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Apologies.  It starts on the 20th.  I was told in a casual conversation that is had already started.    We were there last year for the blossoms.  It was incredible, tons of people socializing and walking around enjoying the season.

There are a TON of parks in Tokyo to go see the blossoms and picnic of you want to do that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#39]
So sorry about the dog update. Hope you get good news soon. I’m dropping mine off tonight for a trip to Asia, always worry something will happen to her
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#40]
No disgusting fat bodies except for two tourists.  Imagine that, showing some pride over your appearance.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Tag, I would really like to go to Japan someday.

I have a friend in my industry who goes every year and he does the Tokyo Auto Salon and I get to see a lot of cool cars and other things.

Also I hope things get worked out with your pup.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the pictures. How much do you figure you spend per week in Japan? Sorry about the dog.  Also used auto parts stores ? Have you ever visited one ? Do junkyards exist ?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Sorry about the dog. Hope it gets sorted.

Japan is a good time. I didn’t get more than a few hours in Tokyo when I went through so I didn’t see anything there

Number 1 question: When you gotta stop for a quick snack or even a lunch on the go do you hit up Family Mart or Lawson’s?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Traveling there in May.  Why is a wifi box required?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Dog is blind in both eyes. Vet cannot see the back of them due to blood. Usually rat poison or hanging.

No Poison on my property. No damage at the house where she would have gotten snagged on anything. No collar at the moment. Some sensitivity in neck area

I trust our sitter. Close family friend. Something happens and no idea what. Cannot think of anything toxic in the house. Specifically rodenticide.

Test results tomorrow.  fucking terrible
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Never been to Asakusa at night so will have to wait till the next visit.

Thanks for sharing and I hope things work out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By JKnight:
Number 1 question: When you gotta stop for a quick snack or even a lunch on the go do you hit up Family Mart or Lawson’s?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By couchlord:

Traveling there in May.  Why is a wifi box required?
View Quote

Your carrier may be fine.  SIM card is an option. I get one because you can charge off of it too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Apologies.  It starts on the 20th.  I was told in a casual conversation that is had already started.    We were there last year for the blossoms.  It was incredible, tons of people socializing and walking around enjoying the season.

There are a TON of parks in Tokyo to go see the blossoms and picnic of you want to do that.
View Quote

Depends on location,  a band member I follow on x posted pics with the cherry blossoms
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Family Mart Chicken and Strong Zero.

You have excellent taste. Another couple of those Strong Zeros and you may wake up missing a kidney though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top