Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2015 11:47:44 PM EDT
Experiences? good, bad? what did you find out? is it legit, accurate?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I see a lot of Sami have taken it to find out where/kind they are.

They seem satisfied.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been curious about that as well.
View Quote

if the method they use is accurate I have to wonder how deep their well is..........how long has it been up and running.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm related to FBHO's father.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm related to FBHO's father.
View Quote

not your fault.

family legend and early research  indications are that I am related to Light Horse Harry. Saving up money to do a proper research.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I took it. I think it was worth it.

Paid $100, spit in a tube, mailed it off, 6 weeks later got an email that the results were in.

Dad always said we were part Indian, guess he was wrong or one of our moms is a whore

I was (roughly) 40% Western Europe, 30% Irish, around 10% Scandinavian, Italian, and Greek.

So basically I'm white as fuck
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:59:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Paid $100, spit in a tube, mailed it off, 6 weeks later got an email that the results were in.

Dad always said we were part Indian, guess he was wrong or one of our moms is a whore

I was (roughly) 40% Western Europe, 30% Irish, around 10% Scandinavian, Italian, and Greek.

View Quote

White privilege maxed out son.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've heard that the results are pretty general and more like a regional dot on a map than a definitive "who are your ancestors" result.
View Quote

Well, every little bit helps.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never give up, never give in.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#12]
They are just building a DNA profile on everyone.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:06:43 AM EDT
[#13]
for some reason, I just don't trust sending my DNA off to some "business", not knowing full well what they do with that information, and is it even accurate..
do they cut a lot of corners to increase profit margin?  Is there another location for '2nd opinion'?  etc...
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

for some reason, I just don't trust sending my DNA off to some "business", not knowing full well what they do with that information, and is it even accurate..

do they cut a lot of corners to increase profit margin?  Is there another location for '2nd opinion'?  etc...
View Quote

use a fake name when you send it in

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Is this the same company that you pay money to so you can work for free and build their global family tree?  But now you can pay them $100 and provide them with a smple of your DNA.  Nice
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rusty Shackleford?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've heard that the results are pretty general and more like a regional dot on a map than a definitive "who are your ancestors" result.

I did it and it was worth it.  But he's right.  For most of us vanilla white dudes it'll probably be anticlimactic.

You'll get a map that's a simplified version of this:

Your ancestors left Africa and went to Europe. Surprise

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:24:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Congratulations, you paid $100 for a piece of paper stating shit you already knew.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#20]
My brother and cousin took it. The results showed 0% Native American which upset our older relatives since it was held as fact that my great grandma was full blood Cherokee.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My brother and cousin took it. The results showed 0% Native American which upset our older relatives since it was held as fact that my great grandma was full blood Cherokee.
View Quote

My family's oral history has always asserted that my great grandmother was listed in the family bible by her first name only because she was Cherokee. She was struck by lightning and died at an early age and there are no photos.  I've always assumed she was probably black and everyone was too embarrassed to admit it.  I'm also not sure there were a lot of Cherokee squaws named Matilda in the late 1800's either.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buck Naked
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My family's oral history has always asserted that my great grandmother was listed in the family bible by her first name only because she was Cherokee. She was struck by lightning and died at an early age and there are no photos.  I've always assumed she was probably black and everyone was too embarrassed to admit it.  I'm also not sure there were a lot of Cherokee squaws named Matilda in the late 1800's either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess my great grandma had black hair and a dark complexion and looked Indian. However all the old census records on Ancestry show her listed as white.  The family story was great grandpa would not let her sign up for Indian benefits because he didn't want Gov't charity. Now it looks like it was because she wasn't Indian...

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1745901_How_Private_DNA_Data_Led_Idaho_Cops_on_a_Wild_Goose_Chase_and_Linked_an_Innocent_Man_to_a___.html
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Familytreedna.com offers the most tools, and has a chromosome browser to let you review matching tests. If you participate in a Surname project, the price of tests is often reduced.
23andme.com is more medically oriented. Not so many tools, rather restrictive in revealing connections.
Ancestry is more profit motivated, and not so long ago dumped their YDNA and mtDNA databases. They offer very few tools, and their brand new "New Ancestry Discovery" is a great way to go wrong. (It will connect up people based on user-submitted trees, not the DNA test. Uggh.)

All three US companies often offer reduced prices on kits, depending on what you want tested. Y-DNA for men. mt-DNA for women. Autosomal DNA for everyone. Do your research.

If you're searching for relatives - get both. (All 3, actually). You don't know where your relatives might have tested.

Newspaper articles rarely point out all the details, especially in the case above. The police had to get court orders to reveal who was in the Sorenson database. Then, they had to get a court order to get the sample from the filmmaker. But if they hadn't got the court order, they'd have got his DNA somehow. Used coffee cup, used tissue, discarded cigarette, half-eaten pizza - all kinds of ways.

{snark}
If you're worried about (whisper it) The Government getting your DNA & using it for nefarious purposes, relax. They've already sold your sample to the Greys and your clone-children are currently working in a methane mine on Titan. Deal with it.
{/snark}
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm part Neanderthal, but my wife had already identified this.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#29]
It is a scam to sell the info to finance and insurance companies.

Also to add to info banks.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm part Neanderthal, but my wife had already identified this.
View Quote

Considering Neandertals invented boats a dozen millennia before the sapien-sapiens did, and lived in lands incredibly difficult to inhabit requiring greater survival skill and daily gear, you should be proud of your ancestors.

The notion that Neandertals were in any way primitive or inferior is a lie based on junk science propogated by Nazi Germany.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Here's my DNA Ethnicity Estimate:

Europe West 71%
Ireland 24%
Great Britain 2%
Scandinavia 1%
Native American< 1%
Caucasus< 1%

Honky 100%
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was always told the same thing. Cousin did it, and grandad was right. We are part indian. Just red dot and not feather.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I know of a black co-worker who took one so that she could show her peeps at work proof that she was, indeed, of African descent even though she had light skin.  I was like then like
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I did the one with National Geographic.

No names were involved. The test had a number on it. After you send it in, you check a website for your number and the result .

It was a waste of money. I knew the information already. We have and always have had very detailed and complete family records.

I am a WASP
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DNA is proving a lot of passed down family history incorrect. My sister in law got her results back and her side of the family had been told for years that there was American Indian lineage, oops, turns out that they have 0 % Native American DNA.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s902.photobucket.com/user/wayneswank/media/met-wife-on-ancestry_zps9djkrt0e.gif.html" target="_blank">http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac228/wayneswank/met-wife-on-ancestry_zps9djkrt0e.gif</a>
View Quote

first cousins?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is this the same company that you pay money to so you can work for free and build their global family tree?  But now you can pay them $100 and provide them with a smple of your DNA.  Nice
View Quote

Yep. Pay for membership, upload your family history as you work on it, which they
then turn around and sell to others who pay for the subscription.
If your subscription runs out, you're cut off, so you can't even get access to the
records that you'd created/worked on.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Call me paranoid, but I can't see anything good coming out of providing a DNA sample to anyone.

ETA - Talk about coincidence... just a few threads down on Active Topics:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1745901_How_Private_DNA_Data_Led_Idaho_Cops_on_a_Wild_Goose_Chase_and_Linked_an_Innocent_Man_to_a___.html
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Experiences? good, bad? what did you find out? is it legit, accurate?
View Quote

Good...then take your results and upload them to ged match
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I did one a while back.

I can't remember the exact numbers.

The Breakdown was something like

Western Europe and Irish combined was well over 75%

Scandinavian over 15%

East African under 5%

American Indian under 5%

Mediterranean under 1%

Eurasian under 1%

North African under 1%
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Mormons? Why?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#43]
By the way, Ancestry is running a $10 off special for Mother's Day. $98.95 out the door.
This will fill in the 3rd leg of the trifecta, for me.

No, I don't work for Ancestry, or FedGov.

Since I don't plan on committing any crimes, I'm not worried about being in a database. Today. Much.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I was always told the same thing. Cousin did it, and grandad was right. We are part indian. Just red dot and not feather.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I swear growing up in east tennessee, every kid claimed to have been from cherokee blood. I'm 100% chinese so I'm definitely not, but I always doubted all that shit about how everyone was a damn indian. What's the deal with everyone wanting to claim they have indian in them? Is it just a proud redneck thing that people can say their family has been here forever?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:05:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Did it... Yup uber white...
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I swear growing up in east tennessee, every kid claimed to have been from cherokee blood. I'm 100% chinese so I'm definitely not, but I always doubted all that shit about how everyone was a damn indian. What's the deal with everyone wanting to claim they have indian in them? Is it just a proud redneck thing that people can say their family has been here forever?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I presume that for some it is a way of alleviating their supposed guilt............
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
Isn't it hilarious?  My family had the same legend.

"She couldn't return to the tribe because their love was forbidden..." Bla bla

Now I find out I'm 100% European and no one in my family believes it.

Everybody's grandmother was an Indian Princess.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It is a scam to sell the info to finance and insurance companies.

Also to add to info banks.

View Quote

You people just don't understand! This car is property of the World Bank, that money goes to Italy!

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:47:16 PM EDT
[#49]
funny how it seems some threads seem to die and then start up again a month or two later..........
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I did the one with National Geographic.

No names were involved. The test had a number on it. After you send it in, you check a website for your number and the result .

It was a waste of money. I knew the information already. We have and always have had very detailed and complete family records.

I am a WASP
View Quote

I did the same procedure.  Confirmed what we already knew via other genealogy methods, spooky really.   Still, it was kind of neat seeing what they had to say.

It was pretty anonymous.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top