BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2015 9:10:52 PM EDT

...20-year-old Murder Case

The New Orleans Advocate recently published a shocking story
that details the very real threats to privacy and civil liberties posed
by law enforcement access to private genetic databases and familial DNA
searching.

The cops chose to use a lab linked to a private collection of genetic genealogical data called the Sorenson Database (now owned by Ancestry.com),
which claims it’s "the foremost collection of genetic genealogy data in
the world.” The reason the Sorenson Database can make such an audacious
claim is because it has obtained its more than 100,000 DNA samples and
documented multi-generational family histories from "volunteers in more
than 100 countries around the world.” Some of these volunteers were encouraged by the Mormon Churchwell-known for its interest in genealogy—to
provide their genetic material to the database. Sorenson promised
volunteers their genetic data would only be used for "genealogical
services, including the determination of family migration patterns and
geographic origins” and would not be shared outside Sorenson. Its consent form states:

The only individuals who will have access to the codes and genealogy
information will be the principal investigator and the others
specifically authorized by the Principal Investigator, including the
SMGF research staff.

Despite this promise, Sorenson shared its vast collection of data with
the Idaho police. Without a warrant or court order, investigators asked
the lab to run the crime scene DNA against Sorenson’s private
genealogical DNA database. Sorenson found 41 potential familial matches,
one of which matched on 34 out of 35 alleles—a
very close match that would generally indicate a close familial
relationship. The cops then asked, not only for the "protected” name
associated with that profile, but also for all "all
information including full names, date of births, date and other
information pertaining to the original donor to the Sorenson Molecular
Genealogy project
.”

They called up Usry, told him they were investigating a hit-and-run, and
asked him to meet with them. Usry thought he "had nothing to hide” and
agreed to the meeting. They took him to an interrogation room,
questioned him without a lawyer present, and eventually collected a DNA
sample.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/05/how-private-dna-data-led-idaho-cops-wild-goose-chase-and-linked-innocent-man-20

View Quote

Well that's not scary at all. - TS
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, law enforcement messing with things they barely understand.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
So much for me sending my DNA to them for such a test.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
"The end justifies the means"

It proved the guy innocent,so it had a happy ending.Why should he (or any of us) worry if he hadn't committed a crime?

This shit (along with many other things) scares the shit out of me.Way too much potential for abuse.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Usry thought he "had nothing to hide” and agreed to the meeting. They took him to an interrogation room, questioned him without a lawyer present, and eventually collected a DNA sample.
View Quote

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Usry thought he "had nothing to hide” and agreed to the meeting. They took him to an interrogation room, questioned him without a lawyer present, and eventually collected a DNA sample.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

first thing that came to my mind as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#7]
That man didn’t fit the age profile of the murderer, so the cops used Sorenson’s genealogical information to trace his male descendant line and find his son, Michael Usry Jr., born in 1979. Then the cops searched Usry’s Facebook page and found he had some Facebook friends who lived somewhat near Idaho Falls. And then through Google searches, the cops learned Usry was a filmmaker who had been involved in making a few short films that had homicide or killings in the story line. (The cop noted in a warrant affidavit “these short films have won awards in several film festivals.”) Based on this completely circumstantial evidence, the Idaho investigators got a warrant to collect a swab of Usry’s DNA.
View Quote

Let's quit even bothering with warrants if they are so damn easy to get.  They aren't protecting anyone and only costing money.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Let's quit even bothering with warrants if they are so damn easy to get.  They aren't protecting anyone and only costing money.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That man didn’t fit the age profile of the murderer, so the cops used Sorenson’s genealogical information to trace his male descendant line and find his son, Michael Usry Jr., born in 1979. Then the cops searched Usry’s Facebook page and found he had some Facebook friends who lived somewhat near Idaho Falls. And then through Google searches, the cops learned Usry was a filmmaker who had been involved in making a few short films that had homicide or killings in the story line. (The cop noted in a warrant affidavit “these short films have won awards in several film festivals.”) Based on this completely circumstantial evidence, the Idaho investigators got a warrant to collect a swab of Usry’s DNA.

Come on now-A warrant makes it all nice and legal like.

Besides,most of the time it seems no one gets in any real trouble if the warrant wasn't exactly obtained on the up and up............
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

never...
you know better.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#12]
From the New Orleans Advocate story: "Detectives traveled to New Orleans in December and persuaded a magistrate judge to sign a search warrant ordering Usry to provide his DNA for comparison."

That line isn't in the EFF article.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Did we not have this dicussion where I said about private DNA testing companies being nothing but a way for the government to build a DNA DATABASE and have the participants pay for it.

Lots of people here on this site had their heads up their own ass and dismissed the concern. How does it feel to know these companies will not even ask for a warrant, they  will just hand it over when some Podunk PD asks for it?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck I hate the government in all of its forms, from the Federal Behemoth down to the pesky, busy-body Barney Fifes of the world.

I hate it all.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fuck I hate the government in all of its forms, from the Federal Behemoth down to the pesky, busy-body Barney Fifes of the world.

I hate it all.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did we not have this dicussion where I said about private DNA testing companies being nothing but a way for the government to build a DNA DATABASE and have the participants pay for it.

Lots of people here on this site had their heads up their own ass and dismissed the concern. How does it feel to know these companies will not even ask for a warrant, they  will just hand it over when some Podunk PD asks for it?
View Quote

Wouldn't surprise me if they are building it thru the healthcare system as well.........................

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Wouldn't surprise me if they are building it thru the healthcare system as well.........................

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just like the second party license plate databases.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you. The EFF article is incomplete. Twice, the police had to ask for warrants.

Now, if you can find a way for me to figure out who my 4xgreat grandparents were, in rural New York, in 1810, without DNA testing, I'd be willing to listen. Mind you, the family has been looking for a very long time. Right now, my 3x great grandpa is connectd to AT LEAST 4 different fathers, 5 different mothers. Someone's not been doing a good job of documenting their sources!

But you go ahead and believe it serves no purpose other than building a database for the government for nefarious purposes. No problem.
Oh, and by the way, tinfoil gets saturated. It needs to be changed out, regularly. Where shall I send the next roll?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thank you. The EFF article is incomplete. Twice, the police had to ask for warrants.

Now, if you can find a way for me to figure out who my 4xgreat grandparents were, in rural New York, in 1810, without DNA testing, I'd be willing to listen. Mind you, the family has been looking for a very long time. Right now, my 3x great grandpa is connectd to AT LEAST 4 different fathers, 5 different mothers. Someone's not been doing a good job of documenting their sources!

But you go ahead and believe it serves no purpose other than building a database for the government for nefarious purposes. No problem.
Oh, and by the way, tinfoil gets saturated. It needs to be changed out, regularly. Where shall I send the next roll?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are voluntarily providing you DNA profile to a company, that might be bought merged, or have their Dbase acquired during a bankruptcy. By pretty much anyone. We already know that there is heinous shit going on behind closed doors via internet and other communications companies, covered by the FISA COURT ORDERS,  national security letters, and you think these outfits are going to protect DNA records.

Apparently finding out who your 4 generations grandpapy was is more important than the government or some company getting a hold of your DNA records...Which always have your best interest in depths of their black hearts.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said it didn't serve any other purpose?

Sure you can maybe track down your ancestry,but to think it wont be abused/used by the gov. is naive.

The gov. has their hands in nearly everything,and that sure as shit will get worse.How many things that were "tinfoil" some years back are true now??
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:22:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I hate it all.
View Quote

x87 brother.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#23]
No shit?  

People who bemoan the evils of the NSA, afraid of a private company's DNA database being used for nefarious purposes by the government...

...posting on the Internet and not at all worried about Google?

Who has met more with the President?  Director of NSA or CEO of Google?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't seem to see the problem.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate it all.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's shocking.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I hate it all.
View Quote

You're triggering the hell out of the fascists on this board.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's shocking.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's shocking.  

Sounds like good investigative work to me.   A buccal swab isn't intrusive and apparently a judge agreed there was probable cause for the search.

The suspect doesn't have standing to complain that someone else provided and a sample to the Sorensen database.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sounds like good investigative work to me.   A buccal swab isn't intrusive and apparently a judge agreed there was probable cause for the search.

The suspect doesn't have standing to complain that someone else provided and a sample to the Sorensen database.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's shocking.  

The fact that you think this is perfectly good probable cause (along with other tenuous leads that have lead to warrants) leads me to question how shitty a connection there needs to be before it's not PC.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very scary indeed.

Also, very facepalm inducing.

Usry thought he "had nothing to hide” and agreed to the meeting.
View Quote

<sigh>  
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

<sigh>  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

<sigh>  

I'm sure if he did decline,they would have made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

The end justifies the means,and I doubt they would have just let it go without going after him.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Very scary indeed.

<sigh>  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very scary indeed.

<sigh>  

He probably saved his dog's life by going in since they had a search warrant already.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#33]
...and this is why I no longer want government to have the power to kill people.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The fact that you think this is perfectly good probable cause (along with other tenuous leads that have lead to warrants) leads me to question how shitty a connection there needs to be before it's not PC.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's shocking.  

1.  Did you read the affidavit? It's actually a pretty good connection.
2. A buccal swab is so Unintrusive  judges really don't get all that worked up about it. It's not like they are strapping him down and taking his blood.
3. You frequently confuse the different legal standards of probable cause and beyond a reasonable doubt. Probable cause can be as low as a 40% chance some courts have ruled.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
1.  Did you read the affidavit? It's actually a pretty good connection.
2. A buccal swab is so Unintrusive  judges really don't get all that worked up about it. It's not like they are strapping him down and taking his blood.
3. You frequently confuse the different legal standards of probable cause and beyond a reasonable doubt. Probable cause can be as low as a 40% chance some courts have ruled.

View Quote

1.  I did.  The guy had some facebook friends in the general area and his sisters went to school a half-hour drive away although there's no records of him ever even applying to the school.  A "it's probable" that someone within 3 or 4 generations of the sample matched the record.  He makes films.  The one guy in prison that hasn't given a single bit of useful information said the name Mike a few times.   Consider me unimpressed.
2.  I'm glad that judges don't get that worked up about taking samples by threat of force.  Really adds to my comfort with the system.
3.  I understand them completely.  But then some folks back in the thread about cops stopping about 25 cars in an intersection and taking everyone out at gunpoint was also probable cause to catch a bank robber so ~40% seems at least 38% high.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top