Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, it's a hobby gun, and I like my hobby.

My serious "social" gun is still 5.56

So instead of a hot rod or a dune buggy, I spend my money on a 300 BLK and associated gear for it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably not.  I live in CA part of the year so the suppressor has to stay in WA.  I might use it in super for deer season in CA though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
"So ppl who bought into 300BO, would you do it again?"
Just to remind people what the original question was. Not if you've never owned 300 blk,  why do you think your pet round is better.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Right out of the box, my home-built .300 pistol has never misfired once, with or without the can.
I have fired home made brass and factory loads of various weights and it works flawless.
My carbine had a few hiccups but with home loads right off the charts it works perfectly.
A little time and effort and these guns are a lot of fun.
I like to tinker and build different things, this is the ultimate Lego set.
5.56" and .223" are fine but its nothing new.
The problems that people report with this round is nothing more than a few bugs are a few bad rounds.
In a proper setup. errors are few and far between.
I can make brass easily and recycling is even easier.
The .300 Blackout also performs with about half the powder, so a pound of powder goes a lot further.
I'd do this again in a heartbeat, there is always skeptics and people who will not jump on board for various reasons.
I would not compare this to an AK round, its way cooler than that.
Allowing the wide use of AR parts is a no-brainer.
The modular adaptability far exceeds the AK's applications.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
i would, but I can easily convert brass.  I just wish I could find 1680 more readily.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i would, but I can easily convert brass.  I just wish I could find 1680 more readily.
View Quote

I have had some succes with IMR 4227 and Lil Gun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Subs and supers in one tiny package that use all the components I already have in stock?  Yes please!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I had an 300bo upper for about half a year.  Watched several hogs get hit with good shots and keep on running until they were gone.  Shots that would have been guaranteed one shot drops from a 5.56.  The last straw was when I shot a raccoon and it ran off as well.  I sold the upper and never looked back.

So in short, no, I wouldn't recommend it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
It does what it was designed to do very well. I reload, so I couldn't care less about ammo availability - I almost never shoot factory rounds in any of my guns. Very quiet with my suppressor, fun to shoot at night without bothering the 'neighbors' (they're 1/4 mile away), and I haven't had to play with buffers or springs or anything, to be honest. I tune my loads to get the rifle to run reliably on stock AR parts and call it a day. I have a number of different guns that serve a number of different purposes. For shooting quietly at night in a rifle package that reuses my worn-out 223 brass, this is a very good choice.  

tl;dr: yes, I would do it again.

One of my 300 BLKs:

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I havent gotten into it yet but once I finish a few projects I will be building a 10" probably a pistol first then SBR'ing it,mostly to be fired suppressed..
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had an 300bo upper for about half a year.  Watched several hogs get hit with good shots and keep on running until they were gone.  Shots that would have been guaranteed one shot drops from a 5.56.  The last straw was when I shot a raccoon and it ran off as well.  I sold the upper and never looked back.

View Quote

Subs or supers?  Bullet construction?  Range?  Shot placement?

All my coyote shots have been one shot stops.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he shot a coon and it ran off, he had a bad shot.  no other way to define it.  I took down a coon last year 100gr subsonic he did the kickin chickin and expired.

If his hogs got away it was because he either used the wrong bullet or again I would suggest maybe he is not as good as a shot as he thinks?

of 12 white tail deer shot with 300blk only one got away, and I am ashamed to admit it but she got away because I took a bad shot.  And 11 of those were with subs, and one with supersonic.

Every time this comes up I ask what bullet they were using and usually it does not get answered.  on the rare occasion it gets answered it is almost always the wrong bullet, and on the occasion it is the right bullet, then it has to be a bad shot.  But not many hunters want to admit that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#13]
My adventure started before there was a 300blk.  I have never been dependent on manufacturers for anything but the components to make rounds, and lately that has only required powder and primers.

So yep Would have done the same thing.  Except I would have bought several 8lb jugs of 1680 before it got scarce.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Just started here. Took a doe with my new upper yesterday.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I haven't been able to find any H110 or AA1680, so that is a real downer.
View Quote

There are other powders that work well. Such as imr 4227 which cabelas always seems to have.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rem 300blk 220 otm subs.  Chest and neck shots
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If he shot a coon and it ran off, he had a bad shot.  no other way to define it.  I took down a coon last year 100gr subsonic he did the kickin chickin and expired.

If his hogs got away it was because he either used the wrong bullet or again I would suggest maybe he is not as good as a shot as he thinks?

of 12 white tail deer shot with 300blk only one got away, and I am ashamed to admit it but she got away because I took a bad shot.  And 11 of those were with subs, and one with supersonic.

Every time this comes up I ask what bullet they were using and usually it does not get answered.  on the rare occasion it gets answered it is almost always the wrong bullet, and on the occasion it is the right bullet, then it has to be a bad shot.  But not many hunters want to admit that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to accept what many hog hunters already know.  The round sucks.  Go check the hog hunting forum and see what others think.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subs are not for hunting, that's your problem.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I would, I'm pretty happy with it. I don't shoot it too often, but I recently found bulk at the local fun shop. I do reload too and have been pretty successful at making my own brass. My biggest problem is I have too little time and too many irons in the fire. Which is why I bought 500 rounds of bulk the other day. Now if Wolf started making bulk, I'd be set.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard subs are known to be pretty shitty in terms of terminal ballistics.  Supers are supposed to be better.  But if I am shooting supersonic, what advantage does the blackout provide?  I can use 7.62x39 or 5.56 if I want to shoot supersonic and those are cheaper (I don't reload much).  The 300 BO an answer for a problem that I haven't found yet.

Not to say it's not fun to shoot subs.  I just don't have any room for range toys.  All my stuff gets used.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You don't have to accept what many hog hunters already know.  The round sucks.  Go check the hog hunting forum and see what others think.  Sorry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep you were using the wrong bullet.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought mine ~3 years ago and haven't gotten around to getting a suppressor yet. I still like it though. Its fun to shoot but I dont get to shoot it enough. My biggest regret is putting my meprolight on top of it, rather than an AR that I shoot more often. Guess I can fix that pretty easily though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've heard subs are known to be pretty shitty in terms of terminal ballistics.  Supers are supposed to be better.  But if I am shooting supersonic, what advantage does the blackout provide?  I can use 7.62x39 or 5.56 if I want to shoot supersonic and those are cheaper (I don't reload much).  The 300 BO an answer for a problem that I haven't found yet.

Not to say it's not fun to shoot subs.  I just don't have any room for range toys.  All my stuff gets used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

x39 ballistics in an ar15, that works, and works with all the same parts as .223 save for a barrel swap. In some states .223 is too small to hunt large game with.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subs with a properly designed bullet are great for hunting
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I just bought into this novelty round with a .300blk pistol from Primary Arms

I'll be ordering reloading dies soon to keep ammo costs down.

= Happy Camper

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I got one for hunting.  Makes carrying 2 rifles in the field an easier option.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
in the middle of building mine
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I think it's a great hunting round, and it's a good defensive round with a supressor.  I want one, but keep telling myself w/o a can it doesn't do anything my 6.8 won't do, and a can just isn't in my budget for the forseeable future.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may be, but I've gotten better results from a supressed 9mm SBR with 124g fmj.  Here is a thread where a member here talks about shooting a squirrel and it running 15 yards.  Then he puts another one in its head from point blank range and you can barely see where he hit it.  There are pics if you want to see:  https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=9&t=672019

I know if I shot that squirrel with any 5.56 round it wouldn't look like that.  I'm sorry, but my experience and many others that have tested the round on hogs simply don't agree.  But I'm sure you will also find a few that may like it. I know dehog likes it to use for new hunters, which I dont necisarially disagree with.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Loving it. Got back into casting, and learned a new skill- powdercoating.
Shooting 23 trainers suppressed. Really cool. Kills Turkeys DRT too
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Subsonic Squirrel hunting since you brought it up

just a few of the countless tree rats I have put down

Rabbit

just a few of the deer I have taken.

his liver

snake just because he was threatening my chickens

You will have to forgive me but when someone tells me it does not work, you might see why I have my doubts.  and in almost every situation it comes down to the wrong projectile.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That may be, but I've gotten better results from a supressed 9mm SBR with 124g fmj.  Here is a thread where a member here talks about shooting a squirrel and it running 15 yards.  Then he puts another one in its head from point blank range and you can barely see where he hit it.  There are pics if you want to see:  https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=9&t=672019

I know if I shot that squirrel with any 5.56 round it wouldn't look like that.  I'm sorry, but my experience and many others that have tested the round on hogs simply don't agree.  But I'm sure you will also find a few that may like it. I know dehog likes it to use for new hunters, which I dont necisarially disagree with.
View Quote

were you using SMK's? if so thats your issue.. they poke holes and not much else..

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

were you using SMK's? if so thats your issue.. they poke holes and not much else..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which continues to be my point.  yet some  will continue to tell me it does not work  That and shot placement.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We all know how 300BO is the new wonder round that does everything.

I never bought into it, yeah the subsonic is insanely quiet (I own a 30 cal can) but the cost of ammo was always a big deterrent for me. So ppl who bought into 300BO, would you do it again?
View Quote

Yes, absolutely, especially and particularly for 16 inch carbine barrels.  BECAUSE...

5.56 rounds were originally designed to tumble when hitting the target, which is where it gets it lethal punch.  In order to do this it needs to be travelling at a specific velocity.  The powders and bullet were specifically engineered to travel at that velocity after coming out of a 20 inch rifle barrel...BUT when they chopped the barrel down to 16 inches (or 14 inches for the military version)  the cartridge is wasting 20% of its power because the powder hasn't been allowed to build up to the required pressure by the time the bullet exits the barrel.

.300 BK on the other hand is specifically designed for 16 inch barrels because it uses faster burning pistol powder like Lil gun or H110.  The versatility is excellent ebcuase up to 150 gran bullets the round has all the punch of an AK-47 round but with much greater accuracy, and heavier bullets become subsonic.  It has way, WAY more punch coming out of a carbine barrel the 5.56, and the great thing os that all it takes is a new barrel to convert your AR..  Due to its heavier weight it is barrier blind, meaning that it doesn't veer from its course after going though a target.  This is one of the biggest gripes about 5.56, especially going through a windshield.

The two main problems with the .300 BK are

-Cost- This is a relatively new round so as it converts more followers the costs will certainly come down.  Colt just released an AR-15 in 300 BK just this year so the audience is definitely growing
-distance- Beyond 100 yards the punch drop significantly, but the round was never meant to be a long distance man killer.  If you wanted to hit a target out to 500 yards you would use a heavuer roud like 7.62 NATO or .50 BMG anyway.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not really new. IIRC Twenty years ago it was called 300 Whisper.
View Quote

It's origins begin with the .300-221 fireball which morphed into the 300 Whisper. Offshoots of that brough the 7.62x40mm which started out as a project caliber on this board as a supersonic alternative. It was eventually picked up by Wilson Tactical and is now known as the 7.62x40WT.

Personally I like the idea of the 7.62x40 as you can push a 110gr bullet at 2600fps. You can still load it subsonic , but it's not as efficient. Eventually I'll get around to building one.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Which continues to be my point.  yet some  will continue to tell me it does not work  That and shot placement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it dosnt work! its a failed caliber!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know right
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't have a suppressor yet, but I'd go .300BLK again without hesitation. Mine is a 10.5" pistol that I mainly use for hunting hogs at night. It's light, very handy, and works perfectly for what I want. It has handled every load from 110gr TacTX to 220gr OTM perfectly with no problems at all. Even with the supersonic loads, it's not very loud unsuppressed.

Honestly though, I doubt most people would see a difference in performance between the .300, 6.8, or 6.5 for most situations. If you want a really short barrel, the BLK will shine. If you are planning on a 16", you might want to consider the 6.5 or 6.8.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#40]
am happy with my build, its a good upper, but still didn't break the bank so I'm not 'out' much.   300BLK came at a bad time, there was crazy panic buying, scarcity all around, and now its finally starting  to be come available and more mainstream.  It hasn't been that long we've had a stable market so now that there isn't crazy panic buying I think we'll see how mainstream it can become.  Once it does and you have commodity ammo, people will buy and shoot it thus becoming less of a niche.

Although speaking of this thread I sure am torn...does anyone find a reason to get a 16'' 300BLK if one already has an 8''?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to contact Colt, since you obviously know soemthign they don't-

Colt AR-14 .300 Blackout review
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I've looked into it several times and always concluded that it costs too much money and too much time to make it economical to shoot.  I'd rather spend a lot less money, get a 9mm AR, and quietly shoot my $0.09 reloads I already make through the can I already have.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes.  I found out about it after I had a .308 can, which is what the round was made for IHMO.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You need to contact Colt, since you obviously know soemthign they don't-

Colt AR-14 .300 Blackout review
View Quote

LULZ..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1674562_OMG_success_30_cal_subsonic_expander_.html
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes, absolutely, especially and particularly for 16 inch carbine barrels.  BECAUSE...

5.56 rounds were originally designed to tumble when hitting the target, which is where it gets it lethal punch.  In order to do this it needs to be travelling at a specific velocity.  The powders and bullet were specifically engineered to travel at that velocity after coming out of a 20 inch rifle barrel...BUT when they chopped the barrel down to 16 inches (or 14 inches for the military version)  the cartridge is wasting 20% of its power because the powder hasn't been allowed to build up to the required pressure by the time the bullet exits the barrel.

.300 BK on the other hand is specifically designed for 16 inch barrels because it uses faster burning pistol powder like Lil gun or H110.  The versatility is excellent ebcuase up to 150 gran bullets the round has all the punch of an AK-47 round but with much greater accuracy, and heavier bullets become subsonic.  It has way, WAY more punch coming out of a carbine barrel the 5.56, and the great thing os that all it takes is a new barrel to convert your AR..  Due to its heavier weight it is barrier blind, meaning that it doesn't veer from its course after going though a target.  This is one of the biggest gripes about 5.56, especially going through a windshield.

-Cost- This is a relatively new round so as it converts more followers the costs will certainly come down.  Colt just released an AR-15 in 300 BK just this year so the audience is definitely growing
-distance- Beyond 100 yards the punch drop significantly, but the round was never meant to be a long distance man killer.  If you wanted to hit a target out to 500 yards you would use a heavuer roud like 7.62 NATO or .50 BMG anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We all know how 300BO is the new wonder round that does everything.

I never bought into it, yeah the subsonic is insanely quiet (I own a 30 cal can) but the cost of ammo was always a big deterrent for me. So ppl who bought into 300BO, would you do it again?

That is an incredible amount of bullshit to squeeze into a single post.

Did I see you leaning on the counter at the gun shop on Friday afternoon?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#49]
GD check.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#50]
I have two 300's and really like the calibre a lot. So I said yes.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top