Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an appreciation for the caliber.
View Quote

I like it out of the bolt gun more then my sbr Ar or Leonidas integral.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
am happy with my build, its a good upper, but still didn't break the bank so I'm not 'out' much.   300BLK came at a bad time, there was crazy panic buying, scarcity all around, and now its finally starting  to be come available and more mainstream.  It hasn't been that long we've had a stable market so now that there isn't crazy panic buying I think we'll see how mainstream it can become.  Once it does and you have commodity ammo, people will buy and shoot it thus becoming less of a niche.

Although speaking of this thread I sure am torn...does anyone find a reason to get a 16'' 300BLK if one already has an 8''?
View Quote

I did,  before I shot my 8.5". I was supprized and amazed that it was every bit as accurate.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Subsonic Squirrel hunting since you brought it up

just a few of the countless tree rats I have put down

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/gdsjr/media/hunting/1130130836_zps5a042618.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/gdsjr/hunting/1130130836_zps5a042618.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/gdsjr/media/hunting/1128130909_zpsc1f89f37.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/gdsjr/hunting/1128130909_zpsc1f89f37.jpg</a>

Rabbit
<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/gdsjr/media/hunting/1025132126a_zpscf83639a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/gdsjr/hunting/1025132126a_zpscf83639a.jpg</a>

just a few of the deer I have taken.

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/gdsjr/media/hunting/1121131945_zps797a0761.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/gdsjr/hunting/1121131945_zps797a0761.jpg</a>

his liver
<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/gdsjr/media/hunting/1121132152c_zps6cca914a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/gdsjr/hunting/1121132152c_zps6cca914a.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/gdsjr/media/hunting/1210120837.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/gdsjr/hunting/1210120837.jpg</a>

snake just because he was threatening my chickens
<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/user/gdsjr/media/hunting/0901131419_zpsev0qzdzp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/gdsjr/hunting/0901131419_zpsev0qzdzp.jpg</a>

You will have to forgive me but when someone tells me it does not work, you might see why I have my doubts.  and in almost every situation it comes down to the wrong projectile.
View Quote

You are just proving my point.  That's pretty embarrassing damage for a rifle round IMO.  Sure, they all died.  But that's not serious damage at all.  Here is a shoat that I hit with m193 from about 50 yds.  Notice the difference?  

I'm not saying the round is useless.  It's a fun round to mess with if you are a reloader and you want a quiet rifle.  But it is a niche round.  And with subsonic rounds you give up energy and fragmentation.  I understand you can use some special bullets that expand.  I know fat mc nasty makes some very interesting options that perform well.  But the question was would I do it again.  No, I wouldn't. My experience is that it doesn't justify the cost and it just doesn't translate into more kills (actually get less kills).  On top of that, there are many other cartridges with more options that offer better performance at a much cheaper price.  My use is for killing hogs so ymmv.  A deer is not a hog.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
If your point is that the only way to kill animals is to turn them into a fine red mist then sure, I proved your point

Those were all subsonic, You are the first person to tell me that the subsonic cast hollow point damage was sorry.

The fact is you don't need to use a 300 wiz bang magnum going mach 4 setting your hair on fire dislocating your shoulder being heard 3 counties just to shoot an animal at 50 yds.

I keep having people tell me it can't be done.  I keep having experts tell me that they keep losing deer to 300blk subs.  and as I already said. if I can get them to admit it, like you they were using the wrong bullet.

But they are so sure that it just means that the 300blk is a useless hunting cartridge, because they are the expert and I am the amateur and I am able to consistently do what they keep saying can't be done.

Either way, carry on I hope you continue to have more successful harvests.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've heard subs are known to be pretty shitty in terms of terminal ballistics.  Supers are supposed to be better.  But if I am shooting supersonic, what advantage does the blackout provide?  I can use 7.62x39 or 5.56 if I want to shoot supersonic and those are cheaper (I don't reload much).  The 300 BO an answer for a problem that I haven't found yet.

Not to say it's not fun to shoot subs.  I just don't have any room for range toys.  All my stuff gets used.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had an 300bo upper for about half a year.  Watched several hogs get hit with good shots and keep on running until they were gone.  Shots that would have been guaranteed one shot drops from a 5.56.  The last straw was when I shot a raccoon and it ran off as well.  I sold the upper and never looked back.

So in short, no, I wouldn't recommend it.

Subs or supers?  Bullet construction?  Range?  Shot placement?

All my coyote shots have been one shot stops.

Rem 300blk 220 otm subs.  Chest and neck shots

Subs are not for hunting, that's your problem.

I've heard subs are known to be pretty shitty in terms of terminal ballistics.  Supers are supposed to be better.  But if I am shooting supersonic, what advantage does the blackout provide?  I can use 7.62x39 or 5.56 if I want to shoot supersonic and those are cheaper (I don't reload much).  The 300 BO an answer for a problem that I haven't found yet.

Not to say it's not fun to shoot subs.  I just don't have any room for range toys.  All my stuff gets used.

There is your bullet answer. He was shooting subs.  Few. 308 bullets expand at sub sonic velocity.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an LWRC REPR with a can. I buy subsonic .308 off the shelf so I have use for the 300
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You are just proving my point.  That's pretty embarrassing damage for a rifle round IMO.  Sure, they all died.  But that's not serious damage at all.  Here is a shoat that I hit with m193 from about 50 yds.  Notice the difference?  

View Quote

Whoa man, your results using a 3200fps rifle cartridge were better than using a 1000fps one? Mind blowing. I look forward to your further valuable contributions on the subject.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:21:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Bullet pics..

this will do what a sub SMK will not.  

using up some of the seconds!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There is your bullet answer. He was shooting subs.  Few. 308 bullets expand at sub sonic velocity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subs or supers?  Bullet construction?  Range?  Shot placement?

All my coyote shots have been one shot stops.

Rem 300blk 220 otm subs.  Chest and neck shots

Subs are not for hunting, that's your problem.

Which is what I keep saying.  if you are going to hunt with subs you need to use an expanding bullet, there are not a lot out there, but they do exist and perform exponentially better on game. But instead, people continue to use the wrong bullet and then claim it is the cartridge.  To further prove his point.  I took 2 down with hard cast non expanding bullet I was not happy with the results.  straight thru both lungs, one dropped on the spot and one dropped after 25 yds.  like a pencil. very little tissue disruption and on the one that ran, little to no blood trail.   I modified the bullet with a hollow point and I am ecstatic with the change in performance.  For some reason Hogs are sooooo much harder to kill with a bullet then white tail.  I get that shot placement is more critical on a hog, But no more critical then a wild dog, and I have had to take several of them down.  By some peoples logical thinking I could not have recovered those 2 deer because I was using the wrong bullet. Which I was, But shot placement made up for that.  Not that I encourage using the wrong bullet.  but don't use the wrong bullet and fail and then blame it on the 300blk.  And shot placement trumps everything.

Lets not forget that for years the .223 was consider only for varmints.  hunters tried it on larger game with poor results.  It was deemed useless for anything larger then a coyote, and even that was considered big.  But in reality hunters were using the wrong projectile.  As bullet design got better, .224 bullets were designed that perform much better on deer and hogs.  It was not that the .223 was inadequate for deer and hogs, it was that the bullet designs initially were inadequate.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm pretty happy with mine.  The whole gun was made to be a super light weight hunting rifle with under 100 yards of range (Western Oregon is not very flat and has many obstacles).  It's killed three deer with very excellent results.  My hunting buddy built one and killed a deer with his blackout this season.  

I would gladly do it again, though if I were to do it again now I would not use the same barrel maker.  Grim Reaper Tactical went super sketchy and I had to get on his ass to even get my barrel.  Lots of people just lost their money entirely.  If I were to build a new one,  I'd use a Seekins barrel with radial fluting.  Super sexy!  I'd also use their rail because it weighs less than the one I am using now.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If your point is that the only way to kill animals is to turn them into a fine red mist then sure, I proved your point

Those were all subsonic, You are the first person to tell me that the subsonic cast hollow point damage was sorry.

The fact is you don't need to use a 300 wiz bang magnum going mach 4 setting your hair on fire dislocating your shoulder being heard 3 counties just to shoot an animal at 50 yds.

I keep having people tell me it can't be done.  I keep having experts tell me that they keep losing deer to 300blk subs.  and as I already said. if I can get them to admit it, like you they were using the wrong bullet.

But they are so sure that it just means that the 300blk is a useless hunting cartridge, because they are the expert and I am the amateur and I am able to consistently do what they keep saying can't be done.

Either way, carry on I hope you continue to have more successful harvests.
View Quote

That whiz bang super duper animal misting round you are looking at is $.25 per round 55g 5.56.  Probably on the bottom end of acceptable damage for a hunting round IMO.  I can see why you would think it was a large amount of damage as it sounds like you are used to seeing 300 blackout wounds.  But hey, I just prefer to use rifles with more wounding potential than handguns.  Not sure why you are so butthurt over it.  As I've said the entire time, It's an expensive round that doesn't offer much benefit to me because subsonic rounds don't do enough damage and there are cheaper supersonic options.  Nothing you have said or shown refutes that.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Whoa man, your results using a 3200fps rifle cartridge were better than using a 1000fps one? Mind blowing. I look forward to your further valuable contributions on the subject.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, so you agree that a supersonic $.25 5.56 round offers better performance than the $.50 to $1 .300 blackout sub?  As I've said all along, there are better rounds out there with more options and cheaper prices.  Seems like you agree as well.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use mine with 125gr supers for deer.

I was going to build a subsonic 8" pistol or SBR, but the cost of heavy 30cal projectiles steared me away.

View Quote

4227+150gr bullets=subsonic (and cycles)
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#15]
My reply won't fit in with the OP's exact wording of the thread title.

I am in Illinois, so suppressors are verboten.

A few years ago I had some money burning a hole in my pocket.  There was this AR in the Cabela's gun library, which got my attention.  Here is this black plastic gun in amongst all these wood and blued o/u and SxS shotguns.  Upon closer inspection, it was chambered in 7.62X39.  I snatched it up.

I already reloaded at the time, but if I had lived in Missouri where suppressors are legal, then, yeah, I would have gone the .300 Blackout route.

Me personally I only see the point of .300 Blackout if:

1.  You can legally have suppressors

AND

2.  You reload already

But that is just my opinion...

On a different note:  is anybody making or importing steel cased .300 Blackout?

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Iown multiple uppers.   The only reason I own a 16" is I bought it first.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:59:14 AM EDT
[#17]
It really shines as a SBR/Pistol IMO. I have an 8" build that is my HD gun. When I put a suppressor on it, then it is still shorter/lighter than most 16" 556 or 6.8, and plenty lethal. You don't have to worry about the velocity loss.

I also have a 16" upper I bought for deer. I'm not sure if I will keep that or not, since I moved to more open terrain and got a 6.8.

To answer the OPs question, I'd say that it depends on the planned use. If you want a suppressed SBR for supers and subs, it's the way to go. It also has some other applications it does well (Deer at 100 yards and in, HD...).

If you want a range plinker, and you don't reload, stay away. Even if you do reload, I prefer to plink with 556 (disclaimer, I'm still waiting on my .30 cal suppressor stamp).
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top