Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking not much is going to change until Lockheed can get one of their new-fangled fusion reactors small & light enough to be carried by one of those powered exoskeleton systems. Once that happens shit is going to get interesting real fast.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The next big thing will be the Sig Bumpfire Brace.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
3d printed parts for guns.

remove a lot of work from the manufacture.

The space-X folks 3d print their rocket engines.

3d printing (not at home) should allow for a lot of new designs to come out, and a reduction in the prices of some components
View Quote

3D metal printers will be great when they hit the market..
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Semi caseless ammo will be the future.

The case would end just about wheree case head separation occures, the cartidge would then headspace off this, it would use a standard type primer and the new cartidge would use a propellant that will not fire under heat only from the primers pressure eleminating the cook off problem the g11 had. The case head would also help remove some heat from the chamber, less ejection errors will ocure due to the reduced surface area of the case.

The advantages would be less weight, potentially higher performance and lower cost.
View Quote

LOL someone doesn't know about he functions of a case.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Guns with video camera sights that allow shooting around corners and from behind cover.  I have seen prototypes but nothing as great as it could be.  And yes, it might be nice if it used Google glass or something similar.
View Quote

Dumb, for most purposes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#6]
"long hanging fruit" ?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#7]
We seem to be making the crazy decision to go away from lead, for projectiles.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
US experimented with this in the 70's  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fin-stabilized discarding-sabot sporting rounds is what I'd like to see.

Thinking of a finned TSX launched at 4500-5000 fps through a smooth bore barrel...ought to be doable, but getting them to shoot where you want would be a real challenge.

Terminal effects would suck.
US experimented with this in the 70's  

AND.......

wait for it

terminal effects sucked and it was abandoned.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have just over 5,000 rounds through an LSAT. I'm convinced that telescopic cased ammunition is the future. They're working on retrofitting an M4 to use the ammo, once that happens, it's game over for brass. There's just too much benefit from the telescopic cases to ignore.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3d printed parts for guns.

remove a lot of work from the manufacture.

The space-X folks 3d print their rocket engines.

3d printing (not at home) should allow for a lot of new designs to come out, and a reduction in the prices of some components

They already exist, are on the market, and I've held some incredibly interesting prints...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]
LSAT set to burst
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm thinking not much is going to change until Lockheed can get one of their new-fangled fusion reactors small & light enough to be carried by one of those powered exoskeleton systems. Once that happens shit is going to get interesting real fast.
View Quote

Only if someone figures out energy shields.

I WANT MY HALO ARMOR, DAMMIT!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The G11 actually did work, contrary to the rumors. Fit for service... Probably not. But it functioned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess the closest logical next step will be caseless ammunition.

Like the H&K G11?

Yes but it will actually work.

The G11 actually did work, contrary to the rumors. Fit for service... Probably not. But it functioned.

Ammo had issues

Mechanism was a cookoo clock

Careless ammo had a decent chance with bolt action hunting rifles like from blaser, but it didn't really have any advantages except for gumming up tight actions quickly in outdoor conditions.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The case would end just about wheree case head separation occures, the cartidge would then headspace off this, it would use a standard type primer and the new cartidge would use a propellant that will not fire under heat only from the primers pressure eleminating the cook off problem the g11 had. The case head would also help remove some heat from the chamber, less ejection errors will ocure due to the reduced surface area of the case.

The advantages would be less weight, potentially higher performance and lower cost.

gas seal mostly, the lower section near the head takes all the abuse, they do remove some heat also. designed correctly I can't see why you need more case then what takes abuse.

Polymer cases function, caseless functioned. kinda poorly but they do work. why not a hybrid system?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fawk yeah!...I mean it..
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Heat seeking boolits
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

gas seal mostly, the lower section near the head takes all the abuse, they do remove some heat also. designed correctly I can't see why you need more case then what takes abuse.

Polymer cases function, caseless functioned. kinda poorly but they do work. why not a hybrid system?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remind me again why PCA went out of business?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
LSAT set to burst
View Quote

Your pre-edit post was more interesting, but its my understanding that that ammo cannot be reloaded/hand loaded, so civilian acceptance will be slow, if it ever happens.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get what your saying, but they designed ammo for cartridges in use, rather then creating a cartridge that would work with the ammo.

and its not really the same as I'm thinking, where you'd use the bottom portion of the case that takes the most abuse and would create a adequate seal, and only use that, the rest of the case would consist of the propellant.

I mean, why not, its a fun topic in GD, not like I'm standing in front of a bunch of investors, the reality is in our lifetimes nothing is going to come around and unseat the standard cartridge as we know it.. any other advances will be in cost and material saving measures. that's reality and fucking boring.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ammo had issues

Careless ammo had a decent chance with bolt action hunting rifles like from blaser, but it didn't really have any advantages except for gumming up tight actions quickly in outdoor conditions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like the H&K G11?

Yes but it will actually work.

Ammo had issues

At the end of the G11 program, the ammunition appears to have been worked out. There were shitloads of issues earlier in the program. HITP fixed most of them.

Yes, the gun was excessively complicated. But the claims that it "didn't work" are massive exaggerations. The faults of the G11, were mostly the G11, not its last-iteration ammunition.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#22]
My personal thoughts are aerosolized propellents. Lots of technological problems to overcome, like sealing, and being able to unload the weapon. But imagine as you pull the trigger a perfect air fuel mixture is injected into the chamber, different velocities, compensation for altitude and temperature, as well as bullet weight. Supposedly it's the next evolution in tank rounds, no reason not to scale it down.

Think Fuel Air explosive in your gun. Maybe electronics to take care of loading and and everything else, maybe some functions recoil operated. I've thought long and hard about this one but there are really just safety issues to overcome. I think I could make a muzzle/breach loader that worked on the concept.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Your pre-edit post was more interesting, but its my understanding that that ammo cannot be reloaded/hand loaded, so civilian acceptance will be slow, if it ever happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LSAT set to burst

The tech providers didn't seem to know the answers to my questions on cartridge specifics. They did make sure to collect every piece of empty "brass" they possibly could for longevity research. From what I gathered, there's nothing physically preventing reloading the spent cases, it's just a specialized press. So I see no reason you couldn't reload them.

Even if you can't reload them, they did say that the cost per empty case was less than 1/12th of a cent. So as long as you have the press, just buy new cases instead of reloading old ones. You'd still be way cheaper than brass once supply got out there. IIRC they contracted the ammo for our experiment from Fiocchi, so the tooling obviously wasn't too hard to work up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I get what your saying, but they designed ammo for cartridges in use, rather then creating a cartridge that would work with the ammo.

and its not really the same as I'm thinking, where you'd use the bottom portion of the case that takes the most abuse and would create a adequate seal, and only use that, the rest of the case would consist of the propellant.

I mean, why not, its a fun topic in GD, not like I'm standing in front of a bunch of investors, the reality is in our lifetimes nothing is going to come around and unseat the standard cartridge as we know it.. any other advances will be in cost and material saving measures. that's reality and fucking boring.
View Quote

LSAT combines the advantages of caseless and cased ammo.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My personal thoughts are aerosolized propellents. Lots of technological problems to overcome, like sealing, and being able to unload the weapon. But imagine as you pull the trigger a perfect air fuel mixture is injected into the chamber, different velocities, compensation for altitude and temperature, as well as bullet weight. Supposedly it's the next evolution in tank rounds, no reason not to scale it down.

Think Fuel Air explosive in your gun. Maybe electronics to take care of loading and and everything else, maybe some functions recoil operated. I've thought long and hard about this one but there are really just safety issues to overcome. I think I could make a muzzle/breach loader that worked on the concept.
View Quote

How do explosives generate power? There's your problem.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Electric fired projectiles.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The tech providers didn't seem to know the answers to my questions on cartridge specifics. They did make sure to collect every piece of empty "brass" they possibly could for longevity research. From what I gathered, there's nothing physically preventing reloading the spent cases, it's just a specialized press. So I see no reason you couldn't reload them.

Even if you can't reload them, they did say that the cost per empty case was less than 1/12th of a cent. So as long as you have the press, just buy new cases instead of reloading old ones. You'd still be way cheaper than brass once supply got out there. IIRC they contracted the ammo for our experiment from Fiocchi, so the tooling obviously wasn't too hard to work up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LSAT set to burst

Interesting. I would imagine different bullet weights/types would only be produced by a major manufacturer. If I could get a LSAT AR in either 75gr Amax 223 or 6.5mm 123gr, I would have significant reason to replace my current rifles/loadings. But I would imagine that that could be as simple as an upper/mag swap.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Eh normal ammo works just as well and will kill things all the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for the peasants, of course

Caseless ammo will never happen in a military application. it overheats the firearm too much when fired rapidly and no one is going to want to buy a weapon that requires a cooling system built into it. The brass acts as a heat sink and draws heat away from the firearm with ever shot. caseless ammo however leaves everything inside the weapons system.

I think the next be leap in small arms will be new projectiles and more precise ammo. I also think we will start to more blended technology optics coming out cheaper and cheaper. In another decade I expect to see a since optic out for under $2k that has both color, thermal, and nightvision overlays with the ability to switch from no zoom to some form of magnified optics. it's logical progression really. We did it with cell phones, replacing computers, cameras, phones, phone books, music players, and so on with a single device. I foresee us replacing CCO's, magnified optics, night vision, and thermal in the same manner.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, in addition to some great features of the weapon itself. Caveman simple to operate/strip/clean, with a PEQ-15, ACOG, surefire, suppressor and 200 round nutsack its lighter than an empty 249, almost no fouling even after firing blanks, stays cooler than the 249, select fire, 2.5 times the basic load of a 249 for the same weight in ammo, and the damn thing recoils DOWN and forward.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#30]

That's really cool.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Caseless ammo will never happen in a military application. it overheats the firearm too much when fired rapidly and no one is going to want to buy a weapon that requires a cooling system built into it. The brass acts as a heat sink and draws heat away from the firearm with ever shot. caseless ammo however leaves everything inside the weapons system.

I think the next be leap in small arms will be new projectiles and more precise ammo. I also think we will start to more blended technology optics coming out cheaper and cheaper. In another decade I expect to see a since optic out for under $2k that has both color, thermal, and nightvision overlays with the ability to switch from no zoom to some form of magnified optics. it's logical progression really. We did it with cell phones, replacing computers, cameras, phones, phone books, music players, and so on with a single device. I foresee us replacing CCO's, magnified optics, night vision, and thermal in the same manner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about a tracking point like system with a ballistic liberty for ammo so you do not have to use high grade match ammo?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yep, in addition to some great features of the weapon itself. Caveman simple to operate/strip/clean, with a PEQ-15, ACOG, surefire, suppressor and 200 round nutsack its lighter than an empty 249, almost no fouling even after firing blanks, stays cooler than the 249, select fire, 2.5 times the basic load of a 249 for the same weight in ammo, and the damn thing recoils DOWN and forward.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add in the future of integrated accessories (accessories designed in as a part of the weapon, not picatinny rail or mount weight/batteries in stock powering it all) and you've got a great thing going on.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Fleshlight Stock.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What about a tracking point like system with a ballistic liberty for ammo so you do not have to use high grade match ammo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I^2/thermal/reflex/magnified fusion is coming, ballistically compensating optics aren't, in a .mil setting.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#35]
No real Earth shattering changes. Only viable change I can see is Optics and Projectiles.
There will be no hand held rail guns that work in a practical manner.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Interesting. I would imagine different bullet weights/types would only be produced by a major manufacturer. If I could get a LSAT AR in either 75gr Amax 223 or 6.5mm 123gr, I would have significant reason to replace my current rifles/loadings. But I would imagine that that could be as simple as an upper/mag swap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LSAT set to burst

We only shot 62gr M855 projectiles and blanks when we had them, but the tech guys said they have AP, tracer, and a heavy weight "match" projectile also. Our input was that we'd kill for the same tech in a 7.62/240B flavor, their response was that it's in the works. So the tech is there, now it just needs to get into civilian hands so it can be tinkered and perfected. Handloaders in their basement will develop this stuff wayyyyy faster and cheaper than a Govt lab, they just need to get their hands on it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh. never seen or heard of that stuff before.

and it looks pretty fucking awesome..
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#38]
When suppressors are taken off the NFA/NFA is destroyed what do you think will be the improvements?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

We only shot 62gr M855 projectiles and blanks when we had them, but the tech guys said they have AP, tracer, and a heavy weight "match" projectile also. Our input was that we'd kill for the same tech in a 7.62/240B flavor, their response was that it's in the works. So the tech is there, now it just needs to get into civilian hands so it can be tinkered and perfected. Handloaders in their basement will develop this stuff wayyyyy faster and cheaper than a Govt lab, they just need to get their hands on it.
View Quote

Take the AR platform, convert to 6.5mm LSAT, integrate the SAR-21 style fused handguards, and a fused I^2/thermal/reflex/magnified optic, and you'd have some next level shit. No small arm in the world would compare.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#40]

What are some of the things we will see in Suppressors?

When suppressors are taken off the NFA/NFA is destroyed what do you think will be the improvements?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
huh. never seen or heard of that stuff before.

and it looks pretty fucking awesome..
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

OSS is the future of suppression in .mil enviroments. Factor in 3d Inconel printing, and add to the concept I've been yammering about, and
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Take the AR platform, convert to 6.5mm LSAT, integrate the SAR-21 style fused handguards, and a fused I^2/thermal/reflex/magnified optic, and you'd have some next level shit. No small arm in the world would compare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about using Sabot Ammo?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#44]
possibly something ....ELECTRICAL

bluetooth controlled triggers ?
voice command trigger?

or maybe just  ......sharks with fricking laser beams on their heads

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

For some reason this concept makes me think of every potato gun fail video I've seen. It would be extremely complicated and I wouldnt trust the pressures in the combustion chamber that close to my face.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think something like this would be likely as well for the military. Taking it a step further to connect with other squad members through a network. Idea being the soldier would scan their field of fire with their rifle and the IR optic identifies the locations of the enemy that others can see also and updates everytime the optic can see the enemy. Maybe have it plotted on a map (a sort of rugged ipad) for commanders to direct squad fire or send off for artillery/air strikes. Probably be big and weigh a shit ton at first but probably can be started off as a stand alone piece and evolve to be weapon mounted.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Like the one Hornady has had out for over a year now?

http://www.hornady.com/store/223-Rem-gr-NTX/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some new propellant along with a recoil absorption device that enables the shooter to fire a projectile in excess of 4000 fps
Like the one Hornady has had out for over a year now?

http://www.hornady.com/store/223-Rem-gr-NTX/

Quoted:
Quoted:
Some new propellant along with a recoil absorption device that enables the shooter to fire a projectile in excess of 4000 fps

Winchester called. They said you're about 79 years late.

http://www.norma.cc/link/376fe611aee6465e88b6a97c7ccb1a09.aspx?id=3110&epslanguage=en-US

You both missed the part about the recoil absorption. Something about 20 times more effective than what the KRISS did.

Oh and the projectile has to be 75 grain or heavier.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That's really cool.

View All Quotes

Aren't they banned?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What are some of the things we will see in Suppressors?

View Quote

we'll need new high tech ear muffs to cancel out liberal crying.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Aren't they banned?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Aren't they banned?

I have some really really vague memory of something about a electronic trigger being banned. Or maybe it's just deja vu.

I know you cannot build robots to be platforms for a gun because it becomes a "machine gun". So I wouldn't be surprised if a device that operated the weapon without complete human control would have the ATF going in fits.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top