Quoted:

What about using Sabot Ammo?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We only shot 62gr M855 projectiles and blanks when we had them, but the tech guys said they have AP, tracer, and a heavy weight "match" projectile also. Our input was that we'd kill for the same tech in a 7.62/240B flavor, their response was that it's in the works. So the tech is there, now it just needs to get into civilian hands so it can be tinkered and perfected. Handloaders in their basement will develop this stuff wayyyyy faster and cheaper than a Govt lab, they just need to get their hands on it.

Take the AR platform, convert to 6.5mm LSAT, integrate the SAR-21 style fused handguards, and a fused I^2/thermal/reflex/magnified optic, and you'd have some next level shit. No small arm in the world would compare.

What about using Sabot Ammo?

Doesn't bring anything to the table really, and limits you in several important factors.  What most don't realize is that we WANT a certain amount of instability in our rounds, which is a plus of 556. If you have the patience for it, watch tibosaurusrex's Sniper 101 series on youtube. Google precession. If our rounds are mildly unstable within 200 yards, they are more likely to tumble and frag. Combined with the weight savings, that's why the US abandoned the M14 and why the USSR abandoned the 762x39. This is also why the 300BLK will never will be the devastating stopper borderline unstable 556 rounds are. A 6.5mm LSAT cartridge could both weigh less and outrange a 762x54R PKM, in a assault rifle format. Add in integrated I^2(for lowlight/nolight), thermal(for detection(said PKM has the weakness of thermal bloom)), reflex (for close stuff), and magnified(for the guys trying to rip a belt and run away from 1200m away), and you've got a fearsome package. Plus, it weighs less, so you could both carry more ammo and deal with less fatigue.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

How do explosives generate power? There's your problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My personal thoughts are aerosolized propellents. Lots of technological problems to overcome, like sealing, and being able to unload the weapon. But imagine as you pull the trigger a perfect air fuel mixture is injected into the chamber, different velocities, compensation for altitude and temperature, as well as bullet weight. Supposedly it's the next evolution in tank rounds, no reason not to scale it down.

Think Fuel Air explosive in your gun. Maybe electronics to take care of loading and and everything else, maybe some functions recoil operated. I've thought long and hard about this one but there are really just safety issues to overcome. I think I could make a muzzle/breach loader that worked on the concept.

Ever used an internal combustion engine? Or a potato gun? Yes you need to find the right fuel...but if you can, golden.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

OSS is the future of suppression in .mil enviroments. Factor in 3d Inconel printing, and add to the concept I've been yammering about, and
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When suppressors are taken off the NFA/NFA is destroyed what do you think will be the improvements?

OSS is the future of suppression in .mil enviroments. Factor in 3d Inconel printing, and add to the concept I've been yammering about, and

That is cool...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have some really really vague memory of something about a electronic trigger being banned. Or maybe it's just deja vu.

I know you cannot build robots to be platforms for a gun because it becomes a "machine gun". So I wouldn't be surprised if a device that operated the weapon without complete human control would have the ATF going in fits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aren't they banned?

I have some really really vague memory of something about a electronic trigger being banned. Or maybe it's just deja vu.

I know you cannot build robots to be platforms for a gun because it becomes a "machine gun". So I wouldn't be surprised if a device that operated the weapon without complete human control would have the ATF going in fits.

Well the ATF will have shit to say when I put a legal newly made belt fed on my sentry turret platform after Nolo destroys the machine gun ban....Great times lie ahead and fortune favors the bold...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When suppressors are taken off the NFA/NFA is destroyed what do you think will be the improvements?

I know what 3D printing is, but what is Inconel?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ever used an internal combustion engine? Or a potato gun? Yes you need to find the right fuel...but if you can, golden.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My personal thoughts are aerosolized propellents. Lots of technological problems to overcome, like sealing, and being able to unload the weapon. But imagine as you pull the trigger a perfect air fuel mixture is injected into the chamber, different velocities, compensation for altitude and temperature, as well as bullet weight. Supposedly it's the next evolution in tank rounds, no reason not to scale it down.

Think Fuel Air explosive in your gun. Maybe electronics to take care of loading and and everything else, maybe some functions recoil operated. I've thought long and hard about this one but there are really just safety issues to overcome. I think I could make a muzzle/breach loader that worked on the concept.

Sure, but internal combustion requires limited impulse, and potato guns have the ballistics of, well, potatoes. Mind reminding me of why gaseous explosives are severely limited in power?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Inconel

I've held printed Inconel. It has an interesting future.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

For some reason this concept makes me think of every potato gun fail video I've seen. It would be extremely complicated and I wouldnt trust the pressures in the combustion chamber that close to my face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For some reason this concept makes me think of every potato gun fail video I've seen. It would be extremely complicated and I wouldnt trust the pressures in the combustion chamber that close to my face.

How many PSI is a .223 operating at again? 55,000 PSI
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sure, but internal combustion requires limited impulse, and potato guns have the ballistics of, well, potatoes. Mind reminding me of why gaseous explosives are severely limited in power?
View Quote

Why couldn't you have a limited impulse? Direct inject injector from a car, spark pug into a chamber, get a good seal and fire it. Up the anti and not only inject the explosive but also pure O2. Also Potatoes are how heavy? And engineered by teenagers, designs I'm thinking of aren't constrained by traditional chamber designs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Integrated LRF/Ballistics Compensation(ie Tracking Point when it gets not so huge).
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:25:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Inconel

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Inconel

When can we make that happen? This is amazing..
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:58:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Maybe a nano-tech gun implanted in your skull, that fires explosive projectiles, tied into a HUD in your glasses?

Just spit-balling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An optic that wirelessly connects to Google glasses creating a heads up display without needing to get a conventional sight picture

Maybe a nano-tech gun implanted in your skull, that fires explosive projectiles, tied into a HUD in your glasses?

Just spit-balling.

Been reading this?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:07:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Recoil compensation.

Better optics, ala tracking point.

I think somebody should work on caseless for an open bolt beltfed where heat buildup in the chamber isn't as big of a problem.

Other than that, I don't see anything big until we see major advances in materials science.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:17:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Glock figures out the tech behind a single stack 9mm pistol.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, in a tiny locked chamber (with really thick walls), completely isolated from other propellant charges. How big would your proposed design need the combustion chamber to be? How would you isolate the gas injection ports during combustion? It is all doable, but would be really bulky.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Any chance .224 will ever hit the market?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Inconel

Its already happening. Its just expensive as fuck. Think $500 for an A2 birdcage.  Specialty applications are first, obviously.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:13:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Its already happening. Its just expensive as fuck. Think $500 for an A2 birdcage.  Specialty applications are first, obviously.
View Quote

Oh..That is why..I thought it would cost or hard to get/legal issues...
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:26:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Firearm advances?

We're going to need those after the weirding modules?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:32:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Only if someone figures out energy shields.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm thinking not much is going to change until Lockheed can get one of their new-fangled fusion reactors small & light enough to be carried by one of those powered exoskeleton systems. Once that happens shit is going to get interesting real fast.

The slow blade penetrates the shield.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm thinking not much is going to change until Lockheed can get one of their new-fangled fusion reactors small & light enough to be carried by one of those powered exoskeleton systems. Once that happens shit is going to get interesting real fast.

My ass it will..
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:17:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

(Neal Stephenson book)...Been reading this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An optic that wirelessly connects to Google glasses creating a heads up display without needing to get a conventional sight picture

Just spit-balling.

(Neal Stephenson book)...Been reading this?

Old ideas.  Jefferson Swycaffe, Bruce Sterling, William Gibson, Tad Williams...yadda yadda yadda...is all cyberpunk.
Used to be a gaming subculture that was into such things...shadowpunk?  Shadowrun?  Something like that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:23:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My ass it will..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My ass it will..

Hey...I don't make this stuff up.

Link (sorry...for some reason I can't do YouTube anymore)
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:26:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

O.K something more epic and badass..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ruger .300 BLk scout that doesn't use mini-14 mags or AR mags

O.K something more epic and badass..

I'm really hoping for bullpups that dont have some kind of glaring flaw.

*crosses fingers*

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:29:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes but it will actually work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess the closest logical next step will be caseless ammunition.

Like the H&K G11?

Yes but it will actually work.

the problems the G11 ran into were specifically with the fact that it used caseless ammo.

the propellant would overheat and cook off, or crumble and not feed. iirc, it was very susceptible to the environmental conditions commonly found...well...everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:34:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cartridges that are necked up

Fuck this putting smaller bullets in stuff
View Quote

I neck up .284Win for 7.5 swiss.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#28]