Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/22/2014 12:12:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool, but one more thing that can go wrong.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like they took electric paintball marker electronics and fitted them into an ar lower, the ATF will Looove this.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
That would be cool for your long range/precision rifle.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#4]

I doubt ATF would allow it to get to market. Too easy to replace an EEPROM.  They'll call it a machine gun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like they took electric paintball marker electronics and fitted them into an ar lower, the ATF will Looove this.
View Quote

I thought any electrical device that operated a firearm was a no-no.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I doubt ATF would allow it to get to market. Too easy to replace an EEPROM.  They'll call it a machine gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Still have to have the mechanical parts to make it function as such, right?

Also, where's the field test?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I love the non matching, non recessed wood screws used in the grip.  Philips on the right, straight on the left.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Haven't high end target pistols been using this tech for awhile now?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If it's in a semi-auto.

IIRC, there are some bolt actions and single shot guns that have electronic triggers.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I doubt ATF would allow it to get to market. Too easy to replace reprogram an EEPROM.  They'll call it a machine gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I doubt ATF would allow it to get to market. Too easy to replace reprogram an EEPROM.  They'll call it a machine gun.

I fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell for $200 I'd buy one for a bench gun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's already been decided as not legal.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cant imagine that they would rule against it as long as it doesnt break this part of NFA...

....any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. This term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. § 5845(b)

ETA Nevermind? anyone can throw me a copy of the ruling...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Needs more ramping mode
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#15]
"Semi-auto chip for civilians" could be reprogrammed.  Does the NFA cover digital firearms?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Will it come with an NPPL and PSP mode?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Will it come with an NPPL and PSP mode?
View Quote

naw, millenium.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't see why it would be illegal, as long as it remained semi/single shot only. I don't see any distinction between pulling a trigger v. commanding a computer to pull the trigger for you... Seems like it would be awesome for bench shooting.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This has been around the circuit in the paintball community.

It's the board out of an old Spyder SE (one of the cheapest guns on the market - they didn't even use anything decent.  There's maybe $50 worth of parts there).

It's illegal, and there is no way to make it "semi-only" for "civillian use."

ATF has ruled that any electronic fire control system on a self-loading firearm is a machinegun, because all it takes is a board swap or a reflash to make it full auto.

The only legal electronic triggers on firearms are on single-shot competition guns (e.g. Morini 84E).
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't see why it would be illegal, as long as it remained semi/single shot only. I don't see any distinction between pulling a trigger v. commanding a computer to pull the trigger for you... Seems like it would be awesome for bench shooting.
View Quote

It would be "hacked" in days. People would find a way to put paintball trigger boards on it, giving it the full function the guy in the video shows.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It would be "hacked" in days. People would find a way to put paintball trigger boards on it, giving it the full function the guy in the video shows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt, and that would obviously be manufacturing a MG.. But I still don't think an electronic semi-only fire control would be a violation in itself. That would be approaching the same (flawed) logic that AR's are MG's because you could add a DIAS/FA FCG. I'm sure the ATF probably has a different opinion than me though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Based on the rate of fire adjustment and ability to do many different bursts, it looks like it does full-auto electronically without a full-auto sear. A simple chip hack could turn the semi version into full-auto??
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#23]
There are already etriggers in development for semi-autos, and have been around for some time.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Electronic-Arms/175524479145685

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/06/06/etrigger-ruger-1022/

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  This has been around the circuit in the paintball community.

It's the board out of an old Spyder SE (one of the cheapest guns on the market - they didn't even use anything decent.  There's maybe $50 worth of parts there).

ATF has ruled that any electronic fire control system on a self-loading firearm is a machinegun, because all it takes is a board swap or a reflash to make it full auto.

The only legal electronic triggers on firearms are on single-shot competition guns (e.g. Morini 84E).
View All Quotes
Quoted:  This has been around the circuit in the paintball community.

So you can cite an actual link as to why this gun is illegal:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_43/433665_Back_in_black__billet_cnc__22lr_bullpup.html

Quoted:
Yeah, electronic trigger. You can have one to six stages, adjustable travel, and you can adjust while the rifle is assembled, at home or at the range. This one is set at 1/3rd oz and 0.1mm travel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Based on the rate of fire adjustment and ability to do many different bursts, it looks like it does full-auto electronically without a full-auto sear. A simple chip hack could turn the semi version into full-auto??
View Quote

Yep.

Back in my paintball days, some players out there had specially programmed/aftermarket boards that could increase dwell (giving higher velocity) or ramp to a higher fire rate, or both when in a special "cheater" mode....then be turned off with a sequence of button/trigger presses to get it by the refs.  I got called in a tournament in 2007 for unwittingly leaving my marker on the ramping mode and shot something like 21 bps over a pact timer (limit was 13.3 iirc).  This would be pretty cool on a real firearm.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#26]
and no civi's going to take it apart and solder a chip into that to make it full auto?
not trying to alert the atf but just pointing out the ridiculousness of the the NFA laws
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Small timing chips (555) are cheap and easily adjustable with a few small components to pulse from 1/sec to hundreds/sec.
Hence making it way to easy to modify. Excellent concept however.
I don't see this making it to the civilian market but I'd sure like to try one on for size.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I understand the advantages to be had in military applications being able to set the ROF, but for civilians with semi-auto only I don't really get it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I love the non matching, non recessed wood screws used in the grip.  Philips on the right, straight on the left.
View Quote

That's what I was gonna say.

Dude goes to a trade show with that POS???

You've put that work into the device and you can't spend half an hour and 8 bucks to get some decent screws installed?  Holy shit.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You've put that work into the device and you can't spend half an hour and 8 bucks to get some decent screws installed?  Holy shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magpul showed up at SHOT with a 3D printed gun that broke on the way there and they glued it together...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Unless the PROM is covered in a conformal coating that's 1/4 inch or more thick and can't be removed without destroying the circuit board and it is not a reprogrammable type of chip to begin with.  Then there should be no chance that the gun could be converted without completely replacing the electronics.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I fixed it for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fixed it for you.

Smart idiot would have 2. Put the original in the gun when in the safe or at a public range. Swap when on private of SHTF.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I understand the advantages to be had in military applications being able to set the ROF, but for civilians with semi-auto only I don't really get it.
View Quote

Very, very clean benchrest trigger.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#34]
if these aren't legal, why are smart guns legal?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  if these aren't legal, why are smart guns legal?
View Quote

No one in this thread has yet provided a citeable source that says they're not legal.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No one in this thread has yet provided a citeable source that says they're not legal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

yup, i was hoping to get to the root of that

ETA a FCG like this could be manufactured without any digital electronics.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only way to get to the bottom of it is to write a letter.  Apparently there's no rulings on it, or someone would've cited it already.  I imagine our good billet bullpup designer has already written a letter, and gotten a positive response, or they wouldn't have sunk so much time & money into that fancy 10/22 design.  Then again, you have EPArmory as the poster child of when you don't get a letter first.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Unless the PROM is covered in a conformal coating that's 1/4 inch or more thick and can't be removed without destroying the circuit board and it is not a reprogrammable type of chip to begin with.  Then there should be no chance that the gun could be converted without completely replacing the electronics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt it would take long for someone to figure out how to make a replacement EEPROM.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I haz prom burner, will travel.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#40]
You don't actually need an electronic trigger to have an electrical trigger.  No transistors are needed.

The real money will be in electrical unlocking, and then we get rid of this gas tube DI/piston debate.  Imagine a bolt that unlocks milliseconds after the primer is hit, and if there's an overpressure event, doesn't unlock @ all.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Meh... old tech

I had a trigger almost like it....on my paintball gun in 2004.

Basically its an electronic paintball gun trigger on an actual gun
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:51:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cool, but one more thing that can go wrong.
View Quote

this

when it comes down to a service rifle, mechanical is the way to go. it hardly ever fails in comparison to electronics.
electronics are faster, lighter and better. sure. but they will never be as reliable as hardware
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:05:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Maybe it could store single trigger pulls and delay them until to are ready for a mag dump?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:29:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

false.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:30:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And false.  Cite this imaginary ruling please.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:29:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You don't actually need an electronic trigger to have an electrical trigger.  No transistors are needed.

The real money will be in electrical unlocking, and then we get rid of this gas tube DI/piston debate.  Imagine a bolt that unlocks milliseconds after the primer is hit, and if there's an overpressure event, doesn't unlock @ all.
View Quote

Huh? Carbine length AR already unlocks too soon; why would you want to unlock sooner? The brass needs time to contract.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:50:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Neat, but a few things came immediately to mind:

- No "break point" huh?
- Accuracy is exponentially increased?
- 1000 rounds per minute in full auto mode? Wow, I had no idea that the fire control group dictated the cyclic rate in an M16.
- It has a mechanical backup due to worries about ECM and/or EMP?
- It's the "worlds greatest trigger" based on a single prototype?

The concept is cool and I wish him well, but I won't be swapping out my Geissele SSAs for a battery operated Rube Goldberg FCG anytime soon

</Luddite>

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Neat, but a few things came immediately to mind:

- No "break point" huh?
- Accuracy is exponentially increased?
- 1000 rounds per minute in full auto mode? Wow, I had no idea that the fire control group dictated the cyclic rate in an M16.
- It has a mechanical backup due to worries about ECM and/or EMP?
- It's the "worlds greatest trigger" based on a single prototype?

The concept is cool and I wish him well, but I won't be swapping out my Geissele SSAs for a battery operated Rube Goldberg FCG anytime soon

</Luddite>

View Quote

Just to clarify on the rate of fire, it's simply a dwell setting that would delay the release of the hammer for the next shot. It doesn't change the mechanical cyclic rate like changing out buffers/springs/etc.

My Airgun Designs X-Mag has a similar mechanical backup mechanism. The mechanical backup is more for if the batteries die rather than ECM or EMP.

The real problem with this type of trigger is it will be very difficult for it not to exhibit trigger bounce, effectively producing full-auto.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Just to clarify on the rate of fire, it's simply a dwell setting that would delay the release of the hammer for the next shot. It doesn't change the mechanical cyclic rate like changing out buffers/springs/etc.

My Airgun Designs X-Mag has a similar mechanical backup mechanism. The mechanical backup is more for if the batteries die rather than ECM or EMP.

The real problem with this type of trigger is it will be very difficult for it not to exhibit trigger bounce, effectively producing full-auto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

SNIP

You act like that is a problem

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

bumpfire trigger.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top