BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobel Peace Prize Winners Push Obama for Release of Torture Report

Twelve winners of the Nobel Peace Prize asked President Barack Obama late Sunday to make sure that a Senate report on the Central Intelligence Agency’s use of harsh interrogation tactics is released so the U.S. can put an end to a practice condemned by many as torture.

The release of the report, which is the most detailed account of the CIA’s interrogation practices in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, would be an opportunity for the U.S. and the world to come to terms with interrogation techniques that went too far, the laureates said in an open letter and petition. The release of the report by the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence has stalled as the Obama Administration the CIA, and lawmakers clashed over how much of it should be redacted.

American leaders have “eroded the very freedoms and rights that generations of their young gave their lives to defend” by engaging in and justifying torture, the peace prize winners said. The letter was published on TheCommunity.com, a project spearheaded by Peace Prize winner and international peacemaker José Ramos-Horta.

http://time.com/3541008/nobel-peace-prize-torture-barack-obama/

... in other words....

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"lesser of two evils"

View Quote

You are very naïve.

Nearly everyone in that region can be placed into two categories, evil or retarded. Assad is an evil sonofabitch but he was a puppet. He, like Saddam controlled those radical fucks by torturing and killing dissenters. You know what you get when you stop torturing and killing them? They gather into groups like ISIL and AQ and they torture and kill you.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Can we just tell the Kurds they can have Syria if they kill every one in it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

As much as folks on here think the Kurds could do it, they can't

ISIL is overwhelmingly powerful when you look at things from a regional standpoint. Armed literally with tons and tons of former American heavy equipment they would likely have already rolled through the Kurds had the US not intervened.

I really have no idea how we plan to restore any sort of order back to that area of Iraq/Syria.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Anytime you see comparisons to the holocaust, alarm bells should go off in your head. Somebody's probably trying to lie the US into another war.

This defector is probably as reliable as Ahmed Chalabi.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]
So given this guy or ISIS  would pick secret option 3 - nukem from orbit.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You are very naïve.

Nearly everyone in that region can be placed into two categories, evil or retarded. Assad is an evil sonofabitch but he was a puppet. He, like Saddam controlled those radical fucks by torturing and killing dissenters. You know what you get when you stop torturing and killing them? They gather into groups like ISIL and AQ and they torture and kill you.

Jim
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"lesser of two evils"

You are very naïve.

Jim

That's pretty much the theory I've finally arrived at.  Why should the US pay thousands of millions of dollars and shed rivers of American blood, to have a bad outcome in Syria(crazy US hating rebels taking over), when we can already have a bad outcome(keeping Assad)  for FREE by doing nothing?

Have faith in President Ebola.  He will come through.  But for who?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
If these were the pics that came out 6 months or so ago they were disputed at the time. The three guys who complied them were paid by somebody with a vested interest and not much work was done unto investigating each pic.

I.e someone said look this guy just got killed by asads men . Well an fsa guy on the floor looks just like a syrian alowhite on the floor.

Remember muslims are the kings of propaganda and western media laps it up.

Vids were leaking right from the start about fsa be heading and torturing before anybody ever heard of isis.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

that's a fucked up thing to say.

islam sucks b/c it is generally used to justify brutality for some end, really just to keep an evil ruling class in power as it is fundementally a political system.

assad's regime is largely secular and doesn't bother w/ that religious pretense more like the nazis or communist. What is wrong is the terrorizing adn killing of innocent people whether it is doen is the name of allah or the revolution or whatever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<Removed -  Code of Conduct T7>

I'm not seeing the problem.

islam sucks b/c it is generally used to justify brutality for some end, really just to keep an evil ruling class in power as it is fundementally a political system.

assad's regime is largely secular and doesn't bother w/ that religious pretense more like the nazis or communist. What is wrong is the terrorizing adn killing of innocent people whether it is doen is the name of allah or the revolution or whatever.

Apart from that whole "recruiting, funding, training and arming international jihadists and then sending them over the border to fight the infidels in Iraq, being an open puppet of the Islamic Republic of Iran and using Hezbollah jihadists as stormtroopers" thing he has going.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
So GD Lawyer types speak up...

The war crimes would be the inhumane treatment part of the dead correct?  Not the actual killing of said individuals.  I thought you could shoot rebels on sight because rebels did not fall under the Geneva convention?  Or has things changed?

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<Removed -  Code of Conduct T7>

Clearly you don't have a very good understanding of the Middle East.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Isn't he and the likes of Saddam Hussein what is needed in the Middle East to keep the savages in line? They are murderous scum but a ruthless dictator seems to keep the nuts in check

Eta: Assad's wife is smoking hot and I'd like to oppress and torture that booty
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Terrible, but from what we know relatively tame compared to what the Japanese did in WWII...

Boy, was I sure glad when those guys were prosecuted.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anytime you see comparisons to the holocaust, alarm bells should go off in your head. Somebody's probably trying to lie the US into another war.

View Quote

I hope so.

Syria looks like it could be a fun war.  Iraq's latest reinterpretation of its war looks pretty good too.

Maybe we can do both?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Use this as your Guilding Light as to why your safety is your own responsibility. It's the Bold and Beautiful truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As the World Turns

Use this as your Guilding Light as to why your safety is your own responsibility. It's the Bold and Beautiful truth.

Correct.  Always be armed in case you encounter the Young and the Restless at the Edge of Night.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Is this where I post GOOD JOB ASSAD?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

ISIL is overwhelmingly powerful when you look at things from a regional standpoint. Armed literally with tons and tons of former American heavy equipment they would likely have already rolled through the Kurds had the US not intervened.

I really have no idea how we plan to restore any sort of order back to that area of Iraq/Syria.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ISIS is a joke; they'd fold like wet tissue paper against a professional army.  All your typical Arab conscript wants is satellite TV, acid washed jeans, and a hot meal.  They really don't have any incentive to fight ISIS so they run away or surrender.

Also, Turkey could dick-stomp ISIS, but they hate the Kurds and won't get involved unless hostilities spill over their border.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What about Jews? Gypsies? Armenians? Christians?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<Removed - T7>

We should send the full might of the United States Armed Forces to liberate that country and make them a free country, ruled by the vote and the law, where that sort of thing doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:40:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't think it's much of a stretch to believe that Mr. Assad is a violent fuckwit sitting atop a regime that's not the least bit bashful about using rape, torture, and murder for their own ends. Or for fun.

The main problem here is that he's genocidal shithead in a region that's bursting at the seams with genocidal shitheads.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:16:37 AM EDT
[#21]
When you try to overthrow a dictator and make them the next Saddam or Gaddafi, they take the gloves off.

Who would have guessed this would be the result.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:07:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So Assad uses violence and torture as a means to rule savages who understand nothing else.

For those upset at the images of violence the Assad regime uses to control its people I ask you how else can it be done?

Muslims reject Western styles of governence yet the rebels plead with use to help and when we do they turn on us.
For thousands of years Muslims have ruled in this fashion because they understand what we as westerners do not. That this is they only way to rule a people like this.

You can't give freedom to a people who don't truly want it and respect it. Just look at Iraq, we gave them freedom and all the tools they needed to defend it and they through it away.

They only way to give them freedom is if you willing to maintain a security force to defend it for them and they will hate you for it.

Then when you give them what they want and you leave groups like ISIS come in and they beg for you to come back but at the expense of our solders lives and the money of the American tax payer.

Westerners get angry at the violence and savagery they see because we wrap our heads around the fact that there is no other way to rule savages.

View Quote

You sir, are a wise man and totally understand that area of the world.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:12:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Assad tortures the kind of people that comprise ISIS?

Good.
View Quote

That's what immediately came to my mind as well. For all we know, these people could have been ISIS style jihadists.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:18:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<Removed - T7>

Assad has a much better record of protecting them than his enemies do. If his enemies rule Syria, there will be no Jews, Gypsies, Armenians or Christians in Syria.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:09:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Join our banking system or we will smear you every which way.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:26:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well then, we better think of the children an invade Syria RFN

Conveniently timed for maximum emotional response.
View Quote

This. Libya was better off with Ghaddafi. Iraq was better off with Hussein, and if we know what's good for us, we will bomb the FSA, and not Assad. These dictators are murderous scumbags, no doubt. But the death count seems to go up every time we kill one of these fuckers off.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Do you prefer ISIS?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#28]
It sucks, but how else do you rule in the middle east if not with an iron fist?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Not sure why everybody seems to think Saddam had everything under control. He was a shithead and needed to go. We couldn't let him keep fucking with us without repercussion.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The person with the burns through to the bones is pretty gruesome.
View Quote

Isn't Bashir Assad our partner for peace?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I hope so.

Syria looks like it could be a fun war.  Iraq's latest reinterpretation of its war looks pretty good too.

Maybe we can do both?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope so.

Maybe we can do both?

Hell yeah.
Syria has some beautiful areas.

And Lebanon has some smokin' hot phalangists just waiting for some hot crusador to save them from the jihadist hordes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As the World Turns

What you did... I see it.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#34]
If that is what it takes for the leaders in those countries to retain stability and keep the radicals at bay, I will turn a blind eye every time. Don't think for a second that the people over there want to live like how we live. We are two totally different societies, with incompatible views and ways of life that don't mesh well together.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know which end of the foreign policy spectrum I enjoy more...the Regime Change Through Air Power side or the We Stand with Iran Because Islamic Terror is Wrong™.

Or, the Administration's take of get both, in a completely unpredictable fashion.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Most of us will never understand the true nature of violence and the ruthlessness needed to practice it on another human.  Pictures of this, the Holocaust, and other similar atrocities, show that there are plenty of men out there who do.
When you come across such men, they can't be negotiated with, only eliminated.
View Quote

Unless they're willing to play ball with us. In that case, I really don't care what they do in their own backyard.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don't know which end of the foreign policy spectrum I enjoy more...the Regime Change Through Air Power side or the We Stand with Iran Because Islamic Terror is Wrong™.

Or, the Administration's take of get both, in a completely unpredictable fashion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't define islamic terrorism, but I know it when I see it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Hell yeah.

And Lebanon has some smokin' hot phalangists just waiting for some hot crusador to save them from the jihadist hordes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope so.

Maybe we can do both?

Hell yeah.

I have a vision of a contract quest for blood oil in Damascus.

Day off, riding a haji bike I bought for $10, board shorts, Glock 19, on the beach catching the breeze off of the Mediterranean Sea.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#39]
How many of these groups have we trained and armed and funded only to have to take them out like yesterday's trash?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Still better than ISIS
View Quote

I disagree. But I am wrong.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Day off, riding a haji bike I bought for $10, board shorts, Glock 19, on the beach catching the breeze off of the Mediterranean Sea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope so.

Maybe we can do both?

Hell yeah.

I loved riding captured haji Yondas around the FOB, pissing off FOBBITs.

Its the little things...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top