BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I built a better shelter over the wood, and it's completely open on the sides to let air through.  Whenever a breeze flows through the wood, cold air comes out the downwind side.  It must be all the water evaporating and causing cooling.  It's quite a difference from the ambient temperature.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is an impressive machine!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
youtube has a video

I love gadgets!  it has some neat attachments, too.

That is an impressive machine!

Makes you want to run out and order one doesn't it?

Damn living in this video age.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn thats alot of wood.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Cool. I didn't even know there were trees in Indiana.
View Quote
Indiana is known for some of the finest hardwood timber grown,I owned a logging co. and sawmill there for over 20 years.

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope you have a jointer and planer and lots of blades.  Very nice.
View Quote

Once it's all dry I'm going to buy a planer.  They have them at Home Depot for $400.  Not gonna do it all at once, though, just as I need them probably.
View Quote

At that price you're talking about a benchtop planer.   I'm on my third, and I seriously doubt that I've planed a thousand board feet total.  And that was only taking a 1/16" of of already sawmill planed lumber in order to bring it down to an exact 3/4".  My advice would be to get a Rigid and make sure you save the UPC and file the warranty paper work within the time limit.  You're going to need it.
View Quote

So . . . the benchtop planers aren't designed for so much wood, but if I get the full warranty I can get as many replacements as I need for the wood I have?
View Quote

You're going to need a jointer and planer.  The jointer cuts the side it rides on flush. The planer cuts the opposite side it rides on flush.  That is a lot of wood to do in a table top unit. I'm guessing you're looking at the 12.5" models, right? Make certain it comes with feed tables or build your own. You'd better start with the crappiest piece you have until you work out how to prevent snipe.  I have a large grizzly jointer that doesn't snipe at all and the large 4 post dewalt planer that acts like it's job is to snipe.  I usually end up finishing on my drum sander to get rid of the planer snipe and end with a finish ready for furniture.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#7]
That Persimmon wood is some hard stuff. It makes pretty furniture or cabinets.

eta check with the local high schools and trade schools to get your wood planed. They might do it for a donation.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You're going to need a jointer and planer.  The jointer cuts the side it rides on flush. The planer cuts the opposite side it rides on flush.  That is a lot of wood to do in a table top unit. I'm guessing you're looking at the 12.5" models, right? Make certain it comes with feed tables or build your own. You'd better start with the crappiest piece you have until you work out how to prevent snipe.  I have a large grizzly jointer that doesn't snipe at all and the large 4 post dewalt planer that acts like it's job is to snipe.  I usually end up finishing on my drum sander to get rid of the planer snipe and end with a finish ready for furniture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope you have a jointer and planer and lots of blades.  Very nice.

Once it's all dry I'm going to buy a planer.  They have them at Home Depot for $400.  Not gonna do it all at once, though, just as I need them probably.

At that price you're talking about a benchtop planer.   I'm on my third, and I seriously doubt that I've planed a thousand board feet total.  And that was only taking a 1/16" of of already sawmill planed lumber in order to bring it down to an exact 3/4".  My advice would be to get a Rigid and make sure you save the UPC and file the warranty paper work within the time limit.  You're going to need it.

So . . . the benchtop planers aren't designed for so much wood, but if I get the full warranty I can get as many replacements as I need for the wood I have?

It seems like from what I've seen, wood gains a lot of value if it's planed, but may I can sell most of it unplaned and just plane the stuff I want to use.  I definitely like your idea of starting with the crappiest piece to get the hang of it.  I've learned through a lot of experience that that's always the best way to go when trying something new.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice OP, it will smell good around your house for the next few days.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Harry homeowners who want one or two boards buy surfaced wood. They're generally tire kickers and take up 30 minutes with questions and concerns. Then they want help tying it to the top of their minivan or camry.  They may also be back because you sold them a board that warped on their garage floor over the last 8 weeks and now they want a new board.

Guys who buy rough cut 4/4 or 6/4 generally show up with cash in hand and a truck big enough for the job. You point to the stack and give them the price and they're back on the road since to them time is money.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
youtube has a video

I love gadgets!  it has some neat attachments, too.
View Quote

That thing is amazing.

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#12]
OP,  you willing to part with any?  Need roofing for sons treehouse in Bloomington
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP,  you willing to part with any?  Need roofing for sons treehouse in Bloomington
View Quote

Sure, I'm not going to need it all.  It's not seasoned yet though.

Not free though
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#14]
After studying the current kitchen cabinets and doing some online research, I decided to see if I could build a cabinet, which I will need for the house I'm working on.  I figured if I could build it myself I'd save thousands of dollars.  I've never built furniture before, but it's working out pretty well.  There was quite a learning curve, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.  I've been working on it for about 5 days so far, and it's almost finished.

Except for the bottom, sides and the drawer bottoms, it's all white oak from the trees I had sawn, planed with my Dewalt planer.  I also used  a miter saw, table saw, table router and drill.  For the cabinet door I used the router to make a tongue-in-groove since I don't have any boards wide enough to use a single piece.  The fitting isn't perfect, but it's so tight that I don't need any glue or nails.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks good.

Nice wood.

Patience. You have it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#16]
That wood was standing six weeks ago?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That wood was standing six weeks ago?
View Quote

Well, it's been air-drying for about 50 days in the hot summer weather.  It's not totally dry, but it seems to be dry enough.  I made a test face frame of 3/4th inch planed wood two weeks ago, and it has been drying in the dry air of the house since then, and everything still looks tight and straight.  We'll see I guess.  If the wood warps or something, at least building it gave me a lot of experience.  So far it looks fine, and some of the wood has been planed and screwed together for about two weeks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I sure hope that isn't the wood you just cut.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#20]
You need to determine the moisture content before you start cutting into it. 50 days is not enough time at all
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#21]
We air dry for 90 days then put it in the kiln for a few weeks to a month
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#22]
You need a Lehigh dovetail jig for those drawer frames OP. Makes for a much stronger drawer that will stay together. Don't kid yourself about the T&G fitment, it needs glue in that application. If you were making T&G planks for a wall or ceiling cover you could get away with no glue but for a cabinet door you definitely need it. Glue it up, clamp until it cures then sand to finish. You'll thank me later.

Other than my words of criticism, I applaud you. Nice job, the rest will be easier and you will have something to be proud of.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks great, just hope the wood was dry enough!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I hope your sticks are dry and you aren't really covering it with a tarp are you?
View Quote

I have the stack covered with two sheets of plywood raised in the middle for a sloped roof, and that is covered in a tarp.  It lets air up underneath the roof and keeps all the water out.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Spend the extra for full extension drawer slides.  Those cheapo ones will bring down the overall look of quality.
Really nice work by the way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Pretty cool.  In for updates.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

No kidding!

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah, that'd get my attention.   My personal phobia is having a router bit shed a chunk of carbide at my stomach.  Actually, I'm pretty much terrified every time I turn on the TS, RAS, or a router.  But what really scares me is that I might not be terrified enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm on my fifth year with a 13" Rigid planer and it still works like new.  I've used it to mill wainscoting for 3 rooms and lots of other projects with no issues whatsoever.  My previous planer was a 12" DELTA that tossed a blade and self-destructed after I had owned it for only a couple of years.  Luckily the safety mechanisms contained the broken blade and the only casualties were the planer and my underwear...but the planer was a total loss.

That's good to know, thank you.  Also nice to know that I'm not the only person who can't correctly spell the name of his own tools.    
Hee hee, I was going to say "what's a little d between friends", but then I realized who I was talking to.    BTW, having a planer blow up within a few inches of your face is a memorable experience to say the least...

Yeah, that'd get my attention.   My personal phobia is having a router bit shed a chunk of carbide at my stomach.  Actually, I'm pretty much terrified every time I turn on the TS, RAS, or a router.  But what really scares me is that I might not be terrified enough.

The shaper scares the crap out of me. RAS can be iffy too, especially ripping with it. I would not do that again.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The shaper scares the crap out of me. RAS can be iffy too, especially ripping with it. I would not do that again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm on my fifth year with a 13" Rigid planer and it still works like new.  I've used it to mill wainscoting for 3 rooms and lots of other projects with no issues whatsoever.  My previous planer was a 12" DELTA that tossed a blade and self-destructed after I had owned it for only a couple of years.  Luckily the safety mechanisms contained the broken blade and the only casualties were the planer and my underwear...but the planer was a total loss.

That's good to know, thank you.  Also nice to know that I'm not the only person who can't correctly spell the name of his own tools.    
Hee hee, I was going to say "what's a little d between friends", but then I realized who I was talking to.    BTW, having a planer blow up within a few inches of your face is a memorable experience to say the least...

I don't have a shaper; I do my "shaping" with a PC 7518 in a table, but those big panel raising bits... <shudder>

I've never used a RAS for ripping, but, yeah, those suckers will self-feed something fierce.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
No kidding!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding!

In before the next thread " All my F%$#ing Drawers don't close."
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#32]
too soon, go to lowes and see if they have a moisture meter.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_78059-56005-MMD4E_0__?productId=3136919

7–8 percent can be used in furniture and other applications within a heated building.

Cabinets do look good.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Tagged so I can see how long it'd take before the cabinet doesn't look good anymore.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:35:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Tagged so I can see how long it'd take before the cabinet doesn't look good anymore.
View Quote

September ought to do it.

"Dry enough"

Sorry in advance for your loss, OP.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:00:47 AM EDT
[#35]
OP, you need to invest in a $30 moisture meter from Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:12:58 AM EDT
[#36]
You will want to get some paint on the ends of the boards as soon as possible. (may already be too late) The ends will dry very quickly and the ends of the boards will split if you don't slow down the drying with paint.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:29:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That's not a log...THIS is a log...

<a href="http://s46.photobucket.com/user/WeeTodd/media/DSC_2848_zpsf7f645cb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/WeeTodd/DSC_2848_zpsf7f645cb.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s46.photobucket.com/user/WeeTodd/media/DSC_2850_zps9fa67523.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/WeeTodd/DSC_2850_zps9fa67523.jpg</a>
View Quote

Lucas Mill FTW!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#38]
OP, you might want to look at a Kreg pocket hole jig to do your face frame joinery.  This would do you nicely.  There are cheaper versions, but by the time you get the other stuff you need, the cost is about the same.

ETA: Not criticizing what you've done, but it would have been way easier, quicker, and stronger if it were pocket screwed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OP, you might want to look at a Kreg pocket hole jig to do your face frame joinery.  This would do you nicely.  There are cheaper versions, but by the time you get the other stuff you need, the cost is about the same.
View Quote

Best advice in this thread.

pj
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

"Dry enough"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Dry enough"

It's only a partial loss as long as he learns from it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#41]
When you're finished with it, and moving it to install, don't knock it off of your assembly bench.

pj
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
When you're finished with it, and moving it to install, don't knock it off of your assembly bench.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/pj1016/vanitycrash2.jpg

pj
View Quote

Yours?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#43]
yep
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
yep
View Quote

I dropped a 60" wide, 78" (IIRC) entertainment center out of the back of a pickup truck at 60 miles an hour.  Mercifully, there was no one behind me.  A nice man stopped and helped me get it back in the truck.  On the way to the county dump, I called the client and told her that it was going to be another week.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Please buy this book...  

Understanding Wood
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I dropped a 60" wide, 78" (IIRC) entertainment center out of the back of a pickup truck at 60 miles an hour.  Mercifully, there was no one behind me.  A nice man stopped and helped me get it back in the truck.  On the way to the county dump, I called the client and told her that it was going to be another week.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yep

Don'tcha just love making things twice?

pj
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You know what's worse?  The guy at the lumber yard that doesn't know the meaning of "quarter sawn".  But there's worse than that, the miller that doesn't give a crap.

But if you're selling dimensional lumber, I reckon the worst from that perspective is the customer that wants every board to be quarter sawn, no matter the project he's building.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Harry homeowners who want one or two boards buy surfaced wood. They're generally tire kickers and take up 30 minutes with questions and concerns. Then they want help tying it to the top of their minivan or camry.  They may also be back because you sold them a board that warped on their garage floor over the last 8 weeks and now they want a new board.

Guys who buy rough cut 4/4 or 6/4 generally show up with cash in hand and a truck big enough for the job. You point to the stack and give them the price and they're back on the road since to them time is money.

You know what's worse?  The guy at the lumber yard that doesn't know the meaning of "quarter sawn".  But there's worse than that, the miller that doesn't give a crap.

But if you're selling dimensional lumber, I reckon the worst from that perspective is the customer that wants every board to be quarter sawn, no matter the project he's building.

I always try to pick wood appropriate to the use.  I've whined until the guys broke another bundle if I needed straight wood for raised panel door rails and stiles, but I've taken stuff with a two inch bow in eight feet for cabinet stiles.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

pj
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
yep

pj

In some ways, I don't mind, because I've never done a job that I didn't think I could have done better with a retry.  Checking account thinks it sucks though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top