User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pretty cool deal, but-

WHY???? They don't haz pine 1"x2" furring strips in your neck of the woods?

What did hiring the guy with the saw cost you?

And +1, whatcha gonna do with all that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 I made the stickers out of 2x4s - cutting  them in thirds, and then cutting those sections across the wide side.  Each sticker is about 0.75" by 1.15"

Pretty cool deal, but-

WHY???? They don't haz pine 1"x2" furring strips in your neck of the woods?

What did hiring the guy with the saw cost you?

And +1, whatcha gonna do with all that?

Home depot had some 1x2 wood strips, but they were $1.00 each.  I made those stickers rather quickly and it only cost me $0.45 each, saving me over $100.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#2]
How many bandsaw blades did you purchase when you hit unexpected nails?

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I like posts like this.  Thanks for sharing and if you were to sell that stuff, what price would it fetch?

Chris
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Heh, that actually happened.  I was sure there were no nails or other foreign objects in the logs, but one of the hickory logs had a nail in it, and he charged me $15 for the sharpening that would be required.  Fortunately the blade wasn't ruined - that would've been $25.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Be careful.  You have the created the perfect scenario for a Powder Post Beetle Infestation.  See link for more information.

Powder Post Beetle
View Quote

So, what can I do?  Would some sort of bug spray work?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome!

My buddy owns an arborist company and part of a sawmill. I'm getting some custom ambrosia maple from him cut into 2" thick slabs and then getting a local woodworker to fashion it into a 4ft X 9 ft executive table that's going in my office. I can't wait!

ZA
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

guy I knew in my younger days, owned a well drilling business and he kept all the trees he had to cut in order to get to some of his drill sites.  he eventually built a barn on his property with the wood.  it was 5 bays each would fit 4 cars and it had an upstairs.  built the whole thing out of oak.  all of it.  from the beams to the finish siding on the outside.  then he did the siding on his house completely in walnut.  it was really nice.

View Quote
Wow. I'd love to see both. Did he stain the siding?

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Be careful.  You have the created the perfect scenario for a Powder Post Beetle Infestation.  See link for more information.

Powder Post Beetle

Nothing you can really do at this point but watch for bored holes. From memory, several types of these beetles only lay eggs on living or dying trees. If they were not infested before the trees were cut, it's unlikely that they will be afterwards. The other types could lay eggs and result in an infestation. Shine a flashlight between the layers of boards and watch for fresh sawdust buildup.

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Heh, that actually happened.  I was sure there were no nails or other foreign objects in the logs, but one of the hickory logs had a nail in it, and he charged me $15 for the sharpening that would be required.  Fortunately the blade wasn't ruined - that would've been $25.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good.  I had several cherry logs cut on site in a similar manner.  Like you, I also had one nail, but it ruined the blade.  The logs were given to me, I just had to rent a large enough trailer to get them to my house.  The guy brought his sawmill and buzzed them up in an evening.  My dad made a nice bookshelf for my wife and I and each of my three kids, and I still have 400 board feet left waiting for me to have time to devote to building more furniture.  My final cost per rough sawn board foot was $0.20.

If I had the need, and it was my wood, I would not hesitate plane one side of that pile and install a wide plank country floor.

Some of that lumber is beautifully grained, and you will have the luxury of wide planks when you do get to building something.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nothing you can really do at this point but watch for bored holes. From memory, several types of these beetles only lay eggs on living or dying trees. If they were not infested before the trees were cut, it's unlikely that they will be afterwards. The other types could lay eggs and result in an infestation. Shine a flashlight between the layers of boards and watch for fresh sawdust buildup.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Powder Post Beetle

I haven't seen any sign of any holes in any of the boards, but a few years back I do remember seeing a bunch of sawdust piles coming out of holes in the firewood.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Once it's all dry I'm going to buy a planer.  They have them at Home Depot for $400.  Not gonna do it all at once, though, just as I need them probably.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope you have a jointer and planer and lots of blades.  Very nice.

Once it's all dry I'm going to buy a planer.  They have them at Home Depot for $400.  Not gonna do it all at once, though, just as I need them probably.

At that price you're talking about a benchtop planer.   I'm on my third, and I seriously doubt that I've planed a thousand board feet total.  And that was only taking a 1/16" of of already sawmill planed lumber in order to bring it down to an exact 3/4".  My advice would be to get a Rigid and make sure you save the UPC and file the warranty paper work within the time limit.  You're going to need it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

At that price you're talking about a benchtop planer.   I'm on my third, and I seriously doubt that I've planed a thousand board feet total.  And that was only taking a 1/16" of of already sawmill planed lumber in order to bring it down to an exact 3/4".  My advice would be to get a Rigid and make sure you save the UPC and file the warranty paper work within the time limit.  You're going to need it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So . . . the benchtop planers aren't designed for so much wood, but if I get the full warranty I can get as many replacements as I need for the wood I have?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So . . . the benchtop planers aren't designed for so much wood, but if I get the full warranty I can get as many replacements as I need for the wood I have?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rigid has a great replacement warranty, but you MUST, and I repeat MUST file the warranty paperwork as soon as you buy it or you're SOL.

He's basically saying for that much money the device is disposable, and to go with a brand that will replace it as needed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At that price you're talking about a benchtop planer.   I'm on my third, and I seriously doubt that I've planed a thousand board feet total.  And that was only taking a 1/16" off of already sawmill planed lumber in order to bring it down to an exact 3/4".  My advice would be to get a Rigid and make sure you save the UPC and file the warranty paper work within the time limit.  You're going to need it.

Based on my experience with that class of planer and my understanding of the Rigid warranty, yes.  

By the way, after two Delta benchtop planers, I now have a Rigid based on the advice of the guys at the power tool repair shop.  I've had it for maybe eighteen months and I've been satisfied so far.  My only bitch is that you can't fold up the outfeed table with the exhaust chute in place.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:03:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 2:23:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll be over tomorrow with my truck.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Based on my experience with that class of planer and my understanding of the Rigid warranty, yes.  

By the way, after two Delta benchtop planers, I now have a Rigid based on the advice of the guys at the power tool repair shop.  I've had it for maybe eighteen months and I've been satisfied so far.  My only bitch is that you can't fold up the outfeed table with the exhaust chute in place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At that price you're talking about a benchtop planer.   I'm on my third, and I seriously doubt that I've planed a thousand board feet total.  And that was only taking a 1/16" off of already sawmill planed lumber in order to bring it down to an exact 3/4".  My advice would be to get a Rigid and make sure you save the UPC and file the warranty paper work within the time limit.  You're going to need it.

What about DeWalt?  This is the one that they have at the local Home Depot.

On the website they have this Ridgid brand.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

There is a woman maybe thirty minutes from where I live who has a Wood-Mizer.  She sawed and milled all the flooring for her house, does small lots for whoever needs it, and does (or did) custom sawing for local deadrise boat builders.  Wiry old thing, neat person.
View Quote
Folks like that are great to shoot the breeze with ....true 'salt-of-the-earth' types that give our life more color

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Sweet.

Father in law has a woodmizer like that.

Good Friend has a big one with dual axles, forget what brand it is.
View Quote
Bunches of them around here , my next door neighbor has one and I keep wanting to stop by when it's running and check it out .

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Start looking on Craigslist for a large jointer/planer (not a thickness planer) now.  The larger ones usually go for little more than a brand new 8" because they are such a PITA for the average person to move.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
At that price, you're talking about a benchtop planer.   I'm on my third, and I seriously doubt that I've planed a thousand board feet total.  And that was only taking a 1/16" off of already sawmill planed lumber in order to bring it down to an exact 3/4".  My advice would be to get a Rigid and make sure you save the UPC and file the warranty paper work within the time limit.  You're going to need it.

I wouldn't have any qualms about the DeWalt so long as they had a comparable warrantee.  I'd probably try to scrape together another $200 and go for their higher end model though.  Keep in mind that what you're looking to is a little more than purely weekend hobbiest stuff.

The Ridged in the picture isn't exactly like the one I have (mine has about a four inch diameter wheel on the right side for setting the thickness) so I don't have any experience with that particular model.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get some good blades. Those $400 portable planers are going to be maxxed out planing that.

Also, don't bother planing the wood you are going to sell, we can tell what it looks like rough-sawn, and most people like to dress the board a certain way.
If you get a hobbyist that need a couple boards, sure, but don't waste your time planing it to sell.

I don't know where in IN you are, but this is what you need to be looking for:  Planer

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Rigid has a great replacement warranty, but you MUST, and I repeat MUST file the warranty paperwork as soon as you buy it or you're SOL.

View Quote
Yupper ....found that out the hard way

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#24]
That lumber pile makes my inner pyromaniac want to buy a six pack, a couple gallons of diesel, and a match
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've probably planed as much wood as you have with this.  Do not rely on the thickness gauge, it sucks.  I use my dial calipers after a pass to determine when to stop planing my pieces.  

Note a planer makes a flat surface parallel to the opposite site of the board.  You need a jointer to flaten one side, then the planer to make the opposite side parallel to the side you jointed.  If you take a board that has a bow or twist in it and just run it through a planer, you'll end up with a bowed or twisted board.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Start looking on Craigslist for a large jointer/planer (not a thickness planer) now.  The larger ones usually go for little more than a brand new 8" because they are such a PITA for the average person to move.

View Quote

Just to add to this, you will also need a thickness planer, I didn't want to confuse you.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Folks like that are great to shoot the breeze with ....true 'salt-of-the-earth' types that give our life more color

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a woman maybe thirty minutes from where I live who has a Wood-Mizer.  She sawed and milled all the flooring for her house, does small lots for whoever needs it, and does (or did) custom sawing for local deadrise boat builders.  Wiry old thing, neat person.

They're a crew, live on the rump of an old plantation that's been in her husband's family for a couple centuries.  He owns/operates a pretty good barbecue place in addition to farming a hundred acres or so.  Last time she did some sawing for me, her daughter - maybe thirteen/fourteen - was on an old 8N bushhogging around one of the barns wearing a tee-shirt and a pair of ripped up jogging shorts, totally not caring that half her ass was hanging out.  My kind of folks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:56:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Get a jointer. You will need it to get  other side flat.
One side ran on a jointer then 2nd side thru the planner.

I would shop around Craigslist or loval woodworking sites for more heavy duty equipment than the ones at Lowe'sor home depot.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you follow recommendations on cool-down, you probably won't BREAK the unit.  However, benchtops aren't the most powerful, and you're going to be taking many, many thin passes over those boards.  I'd get at least a few sets of blades for it, so you can simply swap them out during the days (yes, plural) that you will spend planing, and do your sharpening each night when you're done.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I wouldn't have any qualms about the DeWalt so long as they had a comparable warrantee.  I'd probably try to scrape together another $200 and go for their higher end model though.  Keep in mind that what you're looking to is a little more than purely weekend hobbiest stuff.

The Ridged in the picture isn't exactly like the one I have (mine has about a four inch diameter wheel on the right side for setting the thickness) so I don't have any experience with that particular model.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At that price, you're talking about a benchtop planer.   I'm on my third, and I seriously doubt that I've planed a thousand board feet total.  And that was only taking a 1/16" off of already sawmill planed lumber in order to bring it down to an exact 3/4".  My advice would be to get a Rigid and make sure you save the UPC and file the warranty paper work within the time limit.  You're going to need it.

I'm on my fifth year with a 13" Rigid planer and it still works like new.  I've used it to mill wainscoting for 3 rooms and lots of other projects with no issues whatsoever.  My previous planer was a 12" DELTA that tossed a blade and self-destructed after I had owned it for only a couple of years.  Luckily the safety mechanisms contained the broken blade and the only casualties were the planer and my underwear...but the planer was a total loss.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:12:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm on my fifth year with a 13" Rigid planer and it still works like new.  I've used it to mill wainscoting for 3 rooms and lots of other projects with no issues whatsoever.  My previous planer was a 12" DELTA that tossed a blade and self-destructed after I had owned it for only a couple of years.  Luckily the safety mechanisms contained the broken blade and the only casualties were the planer and my underwear...but the planer was a total loss.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to know, thank you.  Also nice to know that I'm not the only person who can't correctly spell the name of his own tools.    
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:22:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

That's good to know, thank you.  Also nice to know that I'm not the only person who can't correctly spell the name of his own tools.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hee hee, I was going to say "what's a little d between friends", but then I realized who I was talking to.    BTW, having a planer blow up within a few inches of your face is a memorable experience to say the least...

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#33]
That's really cool.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#34]
So what's the deal with drying/seasoning?  I knew a guy that bought one of those sawmills, chopped a bunch of trees on his property and built a barn, house, and some outbuildings with the lumber, but it seems like every board he made curled on him.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So what's the deal with drying/seasoning?  I knew a guy that bought one of those sawmills, chopped a bunch of trees on his property and built a barn, house, and some outbuildings with the lumber, but it seems like every board he made curled on him.
View Quote

How thick were they cut?  I did some experiments with log-sized boards that I cut with a tablesaw a half a year ago or so, and any board thinner than about 3/4" bowed a bit, but the 1" boards all seemed to stay straight.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hee hee, I was going to say "what's a little d between friends", but then I realized who I was talking to.    BTW, having a planer blow up within a few inches of your face is a memorable experience to say the least...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that'd get my attention.   My personal phobia is having a router bit shed a chunk of carbide at my stomach.  Actually, I'm pretty much terrified every time I turn on the TS, RAS, or a router.  But what really scares me is that I might not be terrified enough.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How thick were they cut?  I did some experiments with log-sized boards that I cut with a tablesaw a half a year ago or so, and any board thinner than about 3/4" bowed a bit, but the 1" boards all seemed to stay straight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might've been thinner than that, there was a lot of beer involved, I don't really remember
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#38]
That's not a log...THIS is a log...

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Before you do anything else, you MUST seal the ends of the boards or they WILL split on the ends.

What happens is that the ends dry out very quickly, then shrink and split due to the wood further in still being at a higher moisture content. The split will then migrate into the board and ruin it.   Sealing the ends allows for a more even drying of the wood and prevents splitting.

Don't ruin a lot of that beautiful wood without doing the proper prep.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#40]
And keep in mind that you might only be able to get the moisture content to ~15% by air drying. For any furniture or cabinet building you might want to do with it you want your moisture content between 6 & 8%
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#41]
A couple of things for you based on experience. Buy a box or two of Borax and dust all the boards with it, put a fan under the tarp to keep the air moving and to help reduce mold. You will probably regret having it slab cut, it's going to warp, cup and twist as it dries. It would have been better if you had it quarter-sawn. Boards would have been smaller but more dimensionally stable. Keep that in mind for the future.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#42]
I have had several very large black walnut trees cut down, my yard is full of them.  I wish I had known a service like this existed as I just let the tree cutters haul off and sell the logs to a sawmill themselves.  There is no telling how many thousands of $$$$ they were able to get for several of those trees.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
youtube has a video

I love gadgets!  it has some neat attachments, too.
View Quote

That is an impressive machine!
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yeah, that'd get my attention.   My personal phobia is having a router bit shed a chunk of carbide at my stomach.
View Quote

Stomach is fine, lots of soft tissue there to stop the flying bit of carbide, and nothing critical unless you have somewhat deep penetration.  The face is less fun.

Years ago, I had a miter saw blade flex, hit the metal fence, and blow up.  It wasn't the long, BRAAAAAAA! affair that I thought it would be, just...  BAM!, and I was left standing there feeling like I'd been shot in the face with a shotgun.  I brushed the carbide and steel pieces off/out of me, didn't bleed *too* much, and thanked myself for being good about wearing goggles.  Not glasses, full-on shop-class, maximum-overdork style goggles.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nice OP, ignore the non woodworkers.

They don't understand.
View Quote

This if I had that wood I would be crafting new furniture as we speak.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Stomach is fine, lots of soft tissue there to stop the flying bit of carbide, and nothing critical unless you have somewhat deep penetration.  The face is less fun.

Years ago, I had a miter saw blade flex, hit the metal fence, and blow up.  It wasn't the long, BRAAAAAAA! affair that I thought it would be, just...  BAM!, and I was left standing there feeling like I'd been shot in the face with a shotgun.  I brushed the carbide and steel pieces off/out of me, didn't bleed *too* much, and thanked myself for being good about wearing goggles.  Not glasses, full-on shop-class, maximum-overdork style goggles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, that'd get my attention.   My personal phobia is having a router bit shed a chunk of carbide at my stomach.

How long did it take you to wash out your drawers?

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#47]
I own a Woodmizer LT-40 and we do mobile sawing for people and sell some lumber on the side.  We like to charge by the hour so if the homeowner goofs off or doesnt have the logs easy to access we still get paid.  The bonus for the homeowner is if they do work and keep the mill loaded they end up way cheaper than paying by the bd ft.  We give the option but so far we havent had anybody want to pay us by the bd ft.  

Another option to consider is to check around with some local cabinet shops and you can usually get your lumber processed cheaper than doing it yourself especially since you dont have the tools.  I had 1k bd ft of poplar kiln dried, planed and tongue and grooved for $350 and never had to touch it.  Just something to consider.  This is a big operation but they love cash money.  They use a planer that weighs more than my truck and the big equipment makes quick work of small jobs.  

We used the wood to cover all the walls and the ceiling in what is going to be my new baby boy's room.  I had some antique heart pine beams milled down and processed also which I put in the ceiling of my living room and kitchen.  

There are some real unique things you can do with the wood.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, it happened too fast for me to even process.  By the time I had figured out what happened, it was all over and done.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I like posts like this.  Thanks for sharing and if you were to sell that stuff, what price would it fetch?

Chris
View Quote

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top