Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
lol you guys kill me

first off the gov spending any money on anything not strictly within the constitutional envelope is a problem, no doubt, yet if i were to recommend some severe cuts you guys only want to cut "entitlement" by which you mean the section 8 and foodstamps, not other forms of entitlement such as bennies for gov employees or grants to your pet cause of the day, which of course makes me want to taunt you like a frenchman from atop a castle wall.

secondly, the OP appears to lament not the section8 itself but rather that he must live nextdoor to them and wants to run them off, but in a legal sorta way because apparently walking over there and telling them what he really thinks or getting physical is too much effort.

Thirdly, as I said before, renting your structures through hud is a bad idea and a bad investment unless slum lord is your style, I wouldn't recommend it, I've tried it, its not really proffitable longterm.

And lastly what I took issue with was the overall general tone  was hearing, that just because they were section 8 they were scum. Now I tried to point out as an example, how here locally for a lot of women to escape a bad situation the use of section 8 was key due to cultural realities, it allowed them an immediate out during which they could build the social capital that would allow for getting a job and paying rent like the rest of us. Unspoken was the commonly know fact that many get section 8 and stop the self improvement journey at that point because work is for suckers.

You guys came off as a bunch of monocle wearing monopoly bankers deriding reginald's bently because the exhaust is from autozone and not vintage. Now we all know that monopoly banker cat never worked a real job in his life and was probably born entitled to his family's fortune, which adds another layer of delicious irony to the mental image I was getting there.

Then to add pancakes to the porridge you wanted to go grammar nazi on me because I was kind enough to try a phonetic manuever designed to help you hear it the way it sounds with cultural miasma such as accent and slurred speach. Pearls before swine.

English not your first language?

get back to me when you no longer have to press 1 for spanish or 2 for english lol

My family is mostly from Eastern Kentucky by the way. They can all type a coherent sentence.

Their achievment in this regard is most impressive, but not uncommon, you see it was not a lack of ability but a choice of flair. I'm sorry you failed to appreciate that.

Other than that I have nothing to add besides the obvious.

cats are superior pets to dogs?

You have zero entitlement to free housing no matter how unfortunate your situation.

agreed!

but that wasn't really the issue

It is a proven fact that public housing developments and section 8/HUD programs breed crime and destroy neighborhoods and schools wherever try are placed.

No, actually, it is not a proven fact, as cultural and economic issues tend to have an air of the subjective along with a high "x" factor, if you will recall your sociology you will remember that correlation is not causality, something we had to argue with liberal shitbag instructors constantly where firearms and crime is concerned.

But I'd lean toward agreeing that the social norms of the type of persons who typically fill the section 8 housing outside of rural appalachia and particularly in urban and suburban areas, does easily lend itself to behaviors that negatively impact the crime statistics just the way you suggest.

Trash is trash and calling trash what it is does not make one a holier than thou elitist snob.

Agreed! however, it is no more an absolute that one in section 8 housing is trash ( as I tried to communicate) than it is an absolute that one wearing khakis and a polo living in a nice mcmansion is an embezzling kiddie diddler. You could say however, that the odds are perhaps good though...(on both counts? lol!)

That you can't understand why people who work hard for a living don't want to see their tax dollars used to ruin their neighborhoods is suggestive of something.

That you seem to not understand that I do understand, because I don't want to pay for such fraud waste and abuse either, is also suggestive of something. Now, many a miner or lumberjack or welder or steel-mill worker does lament this very thing and yes they work hard no doubt....but the yacht club, paris hilton, some financeer (fancy word for con artist?) has the same lament despite the lack or real actual hard work (dependant of course on the definition of work).

I've personally been in many homes where the customers are the subdivision mcmansion types, with way too many annoying yapping dogs, and despite the visual cleanliness where found the odor of dog habitation is disgraceful.....I've also been in shacks that belong in the third world where the smell of the burning coal in the stoker was much preferable, so based on that alone I'd be hesitant to engage in class warfare from the rich end while pretending I'm not.

One fine upstanding faux-rich customer I'd met, up to his ass in debt btw, was a finacial advisor....the racket he ran was effectively a pawn shop when you boil it down to its essence.....yet he'd be the type to oppose opening an actual ak47-on-the-wall pawn shop in his neighborhood.

Now, consider this, around here you have a lot of guys, some with families, who are in the national guard or just out of active duty, who live in section 8 and draw foodstamps, their income allows for it and in a lot of cases the economic reality dictates that unless some new industry breaks open nearby, their choice is that, leave the area, or criminal activity for the most part. Would you call them scum and seek to pre-emptively evict them with social detterence as well?

Now I'm all for ending entitlements, ALL of them, on both ends of the teat.....but it must be both ends.

As I said, class warfare is an ugly thing, and works in both directions, no one political party owns it. Threads such as this serve as "proof" to the ignorant that the democrats are right and that they are "for the poor people" while other parties are for the "already entitled". This does not serve our cause well I fear.

Now....

I can type "That son of a bitch is not destroying my property if I can prevent it" but when I say it or hear it in my head it's more like "at sumbitch ainta fuckin my couch up i'll kill his damn ass".

In the future, if most of you cannot rub enough synapses together to pick up on this and understand it, I shall endeavor to alter the language further to spite and belittle you.

Tis' the least I can do  

"...at damn shakespear nevah writ no numbah one country western chart toppin hit!!"
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
doh, also, texas is bigger than most fat chicks who live in public housing, so like, don't mess with texas  
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Redacted.

Retardation Level Exceeded.

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Redacted.

lol

boy i told you to stop eatin' them retard pills before ya levels topped out now dint i?

dont worry i'll keep an eye on ye, i wont let ye be runnin around, go play squat snatch in the tater patch till ya heal up and recover sum  
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Redacted.

lol

boy i told you to stop eatin' them retard pills before ya levels topped out now dint i?

dont worry i'll keep an eye on ye, i wont let ye be runnin around play squat snatch in the tater patch till ya heal up and recover sum  

Seriously, last night I thought that you were probably drunk and wrote your postings off to that.

Tonight though...you only lock in my worst fears and concerns about you.

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Redacted.

lol

dont worry i'll keep an eye on ye, i wont let ye be runnin around play squat snatch in the tater patch till ya heal up and recover sum  

Seriously, last night I thought that you were probably drunk and wrote your postings off to that.

well honestly last night i was drunk. but thats irrelevant.

and what would your worst fears be my son?

eta:

i would like to retort to your imperious vaguery with something similar, but I really have no fears about you, since I'm fairly positive you are a living organism and thus in the broadest sense subject to all the real rules that matter, just the same as me.

but i'll tell you what I fear about me....I fear that somehow, someday, in some sense, I will become lord and ruler of a hell, and then realize it is the worst job ever.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#8]

lol yeah i can do that too!
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Aside from creative uses of power tools, I will say make sure you get a damn good home alarm and start a neighborhood watch.   And hide or chain down everything...including your garbage cans.  Don't be shocked when you come home from work and find their homeboys parked in your driveway.  

You're fucked.  GTFO before you find used syringes in your neighborhood park.

About 10 years ago they showed up in my old neighborhood.  There was a rash of B&Es, etc.  My mother and neighbors were put through all sorts of hell, even with a cop living on the street.   Some of the now adult neighborhood kids came back and we used some less than legal methods to keep the shitbirds at bay.  The cop made sure no units responded to any of it.  Of course, this was in RI when you can use the winter to your advantage.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Redacted.

lol

eta:

i would like to retort to your imperious vaguery with something similar, but I really have no fears about you, since I'm fairly positive you are a living organism and thus in the broadest sense subject to all the real rules that matter, just the same as me.

but i'll tell you what I fear about me....I fear that somehow, someday, in some sense, I will become lord and ruler of a hell, and then realize it is the worst job ever.

The most incredible part of all of this is that even though you have made nearly 10,000 posts, many of which I assume are of a similar disposition to those found here, I had no idea you existed prior to this thread.  It intrigues me that I could have so carelessly overlooked such a curious poster.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Redacted.

lol

eta:

The most incredible part of all of this is that even though you have made nearly 10,000 posts, many of which I assume are of a similar disposition to those found here, I had no idea you existed prior to this thread.  It intrigues me that I could have so carelessly overlooked such a curious poster.  

well ya see i spent a few periods banned as it were, on account of i gotta bad habit of playing devils advocate that was drilled into me in college.

the commies in college hated my "right-wing crusade", which was just simple libertarianism really, and sought to nuetralize me by forcing me to be the devils advocate whenever open discussion was to be had.

and so i been prone to take and run with whatever unpopular stance seems to break a consensus or circle jerk, just cause pavlov had a dog.

in some cases this can incur a mighty wrath, and so i spent time in durance vile as a result. later still for the lulz, another bad habit, i wrote up some fiction what included violence torture and such, which triggered another span in the can.

perhaps you missed me.

I'm told by a few I am well loved at least.

My boss says 1 out of 5 people hate me.

i have not yet recovered.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

well ya see i spent a few periods banned as it were, on account of i gotta bad habit of playing devils advocate that was drilled into me in college.

the commies in college hated my "right-wing crusade", which was just simple libertarianism really, and sought to nuetralize me by forcing me to be the devils advocate whenever open discussion was to be had.

and so i been prone to take and run with whatever unpopular stance seems to break a consensus or circle jerk, just cause pavlov had a dog.

in some cases this can incur a mighty wrath, and so i spent time in durance vile as a result. later still for the lulz, another bad habit, i wrote up some fiction what included violence torture and such, which triggered another span in the can.

perhaps you missed me.

Around here, we call that trolling.  Many do it.  Fewer admit to it.

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

perhaps you missed me.

Around here, we call that trolling.  Many do it.  Fewer admit to it.

i suppose, if you were, say, you, that you could call it trolling....but given as my intent doesn't quite rise to that level, and that I'm not, say, you, or similarly afflicted, I wouldn't say it counts as trolling.

now if it does, in your mind, then clearly your definition of trolling is anything that doesn't fit the consensus.

which sorta totally trolls the very premise of "discussion board".

now....gtfo outta my tater patch yankee lol
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#14]
yeah so, uh...

k then OP...

take and go over there, tell them scumbag HOA motherfuckers i mean section 8 motherfuckers, exactly what you think of them and hud....

then report back with pics.  

OR....

go tell daddy gov what you think of him spending yer money that way, and report back, with pics of course.

eta:

those peole, scum or not, aint gonna blow a chance to be nextdoor to a cool guy like you, and big daddy gov, well he aint gonna risk doing anything that might make you not give him his due, and no, he totally won't mind you questioning how he spends "his" tax dollars.

and they aARE his....since you "gave" them to him and all....or did he "take" them?

shit i hope he didn't take them.....that would be very unpolite....and un-neighborly....

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#15]
In the deeeep dark hills of Eastern Kentucky... that's the place where I traced my bloodliiiine. And it's there I read on an old hillside gravestone "You'll never leave Harlan alive."

<City Slick o' the Bluegrass>
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Good luck, OP
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In the deeeep dark hills of Eastern Kentucky... that's the place where I traced my bloodliiiine. And it's there I read on an old hillside gravestone "You'll never leave Harlan alive."

<City Slick o' the Bluegrass>

"we been up and down this god damn hill 16 times and these motherfuckers STILL don't think we serious...."

this is the fanger im a gonna check yer shit with lol

o hey

we could put the section 8 people here if you like:
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I understand Detroiters have a method to deal with "nuisance" houses.

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Move. Believe me you don't want to be anywhere near that stuff. Move now. I mean right now. Spring is coming spruce up the house and put it on the market YESTERDAY.

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#20]

i worrys so much that my neighbors might be section 8, or worse, bankers, that i just cant sleep...

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The empty house next door to me appears to have been turned in to a section 8,  It's not "rented" yet, but people have been looking.  Is their anything I can do within the law to stop it from being section 8?

I had a similar situation in my mom's neighborhood. Once they moved in the shenanigans started. Selling drugs right from their front porch, fights, loud parties. An anonymous letter to the chief of police put a stop to it all. For months cops would park rght in front of their house for house sometimes, eating lunch or doing paperwork. We don't hear a peep from them now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#22]
i reckon this song came outta section 8 housing:

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#23]
section 8, all about the chicken fuckin:

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#24]

and really boys, why so serious?

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#25]

christ said something, but fuck him he's dead right?

lol
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Send the Girl Scouts in to burn it down?

Cookies?  More like a protection racket...  
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Typical.  It looks like the Repukelicans are calling for more restrictions on Section 8

The first 10 should be in his neighborhood right near his house, if in ten years he still feels that way then let him introduce the bill.

Did you read the article?  It sounds like a step in the right direction.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's next, a thread on how to stop "loud rapid fire gun owning neighbors?" I thought this was a conservative site, not DU

What's the matter?  Your troll comment on page 3 got ignored, so now you have to come back and try it again?

Maybe you can explain to me how the government forcing who can live where is a conservative thing?

Because all I can do is go...................

I know you agree with me but you might have some ideas I haven't thought of?

As for the government telling them where to live its simple. The government pays their rent therefore the government has the right to dictate where they live. Take the king's shilling, do the king's bidding as it were.

In this case, it is not the "King's" shilling, it is ours.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The people who own the house next door to mine rented their house out to some gypsies.

...and I know exactly how that story ends.  No point in reading any further.

Are there still gypsies ?

The proper term is "Roma".  
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Quoted:

The staunch defenders of private property rights are strangely absent from this thread.
Let's take a little trip down memory lane...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1232008_California_City_Fines_Couple_for_Holding_Bible_Study_in_Their_Home.html

May I suggest you go to dictionary.com and look up definitions for "private" and "public" and cross-reference this with where the funding is coming from.
In case you don't feel like doing that, I'll make this brief:
If I'm footing the bill, I get a say over what happens.
If others are paying, and it does me no harm, then THEY have say over what happens.

Section 8 refers to government-subsidized rent paid on housing that is privately owned.  As taxpayers you and are are footing a miniscule part of the rent for a particular subsidized unit.  Tenants pay about 30% of the rent.  Just as with any other privately owned rental housing, the landlord is responsible for the quality of people who rent.
You do get a say in what happens, just as does everyone else who bothers to vote.  But you do have a real edge if you have subsidized renters in your neighborhood who are troublemakers - You can call not only the local police, you also have recourse with your local housing authority to report a nuisance.  Landlords participate because it increases the number of available tenants who can afford to rent from them, but they in turn have additional responsibilities to keep things in order.
I'm sure that the complaints raised in this thread are legitimate, but they seem to all refer to areas where entire blocks or neighborhoods have been made into subsidized housing.  That is not the case in the area of San Diego where I live - It's mostly owner-occupied single-family detached housing with a few duplexes and occasional multi-unit apartments that were built in the 1970s when zoning laws were looser, a subset of which are subsidized.  The neighborhood is very mixed so there isn't a concentration of non-working poor people in the area.

I know of neighborhoods where homeowners have gotten together and complained about apartment dwellers, subsidized or not, who are creating problems - Drug dealing, prostitution, derelict cars parked everywhere, big dogs kept in small quarters that crap everywhere when they are walked and their owners don't care.  The good people are able to get the problems solved by complaining to appropriate authorities.  If the cops can't or won't do anything and landlords don't care, then you are going to have problems whether the housing is subsidized or not.

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
different shoe sizes fer different feet...

but rural appalachia is poor and has unique cultural problems so i speak from there when i tell you this....

if section 8 is hud a couple things....

firstly never rent thru hud you get gov fucked. for real. it will cost u more for persistent repairs than you will gain in rent money.

secondly, just cuz sum1 rents this way doesnt make them scum or means yer house nextdoor will be caught in a methlab splosion....

for example, lotta boys i worked with, miners, gots womans to breed they seed, they gots plenty others to swallow and bathe in it, they can be prone to mistreat and starve a bitch. so lotta these women divorcin got no other option really, short o robbing you at gunpoint if you prefer.

course, a hand up where they on hud for a couple years before becoming productive is a far cry from the tales from gary indianna i hear where entire genrations are on hud.

lotta these gals got no skills outsida home-making, was largely banned from gettin any by family and church, now w/o their wife beatin hard drinkin whore chasin men they gotta try to make it w/o robbin banks or sellin drugs.

are you agin givin sumone a chance to get better?

why should they try then, why shouldnt they then just hunt yer ass down and kill you while yer on the shitter or arguin with the printer repairman and take yer shit an pawn it, least then they wouldnt have yer down the nose holier than thou stench to deal with and could hold their heads high and say "wow my low class ass totally kilt that hi class mofo and  took his shit i guess im better than him"

class warfare is a 2 way street you know and democrats dont own it.

Ya know, I'm from Ky too (and damned proud of it!), born and raised there for 39 years before I moved away and I still love the place (it's just tough to make a living there), and of all the posts I have ever read here this one makes me .  

I have always believed that stereotypes exist for a reason.

meh dont take it so harsh i can make a proper college level post if necessary, but hell this is the web, this is entertainment, so spell it like it sounds, try to make it readable in a text format so it sounds to the readers minds eye the way it would sound if he where actually here.

maybe you dont get that.

and btw, what part of kaintuck?

you from SE, or a flatlander....cuz if yer a flatlander you can go stand in the corner with the other clueless naysayers lol

Only parts of Kentucky that are truly flat are the rivers and lakes (and you probably haven't heard of Hopkinsville and personally I've never been further east than Richmond (DOCJT police academy at EKU)). Having said that what is it exactly I am supposedly clueless about? My post was talking about stereotypes. Or maybe it should have been about trolling?? Because you're just doing this to provoke a negative reaction, right? I read some of your later posts while searching for this one and your diction, grammar and spelling improved at least 100 IQ points somewhere along the way. Then you reverted again, so I wonder what the point is of you playing to a negative stereotype of the shoeless, ignorant backwards hillbilly of Hollywood fame? It is just an act but what does it prove?

I'm pretty sure most Americans are aware by now that Appalachia has some of the poorest, most rural people in the entire country.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

It's not uncommon here for 10% of any development (single, townhomes, codos, apartments) to be section 8 before they are even built.

happens here too. A contractor built a really nice luxury condo tower downtown. City told them they need to have some low income housing. Contractor said sure boss whatever you say. Then they built their luxury condo. Sold several of them. When they where done and the city came to inspect they said what about the low income? Forced the contractor to sell half the condo's as low income housing. How would you love to be one of the original buyers who paid top dollar. Probably 250K+ for a luxury downtown condo to have your neighbor live there for 300 a month. Trashing the place and putting graffiti everywhere. Sucks for them...

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I have lived in a town since I was 8 and section 8 has absolutely ruined it. You would think low lives would try to do better but they just keep up their typical bs
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The staunch defenders of private property rights are strangely absent from this thread.

Let's take a little trip down memory lane...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1232008_California_City_Fines_Couple_for_Holding_Bible_Study_in_Their_Home.html

I know of neighborhoods where homeowners have gotten together and complained about apartment dwellers, subsidized or not, who are creating problems - Drug dealing, prostitution, derelict cars parked everywhere, big dogs kept in small quarters that crap everywhere when they are walked and their owners don't care.  The good people are able to get the problems solved by complaining to appropriate authorities.  If the cops can't or won't do anything and landlords don't care, then you are going to have problems whether the housing is subsidized or not.

Why should normal, working people even have to *DO* this? Keep the Section 8 out...

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:01:45 AM EDT
[#35]
And as usual, the wonderful, caring liberals think this program is just wonderful  UNTIL the beautiful house next door goes Section 8.

When that happens one can behold the wailing and gnashing of teeth of the tenth magnatude.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:26:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
OP sounds like a liberal. How about you mind your own business?

His neighborhood, his business.    

All that is required for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. I cannot fault a man for not wanting to sit by and watch his neighborhood turn to shit at his own expense.

This is why I'm a libertarian and not a Republican.

Too many republicans sound like liberals (making statements like "his neighborhood, his business."

Nanny state.

I see this thread going very differently if your neighbors were upset that were shooting your rapid fire AR15 on your own land, instead of at a range.

My neighbors have piles of trash around their trailer. They have hundreds of tires piled on the sides of where they were illegally excavating to hold the bank back. They have 3 trailers on 1 acre, only 1 has power and running water. Nothing about their place is legal. They're all on govt, 1 used to work part time, now he gets paid by the state to take care of his mother (drive her to the grocery store, to doctors appts etc). The other is too fat to work, but not too fat to 4wheel and hunt all day long. Yet, as against all this as I am, its not my business. I disagree with the concept of paying for their things, but since our society is handing things out left and right to so many people (and I actually like these guys, despite how they are), I'm glad its these guys getting the handouts and not some druggie douchebags. I will go down to the polls and vote this stuff down every chance. I'm not going to take my neighbors on. Not going to rat them out. Not going to snub them or feel superior. This country, people should be able to live how they want. I would just rather govt not be giving these people my money. But its going to happen regardless
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:44:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
After katrina destroyed new orleans they bussed a shit ton of that trash to this area, built them brand new buildings and within a year the building were destroyed.

It got so bad that after 5yrs the build new appt complexes for them and moved them in there and demod the old ones. Now the new ones are starting to get destroyed and they have begun building new appt complexes to move them again.

Section 8 trash is a plague that cant be stopped

Why don't you take pictures of the new buildings going up, the visually document it's decline with pics taken over the space of months. Then when they tear the place down because of the rat infestation you can send the pics to your local congressman and show them what a waste section 8 is.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:02:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
After katrina destroyed new orleans they bussed a shit ton of that trash to this area, built them brand new buildings and within a year the building were destroyed.

It got so bad that after 5yrs the build new appt complexes for them and moved them in there and demod the old ones. Now the new ones are starting to get destroyed and they have begun building new appt complexes to move them again.

Why don't you take pictures of the new buildings going up, the visually document it's decline with pics taken over the space of months. Then when they tear the place down because of the rat infestation you can send the pics to your local congressman and show them what a waste section 8 is.

We had a similar thing here. Nice, new apartment complex went up. Within a couple of years it was uninhabitable.

It's now a parking lot.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:08:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This is why I'm a libertarian and not a Republican.

Too many republicans sound like liberals (making statements like "his neighborhood, his business."

Nanny state.

I see this thread going very differently if your neighbors were upset that were shooting your rapid fire AR15 on your own land, instead of at a range.

My neighbors have piles of trash around their trailer. They have hundreds of tires piled on the sides of where they were illegally excavating to hold the bank back. They have 3 trailers on 1 acre, only 1 has power and running water. Nothing about their place is legal. They're all on govt, 1 used to work part time, now he gets paid by the state to take care of his mother (drive her to the grocery store, to doctors appts etc). The other is too fat to work, but not too fat to 4wheel and hunt all day long. Yet, as against all this as I am, its not my business. I disagree with the concept of paying for their things, but since our society is handing things out left and right to so many people (and I actually like these guys, despite how they are), I'm glad its these guys getting the handouts and not some druggie douchebags. I will go down to the polls and vote this stuff down every chance. I'm not going to take my neighbors on. Not going to rat them out. Not going to snub them or feel superior. This country, people should be able to live how they want. I would just rather govt not be giving these people my money. But its going to happen regardless

How do you think your neighbors will affect your property value when you try to sell some day?

the problem with neighbors such as you describe is that their living conditions reflect their values. I know poor people who live simply. They don't live like rabid animals wallowing in the midst of their own waste

People who live like that also have other issues going on in their lives,and those issues can negatively impact on you.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:11:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a similar thing here. Nice, new apartment complex went up. Within a couple of years it was uninhabitable.

It's now a parking lot.

You guys sound like you would support Kelo vs New London. A whole lotta in this thread.

The case involved an economic development plan for the City of New London, Connecticut, which has been in economic decline for many decades. In 1996, the U.S. Navy closed its Undersea Warfare Center, causing the loss of over 1,500 jobs. In 1998, Pfizer, Inc., a large pharmaceutical company, announced plans to build a large research facility in New London on a site adjacent to the Fort Trumbull neighborhood. This neighborhood has been characterized as one with a high vacancy rate for nonresidential buildings, old buildings in poor shape, and with fewer than half of the residential properties in average or better condition (although the homes of the petitioners in this case did not fall into these categories).

The nonprofit New London Development Corporation (NLDC) was formed to help the city plan for economic development. After the Pfizer announcement, the city council authorized NLDC to formulate an economic development plan for 90 acres in Fort Trumbull. The plan's stated goals were to “create a development that would complement the facility that Pfizer was planning to build, create jobs, increase tax and other revenues, encourage public access to and use of the city’s waterfront, and eventually to build momentum for the revitalization of the rest of the city, including its downtown area."
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:18:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's now a parking lot.

You guys sound like you would support Kelo vs New London. A whole lotta in this thread.

The case involved an economic development plan for the City of New London, Connecticut, which has been in economic decline for many decades. In 1996, the U.S. Navy closed its Undersea Warfare Center, causing the loss of over 1,500 jobs. In 1998, Pfizer, Inc., a large pharmaceutical company, announced plans to build a large research facility in New London on a site adjacent to the Fort Trumbull neighborhood. This neighborhood has been characterized as one with a high vacancy rate for nonresidential buildings, old buildings in poor shape, and with fewer than half of the residential properties in average or better condition (although the homes of the petitioners in this case did not fall into these categories).

The nonprofit New London Development Corporation (NLDC) was formed to help the city plan for economic development. After the Pfizer announcement, the city council authorized NLDC to formulate an economic development plan for 90 acres in Fort Trumbull. The plan's stated goals were to “create a development that would complement the facility that Pfizer was planning to build, create jobs, increase tax and other revenues, encourage public access to and use of the city’s waterfront, and eventually to build momentum for the revitalization of the rest of the city, including its downtown area."

Your "logic" is nothing short of ... amazing.

I can see why Arfcom has the opinion of you that it does.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:22:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How do you think your neighbors will affect your property value when you try to sell some day?

the problem with neighbors such as you describe is that their living conditions reflect their values. I know poor people who live simply. They don't live like rabid animals wallowing in the midst of their own waste

People who live like that also have other issues going on in their lives,and those issues can negatively impact on you.

Are you a liberal or conservative? Everything you write comes straight out of the liberal handbook.

If I wanted govt to do things to positively affect my property values, they could start by not doing TARP, bailouts, spending trillions they don't have... Around here, conservation is the #1 cause of property value changes (for the positive). Large portions of land are bound up in conservation, and more is added to the pool of unusable land every year. Yet I am against that, because to me, freedom is more important than potentially selling my house for a few thousand more 30 years down the road.

Its attitudes like yours that make me sick. People with your beliefs have come into Vermont and ruined it. You don't own your land here in VT anymore, your neighbors have more say about what happens to your land than you do. Only approved buildings will be built. My other neighbor (who's on the selectboard and owns a farm that he subdivided into a development), tried to make another subdivision and got shot down because he projected the houses being built in the subdivision would be $175-225k and not $300-350 like the townspeople wanted.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:26:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Are you a liberal or conservative? Everything you write comes straight out of the liberal handbook.

If I wanted govt to do things to positively affect my property values, they could start by not doing TARP, bailouts, spending trillions they don't have... Around here, conservation is the #1 cause of property value changes (for the positive). Large portions of land are bound up in conservation, and more is added to the pool of unusable land every year. Yet I am against that, because to me, freedom is more important than potentially selling my house for a few thousand more 30 years down the road.

Its attitudes like yours that make me sick. People with your beliefs have come into Vermont and ruined it. You don't own your land here in VT anymore, your neighbors have more say about what happens to your land than you do. Only approved buildings will be built. My other neighbor (who's on the selectboard and owns a farm that he subdivided into a development), tried to make another subdivision and got shot down because he projected the houses being built in the subdivision would be $175-225k and not $300-350 like the townspeople wanted.

The fact is that having a bum next door living in squalor is going to affect your property values. That whole thing about allowing other people to do what they want til they impact you? Yeah, well.....at that point your neighbor teh bum has affected you.

Approved buildings? As in bulding codes and zoning? How shocking that we should expect buildings to conform to established rules for the location to be built on.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:35:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact is that having a bum next door living in squalor is going to affect your property values. That whole thing about allowing other people to do what they want til they impact you? Yeah, well.....at that point your neighbor teh bum has affected you.

Approved buildings? As in bulding codes and zoning? How shocking that we should expect buildings to conform to established rules for the location to be built on.

Approved buildings, as in the income level of people moving in. They don't want people in the 40-50k range, they want people in the $75k+ range with houses in the $300-350 range.

You seem like you want govt to get involved to raise your property values so you can sell at a higher price. Would it have been nice to have govt push my stocks up in 2008? Sure, but I'm against big govt involvement. I can't believe I'm actually arguing this. What is this, Democratic Underground?

If my property values drop, so does my property taxes. Seeing how I pay $4500 in property taxes, lowering that would be nice. Maybe I can get neighbors on all sides to be slums, then I'd really be helped out. For me, my vision of govt doesn't include controlling what people do with their property (or lives).
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:44:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Approved buildings, as in the income level of people moving in. They don't want people in the 40-50k range, they want people in the $75k+ range with houses in the $300-350 range.

You seem like you want govt to get involved to raise your property values so you can sell at a higher price. Would it have been nice to have govt push my stocks up in 2008? Sure, but I'm against big govt involvement. I can't believe I'm actually arguing this. What is this, Democratic Underground?

If my property values drop, so does my property taxes. Seeing how I pay $4500 in property taxes, lowering that would be nice. Maybe I can get neighbors on all sides to be slums, then I'd really be helped out. For me, my vision of govt doesn't include controlling what people do with their property (or lives).

Thats funny. In my area they're pushing "affordable housing" because all of the developments going in are seen as being unaffordable.
They'd be welcoming your neighbors plan.

You seem to forget that "gov't" is us. Its you, me and the rest of society. Your neighbors have deemed that certain developmental activities need to meet certain standards that are specified through rules and regulations and enforced by government. I am sure there was some discussion by the population before these rules were implemented. Thats how things work. Sorry that your view didn't win the day, but once again,  thats how it works. .Welcome to the 21st century.

You want a trashy neighbor to drop your land values so you have to pay less taxes? Just...wow. Good luck then.

As for your other comments, you seem to think that people who post here must meet some sort of conformity test to your own views?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:46:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Your "logic" is nothing short of ... amazing.

I can see why Arfcom has the opinion of you that it does.

Oh, you've done polls? I know I'm in the majority. I'm a libertarian. Many people around here, there's not much of a difference between them and liberals except on gun issues.

I like how you don't address anything, just put up a googly eye emoticon, add in some trollish borderline personal attacks, and click reply. I'm putting you on ignore (just so you know why I don't respond to you in the future, though I'm sure you won't care. Probably you'll even be happy about not interacting with me in the future, I know I will).
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats funny. In my area they're pushing "affordable housing" because all of the developments going in are seen as being unaffordable.
They'd be welcoming your neighbors plan.

You seem to forget that "gov't" is us. Its you, me and the rest of society. Your neighbors have deemed that certain developmental activities need to meet certain standards that are specified through rules and regulations and enforced by government. I am sure there was some discussion by the population before these rules were implemented. Thats how things work. Sorry that your view didn't win the day, but once again,  thats how it works. .Welcome to the 21st century.

You want a trashy neighbor to drop your land values so you have to pay less taxes? Just...wow. Good luck then.

As for your other comments, you seem to think that people who post here must meet some sort of conformity test to your own views?

Govt is us? Are you kidding? Not being represented here, half of society pays no income tax. They've learned to steal money through their votes. But as you say, that's how things work. Welcome to how a republic works. Our reps/senators who were voted in, voted for TARP, bailouts, Obama's insane spending... but as you say, that's how things work so who are we to complain?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:09:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Section 8 is the devil, there is no cure once it takes root.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:14:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So, I assume you condemn section 8 housing rules and regulations?

Because that is the government requiring certain types of housing be built.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top