Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 9/19/2011 3:11:34 AM EDT
A southern California couple has been fined $300 dollars for holding Christian Bible study sessions in their home, and could face another $500 for each additional gathering.

City officials in San Juan Capistrano, Calif. say Chuck and Stephanie Fromm are in violation of municipal code 9-3.301, which prohibits “religious, fraternal or non-profit” organizations in residential neighborhoods without a permit. Stephanie hosts a Wednesday Bible study that draws about 20 attendees, and Chuck holds a Sunday service that gets about 50.

The Fromms appealed their citations but were denied and warned future sessions would carry heftier penalties. A statement from the Pacific Justice Institute, which is defending the couple in a lawsuit against the city, said Chuck Fromm was also told regular gatherings of three or more people require a conditional use permit, which can be costly and difficult to obtain.

“How dare they tell us we can’t have whatever we want in our home,” Stephanie Fromm told the Capistrano Dispatch. “We want to be able to use our home. We’ve paid a lot and invested a lot in our home and backyard … I should be able to be hospitable in my home.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/california-city-fines-couple-for-holding-bible-study-in-their-home/
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:14:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Who turned them in?  1984 is alive and well in that town.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:19:41 AM EDT
[#2]
This is a joke right!!??
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:22:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Probably the neighbors who got sick of the influx of parking, pedestrians, and noise.

Just like you wouldn't like it if your neighbor started hosting youth soccer games in their backyard every tuesday and thursday.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:22:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is a joke right!!??

I wish
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:24:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who turned them in? 1984 is alive and well in that town.

Probably the neighbors who got sick of the influx of parking, pedestrians, and noise.

Just like you wouldn't like it if your neighbor started hosting youth soccer games in their backyard every tuesday and thursday.

Like it?  Probably not.

Invite the man into our lives?  Never.  

Their yard.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:25:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Probably parking complaints from the neighbors.

I'd say that that law is ripe for revision.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:25:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Haha Land of the Free!
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:26:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, maybe it's more to do with that.  (I mean, I HOPE that is the real reason.)
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:27:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Like it?  Probably not.

Their yard.

When the noise from the game leaves their yard, and enters a neighbors house, it effects the neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:30:46 AM EDT
[#10]
wow...where are the atheist who bitch about every christian word mentioned in government? thought they were supposed to be neutral

screw that...separation of church and state works both ways, i'd be getting a lawyer and that municipal code conflicts with the constitution

screw commifornia
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:30:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, likely due to the fact that they exhausted other means of trying to deal with this problem (which is likely noise and parking..........they said 20 people, so at least 10 cars).

We have a neighbor that LOVES to park in front of our house, but has a double car garage, and a huge driveway.  We have a driveway that is too short to put one of our cars on, and a small area in front to park on.

It's the most impolite fucking thing I have ever seen.  They refuse to use their damn driveway or garage.  My truck is in my garage, btw.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:36:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Haha Land of the Free!

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:37:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Like it?  Probably not.

Their yard.

When the noise from the game leaves their yard, and enters a neighbors house, it effects the neighbors.

I don't know how bible study goes in your area but it is just about the opposite of a soccer game as far as sound goes. (though they are both about as exciting)
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:38:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#15]
50 people every Sunday? Sounds more like a small church than a prayer meeting.They should look into renting a hall or gymnasium,meeting at a park that will better handle the influx of vehicles or limiting the number of people.It's not about religion it's about consideration for your neighbors.I'd have no problem with a bunch of people at a neighbors for any reason,but every Wed and Sun and I'd definitely feel put upon.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:40:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah, likely due to the fact that they exhausted other means of trying to deal with this problem (which is likely noise and parking..........they said 20 people, so at least 10 cars).

We have a neighbor that LOVES to park in front of our house, but has a double car garage, and a huge driveway.  We have a driveway that is too short to put one of our cars on, and a small area in front to park on.

It's the most impolite fucking thing I have ever seen.  They refuse to use their damn driveway or garage.  My truck is in my garage, btw.

Unless it is a private road can't anyone park in front of your house?

I have never understood why people feel they own the public street in front of their house.

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it rude.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:40:32 AM EDT
[#17]
They should be enforcing parking and noise violations if they are the problem.
It should be illegal to control who comes to my home.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:41:49 AM EDT
[#18]
The city is going to lose hard on this one. First amendment and all. Permit for a bible study? What elected official would ever want that fight on their record?

Now if the parking is the real concern, than they need to enforce parking codes on the books. The religious neighbors could also ask the attendees to car pool or park down the street and out of the way. I seriously doubt there are noise problems with praying.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:43:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never understood why people feel they own the public street in front of their house.

Yes, I was always taught it was rude to park in front of someone else's house unless absolutely necessary.  It is not necessary in this situation.  Ergo, it IS rude.  Just because you don't think so, doesn't mean that your OPINION is less false than mine is.

Furthermore, it is RUDE because it shows a complete lack of consideration for what others do.  This guy has ample space to park that does not negatively impact me.  But he still parks in front of my damn house.  After I get the pickup that I am waiting to get a hold of, I am going to park that sucker right smack in front of his house and not move it for a damn month.  

It IS disrespectful to park in front of another's house, and then leave your car there overnight, etc.  Park in front of your own house, IF there is space (which this guy has AMPLE space).  He just doesn't want to inconvenience himself, so he inconveniences me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:43:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
50 people every Sunday? Sounds more like a small church than a prayer meeting.They should look into renting a hall or gymnasium,meeting at a park that will better handle the influx of vehicles or limiting the number of people.It's not about religion it's about consideration for your neighbors.I'd have no problem with a bunch of people at a neighbors for any reason,but every Wed and Sun and I'd definitely feel put upon.

I'm inclined to agree. Their is no ordinance prohibiting them from worshipping inside their house. The ordinance addresses gatherings. Were I a neighbor, I would be annoyed if there were 30-40 cars lining the street every week and weekend, too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:44:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they parking illegally?  Is there a noise ordinance?  If not......
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:46:04 AM EDT
[#22]
The first century church met in groups in people's homes.

Today, that is becoming illegal.

Progress indeed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:46:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I was always taught it was rude to park in front of someone else's house unless absolutely necessary.  It is not necessary in this situation.  Ergo, it IS rude.  Just because you don't think so, doesn't mean that your OPINION is less false than mine is.

I think you are being rude posting, you should probably go.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:47:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The city is going to lose hard on this one. First amendment and all. Permit for a bible study? What elected official would ever want that fight on their record?

Now if the parking is the real concern, than they need to enforce parking codes on the books. The religious neighbors could also ask the attendees to car pool or park down the street and out of the way. I seriously doubt there are noise problems with praying.

This....I have no problem with the bible study.....but if the all the cars are causing issues then just ticket them and move on.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:47:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So does the sound of my lawnmower, do I need a permit for that?
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:48:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not inconvienceing you, ergo you should just ignore me.  I can't move his car, ergo he's an ass and you probably feel guilty and are taking it out on me, because your rusty truck is parked in front of your neighbors house too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:48:37 AM EDT
[#27]
The people are douchebags for putting their neighbors through that.
The local governmental goons are douchebags for putting a stop to it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:50:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm inclined to agree. Their is no ordinance prohibiting them from worshipping inside their house. The ordinance addresses gatherings. Were I a neighbor, I would be annoyed if there were 30-40 cars lining the street every week and weekend, too.

Oh no, cars lining the street, dogs and cats living together, it's the end of the world.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:51:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're obviously new to this California thing.  Electric lawnmower.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:52:48 AM EDT
[#30]
You know how expcustom will bitch about shit like this?  All the people parking on the street making his neighborhood look like shit?  Well Cali is full of folks like him.

Eta: then they will be all like afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:55:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are mowing at 4am what is the likely outcome?

Or 9pm?

Or midnight?

Your lawn mowing has to be conducted at reasonable hours.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:57:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree'd, a small bible study is 5-7ish people, anything larger seems to be an upstart church running out of thier house.  Add on top of that a Sunday "Service", where is all the parking to have that many people at your house multiple times a week.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:01:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not inconvienceing you, ergo you should just ignore me.  I can't move his car, ergo he's an ass and you probably feel guilty and are taking it out on me, because your rusty truck is parked in front of your neighbors house too.

Actually I own enough land I don't have to worry about petty, whiny bitches complaining about stupid shit.  Hell I have my own motorcross track.  I have no HOAs, no busybody neighbors worrying about what I am doing, no bs crying city officials crying about whatever.  You see I don't like other people around me either, but if you chose to live around people then that is your choice and you should be tolerant of your neighbor.  If your not, then expect the same kindness in return.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:09:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Like it?  Probably not.

Their yard.

OLY -

So their religious freedom should bow down to your desire for low traffic and noise?  Your lack of respect for the constitution is disgusting.

I may not like everything those around me do, but I support their right to do so.

Someone holding a weekly meeting in their house does not infringe on your constitution rights, but you're on a slippery slope if you are willing to trample theirs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:17:51 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or 9pm?

Or midnight?

So then what are reasonable hours to hold religious get together in one's house?  Oh thats right.  NEVER.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:20:14 AM EDT
[#36]
everyone is posting about some sort of nuisance law....the stated municipal code in this case is about actual religious freedom, which making such code is a violation of church and state
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, maybe it's more to do with that.  (I mean, I HOPE that is the real reason.)

I couldn't give less of a shit if my neighbors were holding a church service in their house.  But 50 people means a LOT of cars every week.  That WOULD piss me off.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:20:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soccer games are not in that pesky Bill of Rights.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:21:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it would be more welcomed if there was a bunch of illegal aliens participating.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:31:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Now I remember the reason I live on a dead end road, my property bordering the Clark State Forest and my closest neighbor 600 feet away.  It is so some someone like a few of the assholes here would stop fuckin with me.  

My neighbors have field parties, have a mud pit driving high HP 4x4s with open headers, ride 4 wheelers (loud fuckers) drunken all night.  It is their mother fucking land.  I might not like it sometimes but this is the USA and that freedom makes me proud.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:32:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Like it?  Probably not.

Their yard.

Is this how the "New Libertarian Party" interprets libertarianism?

Your freedom ends when I am bothered and the government will help me enforce that line.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:33:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or 9pm?

Or midnight?

Ask the people here who have lived in the Arctic what is a reasonable hour.  Who is the judge of such reasonable hours.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:34:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no, that's impossible, it's persecution, plain and simple!  They're being nailed up on a cross.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:35:37 AM EDT
[#44]
More and more Americans think it is normal to piss in God's face.

Gonna suck to be them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:36:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it would be more welcomed if there was a bunch of illegal aliens participating.

No citations would have been issued.  God forbid then they would have to ask for an ID

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:37:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My.....

how Progressive

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:41:23 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no, cars lining the street, dogs and cats living together, it's the end of the world.

Silly people, cars don't belong on the street.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, case closed.

It's not about their freedom of religion, it's their making their house a church every week.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:31:50 AM EDT
[#49]
20 people is a lot of parking.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:33:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Here's one atheist who says that ordinance is bullshit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top