Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/10/2012 8:31:47 AM EDT
Because cableas just left a message that the 3 SKS's we bought in November could possibly been demilitarized and they might not be safe to shoot. They want us to bring them back so they can be inspected.

Now all three have been taken apart and cleaned. I put 30+ rounds through mine already.

So would it be  noticeable that it was demilled?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#1]
What do they mean by de-milled regarding sks?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Because cableas just left a message that the 3 SKS's we bought in November could possibly been demilitarized and they might not be safe to shoot. They want us to bring them back so they can be inspected.

Now all three have been taken apart and cleaned. I put 30+ rounds through mine already.

Its noticeable:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=98975.msg1195426#msg1195426

(The one you already fired is fine.  No way you'd get more than one shot out of one that got demilled)

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1287669_Anyone_else_get_a_call_from_Cabela_s_recalling_guns_.html

Couple of other people here got the call in the last 24hrs.

Someone bought one, cleaned it, and fired it without noticing the 1/4" hole drilled in the chamber:

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Someone bought one, cleaned it, and fired it without noticing the 1/4" hole drilled in the chamber:

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#5]
If you honestly cleaned and inspected every part, you would notice if it were demilled.

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:43:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1287669_Anyone_else_get_a_call_from_Cabela_s_recalling_guns_.html

Couple of other people here got the call in the last 24hrs.

That's a dumb fuckin way to demil a rifle. Jesus.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The hole is a great idea. It is a modern improvement to an old rifle. The SKS didn't come with a loaded chamber indicator and someone invented a cool way to show the firearm is loaded. I am sure a member here already patented the idea, so he may want to go after Cabelas for infringement.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#8]
What the fuck?

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#9]
That de-mill may not be complete.

A screw welded into the hole across the chamber would prevent a round from being chambered at all.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Are these Yugo's?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Crappy importer, for sure.  Not test firing?  Stupidity.  Not field stripping and inspecting a bargain basement sale?  Caveat Emptor.

EVERY used firearm I buy gets stripped, inspected and cleaned before use.

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#12]
How the hell would you not notice a hole that big where there shouldn't be a hole...
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What the fuck?  

This.

The Fuck is that?

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Worms...
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What do they mean by de-milled regarding sks?

This, I bought two about the same time. They were 249.99 a piece?? Mine look to have never been fired.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

How the hell would you not notice a hole that big where there shouldn't be a hole...

Who would think to look for a fuckin' hole there?

Certainly not standard on that year, make, and model.

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Inspection port.

Also, if you're shooting brass 7.62x39, and you reload, the bump on the side of the case after firing provides positive identification as to what brass is yours.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#18]
It is not demilled if the receiver is intact, correct?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
What the fuck?  

This.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk35/ironrangerpt/P2050005.jpg

The Fuck is that?

It's a 1/4 inch hole in the chamber of an SKS.   Kinda bogus, then again, doesn't the company say something about having the gun inspected first?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Not to US standards, but could be for other countries...

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn, I'm thinking someone mistook the flash hider / grenade launcher for the chamber.  That's the only demil I ever heard of on Yugo SKS's.

LC
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its noticeable:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=98975.msg1195426#msg1195426

(The one you already fired is fine.  No way you'd get more than one shot out of one that got demilled)

Thanks for posting that. Going to inspect my two right now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#23]
dammit damcv62!
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who would think to look for a fuckin' hole there?

Certainly not standard on that year, make, and model.

I for one would notice a huge hole where there shouldn't be one. Even with the stock on you would see the top of the hole..

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Cosmoline could of filled the hole and not be seen.

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Uhh ohh

Some one is going to be in trouble.

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cosmoline could of filled the hole and not be seen.

That is true however after it was cleaned it should have been noticed..

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It's a 1/4 inch hole in the chamber of an SKS.   Kinda bogus, then again, doesn't the company say something about having the gun inspected first?

So if I buy a gun at a gun store, I'm supposed to take it to another gun store to get it inspected?

I'm not quite following what you're saying here.

I know that if I saw that, I'd know something is wrong.

But I wouldn't expect the average everyday Joe Sixpack to notice it or know.

This is a pretty serious issue...

they're selling guns that are set up for catastrophic failure to people who would expect them to work out of the box.

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#29]
That's fucked up like a football bat.

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Importers do NOT do gun by gun inspections.  Yugos came still in the comsmoline slime.  These were mixed in with valid guns.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Ok.  I am be totally off base here, but when I buy something from a dealer, I expect it to function as advertised.

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Children.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Ok.  I am be totally off base here, but when I buy something from a dealer, I expect it to function as advertised.
Impeach Obama for the Good of the Children.

You are not off base but even if I buy something from a dealer that has the ability to fuck your day up I look it over first..

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#33]
That hole is a safety device to make sure the chamber pressure doesn't get too high.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Inspection port.

Also, if you're shooting brass 7.62x39, and you reload, the bump on the side of the case after firing provides positive identification as to what brass is yours.

That hole would be blown out on a fired case.  If not for the handguard, that piece of metal would embed itself under skin.  40,000 PSI cuts like a knife.

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#35]
I got this call last night also.  Guys on my local board thought I was messing around, or someone was messing with me.  The original caller told me get the rifle back ASAP.  what he should of said, was look for the dam hole, if you have one, take it back to the store.  My cabelas is about 70 miles one way from me.  So I called the store, the guy in the gun counter told me what to look for and all is well with my gun.  I have put about 200 rounds through it and all is fine.

They need to have the facts when they make these phone calls.  Not some pencil pusher who has never handled a gun making the calls.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I got this call last night also. Guys on my local board thought I was messing around, or someone was messing with me. The original caller told me get the rifle back ASAP. what he should of said, was look for the dam hole, if you have one, take it back to the store. My cabelas is about 70 miles one way from me. So I called the store, the guy in the gun counter told me what to look for and all is well with my gun. I have put about 200 rounds through it and all is fine.

They need to have the facts when they make these phone calls. Not some pencil pusher who has never handled a gun making the calls.

Lawyer mandated.  Can you imagine the liability, considering the number of first time gun owners there are these days?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That hole is a safety device to make sure the chamber pressure doesn't get too high.

I hear that's going to be a feature on Gen 5 glocks.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lets see, he cleaned the Kosmo from every single "oraface' of the rifle, but DIDNT notice the 1/4" HOLE in the barrel trunnion?????/
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Another thing to consider is that there is a risk of more being out there than those just coming from Cabelas.  Did Cabelas buy all from this importer?  If not, who else got them.  How many will eventually be found to be drilled?  Or was this just a one off with drunk Javic mistakenly installing a barrel that was intentionally and obviously deactivated and meant for the furnace?

To those who are getting the calls, who is your importer?  
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#40]
If it was imported and sold still in the cosmo like my yugo SKS and M44 were, I completely understand how it happened.  

As for that not being a "real" demil, it sure aint from the ATF definitions, but might be completely acceptable back wherever it came from.  I wonder if they were intended as drill or training rifles.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Inspection port.

That hole would be blown out on a fired case.  If not for the handguard, that piece of metal would embed itself under skin.  40,000 PSI cuts like a knife.

Yes... That's the joke.

I often deliver my humor like  I like my martinis... dry.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They did that on Marine Corps Issued 1903 (A1) Springfields back in the 1930's-early 1940's, commonly called the "Hatcher Hole" on the left side of the receiver almost exactly like that SKS pictured above except farther back from the chamber.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Are these Yugo's?

Yep they were $199.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
What the fuck?  

This.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk35/ironrangerpt/P2050005.jpg

The Fuck is that?

I'm looking at my Yugo 59/66 SKS and it looks like that hole would be fully exposed if the stock was installed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#45]
So not only did they not get the 3 round burst mode, they got the no round mode?  
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Inspection port.

There you go again, being all logical 'n' stuff.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I got this call last night also.  Guys on my local board thought I was messing around, or someone was messing with me.  The original caller told me get the rifle back ASAP.  what he should of said, was look for the dam hole, if you have one, take it back to the store.  My cabelas is about 70 miles one way from me.  So I called the store, the guy in the gun counter told me what to look for and all is well with my gun.  I have put about 200 rounds through it and all is fine.

They need to have the facts when they make these phone calls.  Not some pencil pusher who has never handled a gun making the calls.

If I owned Cabela's I'd do the same thing they did. I would want someone from the store to personally inspect any suspect gun because most people are too stupid to be trusted to do it correctly on their own.

"I tried to follow their confusing instructions on how to check if my gun was broken or not and I thought it was ok but I blew my hand off and now I want seventy trillion dollars!!!!"

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Inspection port.

There you go again, being all logical 'n' stuff.

Pack enough Cosmoline into that hole and I bet it would function fine for  a few hundred rounds before the Cosmoline needed to be replaced.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to US standards, but could be for other countries...

Could it be that someone built these with what were intended to be demilled and trashed barrels?

eta: nevermind, I see you referred to that in a later post.

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Time to ban SKSes - FOR TEH CHILDRENZ!

This is really going to cut into the desire of importers to import, or of gun stores to want to stock milsurps if lawsuits start flying.  That's probably why they all come with lawyer papers saying "have inspected" and the like, but this may still end up bad.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top