Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2012 5:43:59 AM EDT
Got a call last night (caller-id came up as unknown), turned out to be from Cabela's asking for me by name.

They were tracking down some 'recent' gun sales (in my case bought last January - so this is going back at least 12 months), asking not to fire the weapon or even load a round, and to bring it back to the store as soon as possible for inspection (store is an hours drive each way).

She claimed one vendor had 'recently' supplied them with De-militarized guns without them knowing, and attempting to fire it could be 'dangerous'. She said I should also be getting a letter from them in the mail.

I've tried google and can't find anything about this anywhere. Anyone else heard anything about this?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Got a call last night (caller-id came up as unknown), turned out to be from Cabela's asking for me by name.

They were tracking down some 'recent' gun sales (in my case bought last January - so this is going back at least 12 months), asking not to fire the weapon or even load a round, and to bring it back to the store as soon as possible for inspection (store is an hours drive each way).

She claimed one vendor had 'recently' supplied them with De-militarized guns without them knowing, and attempting to fire it could be 'dangerous'. She said I should also be getting a letter from them in the mail.

I've tried google and can't find anything about this anywhere. Anyone else heard anything about this?

Sounds hinky
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Hide your dog.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 5:50:01 AM EDT
[#3]
So what kind of gun are we talking about?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#4]
It sounded hinky to me too, especially when I couldn't find anything on google. I'm waiting for the letter before i do anything.

Gun in question was a Yugo SKS they had on sale a year ago...
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Yugoslav SKS?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 5:53:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yugoslav SKS?

Yep, you heard anything?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 5:53:50 AM EDT
[#7]
It's goon squad time. If the gun shoots ignore her.

A lot of folks did not clean them off of cosmo and blew them up.

It's also Texas, did ja buy two? Maybee they don't have your paper work in order for the gun walker registration.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 5:55:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yugoslav SKS?

Yep, you heard anything?

Probably executive paranoia regarding the unsprung firing pin and soft commercial primers.  A 'problem' inherent to all SKS rifles except for very early (mid 1950 or earlier) Soviet guns that were indeed fitted with a spring.

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 6:05:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't sound suspicious, just potentially stupid.  Or there's a real problem with the gun.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 6:14:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No, but did she sound hot?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Just got a call now about an SKS I bought.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I like where Dex is going with this, Did she sound hot? Did you ask her any questions relating to how hot she might be?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like where Dex is going with this, Did she sound hot? Did you ask her any questions relating to how hot she might be?

Nope...old lady voice....she got to the part about not shooting the gun and I just said "too late"  I took it out the following week and put a 100 rds thru it to check it out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#14]
At least 1 of their YUGOs were "demilitarized" –– which is to say disabled to be wall hangers.

Whoever did it, did so not by cutting the receiver, but by drilling a hole through the chamber.   Ouch.  

More here:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=98975.msg1195426#msg1195426

Pull your stock off that rifle and inspect it carefully.

Frankly, one should do that with ANY milsurp purchase, not to mention checking headspace.

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
At least 1 of their YUGOs were "demilitarized" –– which is to say disabled to be wall hangers.

Whoever did it, did so not by cutting the receiver, but by drilling a hole through the chamber.   Ouch.  

More here:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=98975.msg1195426#msg1195426

Pull your stock off that rifle and inspect it carefully.

Frankly, one should do that with ANY milsurp purchase, not to mention checking headspace.

He cleaned every inch of the gun and didn't notice the gaping hole in the chamber?

Idiot.
Top Top