BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I do not know the various cooking methods used during the 17th century.

I love pumpkin pie too. I do not like pumpkin spice lattes.

I think of baseball and pumpkin pie because of the month of October. The World Series is played in October and pumpkins and other gords are ready for harvest in/around October.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how'd they bake them - they had no way to make a pie crust

I do not know the various cooking methods used during the 17th century.

personally I love some pumpkin pie... that's not what I think of when I think "American as baseball and some sort of pie"

I love pumpkin pie too. I do not like pumpkin spice lattes.

I think of baseball and pumpkin pie because of the month of October. The World Series is played in October and pumpkins and other gords are ready for harvest in/around October.

not to go too far from boats.... to pumpkins - while pumpkins are most definitely North American - pumpkin pie as we know it seems to be more of a European creation:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/PieHistory/PumpkinPie.htm

I now know more about pie then I've wanted to - I guess thank you for that....
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So you're saying the 22 panic in the US is affecting prices in Russia? What are the laws concerning firearm ownership in Russia, anyhow? Any memories of you best hunting trip? Please be of posting, Mr (?) shoeh8ter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have not shot .22lr in almost three years due to the high cost. However, people are free to make money as long as it is within the law. I sincerely hope they declare the income for tax purposes and are not free-loaders.

So you're saying the 22 panic in the US is affecting prices in Russia? What are the laws concerning firearm ownership in Russia, anyhow? Any memories of you best hunting trip? Please be of posting, Mr (?) shoeh8ter.

I live and am a citizen of the United States of America.

I do not hunt. I have no need.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have not shot .22lr in almost three years due to the high cost. However, people are free to make money as long as it is within the law. I sincerely hope they declare the income for tax purposes and are not free-loaders.

What is your favorite type of shooting activity, Mr(?) shoeh8ter?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
not to go too far from boats.... to pumpkins - while pumpkins are most definitely North American - pumpkin pie as we know it seems to be more of a European creation:

View Quote

That is great research. Thank you Mr.(?) NUCdt04!

What pie is of American origin so that I may used a more correct phrase?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love shooting steel plates. So frustrating when it goes poorly. So satisfying when it goes correctly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I love shooting steel plates. So frustrating when it goes poorly. So satisfying when it goes correctly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At what meter distance do you prefer to shoot steel at? Do you prefer to shoot steel with a Makarov or an advanced AK series?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Back to the main topic as Mr.(?) H46Driver requested. It is too bad the incompetence of the U.S. Navy has reduced the capabilities of the USS Zumwalt. Cost overruns have resulted in the volume search radar being removed and the 57mm guns being replaced with 30mm guns.
http://news.usni.org/2014/08/05/navy-swaps-anti-swarm-boat-guns-ddg-1000s
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/the-us-navys-dual-band-radars-05393/
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What's sad is that Shoe sidetracked the entire thread in a debate over some bullshit pseudo capability that was almost definitely not part of the design criteria nor a likely employment for the platform and many folks followed him down the rabbit hole about something that doesn't matter a lick because they want to "best" him on the internet.
View Quote

Successful troll is successful

Just ban him and be done with it

And INB4 he says I hate freedom
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Too late for that crap. Derail of the thread is complete and the train isn't getting back on the track.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
At what meter distance do you prefer to shoot steel at? Do you prefer to shoot steel with a Makarov or an advanced AK series?
View Quote

I prefer to shoot steel from 10 to 25 yards. In the past I have used Glocks. I like FNP-9s these days.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I prefer to shoot steel from 10 to 25 yards. In the past I have used Glocks. I like FNP-9s these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is you favorite drill? What's your best time? Are you like me and enjoy drinking vodka after the range activities are over?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

First, it is "America."

Second, have the site staff trace my IP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So post something that would prove your presence in Amerika.

First, it is "America."

How many more hops back from thre proxy till your desktop?

I suspect a pathping would look interesting...

Nick
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have not argued tactics with door kickers. I do not possess such expertise and have not offered any tactical advice.

*snipped out the rest*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would like you to show us all here for what reason we should take your word versus people that do these things for a living, and have had success at it (not getting killed is one measure of success, dead bad guys is another).
You argue tactics with door kickers,

I have not argued tactics with door kickers. I do not possess such expertise and have not offered any tactical advice.

*snipped out the rest*

Quoted:
Sloppy tactics.

nope you don't - you do however make assertions with no supporting evidence then not come back to answer to them when questioned...

thread

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What is you favorite drill? What's your best time? Are you like me and enjoy drinking vodka after the range activities are over?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever watched the shooting match known as the Bianchi Cup? In the mid to late 90s there was a cable television show that featured shooting sports. That is where I learned of the competition. In it, there is one stage where they shoot six steel plates as quickly as they can. That is what I like to do. I do not have a shot timer, so I do not keep score. It is enough to shoot it "clean" as quickly as I think possible.

I do not like vodka, and I do not believe in mixing firearms and alcohol.

Can we discuss the failure of the U.S. Navy and the U.S. miliitary's acquisition system that lead to the DDG-1000 class from being thirty-two ships to three ships, three ships with reduced capabilities?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, it is "America."

Nick

Who knows? I do not try to hide from where I post.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Is this the same idea as the Colorado class BBs during the interwar period? Turbo-electric drive?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry shoe, threads dead.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is this the same idea as the Colorado class BBs during the interwar period? Turbo-electric drive?
View Quote

Substitute gas turbine generators for the steam generators of the Colorado-class and the idea is similar, but have different reasons for doing so.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First, it is "America."

Nick

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You're funny, kinda sad too though. But we will take the comedy relief with your "expertise".  

What if doesn't get shit done in the real world and that seems to be all you can do.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if they will be able to provide shore power in an emergency? That would come in handy for natural disasters.

Just what one wants to do in a natural disaster, put power into the grid. Your lack of critical thinking ability makes me sad.
And your posting makes the rest if us laugh. Who said anything about a grid? You could power a tent city refugee center/command post/staging area.  

THe possibilities are endless.

The possibilities are endless, if you are ignorant of ship operations. Where does the ship discharge sewage? It is illegal to discharge in port. Is the disaster-stricken area going to provide sewage services? What about clean water for the ship? It is inadvisable to for the ship's water generation systems to make water in port. Is the disaster-stricken area going to provide clean water for the ship's crew? How about security requirements as the ship is close to many desperate people? How many lights for tent cities run on Zumwalt's 4,160 volt power? If there was a disaster is there even a clear channel for the ship to navigate in?

Lack of criticial thinking ability is an epidemic on this site.
You're funny, kinda sad too though. But we will take the comedy relief with your "expertise".  

What if doesn't get shit done in the real world and that seems to be all you can do.  

Don't feed the trolls.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, it is "America."

Nick

You may laugh all you want. I have posted from the same computer. No attempt has been made to obfuscate my location.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Just out of curiosity, but what would happen everyone just stopped replying to Shoe after this page?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Interesting to hear.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Back to the main topic as Mr.(?) H46Driver requested. It is too bad the incompetence of the U.S. Navy has reduced the capabilities of the USS Zumwalt. Cost overruns have resulted in the volume search radar being removed and the 57mm guns being replaced with 30mm guns.
View Quote

I thoguht you liked 30mm?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like 30mm more than 25mm. Howevever, 57mm is better than 30mm.

Bigger is better, as they say, until you hit a practical limit of space, weight, and ammunition storage.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Have you ever watched the shooting match known as the Bianchi Cup? In the mid to late 90s there was a cable television show that featured shooting sports. That is where I learned of the competition. In it, there is one stage where they shoot six steel plates as quickly as they can. That is what I like to do. I do not have a shot timer, so I do not keep score. It is enough to shoot it "clean" as quickly as I think possible.

Can we discuss the failure of the U.S. Navy and the U.S. miliitary's acquisition system that lead to the DDG-1000 class from being thirty-two ships to three ships, three ships with reduced capabilities?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we can discuss the geographical failings of Russia and China, which result in no peer threats to face, unless you count cyber attacks, Mr (?) shoeh8ter?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Bigger is better, as they say, until you hit a practical limit of space, weight, and ammunition storage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like Tsar Bomba?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So where does smaller bore/higher velocity versus bigger bore/lower velocity stack up?

Because that is the way things are progressing for pretty much all militaries worldwide, as a general trend.

That's all weaponry-from small arms to artillery. Even nukes-smaller, more accurate weapons.

Is everyone doing it wrong, or just the US?

Nick
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just what one wants to do in a natural disaster, put power into the grid. Your lack of critical thinking ability makes me sad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if they will be able to provide shore power in an emergency? That would come in handy for natural disasters.

Pre-WWII aircraft carriers USS Lexington and USS Saratoga were propelled with electric motors.

The USS Lexington provide shore power to Tacoma, WA in 1929-30.

The Lexington’s boilers supplied a quarter of Tacoma’s power for about 30 days, leaving on January 17, 1930.

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&File_Id=5113

I understand the risks of feeding power into a damaged grid, but your lack of historical knowledge still makes me sad.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#31]
One shell through the hull and one electric grig running everything.. what could go wrong?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, it is "America."

Nick

So where are you posting from ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So where does smaller bore/higher velocity versus bigger bore/lower velocity stack up?
Because that is the way things are progressing for pretty much all militaries worldwide, as a general trend.
That's all weaponry-from small arms to artillery. Even nukes-smaller, more accurate weapons.

Nick
View Quote

Mr.(?) Nick, I see you are changing our discussion, again. Run into a brick wall, did you? Keep plugging. I'm sure you will yet best me.

The great thing about larger bores is you can use sabots to make smaller and higher velocity projectiles as is done with the 120mm Rhienmetal smoothbore that equips the M1 Abrams tank.

Would you prefer to be armed with .45 Automatic Colt Pistol or 5.7x28? Personally, I prefer a good .45 automatic by my side. Of course, 9mm is cheaper for shooting plates!

As for your, "way things are progressing." This is false. Infantry Fighting Vehicles are mounting larger guns than they did 30  years ago. Artillery has averaged out to around 155mm, but weight, size, and ammunition storage are onsiderations, as I have discussed earlier. There is little to no movement back to 105mm or to 75mm pack howitzers. Likewise, tank guns are holding at the 120mm-130mm range for those reasons I mentioned. Naval guns appear to be in the 105mm to 130mm range with space and weight being a primary factor. Just look at USS Zumwalt and how big it is to accommodate 155mm guns! Smaller guns are used, again, when weight, size, and ammunition storage are considerations.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, it is "America."

Nick

The United States of America, of course!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Voltage would be one issue, synchronizing it would be the other.  That with gas turbine prime mover would not be impossible but would also not be organic.
View Quote

Its referred to as "Dark Start".
There is no power to sync to, since the grid is dead.  Shipboard power is used to restart a local power plant and then the local grid is brought up, and the ship disconnects.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where were you born?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Where were you born?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where were you born?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Mr.(?) Nick, I see you are changing our discussion, again. Run into a brick wall, did you? Keep plugging. I'm sure you will yet best me.

The great thing about larger bores is you can use sabots to make smaller and higher velocity projectiles as is done with the 120mm Rhienmetal smoothbore that equips the M1 Abrams tank.

Would you prefer to be armed with .45 Automatic Colt Pistol or 5.7x28? Personally, I prefer a good .45 automatic by my side. Of course, 9mm is cheaper for shooting plates!

As for your, "way things are progressing." This is false. Infantry Fighting Vehicles are mounting larger guns than they did 30 years ago. Artillery has averaged out to around 155mm, but weight, size, and ammunition storage are onsiderations, as I have discussed earlier. There is little to no movement back to 105mm or to 75mm pack howitzers. Likewise, tank guns are holding at the 120mm-130mm range for those reasons I mentioned. Naval guns appear to be in the 105mm to 130mm range with space and weight being a primary factor. Just look at USS Zumwalt and how big it is to accommodate 155mm guns! Smaller guns are used, again, when weight, size, and ammunition storage are considerations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nick

As for your, "way things are progressing." This is false. Infantry Fighting Vehicles are mounting larger guns than they did 30 years ago. Artillery has averaged out to around 155mm, but weight, size, and ammunition storage are onsiderations, as I have discussed earlier. There is little to no movement back to 105mm or to 75mm pack howitzers. Likewise, tank guns are holding at the 120mm-130mm range for those reasons I mentioned. Naval guns appear to be in the 105mm to 130mm range with space and weight being a primary factor. Just look at USS Zumwalt and how big it is to accommodate 155mm guns! Smaller guns are used, again, when weight, size, and ammunition storage are considerations.

Not changing-serious consideration.

When's the last time you saw any tank or IFV mounting a 152?

When's the last time you saw any infantry using anything in 7.62?

If you think that was changing the discussion, perhaps you need to pay closer attention.

Nick
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not changing-serious consideration.
When's the last time you saw any tank or IFV mounting a 152?
When's the last time you saw any infantry using anything in 7.62?
If you think that was changing the discussion, perhaps you need to pay closer attention.

Nick
View Quote

In those instances, Mr.(?)Nick, space, weight, and ammunition storage are considerations. You are trying to hard, Mr.(?) Nick.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where were you born?

Doubt it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Doubt it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where were you born?

Doubt it.

Doubt what you will.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Are you saying USS Iwo Jima broke federal laws by dumping sewage in the water?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One problem with your line of "logic",  reality.   When I was on the Iwo Jima in New Orleans for the relief efforts, we were moored downtown.   Place was a mess.  We did everything you say should not or cannot be done.

What makes you think we dumped sewage in the water?  And yes, we did provide shore power.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Switch to 30mm is a win in my book.  Direct fire is better for the intended target set.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What makes you think we dumped sewage in the water?  And yes, we did provide shore power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One problem with your line of "logic",  reality.   When I was on the Iwo Jima in New Orleans for the relief efforts, we were moored downtown.   Place was a mess.  We did everything you say should not or cannot be done.

You said, "We did everything you say should not or cannot be done." I said that the U.S. Navy would not dump sewage in port. Your statement, therefore, indicates you did.

You provided power to the shore? Doubtful. How was this accomplished? Portable generators powering small areas? That I could see. Ship's generators powering the city's grid, let us just say this is not 1947 anymore.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You said, "We did everything you say should not or cannot be done." I said that the U.S. Navy would not dump sewage in port. Your statement, therefore, indicates you did.

You provided power to the shore? Doubtful. How was this accomplished? Portable generators powering small areas? That I could see. Ship's generators powering the city's grid, let us just say this is not 1947 anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't think anyone said to power the grid.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#46]
There is no migration to 155 in the US or world wide; 105mm and 122mm are probably closer to a universal caliber than 152-155
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

That has been the entire point of the last four pages of discussion.

The first response in this thread was:
"I wonder if they will be able to provide shore power in an emergency? That would come in handy for natural disasters."

Considering the title of this thread is "Navy Lights Off Zumwalt Generators" "they" can only mean the shipboard generators of the USS Zumwalt.

Do try to keep up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There is no migration to 155 in the US or world wide; 105mm and 122mm are probably closer to a universal caliber than 152-155
View Quote

There is no migration to lesser calibres as Mr.(?) Nick claimed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some units did move from 175mm and 8" to 155; while some traded those for MFOM systems
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

"I wonder if they will be able to provide shore power in an emergency? That would come in handy for natural disasters."

Considering the title of this thread is "Navy Lights Off Zumwalt Generators" "they" can only mean the shipboard generators of the USS Zumwalt.

Do try to keep up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do try to keep up.

Shore power doesn't mean the grid. You can run temporary power.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top