BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TBK, yer pretty quick to believe one poster providing unproven evidence to support your stance.  In any other instance, you would be the first to point out that you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

No disrespect meant by that statement, just an observation.

That's true--but I do have a foggy recollection of the thread long ago and I recall a similar course of events in that thread--and being at least somewhat vindicated in the end.  

My only point throughout this thread has been to point out we need (IMO) to stick together rather than condemning someone who acts in a legal manner, but in a way we find personally distasteful.  

Very true.  Point well taken.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I wish the lion had mauled all of their asses.

<-- animal lover.

don't kill an animal unless you need the meat.

I will if I want to.
Never shot a coyote or a ground squirrel?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How many people actually survive a charge be a wild male lion, who is used to killing game animals?

Don't Lionesses do 99.9% of the hunting for the Pride?

His charge looked like he was expecting to FIGHT!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My only point throughout this thread has been to point out we need (IMO) to stick together rather than condemning someone who acts in a legal manner, but in a way we find personally distasteful.  

Anyone who doesn't agree with that doesn't understand the strategy of anti-gunners and anti-hunters.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You have proof that was shot in TX?
If not, shut yoru pie hole. There was alot of debate over that video and it boils down to this;
1. Nobody knows for sure were that video was shot.
2. THe PH in the video should have had his lic taken away as he is responsible for everyone in the group.
3. From teh video there is NO way to tell if its canned or not. Africa is filled with fences, many to keep cats OUT.
4. It could have been a cull hunt in which case maybe that lion was in a fenced area he was not supposed to be.
5. Wishing that an animal were to have "ripped everyone of them to shreds" based on ZERO facts or only the video is weak and shows your shallow perception of life.

You can whine all you want but at the end of the day if it were not for the trophy hunter in africa, there would be a handlful more animals on the extinct list.
If you dont know the facts, dont spread rumors!
CH

Ding! Ding! Ding!

It is the American, British and other hunters who have the money to go to Africa and spend money that has saved the Elephant, Rhino and many others from extintion.  Without the money hunters spend most African nations would not be able to hire Wardens to protect the animals and stop many (not all) poachers.

Again it is hunters who are the true animal lovers and do more good for the animals with thier actions than the "animal rights" people could ever think about doing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've spent months in Africa, Cape Hunter...have you?

Before you hop on your holier than thou saop box, try to understand that you know NOTHING about me or my range of experience. Ever see a sun rise from the top of Kilimanjaro? Ever hike hundreds of miles along the Great Rift Valley? Ever wake up in a tent in the Serengeti to see lions stalking 30 feet away? Seem a man have a Cape Buffalo horn pushed through his chest cavity and dragged 50 yards through a forrest while attached to the horn? Stop me when you can produce a "yes" to any of this, mmmmm k?

I know why herds are culled in Africa and the benefits to it. Trophy hunters make me SICK, they do NOT hunt because they care for the health of game populations...and it's a well founded disgust in my experience. Pure ego driven bullshit...but that's just my opinion.

You do not know why trophy hunters hunt and you should not generalize.  Some may do it for the wrong reasons and some may do it for other more "right" reasons.  You do not know.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That's true--but I do have a foggy recollection of the thread long ago and I recall a similar course of events in that thread  

Wait a minute......DUPE.

IBTL

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#8]
As any avid hunter, I find it comforting to know that there are animals out there that consider humans something easier to catch than a rabbit and a lot more filling.
Do large predators think we taste like chicken?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Trophy hunters need to be shot, not the lions.

Piss Off!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Never heard of the guy...though the name sounds familiar.

Never heard of Peter Capstick? Wow!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hunt deer, hogs, rabbits. . . . . . . things I kill and eat.

There is something inherently wrong about 5 guys with high powered rifles hunting a lion just to put his head on the wall.

Call me a PETA-puffer, I'm far from it.

There's just something wrong about that shit.

that's what I meant in the beginning.

I agree as well...

I doubt he's going to bring lion home for dinner
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

There is something inherently wrong about 5 guys with high powered rifles hunting a lion just to put his head on the wall.

OK you are a Peta-Puffer!
God put animals on the earth and gave man dominion over them.  End of discussion.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

God put animals on the earth and gave man dominion over them.  End of discussion.

you're right...

and we've done such a fine job taking care of our responsibility
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

My posts have not attacked, called names, or belittled anyone.  I used the "lol" smilie to indicate my amusement over the hand-wringing and twisted panties over something completely nonexistent in this thread and video link.  If you don't care for "trophy hunting" (by whatever definition suits your agenda) that is fine--but what on earth is there to gain by condemning those who choose to participate in the practice?  THAT is my point.  

Calling something "wrong" when it is legal and ethical in every way is just foisting one's bullshit opinion onto others.  Please show where I have forced my opinion on anyone in this thread.  I have posted numerous times, so please quote the post(s) where my opinion has been forced on anyone.  

Well Mr. Diplomacy, if referring to my opinion as an "agenda" and foisting a "bullshit opinion", you should expect the initial transparancy of your smiley laden posts to be rather obvious. There is no more of an "agenda" in my posts than there are in yours. Your failure to see THAT is an issue you'll need to take up with yourself.

I expressed an opinion. I'm not lobbying to have any form of hunting eradicated, I never called any legal activity illegal, and I expressed the over all virtues of the end result of trophy hunting. My criticism was within MY experiences alone, and frankly YOU'RE in no position what so ever to challenge THAT in any form, kapeesh? If you choose to cling to a percieved negative, and brand it as an "agenda" to bolster your point, that's where we part ways, brother.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I heard it was a hunter from Texas who killed the lion in Africa. The lion was causing problems to people/livestock or something and it was killed for that reason.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

you're right...

and we've done such a fine job taking care of our responsibility

I did not say humans have done a good job taking care of animals.  I do believe hunters in general and trophy hunters in particular have done a lot for the overall welfare of animals.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone who doesn't agree with that doesn't understand the strategy of anti-gunners and anti-hunters.

I agree with it fully, despite this "agenda" BTK loves slapping on people whose opinion differs. It would be fun though if he could continue on the holier-than-thou tirade though, and have an iota of fuel to do so....sorry BTK.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#19]
A friend emailed this video to me a coupla days ago. I wondered how long it'd be until there was a thread about it here.

Personally, when I watched it, I was rather impressed with the PH. He was very cool and calm and maintained verbal control over his hunter. But as the video progressed, my opinion changed. The PH was too close to the lion for too long.

Secondly, and as someone already mentioned, the PH should have fired as soon as it was apparent that his hunters shot had not been fatal. By not doing so, he endangered the whole group.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've spent months in Africa, Cape Hunter...have you?

Before you hop on your holier than thou saop box, try to understand that you know NOTHING about me or my range of experience. Ever see a sun rise from the top of Kilimanjaro? Ever hike hundreds of miles along the Great Rift Valley? Ever wake up in a tent in the Serengeti to see lions stalking 30 feet away? Seem a man have a Cape Buffalo horn pushed through his chest cavity and dragged 50 yards through a forrest while attached to the horn? Stop me when you can produce a "yes" to any of this, mmmmm k?

I know why herds are culled in Africa and the benefits to it. Trophy hunters make me SICK, they do NOT hunt because they care for the health of game populations...and it's a well founded disgust in my experience. Pure ego driven bullshit...but that's just my opinion.

You do not know why trophy hunters hunt and you should not generalize.  Some may do it for the wrong reasons and some may do it for other more "right" reasons.  You do not know.

I said all along my opion was with MY OWN EXPERIENCES. Not trophy hunting in general.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#22]
This thread proves that ASSUMPTIONS, make a lot of ASSES.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMHO, that's not the intent of the verse.  I believe the intent carries with it a sense of responsibility and concern for the overall welfare as well as using animals for sustenance and warmth and clothing and medicinal purposes.  I think your interpretation is a bit too simplistic.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#24]
- And off we go again.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#25]
This thread should probably just be locked.  Unfortunately we have all (myself included) contributed to its degredation.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Right ON!   I knew this thread would go to shit!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#29]
fuck those guys in the video, I would have loved to see that lion rip everyone of them to shreds. Such a magnificent and amazing creature...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#30]
IBTL, I guess.  Since I like cats of any sort, and think that someone would hunt them for "sport" is a real POS, I'm disapointed that the cat did not get to rip out anyones guts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TBK, yer pretty quick to believe one poster providing unproven evidence to support your stance.  In any other instance, you would be the first to point out that you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

No disrespect meant by that statement, just an observation.

That's true--but I do have a foggy recollection of the thread long ago and I recall a similar course of events in that thread--and being at least somewhat vindicated in the end.  

Edit:  I tried to find it in the Archive server but no luck--using "lion" as the key word.  I found another thread looking for the video, but it had little discussion.  

the thread is on the archive server search on "lion hunt" the problem is it has a link to an old hunting board that has been upgraded so the link with the full story is not available

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Some of you might want to read the thread before you rehash the same stuff.  

I understand...I read the thread.

Despite attempts to remain as open as possible...I find it hard to agree with canned hunts.

Trophy hunts are yet another grey area.  I could care less what the trophy hunter's motives are (odds are he isn't hunting due to ecological concern...hubris and 60 grand are what he has).

African reserves need income to support their efforts and trophy hunting may have been necessary at one time.  Privitization of these trophy hunts does nothing to help the African economy and most definitely takes needed moneys from government subsidized animal reserves.

Money can be made through increased awareness of Africa's large and threatened species.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Read it again <Personal attack removed>, I said "IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY".

Straight now genius? Good.

The word removed was "fucknuts" IIRC.  You definitively state it was "a canned hunt."  You apparently were wrong in every aspect of the post, but that didn't stop you from vicious name-calling and attacking the other poster.  But you have no agenda.  Mmmkay.

My agenda is simply to see hunters and firearms enthusiasts to stick together rather than attacking one another.  I do not apologize for that.

Ok....listen, in my world, you just dove off the friggin deep end.

If you actually, sincerely think calling someone "fucknuts" constitutes a vicious name calling.....LOL.....you and I come from 2 very different places. That would register a solid zero on my give-o-shit meter on any day of the week. But I see where branding it as vicious name calling, again exclusively serves your goals here. Laughable, really.

If I can't express an opinion, here, on ARFCOM, among like minded individuals, in a subject that I <gasp!> stray from popular opinion, where exactly would that opinion be best expressed? Or shouldn't it be expressed at all, BTK?

Like yourself, I too want to see firearms enthusiasts and hunters stick together, but don't get pouty when we all don't fall in a nice, orderly single file line behind a single opinion on EVERY subject. We're individuals, in a free country. Try to find room for that without branding it an "agenda"....it sounds terribly fascist...and we wouldn't want that, would we?

If a guy like me can't find room to express a differing opinion here, on a single subject related to firearms use, when I agree with 99% of the rest, where would that opinion be best expressed? Lighten up man, really. There were no "attacks"....get off the high horse...this conversation doesn't require that sort of "twist" which serves as devisive as any you accuse of. Look at the shiney side of the mirror for a change.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I said all along my opion was with MY OWN EXPERIENCES. Not trophy hunting in general.

From page two--

Quoted:

It's just my opinion, but that sure sounds like an opinion regarding "trophy hunting in general."  

Do I need a disclaimer EVERY time the subject comes up? You keep picking and choosing BTK.....it fits you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Yes, but if sufficent numbers find it distasteful, they can band together to make it illegal.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah that guy had no business being out there hunting.  I would have like to see the cat a least get a piece of him before he went down.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Despite attempts to remain as open as possible...I find it hard to agree with canned hunts.

That's okay.  You aren't required to "agree with canned hunts."  They are legal, many consider them to be ethical, and that is really all that matters.  I don't agree with tanning bed use, but I don't give a crap about people who use them.  Live and let live.  

Trophy hunts are yet another grey area.  I could care less what the trophy hunter's motives are (odds are he isn't hunting due to ecological concern...hubris and 60 grand are what he has).

African reserves need income to support their efforts and trophy hunting may have been necessary at one time.  Privitization of these trophy hunts does nothing to help the African economy and most definitely takes needed moneys from government subsidized animal reserves.

You are simply WRONG about your claim of "does noting to help the African economy."  ANY money added to an economy helps it.  That's simple capitalism.  As to your claim trophy hunting "most definitely takes needed moneys from government subsidized animal reserves."--what on earth is your basis for claiming that  You forgot PRIVITIZATION of said trophy hunts.   One has nothing to do with the other.  They coexist in various areas and it's not as though most African governments have tons of money for reserves.  Trophy fees (paid to the government over and above the outfitter fees) are mostly what fund the reserves and conservation efforts--the same as hunting license fees in this country.    

Money can be made through increased awareness of Africa's large and threatened species.  
 i.e. increased tourism through non-hunting safaris, donations,etc.  Did this really need explanation?

Huh?  WhatchewtalkinaboutWillis?  

read it once more without changing it, snipping choice words.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
fuck those guys in the video, I would have loved to see that lion rip everyone of them to shreds. Such a magnificent and amazing creature...

amazing that some choose to kill what most find majestic...not to mention that as a species it isn't exactly thriving (poaching and the consequent genetic bottlenecks)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#41]
I am not hunting anymore
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the thread is on the archive server search on "lion hunt" the problem is it has a link to an old hunting board that has been upgraded so the link with the full story is not available

I tried again using "lion hunt" but only got three hits--two about mountain lion hunting and the one I referenced above--which only had four posts.  I recall a thread similar to this one--lots of arguing and quite a few pages.  Dunno why it doesn't come up.  

Could you please post a link to what you are getting?  TIA

you have to do a search for last 2 years instead of just one

http://archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=220953

its slightly over  a year old

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
snip/You guys are so quick to slam a hunter for any type of hunt./snip

I don't dissapprove of hunting.  I don't care for the hunting of threatened species for the sole purpose of putting heads on a wall.

Elephant hunting is "regulated" as well...when's the last time any of you ate elephant? or lion? or rhino?  

When hunts like these become privatized affairs (and they have/will because it IS capitalism just like TBK said) how much of the gross profit is the African government likely to see?  Only what's reported...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
You guys are so quick to slam a hunter for any type of hunt,  but you dont think twice about going down to the store and buy meat that was taken by your hired assassin who you paid to give you your food.

Are you honestly going to compare buying dead livestock raised in the millions for slaughter to the hunting of a heavily pressured, wild, predatory cat?  Seriously, are you?

I don't have any beef with hunting of any kind other than I don't see the joy in shooting a penned-up animal for nothing more than a mount.  I have no problem with it under heavy regulation to keep it from killing off a species.  But to say that to be opposed to this you must also oppose a slaughterhouse and eating dead cows?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
read it once more without changing it, snipping choice words.

I didn't snip any of your words in that post.   privatization...but you mention it below

The privately conducted hunts generate revenue for the owner of the land (it may be leased from the government--dunno), but also for the government itself and the locals who are hired to do much of the work.  I can't claim to have a great deal of knowledge about African economies (and I'm sure situations vary from country to country), but I do have a passing knowledge of such things from reading.  I'm an avid hunter, but I do not have the means or desire to hunt in Africa--though I have a passing interest in same.  

In the U.S. profits and losses are under/over reported regularly for various reasons.  And we live in a country where  such reports are closely scrutinized by various government agencies

Considering that our watchdogs miss on occassion, even with all their funding and available resources...

How good a job is the African government going to do?  I'm no African political or economic guru, but their government isn't what ours is.  A private safari could and probably does get away with murder there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#47]
It's amazing that someone can post about poaching a cottontail rabbit and get high praise, even post about poaching one then blowing it up with tannerite and get high praise.  But if someone legally hunts a different animal, it's a huge deal and they should be killed.
Legal hunting = good
Poaching = bad
Mmmkay?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Well Oly,  again you could be right, but I have to ask, what other thing scratched him during the attack?  He's right there on video, what got him? You said "far fewer" wiggle out.  Well, I just saw the man side-step the attack at the last moment and the creature wasn't trotting.  We can't run very fast true enough, but we are not utterly helpless creatures that move only at the speed of slugs.  Part of being scared shitless is the perception of time moving slowly which makes it easier to gauge that moment to act.  We have a lot of instinctual devices in place that are far better adapted to this situation than driving home at rush-hour.  They are there with good reason.

I just don't see what you do that makes it diffinative this was both a captive-raised, and declawed lion.  Not that it isn't possible, but I don't see it as pat-fact is all I'm saying.

Again

Hunting, the hunter must find, or wait for an animal to get within his range. After hours or days it's possible that no animal comes within range. The animal is free to escape from the hunter. Success is not guaranteed.

What we saw was a captive animal, that had no chance to escape, and who was going to be killed, either by the hunter or the guide(s).

It is not HUNTING, it was the KILLING of a captive animal.

Hunting requires, skill, patience, someteimes luck.

Many can kill, few can hunt.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#49]
care to post last census numbers on the cottontail rabbit

vs.

say lions?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top