BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Come on.  It's much more intelligent and logical to believe in supernatural spirits that we can't see or touch or find any practical evidence of.  Or even that there was a Jew who walked the earth 2000 years ago for about 33 years who actually was a god and saved the world, even though the world appears no more saved now then when Greeks and Persians conquered all.   At least Atheists don't believe in more than one god, that has got to be the worst, those 1 Billion Hindus.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fucking retarded.
Come on.  It's much more intelligent and logical to believe in supernatural spirits that we can't see or touch or find any practical evidence of.  Or even that there was a Jew who walked the earth 2000 years ago for about 33 years who actually was a god and saved the world, even though the world appears no more saved now then when Greeks and Persians conquered all.   At least Atheists don't believe in more than one god, that has got to be the worst, those 1 Billion Hindus.    

I was calling his hatefulness retarded, not his faith.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Cherry picking divisive quotes when there are so many other quotes about Jesus' love? Pulling them out of context like that? You bet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fool says in his heart there is no God.

Pushing those kinds of quotes does the devil's work for him. Pounding on the wedge between people and Jesus.

Y'all do realize that that's what saying hurtful and insulting things to atheists is, right? Satan putting evil, self righteous words in your mouth to keep you from leading stray sheep back to the fold. He pays you for it by giving you that warm, superior, smug feeling. That's the devil's currency.

quoting the Bible does the devils work for him?

Cherry picking divisive quotes when there are so many other quotes about Jesus' love? Pulling them out of context like that? You bet.

Sounds like an atheist
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Most of the cherry picking comes from the side trying to find those few isolated instances of love amidst all the oppression and murder that makes up the bulk of the book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the cherry picking comes from the side trying to find those few isolated instances of love amidst all the oppression and murder that makes up the bulk of the book.

Nothing wrong with that kind of cherry picking. Times were dark back then in the middle east, the OT reflects that. But the NT is lovely. Jesus is awesome.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sounds like an atheist
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pushing those kinds of quotes does the devil's work for him. Pounding on the wedge between people and Jesus.

Y'all do realize that that's what saying hurtful and insulting things to atheists is, right? Satan putting evil, self righteous words in your mouth to keep you from leading stray sheep back to the fold. He pays you for it by giving you that warm, superior, smug feeling. That's the devil's currency.

Sounds like an atheist

Exactly. The hateful, smug Christian and the caustic, pedantic atheist are hand in hand driving people away from Jesus.

They're both obnoxious, but the negative Christian reaps more souls for the horned one, I figure. Because most questioners ignore unpleasant disputatious atheists.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bet a lot of atheists would be praying if they were facing death from Ebola.
View Quote

Atheists would put their faith in science, medicine, & that which can be reproduced under controlled conditions over miracles every time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Good
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Everyone knows that you can be cured of Ebola here in America because God left Africa a long time ago.
View Quote

Damn!   Thats wrong!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Atheists would put their faith in science, medicine, & that which can be reproduced under controlled conditions over miracles every time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe atheists believe that tin foil and monkey poop make cars run.

Atheism is simply not believing in god(s).  It has NOTHING to do with believing in science or logic.  That's a separate issue.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lysenkoism

What's really ironic about that is the father of modern genetics was a Catholic monk.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sounds like an atheist
View Quote
Henceforth everything you post is considered a joke.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Atheism is simply not believing in god(s).  It has NOTHING to do with believing in science or logic.  That's a separate issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you stopped reading before the part about miracles, probably so you could get in your poop reference.

Wouldn't want to miss an opportunity for scatological references in an intelligent discussion, right ?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think you stopped reading before the part about miracles, probably so you could get in your poop reference.

Wouldn't want to miss an opportunity for scatological references in an intelligent discussion, right ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regardless.  Suggesting that atheists are all big fans of science is nonsense.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do you believe God already knows what will happen in your life and your fate before you were born?

If so, then how can you influence him, for he knows what will happen, when it will happen, and how it will happen.  If he knows what you will do before you do it, then your actions, thoughts, or behavior shall have no new effect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We aren't supposed to know, just accept and believe.

It seems pretty simple to me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

So why believe in something you cannot understand, cannot influence, cannot measure or predict, and does not provide any consistent or comprehensible response?

Believing because you are supposed to sounds like the logic used by knee-jerk Obama followers who don't question the inconsistencies and problems in front of their faces.

Who says you cannot influence God? Who says we dont understand, if you mean fully 100% then there is another argument to be made, comprehensible to whom?

Do you believe God already knows what will happen in your life and your fate before you were born?

If so, then how can you influence him, for he knows what will happen, when it will happen, and how it will happen.  If he knows what you will do before you do it, then your actions, thoughts, or behavior shall have no new effect.

Simple answer Im not sure I believe He does. This leads into predestination etc. There are good arguments for and against. It also leads to is God "all knowing" which I believe for the most part He is.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:...  ebola nurse credits prayer for her recovery  
View Quote

Who does she think gave her Ebola?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Simple answer Im not sure I believe He does. This leads into predestination etc. There are good arguments for and against. It also leads to is God "all knowing" which I believe for the most part He is.
View Quote

God has to be all-knowing. It's why he can make prophecies about events thousands of years into the future, which are to unfold exactly as god promises. If there were things that are hidden from his sight, the accumulation of these unforeseeable factors would throw a wrench into the gears and events wouldn't come to pass as predicted. Prophecy fulfilled becomes predestination. There are no "what if's...?" in god's plans.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suggested that Atheists would put their faith in something other than blind faith when another member said they would turn to religion under dire circumstances.

I will stick by what I said, feel free to continue not reading complete sentences, making poop references, & hating science like the good Shepard has programmed you to do.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I suggested that Atheists would put their faith in something other than blind faith when another member said they would turn to religion under dire circumstances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  You said quite specifically that Atheists would put their faith in science.  You were quite specific.  And what you said is not necessarily true.

I will stick by what I said, feel free to continue not reading complete sentences, making poop references, & hating science like the good Shepard has programmed you to do.

But I'm an atheist, and what you said was illogical, and not based on science.

Your overly emotional response is that of an irrational reactionary.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

"A little knowledge drive a man away from God...A little more knowledge brings a man back to God..." Sir Francis Bacon
View Quote

I'm keeping that one.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Calling atheism a religion is an attempt to level the playing field, a feeble one - but an attempt none-the-less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand why people cant stand the blowhards , on either side of the argument , but to call it a religion makes no sense . I dont see it being labeled a religion in my day to day goings-on , anywhere but here . Is it ? (honest question )

Calling atheism a religion is an attempt to level the playing field, a feeble one - but an attempt none-the-less.
Everybody who says that is either trolling or didn't recognize the trolling for what it is and decided to spread the message.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Some dude from Africa.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol...that right there is exactly what you are doing.....just the other side of the coin.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And this.

I doubt this woman became a nurse because she doesn't think medicine is good for anything.

Except for a few flavors of religion, most religious folk believe in modern medicine and will do both things—pray AND see a doctor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tough sh*t for them then.  She believed and it worked for her.  That's all that counts.

I would agree.

What I would have a problem with is this kind of belief leading to her telling others not to listen to medical advice, and instead pray disease away.

and before anyone tells me that's bs, nobody here would do that - yes, they do, and i hear it at least once a year.

As a Christian, I have never understood that belief structure.

I would take advantage of any medical advances God provided us with the ability to discover.

And this.

I doubt this woman became a nurse because she doesn't think medicine is good for anything.

Except for a few flavors of religion, most religious folk believe in modern medicine and will do both things—pray AND see a doctor.

and that's fine, i fully support that, but when an article appears in which she seems, even just in the title, to give 100% credit to prayer, it can lead dumb people to conclude that prayer is the cure, and reject mediciine.

NEVER underestimate the capacity for human stupidity. And there will be plenty MORE stupidity than usual with panic over a disease that is terrifying and lethal.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

and that's fine, i fully support that, but when an article appears in which she seems, even just in the title, to give 100% credit to prayer, it can lead dumb people to conclude that prayer is the cure, and reject mediciine.

NEVER underestimate the capacity for human stupidity. And there will be plenty MORE stupidity than usual with panic over a disease that is terrifying and lethal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tough sh*t for them then.  She believed and it worked for her.  That's all that counts.

I would agree.

What I would have a problem with is this kind of belief leading to her telling others not to listen to medical advice, and instead pray disease away.

and before anyone tells me that's bs, nobody here would do that - yes, they do, and i hear it at least once a year.

As a Christian, I have never understood that belief structure.

I would take advantage of any medical advances God provided us with the ability to discover.

And this.

NEVER believe anything a reporter reports.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that falls under never underestimating the capacity for human stupidity, most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We all have doubts.

"Believers" as you put it witness the Gospel, as that is what we are instructed and compelled to do, by the Word of God, not out of a need to be "right".
If you have seen someone claiming to be a "believer" openly mock or ridicule a person without faith, then they aren't doing it the way they are supposed to.

My beliefs are gleaned from scripture, not simply my opinion.
When someone says XXXX is a sin, they are pointing out what Scripture tells them, and SHOULD be doing it in good will, to help, not in judgement.

Openly mocking someone because they cannot prove their beliefs, when you, yourself, cannot DISPROVE theirs, using your methods, is the problem, as I see it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kinda impressed that this discussion has remains civil for as long as it has.
Good job GD.

Except for the "atheists are retards / atheists are the taliban" comments and the highfiving from the flock; they're insults that offend no one but reveal the real feelings of the believers about atheists.

And let's not forget the delicious irony of drone believers slamming atheists for their attitude of "intellectual superiority" and then get off on their own moral superiority. Jesus would have called these people out as "white-washed graves", all pretty in their outward form but rotten inside. Yes, christians your love really shines through with threads and comment like these.

Thats the part I don't get. how dose the lack of belief by others rattle them so badly?

We all have doubts.

"Believers" as you put it witness the Gospel, as that is what we are instructed and compelled to do, by the Word of God, not out of a need to be "right".
If you have seen someone claiming to be a "believer" openly mock or ridicule a person without faith, then they aren't doing it the way they are supposed to.

When someone says XXXX is a sin, they are pointing out what Scripture tells them, and SHOULD be doing it in good will, to help, not in judgement.

Openly mocking someone because they cannot prove their beliefs, when you, yourself, cannot DISPROVE theirs, using your methods, is the problem, as I see it.

Except I have never mocked anyone for having faith EVER, oddly though, I have been called retarded and compared to the Taliban simply for no believing there is a good.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I agree there are good and bad on both sides. I am a Christian and have had pretty decent interaction with several atheists here. I think the common issue is we are all humans and some humans are miserable little wind bags... I am one at times.

I have even had decent dialogue with RMP who openly honors my only enemy on this earth.  

Angry human beings are to blame IMO.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#27]
A lot of atheists are dicks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Except I have never mocked anyone for having faith EVER, oddly though, I have been called retarded and compared to the Taliban simply for no believing there is a good.
View Quote

do you believe that opinion is the opinion of the majority of Christians.....or maybe that of a troll?   I see plenty of myth, sky fairy, sadistic God , invisible sky wizard...etc...etc...so understand...some of the atheists here are just as guilty as the ones they are accusing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A lot of atheists are dicks.
View Quote

As are a lot of (not all) religious folks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Atheists are fucking retards....
View All Quotes

Implying praying to a sky wizard makes one something other than a retard?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

false atheist, you talk like a scientologist hipster & your shit's all dogmatic
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, the old "false atheist" ploy, hmm?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I hope you don't mock the people that believe that the world is controlled by reptilian aliens. Bush, Obama, Putin, all of them are lizard men. You can't disprove it.

Yes these people really exist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Openly mocking someone because they cannot prove their beliefs, when you, yourself, cannot DISPROVE theirs, using your methods, is the problem, as I see it.

I hope you don't mock the people that believe that the world is controlled by reptilian aliens. Bush, Obama, Putin, all of them are lizard men. You can't disprove it.

Yes these people really exist.

Actually, I have way better things to do than mock them, so, yeah.

I might say something is wrong, but mocking/making fun of people is a dick move, even if you feel they are clearly wrong.
Not saying I NEVER have, but I surely don't go out of my way to do it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ummmm, probably the patient she was treating?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kinda impressed that this discussion has remains civil for as long as it has.
Good job GD.

Except for the "atheists are retards / atheists are the taliban" comments and the highfiving from the flock; they're insults that offend no one but reveal the real feelings of the believers about atheists.

And let's not forget the delicious irony of drone believers slamming atheists for their attitude of "intellectual superiority" and then get off on their own moral superiority. Jesus would have called these people out as "white-washed graves", all pretty in their outward form but rotten inside. Yes, christians your love really shines through with threads and comment like these.

Thats the part I don't get. how dose the lack of belief by others rattle them so badly?

We all have doubts.

Forgive me, "you", "your" is easier than the purely general "anyone".
There is much mocking and ridiculing in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I agree there are good and bad on both sides. I am a Christian and have had pretty decent interaction with several atheists here. I think the common issue is we are all humans and some humans are miserable little wind bags... I am one at times.

I have even had decent dialogue with RMP who openly honors my only enemy on this earth.  

Angry human beings are to blame IMO.
View Quote

This.

Some of the openly atheist here seem to be more tolerant/reasonable PEOPLE than some who claim to be of faith.
People suck, even "Christians", because we're all fallible.
All of us have bad days, get in pissy moods, have angry or petty conversations/squabbles.

The point is, if any of you have had such an encounter with a "Christian", they weren't following Scripture.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#37]
It's all fun and games until someone gets smited.

Haters gonna hate.

Why do they care so much? If they get it are they afraid they would have to pray?

News flash to atheists: Believers have the right to believe as much as you have the right not to.  Why do you care?

If you believe science cured her so be it.

But if this nurse believe God cured her... she LITERALLY has the right to believe that!!!

What are you afraid of?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Satan's biggest success is convincing the world he did not exist, it would stand to reason that his second success was to convince the world God didn't either. Consider this when you wonder who in the end an atheist worships.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try getting over it with prayer alone...!
Good luck with that

Quoted:
More proof Atheism is a religion in itself.
Until you get to the point where you try and identify what they are worshiping .....

Satan's biggest success is convincing the world he did not exist, it would stand to reason that his second success was to convince the world God didn't either. Consider this when you wonder who in the end an atheist worships.

Man is made to have a god.  This is neurological fact.  When you look for your god, you'll either look out the window or look in a mirror.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Man is made to have a god.  This is neurological fact.  When you look for your god, you'll either look out the window or look in a mirror.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:27:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

do you believe that opinion is the opinion of the majority of Christians.....or maybe that of a troll?   I see plenty of myth, sky fairy, sadistic God , invisible sky wizard...etc...etc...so understand...some of the atheists here are just as guilty as the ones they are accusing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Important to realize, though, is that it doesn't have to be the opinion of the majority to have an impact. And while the more belligerent atheists may throw out name calling and condescension, nobody has ever driven a car bomb into a crowded market place, strapped SVIEDs to children, or murdered abortion doctors because of a lack of belief in something.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:30:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:31:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's all fun and games until someone gets smited.
Haters gonna hate.

Why do they care so much? If they get it are they afraid they would have to pray?

News flash to atheists: Believers have the right to believe as much as you have the right not to.  Why do you care?

If you believe science cured her so be it.
But if this nurse believe God cured her... she LITERALLY has the right to believe that!!!

What are you afraid of?
View Quote

Not sure afraid is the best adjective, but the answer is the line of thinking it promotes. A line of thinking where we ignore the tangible and the demonstrable in favor of the perceived and the unobservable.

If she in fact credited her recovery to the remarkable work of her doctors, to the brilliance of modern medicine, and the role that her god had in her recovery (and she may have...I saw only the brief twitter blurbs in the article), I'd take no issue with her statement.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:31:46 AM EDT
[#43]
I used to be a praying man.

Granted, god ain't never done anything for me, but I suppose I've never done anything for him, so god and I have a pretty good relationship in that it's equal.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:31:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Important to realize, though, is that it doesn't have to be the opinion of the majority to have an impact. And while the more belligerent atheists may throw out name calling and condescension, nobody has ever driven a car bomb into a crowded market place, strapped SVIEDs to children, or murdered abortion doctors because of a lack of belief in something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

atheist led governments have killed over 100 million in the 20th century alone...so shove that argument up your ass.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:32:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try getting over it with prayer alone...!
Good luck with that

Quoted:
More proof Atheism is a religion in itself.
Until you get to the point where you try and identify what they are worshiping .....

I can certainly think of one PhD Neurologist who would disagree with you...
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:35:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yep, only killed millions with secret police, death squads, and gulags to enforce the lack of belief in God.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: And while the more belligerent atheists may throw out name calling and condescension, nobody has ever driven a car bomb into a crowded market place, strapped SVIEDs to children, or murdered abortion doctors because of a lack of belief in something.

Yep, only killed millions with secret police, death squads, and gulags to enforce the lack of belief in God.

Acts committed by secular governments aren't necessarily committed in the name of secularism. And the atrocities of the Third Reich (to which I assume you're in part referring) had very little, if anything, to do with religion.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:36:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

atheist led governments have killed over 100 million in the 20th century alone...so shove that argument up your ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is, ultimately, wholly irrelevant to the point you'd like up my ass. They didn't kill those people in the name of atheism, as the flip side of the coin does.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:38:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:41:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Once again, prayer and Jesus or God didn't do shit for her. Medical teams did.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:42:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Which isn't to suggest that there aren't deeper root causes to conflicts that are fed by religious extremism, too...there almost universally are. Religion alone is rarely the sole aspect responsible for the atrocities carried out in its name. But it IS the weapon by which those atrocities are made possible. It's the motivating force strong enough to compel people to acts of suicide in its name. And it has throughout history been bastardized to compel millions to violence. In that sense--in its capacity to persuade people into any action imaginable in its name--it stands almost entirely alone in this world.

Secular governments may have (and may continue to) rallied their subjects toward similar unspeakable acts, but "not believing" hasn't been a motivator. Atheism isn't preached in temples to millions in hopes that they'll take up arms to defend its core ideas (of which, there are none).
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top