Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Who says you cannot influence God? Who says we dont understand, if you mean fully 100% then there is another argument to be made, comprehensible to whom?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We aren't supposed to know, just accept and believe.

It seems pretty simple to me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

So why believe in something you cannot understand, cannot influence, cannot measure or predict, and does not provide any consistent or comprehensible response?

Believing because you are supposed to sounds like the logic used by knee-jerk Obama followers who don't question the inconsistencies and problems in front of their faces.

Who says you cannot influence God? Who says we dont understand, if you mean fully 100% then there is another argument to be made, comprehensible to whom?

Do you believe God already knows what will happen in your life and your fate before you were born?

If so, then how can you influence him, for he knows what will happen, when it will happen, and how it will happen.  If he knows what you will do before you do it, then your actions, thoughts, or behavior shall have no new effect.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My blind faith ends up with trying to following the 10 Commandments.  It makes the world a better place.  Obama supporters' blind faith ends in a gulag archipelago.
View Quote

Obama's supporters also believe his policies will create a better country and better world.

You may disagree, but that is a matter of opinion regarding anticipated results, not an analysis of how your blind faith is logically different than their blind faith.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Except for the "atheists are retards / atheists are the taliban" comments and the highfiving from the flock; they're insults that offend no one but reveal the real feelings of the believers about atheists.

And let's not forget the delicious irony of drone believers slamming atheists for their attitude of "intellectual superiority" and then get off on their own moral superiority. Jesus would have called these people out as "white-washed graves", all pretty in their outward form but rotten inside. Yes, christians your love really shines through with threads and comment like these.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kinda impressed that this discussion has remains civil for as long as it has.
Good job GD.

Except for the "atheists are retards / atheists are the taliban" comments and the highfiving from the flock; they're insults that offend no one but reveal the real feelings of the believers about atheists.

And let's not forget the delicious irony of drone believers slamming atheists for their attitude of "intellectual superiority" and then get off on their own moral superiority. Jesus would have called these people out as "white-washed graves", all pretty in their outward form but rotten inside. Yes, christians your love really shines through with threads and comment like these.

Thats the part I don't get. how dose the lack of belief by others rattle them so badly?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This, and they are downright evangelical about it, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More proof Atheism is a religion in itself.

You're both absolutely right. Just earlier today I was in atheist church, and then afterwards, the entire atheist congregation went debunking door to door. It's tiring work and I'm about to go to bed, just after I say 10 hail sciences (I haven't been as self righteous as my atheist pastor likes us to be so I'm doing penance).
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You're both absolutely right. Just earlier today I was in atheist church, and then afterwards, the entire atheist congregation went debunking door to door. It's tiring work and I'm about to go to bed, just after I say 10 hail sciences (I haven't been as self righteous as my atheist pastor likes us to be so I'm doing penance).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
More proof Atheism is a religion in itself.

I don't need church to worship science!   I can do so perfectly well from my easy chair in my underwear!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No.  It's just my opinion.  Anyone that has a FIRM belief that there is no higher power (AKA God)....Is a retard in my opinion.  Is that reasonable?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some are, just as some religious people are. Paint witha broad brush much?

No.  It's just my opinion.  Anyone that has a FIRM belief that there is no higher power (AKA God)....Is a retard in my opinion.  Is that reasonable?

That's fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I bet nothing would be said if she said she prayed to allah.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm an atheist and I'm not "Seething" about anything.

Merry "CHRISTMAS" everyone (Yeah, I'm good with celebrating the birth of the Christ child).
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I love the bible thumpers. They are always good for laughs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Why would atheists seethe?  She is obviously an idiot in spite of her education.

She deserves our pity for being stupid beyond belief.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tough sh*t for them then.  She believed and it worked for her.  That's all that counts.
View Quote

I would agree.

What I would have a problem with is this kind of belief leading to her telling others not to listen to medical advice, and instead pray disease away.

and before anyone tells me that's bs, nobody here would do that - yes, they do, and i hear it at least once a year.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#12]
The fool says in his heart there is no God.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pushing those kinds of quotes does the devil's work for him. Pounding on the wedge between people and Jesus.

Y'all do realize that that's what saying hurtful and insulting things to atheists is, right? Satan putting evil, self righteous words in your mouth to keep you from leading stray sheep back to the fold. He pays you for it by giving you that warm, superior, smug feeling. That's the devil's currency.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:38:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I bet a lot of atheists would be praying if they were facing death from Ebola.
View Quote

Will you ask Zeus to take mercy on you while on your death bed?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:43:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Everyone dies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotta love the athiests I work with.  I find it funny, how when gambling they are praying to a higher power for that ultimate winning card hand, or that winning roll of the dice, or the placement of that ball on the spinning roulette wheel.

I find it funny that Christians do these things, as if God gives a shit. Two football teams each praying before a game that God helps them win, while thousands die around the world.

Everyone dies.

Right. But not everyone need die as infants, or of disease, or famine, or dehydration, or of brutal murder or of sexual abuse and torture. All of these are occurring while those two teams pray against each other and others ask for nice weather on their wedding day. If it weren't so offensive, it would be laughable.

But I know, "God works in mysterious ways..."
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:46:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Next on their list will be to get the ACLU to file suit to ban prayer in hospitals.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:50:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Next on their list will be to get the ACLU to file suit to ban prayer in hospitals.
View Quote

And next on that of the theists' will be to lobby their Congressmen to require it.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:53:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And next on that of the theists' will be to lobby their Congressmen to require it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet my prediction comes true before yours.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:58:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you do.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:59:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm sure you do.
View Quote

Well it is an unfair bet because prayer is allowed in hospitals.

I'll give you 5 to 1 odds?

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:01:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you do.

Let's just both hope that neither occurs
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:04:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I BELIEVE

I'll have another beer.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:08:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thats the part I don't get. how dose the lack of belief by others rattle them so badly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kinda impressed that this discussion has remains civil for as long as it has.
Good job GD.

We all have doubts.

"Believers" as you put it witness the Gospel, as that is what we are instructed and compelled to do, by the Word of God, not out of a need to be "right".
If you have seen someone claiming to be a "believer" openly mock or ridicule a person without faith, then they aren't doing it the way they are supposed to.

My beliefs are gleaned from scripture, not simply my opinion.
When someone says XXXX is a sin, they are pointing out what Scripture tells them, and SHOULD be doing it in good will, to help, not in judgement.

Openly mocking someone because they cannot prove their beliefs, when you, yourself, cannot DISPROVE theirs, using your methods, is the problem, as I see it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:09:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How do you know this ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone who's been around a while has seen people who were struggling to stay alive, give up and then die.

Positive thinking plays a major role in people's revovery from injury and illness.  "Will to live" and all that...

Prayer is another form of this, and can help a person get through difficulties (without any sort of Divine intervention).

Even Aquinas acknowledged this value of prayer, the value of focusing the mind and fortifying the will.

Which meditation and mental training will do better, without any need the for the unresponsive partner.

How do you know this ?

Yeah, my question too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I would agree.

What I would have a problem with is this kind of belief leading to her telling others not to listen to medical advice, and instead pray disease away.

and before anyone tells me that's bs, nobody here would do that - yes, they do, and i hear it at least once a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tough sh*t for them then.  She believed and it worked for her.  That's all that counts.

I would agree.

As a Christian, I have never understood that belief structure.

I would take advantage of any medical advances God provided us with the ability to discover.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:14:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Why would atheists seethe?  She is obviously an idiot in spite of her education.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wow, that sounds kind of butthurtish.

Why is she an idiot? Because she also thanked her colleagues/medical professionals, AND prayer? Prayer, which is a form of positive thinking and very likely did help her keep a good outlook, which likely helped her beat this terrible diesase?

I'm willing to bet that she's a fairly decent nurse, and can even continue to function as one, even though she is religious and believes in the efficacy of prayer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:17:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I would take advantage of any medical advances God provided us with the ability to discover.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would agree.

And this.

I doubt this woman became a nurse because she doesn't think medicine is good for anything.

Except for a few flavors of religion, most religious folk believe in modern medicine and will do both things—pray AND see a doctor.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:28:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's fucking retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fucking retarded.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:41:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey, if prayer "worked" for them and they got cured, what's the beef?

A lot of people do not believe in a higher order; no skin off my nose.

I am a man of faith; I pray.

If someone wants to believe in zero, no problem with me. Just don't go ballistic for those that do believe.

Question: When a man is in combat or a life threatening situation, the most often thing I hear is: "Oh, Jesus!" or "Lord, help me!"

...wonder why?....
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:45:52 AM EDT
[#30]
How come she's not mad at God for letting her get it in the first place?  If someone walked up to me and stabbed me a few times, then called the ambulance, thanking the dude for saving my life is a little bit farther down on my list of priorities when the police come questioning.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:50:21 AM EDT
[#31]
The problem as I see it is, many are under the impression Christians think praying to God means He will do things for them or give them things.
Like asking Dad for more money for a date, or to use the car.
Maybe that's actually how some Christians see it, but I don't.

I've seen my share of death, disease, misery, and unfair circumstance.
Not once did I EXPECT God to make the bad stuff go away simply because I prayed for it.
Yes, I pray for Him to be merciful, and spare the suffering, but at the same time, I pray for myself and others to have the strength to accept, survive, overcome, or otherwise deal with, whatever happens.

This part is my own take/opinion:
I see prayer mostly as a "strengthening of will" exercise (to borrow a phrase used earlier), to help Christians and others deal best with adversity.
Example, the guy who goes through hell on Earth and comes out stronger and more resilient, vs the guy that loses it, and commits suicide, or worse.
The family that grows stronger as a result of tragedy, vs being torn apart.

God has performed "miracles", of this I am certain.
I'm unsure whether it was in response to prayer, or His plan, it's not my place to question.

But simply understanding the physical processes of what has happened, it retrospect, in no way proves that the outcome was NOT influenced by outside intervention.
Nothing in science, medical or otherwise, is 100% free of "anomalies", correct?
No course of treatment has a 100% constant success rate, or outcome, correct?
If you've got a 50/50 chance, when treated, of reaching an outcome, who can say for certain the guy that made it did not make it because of Divine intervention?

Addressing an earlier comment, someone prays to God, and dies regardless.
Well, why is that you assume that is such a horrible, unfair situation?
If you postulate that God is unfair by letting someone "die", you are ignoring the fact that the existence of God validates the existence of Heaven.
Meaning, if that person was saved, they are in a lot better shape than they were, here.
Sure, their family will have a rougher time of it, here, but everyone dies, it's not a matter of if, just when, and a lifetime here isn't a drop in the bucket to eternity.

For the sake of argument, what happens if the atheists are "right"?
None of us will ever know.
Now, what, exactly, do you suppose the outcome will be assuming Scripture is correct?
I imagine there will be some surprised folks with lots of time on their hands to consider their decisions.

I see no upside in being "liberated" of my belief structure, other than bragging rights on the internet.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If someone wants to believe in zero, no problem with me. Just don't go ballistic for those that do believe.

Question: When a man is in combat or a life threatening situation, the most often thing I hear is: "Oh, Jesus!" or "Lord, help me!"

...wonder why?....
View Quote

Really?  When watching live leak, all I hear are scatological and sexual comments concerning the area below the belt when they're being shot at.

Unless they're muslim, then it's all about how their god loves snackbars or some such.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:55:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I am sure many of the dead folks prayed too, so I can see their point
You can't see prayer under a microscope
She could have believed it and maybe it gave her some degree of comfort, but that's about all it can be worth from a scientific perspective
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:01:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How come she's not mad at God for letting her get it in the first place?  If someone walked up to me and stabbed me a few times, then called the ambulance, thanking the dude for saving my life is a little bit farther down on my list of priorities when the police come questioning.
View Quote

Why is it "some" folks blame God for everything bad that happens, but think that everything good that come their way they achieved on their own?

Feeding Dolphins on the Coast is illegal, right?
What's the logic against feeding the dolphins?
What's the logic against welfare, for those capable of providing for themselves?
What's the logic for not doing everything for your children, and making them struggle, at times?

Why do some folks think that a just and fair God would never allow anything bad to happen to anyone, ever, and allow them to do as they please, no matter what that consisted of?

In your experience, what happens to those who never have to struggle or fend for themselves, and have their every need attended to?

They become spiteful, disobedient, self centered, and disrespectful.

In the Old Testament, God played an active role in the lives of the chosen, and they rebelled anyhoo.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why is it "some" folks blame God for everything bad that happens, but think that everything good that come their way they achieved on their own?

What's the logic against welfare, for those capable of providing for themselves?
What's the logic for not doing everything for your children, and making them struggle, at times?

Why do some folks think that a just and fair God would never allow anything bad to happen to anyone, ever, and allow them to do as they please, no matter what that consisted of?

In your experience, what happens to those who never have to struggle or fend for themselves, and have their every need attended to?

In the Old Testament, God played an active role in the lives of the chosen, and they rebelled anyhoo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just saying God could be a little proactive instead of just constantly putting out fires. It would be less than trivial to wave his hand, poof,  no more Ebola. Instead he's answering prayers after the fact, running back and forth like a triage nurse, you get cured because we have transfusions and antivirals here, you get to bleed out because you live in Liberia, curerd, cured, cu... no I don't like your face, no cure, Pauly Shore. Sounds inefficient to me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Anybody who has ever seen anyone battle a deadly disease (which includes a lot of people, considering how prevalent a killer cancer is) knows how vital it is to the patient's survival that they have a strong will to live.

Now, I don't care if your strong motivation is because you desperately love your family, or if you believe in God, or if you just really don't want to miss the next season of Dancing with the Stars.

Your will to fight is fucking huge, and I'm not going to play armchair philosopher over the intellectual value of what you hold dear.

But, this is the internet, so some enlightened fuckwits will happily stroke each other off while pretending that prayer doesn't work for those who believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Anybody who has ever seen anyone battle a deadly disease (which includes a lot of people, considering how prevalent a killer cancer is) knows how vital it is to the patient's survival that they have a strong will to live.

Now, I don't care if your strong motivation is because you desperately love your family, or if you believe in God, or if you just really don't want to miss the next season of Dancing with the Stars.

Your will to fight is fucking huge, and I'm not going to play armchair philosopher over the intellectual value of what you hold dear.

But, this is the internet, so some enlightened fuckwits will happily stroke each other off while pretending that prayer doesn't work for those who believe.

Quoted:

Anyone who's been around a while has seen people who were struggling to stay alive, give up and then die.

Positive thinking plays a major role in people's revovery from injury and illness.  "Will to live" and all that...

Prayer is another form of this, and can help a person get through difficulties (without any sort of Divine intervention).

All of that.

I'm one of those atheists that doesn't believe Religion (or more specifically Christianity) is a bad thing.  I've known a ton of people whose lives changed for the better as a result of it... hard to complain about that from where I stand.

The only problem with Christianity, is the same problem that plagues everything... which is, people can be assholes.

The atheists complaining, are being assholes.

Don't be assholes, folks.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Pushing those kinds of quotes does the devil's work for him. Pounding on the wedge between people and Jesus.

Y'all do realize that that's what saying hurtful and insulting things to atheists is, right? Satan putting evil, self righteous words in your mouth to keep you from leading stray sheep back to the fold. He pays you for it by giving you that warm, superior, smug feeling. That's the devil's currency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

quoting the Bible does the devils work for him?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:25:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:Openly mocking someone because they cannot prove their beliefs, when you, yourself, cannot DISPROVE theirs, using your methods, is the problem, as I see it.
View Quote

I hope you don't mock the people that believe that the world is controlled by reptilian aliens. Bush, Obama, Putin, all of them are lizard men. You can't disprove it.

Yes these people really exist.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

...wonder why?....
View Quote

And just how often have you heard this from a man in combat or about to be killed? Considering the world's population is in the billions, what's your sample size?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely, there is some messed up stuff in those pages.

The surest way to set someone on the path of atheism is to ask them to read the bible.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The only problem with Christianity, is the same problem that plagues everything... which is, people can be assholes.

The atheists complaining, are being assholes.

Don't be assholes, folks.
View Quote

You make a valid point. The difficulty I have is when the ignorant among us read these accounts and then try to use my tax dollars to legislate based on their superstitions.

And for the record, I don't seethe at anyone professing the power of their prayer, I may just chuckle a little inside.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
That's fucking retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's fucking retarded.
Come on.  It's much more intelligent and logical to believe in supernatural spirits that we can't see or touch or find any practical evidence of.  Or even that there was a Jew who walked the earth 2000 years ago for about 33 years who actually was a god and saved the world, even though the world appears no more saved now then when Greeks and Persians conquered all.   At least Atheists don't believe in more than one god, that has got to be the worst, those 1 Billion Hindus.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why does the heathen rage?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I bet a lot of atheists would be praying if they were facing death from Ebola.
View Quote

No atheists in the Ebola foxhole?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Can I stop seething yet?  My face is starting to go numb.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Can I stop seething yet?  My face is starting to go numb.
View Quote

Weeping and gnashing of your teeth will also suffice.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Atheists are fucking retards....
View All Quotes
I think this is the phase your were searching for...

Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cherry picking divisive quotes when there are so many other quotes about Jesus' love? Pulling them out of context like that? You bet.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Cherry picking divisive quotes when there are so many other quotes about Jesus' love? Pulling them out of context like that? You bet.
View Quote

Most of the cherry picking comes from the side trying to find those few isolated instances of love amidst all the oppression and murder that makes up the bulk of the book.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top