Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 31
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By dnmccoy:
I cant find it :( If someone did it or can find a link Id be much obliged :)

here y a go it was 6 pages back   http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/352660_Poor_man_s_SS_wet_tumbler.html
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:42:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#2]
Just an update, i came up with another drum design you guys can make with stuff bought at lowes.

just a word of caution. i am having sealing issues with the cap. working on a fix will post when i get it figured out.

update got leak fixed  you need to use a #437 o ring to seal between the threaded cap and fitting. it is a    #437      6" ID x 6-1/2" OD x 1/4" Dia. Buna-N 70 O-Ring  pics to come later after my second test tumbling is done.

6" sdr35 pipe
6" cap
and 6" clean out with cap at 17" long it will hold 2 gallons or 10lbs of media

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:23:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#4]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Nice, what did you spend on parts for your latest drum?

the pipe 2' section is 15.99
cap is 6.99
clean out fitting 7.69
clean out cap   4.99

then you need a 2' piece of 1 1/2 pvc to cut in half and bolt in for fins around 3 bucks

much cheaper than building the 8" drum the fittings alone on that one cost me 72 bucks for the pair. plus 11 for the cap, the pipe i got used for it and it was 30 so i had about 115 in the 8" drum. it hold 2.9 gallons but i think

this one will work much better for the guys for the price.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 9:17:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nicholastheczar] [#6]
Originally Posted By BIGGDAWG:
Just an update, i came up with another drum design you guys can make with stuff bought at lowes.

just a word of caution. i am having sealing issues with the cap. working on a fix will post when i get it figured out.

update got leak fixed  you need to use a #437 o ring to seal between the threaded cap and fitting. it is a    #437      6" ID x 6-1/2" OD x 1/4" Dia. Buna-N 70 O-Ring  pics to come later after my second test tumbling is done.

6" sdr35 pipe
6" cap

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/BIGGDAWG800/tumbler%20pics/IMG_4607.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/BIGGDAWG800/tumbler%20pics/IMG_4606.jpg

Do you have your part numbers from lowes for the new drum?  I went there tonight and was able to find a 6"x2' piece of pipe (#110875) and a 6" White PVC cap (#122863) but they didn't have a clean out cap.

Also, did you get the #437 Oring at Lowes also?

Thanks,
Nick
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Nicholastheczar:

6" sdr35 pipe
6" cap

Do you have your part numbers from lowes for the new drum?  I went there tonight and was able to find a 6"x2' piece of pipe (#110875) and a 6" White PVC cap (#122863) but they didn't have a clean out cap.

Thanks,
Nick

i am sorry i got the clean out fitting and cap at menards. lowes didn't have it. and the o-rings i ordered online but you can also get them at fastenal.

im me if you can't find one.

the menards number on my receipt for the fitting is 6890463  6" female adaptor and cap  6890476 6" sewer clean out cap
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Nicholastheczar:

6" sdr35 pipe
6" cap

Thanks,
Nick

i am sorry i got the clean out fitting and cap at menards. lowes didn't have it. and the o-rings i ordered online but you can also get them at fastenal.

im me if you can't find one.

the menards number on my receipt for the fitting is 6890463  6" female adaptor and cap  6890476 6" sewer clean out cap

Thanks for the info.  We don't have any Menards in Texas but I will try to take it to a pumbling supply house and I'm sure they will have fittings for it.  I'll swing by Fastenal and grab a Oring.  Thanks for the info!

Nick
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#9]
have you thought about putting the belt directly around the pvc like a laundry dryer?
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By critt77matt:
have you thought about putting the belt directly around the pvc like a laundry dryer?

nope didn't see a need it would make it harder to take drum on and off. much simpler to me the way i have it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Got pics of that O-ring yet?

I think this is going to be my next project.

I just can't bring myself to run anything but sparkling clean brass through my new 300 blk dies for re forming and a wet tumbler is the only way I'm going to git er done.

Thanks for the update on the tumbler, this should bring the cost of the project down considerably.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 10:33:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#12]
Originally Posted By Jailer:
Got pics of that O-ring yet?

I think this is going to be my next project.

I just can't bring myself to run anything but sparkling clean brass through my new 300 blk dies for re forming and a wet tumbler is the only way I'm going to git er done.

Thanks for the update on the tumbler, this should bring the cost of the project down considerably.

be right back will take a couple of pics and get them up.

here they are. it is a #437 o ring

Link Posted: 1/16/2012 11:06:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jailer] [#13]
Where did you get the o-ring from and how much? I'm finding prices in the $20 on up range for this on line.

Is that what you paid for yours?

ETA: nvrmind, I was looking at the wrong thing. Found a r pack on Amazon for 7 bucks and change.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Where did you get the o-ring from and how much? I'm finding prices in the $20 on up range for this on line.

ETA: nvrmind, I was looking at the wrong thing. Found a r pack on Amazon for 7 bucks and change.

yes i got mine on amazon. pack of 5 for around 7 also.

Link Posted: 1/17/2012 5:59:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kaos] [#15]

I'd suggest giving a thought to coating the o-ring with 'plumber's grease', or some kind of water based lube once in a while, so it allows the cap to glide over the surface when you screw it on as opposed to grabbing the material and eventually ripping/gouging chunks as it gets compressed, making the ring last longer.  It should also allow you to torque the cap on more easily to achieve a water tight compression fit.
Just a suggestion you may want to try.
BD:  That's some classy work you turned out.  I'm waiting to see what kind of product development discussions your stuff might be causing in meetings at Thumler.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 11:28:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hrt4me] [#16]
another homemade tumbler for wet tumbling with stainless media

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By hrt4me:

http://www.ar15.com/lib/editor/img/trans.gif

I see the link in this reply, but nothing there in the original thread, nor does it show if I copy/past the address into the addressbar.

Was it good?

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 12:14:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hrt4me] [#18]
fixed (see above)

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By kaos:

Originally Posted By hrt4me:

http://www.ar15.com/lib/editor/img/trans.gif

I see the link in this reply, but nothing there in the original thread, nor does it show if I copy/past the address into the addressbar.

Was it good?

He is having problems with his links and pics. He will figure it out.

Sorry if I came off as rude.  I meant no offense.

My Firefox/Win7 combination won't see some URLs and I never know if it's me, my ISP, or the posting.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:04:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#22]
BIGDAWG, I noticed you used bolts and nuts on your later drum designs as opposed to rivets on the earlier one.

Did you have any problems with the rivets working loose? Just curious as to why you made the change.

Getting ready to start on mine and just trying to cover all bases before I start.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#23]
BIGDAWG, I noticed you used bolts and nuts on your later drum designs as opposed to rivets on the earlier one.

Did you have any problems with the rivets working loose? Just curious as to why you made the change.

Getting ready to start on mine and just trying to cover all bases before I start.

no i didn't have any problems with the rivets. i just thought the stainless bolts would work better and i wanted to hide the bolts under the caps so they wouldn't leak

i can counter sing the bolts under the caps then when the caps are glued on they are sealed and no leaks.

i have the rivet container still and it still isn't leaking either.

Link Posted: 1/30/2012 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#24]

I can't seem to find them at 5 for $7.  I'm doing a search for "#437 o-ring", what am i doing wrong?
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By seawash:

I can't seem to find them at 5 for $7.  I'm doing a search for "#437 o-ring", what am i doing wrong?

here ya go  437 oring on amazon

Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By seawash:

here ya go  437 oring on amazon

Seen your video on Youtube, Very nice!  
Your service panel is missing its cover though
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:37:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#27]
yes my service cover is off lol took it off 3 years ago to dry out after i had 7 foot of water in my basement from a huge flood we had here. missed my main floor by 2 inches

guess it should be dry now i will have to get it put back on i am just a little lazy when it comes to stuff like that  

and thanks on the video it is kinda cheesy but i am no video expert lol.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 6:03:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jailer] [#28]
Well my first attempt at building a drum is a failure.  

I can't get the clean out cap to turn in enough to make contact with the o-ring and it leaks.

Also I didn't even give it any thought until after it was built but the pipe cap I bought is rounded not flat. Kinda hard to sit it up and fill it when it wants to fall over.

Back to the drawing board...........

ETA: Just figured out my problem. My fitting is a female thread adapter not a clean out. The threads are much deeper on the adapter than they are on the clean out and the plug doesn't even come close to bottoming out so it will seal.

Oh well, I'll cut this one off and either get a clean out or a reducer and rubber cap.

Live and learn.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Well my first attempt at building a drum is a failure.  

I can't get the clean out cap to turn in enough to make contact with the o-ring and it leaks.

Also I didn't even give it any thought until after it was built but the pipe cap I bought is rounded not flat. Kinda hard to sit it up and fill it when it wants to fall over.

Back to the drawing board...........

ETA: Just figured out my problem. My fitting is a female thread adapter not a clean out. The threads are much deeper on the adapter than they are on the clean out and the plug doesn't even come close to bottoming out so it will seal.

Oh well, I'll cut this one off and either get a clean out or a reducer and rubber cap.

Live and learn.
I'm using Gamma Seal Lids on new 5 gallon buckets.

The seal between the rim (that the lid screws into) and the bucket dribbles while the drum is rotating.

I'm trying to use Silicone caulk, this time, hoping to plug the leak with new lids and buckets.

The units are supposed to be so 'Air Tight' you can store pesticides with them.

Regarding your leaking drum -

If you haven't cut it up yet - you can use it with walnut shells to tumble the lube off your sized and assembled ammo.

You don't want to be tumbling that stuff in water on the final go-round.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Well after looking at all the ones everyone else made I decided to make me one. I don’t have a welder so I made it out of wood. I’m still waiting for the media to get here next week. I would like to thank all who posted theirs, I got real good info all. I may have made my tube to big it is 6 in X 28in long, may end up making a second 14 in long. I’m not sure if its turning to fast I have an 1 1/2 on motor and 3 in on the shaft, should I have used an 4in instead. I guess I need to start de-priming some 30-06 I have 3 five gallon buckets to do.

Link Posted: 2/11/2012 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#31]
looks good great work.

your drum speed should be good maybe a little fast actually. i run 1 1/2 and 4 so you will be running a bit faster than mine

with the 6" drum you will probably be in the100-110 rpm range if  your motor turns 1750 rpm like mine.

mine runs around 80 rpm fyi

here is a link to a online rpm calculator    rpm calculator
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I think I might be way to fast I used a motor off my craftsman table top sander its a 3/4 HP 3450 RPM. I used it because I had it laying around, I might need to move up to an 5 in pulley.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jah141:
I think I might be way to fast I used a motor off my craftsman table top sander its a 3/4 HP 3450 RPM. I used it because I had it laying around, I might need to move up to an 5 in pulley.

actually you would need a 7.5 inch pulley to get it down to 90 rpm
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#34]
what about using an dimmer switch to slow down the motor ?
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#35]

it would probably work, i don't know how long the motor would last some electric motors don't play

nice with reduced voltage.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok thanks I will look for a larger one. I have 6 lbs of media on order that should be enough right. I think I'm turning the drum at 150 RPM is that to fast.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok thanks I will look for a larger one. I have 6 lbs of media on order that should be enough right. I think I'm turning the drum at 150 RPM is that to fast.

no 6lbs won't be near enuff.  your drum will hold over 3 gallons water you should use at least 10lbs but i would use 15 if it was me.

and yes 150 is too much in my opinion
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#38]
If I cut it down to about 14 in long will  6 lbs be good.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#39]
If I cut it down to about 14 in long will  6 lbs be good.

that will make it 1.7 gallons you will be borderline you would want to stay 4lbs of brass or less with that media but

it should work.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#40]
thanks  I guess live and learn bigger is not allways better. I cant wait to run it for real next week.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#42]

Dimmer switches are made for small lighting loads. Dimmer switch=dim lights.

Hooked up to a motor, it will fail fast. Maybe even Kaboom, sparks and stuff.

Yea I'm looking at a larger pulley will have to pick up next week. Any info is always welcome. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 9:10:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Impyman18] [#43]
Growing up my dad and I would use one of These for small concrete jobs. It has built-in agitators and a sealing o-ring. At $25 it sounds nice for a jumbo drum. I think one would have to add a rim around the rear portion to keep it from falling into the support rods on the tumbler.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Well today my SS media came in I was worse than a kid on Christmas ran down stairs and loaded up the tube.  I ran it for about 2 1/2 hours, will need to work on my straining method. But other than that all went well no it went great. They came out better than new, I could not be happier with it.

I would like to thank BIGGDAWG what you put up on this blogg inspired me to try to build one. For anyone who cant weld they can be made from wood also so don't let it scare you away from making your own. Ask questions here I learned alot for ALL here. Biggdawg I put a 7 1/2 in pulley on it, my RPM's are in the low 80's you was spot on again Thanks.   If there is any one in south west Ohio I have some extra green 6 inch PVC pipe let me know.  And now here are the pics.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#45]
jah141,

those look great. I am glad you got yours built. it sure is something when you put the work in to build something and then reap the rewards. congrats.

glad i could help.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:38:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: XDMRajuy] [#46]
Looks good man. I have always been a person who likes to tinker and build things. I am glad I found this thread. Biggdawg has inspired me to make one also. I am just trying to find my 6" pvc pipe in lengths shorter than 10'. Cant wait to tumble my first loads. I have about 2000 .223 cases that need to be cleaned and I refuse to tumble with the corncob media.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Well today my SS media came in I was worse than a kid on Christmas ran down stairs and loaded up the tube.  I ran it for about 2 1/2 hours, will need to work on my straining method. But other than that all went well no it went great. They came out better than new, I could not be happier with it.

I would like to thank BIGGDAWG what you put up on this blogg inspired me to try to build one. For anyone who cant weld they can be made from wood also so don't let it scare you away from making your own. Ask questions here I learned alot for ALL here. Biggdawg I put a 7 1/2 in pulley on it, my RPM's are in the low 80's you was spot on again Thanks.   If there is any one in south west Ohio I have some extra green 6 inch PVC pipe let me know.  And now here are the pics.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/jah141/001.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/jah141/007.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/jah141/005.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/jah141/013.jpg

Jah141,
what length did you end up cutting your pipe down to? I only order 5 pounds of stainless media and I was just looking for reference.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:03:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#48]
Originally Posted By XDMRajuy:

Jah141,
what length did you end up cutting your pipe down to? I only order 5 pounds of stainless media and I was just looking for reference.

for 5lbs media you want  around a gallon of capacity so pipe length of 8-9 inches plus the fittings will work fine.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:09:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jah141] [#50]
Originally Posted By XDMRajuy:

Jah141,

Yea the only length in 6 in I could find was 10 ft at lowes. If you was local I would be glad to give you a chunk and that goes for any one in the Dayton / Cinci area of Ohio. I cut my first pipe down from about 28 in to 2 tubes one 16in the other 12 in long. so far all is working  good will do some 30.06 when I get home.

Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top