Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 31
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Seeing all these pictures is killing me! Maybe this'll be my next purchase.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a heads up I just ordered some more of the SS pellets from Pellets LLC. I was told that they will stop selling to public in the next week or two. I picked up 10 pounds for my two tubes that I have.

Link Posted: 2/21/2012 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 8:43:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#4]
Originally Posted By krpind:
Originally Posted By jah141:
Just a heads up I just ordered some more of the SS pellets from Pellets LLC. I was told that they will stop selling to public in the next week or two. I picked up 10 pounds for my two tubes that I have.

Which one are y'all getting and how much is it?

Is it the .020/.023X.50/.60 or the .028X.70?

when you call them just tell them you want the stainless media for using in a wet tumbler for brass. min is .26x.040 roughly
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#6]
the part number on my invoice is    SCW-41 x .265
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 12:32:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GWhis] [#8]
Hey you do-it-yourselfers, Did you know???

The big 7 gallon buckets that chorine tablets for home swimming pools are sold in, comes with full width water proof (gas proof) screw-on lids???

I bet a lot of people know somebody with a pool.  I help my 92 year-old father take care of his pool at his apartment complex, and it just hit me.  I saved a couple for a future project....if the stainless steel medeo sources don't dry up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GWhis:

The big 7 gallon buckets that chorine tablets for home swimming pools are sold in, comes with full width water proof (gas proof) screw-on lids???

I bet a lot of people know somebody with a pool.  I help my 92 year-old father take care of his pool at his apartment complex, and it just hit me.  I saved a couple for a future project....if the stainless steel medeo sources don't dry up.

The only problem with that is how mutch SS you will need to buy. To me the real question is how much brass do you need to clean at one time. My large tube is 6 x 16 and holds about 1 3/4 gal of water and can run 250 30.06 cases at one time.I will be using atleast 16 pounds fo SS media inmine at a cost of atleast 6-7.00 a pound. the SS media is the costly part of this whole deal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 9:26:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kaos] [#11]

Originally Posted By GWhis:

The only problem with that is how mutch SS you will need to buy. To me the real question is how much brass do you need to clean at one time. My large tube is 6 x 16 and holds about 1 3/4 gal of water and can run 250 30.06 cases at one time.I will be using atleast 16 pounds fo SS media inmine at a cost of atleast 6-7.00 a pound. the SS media is the costly part of this whole deal.
I bought 25 Lbs of SS for my 5 gallon unit.
I'm down to using about 16 or 17 Lbs in it.

Still tumbling for about 75 minutes to get clean and shiny.

I fill up an ammo spam-can as a measuring cup.  That's somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 5.56 shells.

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#12]
All right you all talked me into it, I'm now building my own wet tumbler, been corn cob'n for all these years.
Just started collecting items we have that are left over from jobs at the shop, I've got bearings, motor, angle iron, speed controller, belts, and a piece of 6" sewer pipe.
I needed to buy the shafts, PVC cap and reducer, cap, and hose.
Ordered the SS pins from Pellets LLC today
I'm gonna start on it tomorrow.
I would have never thought about any of this if I wouldn't have come across this great site.
Hell now I'm even going to jump into the deep end and become a "Black Rifle" owner
I'll post some pics once I read about how tonupload them on this site.
Thanks again everyone!

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Great, you sucked me in, and I am ordering all the "stuff" to do this. lol

Got several questions:

How do you tension the belt?

Where did you get your pulleys?

Any trick to sliding the heater hose over the shafts?

What size are the bearings on the upright posts for the drum to roll against? Source?

Did you change any dimensions on your blue V2 setup? Shaft lengths, drum size, etc.

How much do you have in the V2 setup now?

After ordering motor $85 shipped, media 20# $120 plus shipping, bushings $41shipped, and o-rings $12 shipped, I have over $250 already. I am planning on making two drums 17" long, so I will have a little $$$ extra there as well as an extra 10# of media for the second drum.

Thanks! Awesome thread!

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CSCameron:

Got several questions:

How do you tension the belt?   the bracket on the motor is slotted –– i use a push clamp to tension the belt then tighten the bolts that hold the motor

Where did you get your pulleys?   I bought mine on amazon

Any trick to sliding the heater hose over the shafts?   i put a little soapy water in the hose and on the shaft

What size are the bearings on the upright posts for the drum to roll against? Source?   i bought the bearings on ebay they are 3/4 inch bearing with 1/4 inch hole

Did you change any dimensions on your blue V2 setup? Shaft lengths, drum size, etc. no the shafts are still 1/2" i just upgraded to the better bearings. v2 can handle a lot more weight i have gone up to 90lbs total weight
and it still worked fine

How much do you have in the V2 setup now?  i have about 120-130 in the frame with everything but the motor the motor is 80 locally so right at 200 in the tumbler with out the drum

After ordering motor $85 shipped, media 20# $120 plus shipping, bushings $41shipped, and o-rings $12 shipped, I have over $250 already. I am planning on making two drums 17" long, so I will have a little $$$ extra there as well as an extra 10# of media for the second drum.

Thanks! Awesome thread!

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Got several questions:

How do you tension the belt?

Where did you get your pulleys?

Any trick to sliding the heater hose over the shafts?

What size are the bearings on the upright posts for the drum to roll against? Source?

Did you change any dimensions on your blue V2 setup? Shaft lengths, drum size, etc.

How much do you have in the V2 setup now?

Thanks! Awesome thread!

If you have a Grainger close to you that is where I got my pulley and 1/2 steel rod from. I used heater hose and it slid right on the rod still had a little oil still on it. Before you get your pulley check your motor RPM you want you end tube RPM around 60-80 . If you have questions just ask the people here are great. BIGGDAWG helped me with my RPM issue I'm very happy with mine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#16]
BIGGDAWG   DAM your quick!
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#17]
BIGGDAWG   DAM your quick!

don't tell my gf that  

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I got my pulley's and belts from the link below since I couldn't find any locally. They have a pretty good selection of both.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#19]
How did you manage to cut the 1.5" PVC pipe length wise? Don't have a table saw.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#20]
How did you manage to cut the 1.5" PVC pipe length wise? Don't have a table saw.

i used a table saw but if you are careful you could use any saw including hand saw.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#21]

I used a dremmel with a cut off wheel. Not the fastest way but it works.

Lay it down on your work surface and lay a straight edge up against it lengthwise (I used a level). Mark a line down the length of the pipe so you have a line to follow when cutting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#22]

What's the part number or code for this media... Is this what they call "cut wire shot"?
I'm looking at the pellets website and am having trouble figuring out which product is which...
My web-fu is fail
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By BIGGDAWG:

i posted it half way up this page
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Thanks BIGGDAWG

Duh.... My web-fu is the worst today  'Found this link by accident  http://www.pelletsllc.com/PelletNews
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 9:15:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kaos] [#25]

Originally Posted By Girlieman:

Thanks BIGGDAWG

Duh.... My web-fu is the worst today  'Found this link by accident  http://www.pelletsllc.com/PelletNews
It's a 90 second phone call:

You: "I'm tumbling brass ammo"

Her: "You need ......"

<Insert credcard info and address here.>

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 9:23:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jah141] [#26]
Originally Posted By kaos:

Thanks BIGGDAWG

Hey Kaos I don't think I have seen a pic of your machine I believe that should be mandatory if you post here to prove that you did make one. No pic it didn't happen !!
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 11:18:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CSCameron] [#28]
BIGGDAWG,

Thanks for answering all my stupid questions! A couple more, how do you start/stop your motor? Wired switch or plug?

Also, I tried to pick up the end caps/clean out today and the 6" pieces were too big for the size of the 6" sdr35 PVC pipe you spec'd? Are there special caps for this pipe? Part #?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#29]
BIGGDAWG,

Thanks for answering all my stupid questions! A couple more, how do you start/stop your motor? Wired switch or plug?

Also, I tried to pick up the end caps/clean out today and the 6" pieces were too big for the size of the 6" sdr35 PVC pipe you spec'd? Are there special caps for this pipe? Part #?

Thanks again!

i use a switch to turn my tumbler on and off here is a pic

the fittings are sdr 35 or dwv  fittings also called sewer or drain pipe fittings. my numbers on mine are

manufacture  nds  6p06 for the cap and m6p07 on the reducer also nds i bought them at menards and lowes
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 11:32:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CSCameron] [#30]
Awesome! I went to 2 Lowe's and  2 Home Depot's here today, none carry 6" fittings, only 4". I will try some plumbing warehouses tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

***Update: I took your cap numbers and Googled them, first link was to Home Depot. Just not available in my area.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Awesome! I went to 2 Lowe's and  2 Home Depot's here today, none carry 6" fittings, only 4". I will try some plumbing warehouses tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

***Update: I took your cap numbers and Googled them, first link was to Home Depot.

At the lowes by me they had two sections of 6 in pipe the two types dont interchange the green sewer pipe I found comes in 10 ft sec and has a flared end at one end. Hope this helps
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I got the 6" x 2' green sdr35 PVC pipe at Lowe's. They just didn't have any fittings for it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:56:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kaos] [#33]

Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Originally Posted By kaos:

Thanks BIGGDAWG

Hey Kaos I don't think I have seen a pic of your machine I believe that should be mandatory if you post here to prove that you did make one. No pic it didn't happen !!

Ask is fine. dryflash3

<A little license taken, on my part...>

It's been so long since I welded anything, and I'd have to buy the complete rig anyway....
But between dryflash3 showing pretty brass, and BiggDawg doing the legwork to show how it could be done a different way, well...

And as a bonus, I figured out how to dry about 800 rounds in 2 hours by using the output of the above drier.

I'll post a pic tomorrow of my particulars, and I'm sure it can be cobbled together with the right spare parts for those of you not using the white brand of tumbler.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Just ordered from them yesterday, received my invoice today, part number was SCW-41 / .255? Is this correct?

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Hey guys,

Newb question on wet tumbling, Has anyone used a concrete mixer to do this? Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Allright I've got the whole thing put together today, changed motors to a 1/6 HP 1075 RPM over the 1/3 HP 1750 I started with, the 1750 was spinning my barrel at 140 RPM  which I thought may have been a little to fast  the 1050 dropped the RPM's down to 81 so I will see how that goes.
Recieved the SS pellet pins in the mail today also so I can't wait till I get home to try it out.
I feel like a kid at christmas for some reason.

Thanks again to BIGGDOG for this DYI project

P.S. I've e-mailed back and forth a few times with Denean at Pellets LLC and was told it's only a rumor that they are going to stop selling to the public.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Smworker1:
Allright I've got the whole thing put together today, changed motors to a 1/6 HP 1075 RPM over the 1/3 HP 1750 I started with, the 1750 was spinning my barrel at 140 RPM  which I thought may have been a little to fast  the 1050 dropped the RPM's down to 81 so I will see how that goes.
Recieved the SS pellet pins in the mail today also so I can't wait till I get home to try it out.

P.S. I've e-mailed back and forth a few times with Denean at Pellets LLC and was told it's only a rumor that they are going to stop selling to the public.

Smworker1,

I am looking at doing this project also.  I like you have a 1/4 HP 1050 RPM motor, I was wondering what size pulley's you are using to get your RPM's down to 81?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By neverenoughtoys:

Smworker1,

I am looking at doing this project also.  I like you have a 1/4 HP 1050 RPM motor, I was wondering what size pulley's you are using to get your RPM's down to 81?  Thanks.

neverenoughtoys,  

I'm running a 1 5/8". Pulley on the motor and a 3 1/2". On the drive shaft.
The drive shaft is a 5/8". With 3/4" OD hose around it.
I'm running the 6" sewer pipe with PVC fittings with a rubber cap,   (I have ex-plumber that works for me that thinks a pressure plug would would be a better/easier seal on the 4" end)
I checked the speed of the barrel with one of our tachs, so I know it's at 81 but I did not check the motor so it could be a little off.

I just started my first load of 250 pcs. 45 acp and 52 pcs. Of 30-06.  Can't wait till it's done.  Soooooo excited!

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#40]
great thread
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 10:47:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Girlieman] [#41]
Well I was thinking about asking biggdawg to build me a machine less the motor and drum, but after some thought I decided to try building. One myself...
Cobbled together most of the parts today and put together a rough mock up... So far so good.
Four pillow. Block bearings cost me $52
5/8" steel rod was $12 for two 24" lengths
Heater hose was$20 for a 15' roll
Bought a new 1725rpm motor and a few different pullys  for $100
Still need some nuts bolts washers etc for the final assembly...

I'll pick up my stainless steel pins on Monday...

Probably have everything. Running by Tuesday...

In the end its not much less $$ than buying the commercially available thumbler tumbler, but these home built units have greater capacity and dare I say... They look more robust and durable.

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#42]
How are you guys calculating the rpm of the drum? Formula please? What is the optimum rpm of the drum supposed to be?
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#43]
How are you guys calculating the rpm of the drum? Formula please? What is the optimum rpm of the drum supposed to be?

here is an rpm calculator on the web

rpm calculator

i shoot for 60-80 rpm right or wrong –– twice what a thumler does.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:33:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks BIGDAWG, I saw that posted earlier but couldn't make sense of it. Put in 1.5" drive pulley, 1750 motor rpm, and a target of 60 rpm on the second pulley, it calculates the size of the second pulley as 43.75"? I'm definitely doing something wrong...
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks BIGDAWG, I saw that posted earlier but couldn't make sense of it. Put in 1.5" drive pulley, 1750 motor rpm, and a target of 60 rpm on the second pulley, it calculates the size of the second pulley as 43.75"? I'm definitely doing something wrong...

what you are forgeting is you have to calculate both ratios  motor to drive shaft then drive shaft to drum

so here is a math refresher coarse

take a 6" drum and put that in as diameter 2

then take a 1/2 shaft plus the rubber hose = 3/4 inch   so .75 and put in diameter 1 then put 60 rpm in for rpm2 and the solve.

so you need a shaft rpm of 480 rpm to get the drum to 60 rpm now plug in the numbers again

so you would need a 5.5 inch pulley to get 60 rpm

hope this helps
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 4:21:22 AM EDT
[#46]
BIGDAWG, I've tried and tried to wrap my head around that calculator and I can't figure it out either. I did find a post on another forum with a simple formula that seems to work well. I have shamlessly quoted it below.

Motor Rpm= M
Motor Pulley Diameter= MP
Driven Pulley Diameter = DP
Diameter of Driven Shaft = DS
Diameter of Tumbler Drum = TD
Driven RPM of the Drum = DR

M x MP x DS
––––––––––––––––––- = DR or the speed of drum on the tumbler.
TD x DP

Lets try one .

You found a motor at the dump that has a sticker on it that says it turns at 1725 RPM.
You go to Lowes and find a pulley that fits the motor and it has a diameter of 2”.
You buy some bearings for the shaft to run on and they are ½ “ size for your ½” shafts.
You buy a 6” pulley for the driven shaft for the tumbler drum to run on.
You make a 6” tumbler drum out of a empty plastic jar.
How quick will your tumbler drum be turning at?

With our handy dandy formula we can plug in some numbers and find out.

1725rpm x 2” x ½”shaft
––––––––––––––––––––––––––- = 47.9 RPM or about 48 RPM the tumbler drum will be going.
6” drum x 6”pulley
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 9:00:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CSCameron] [#47]
Excellent! Thanks for the clarification for the math challenged.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#49]

Thanks again BIGGDAWG!  (I got the name right this time I hope)

My total cost into this thing is about $60.00  since most of the items have been recycled from HVAC equipment we have in the bone yard
only had to buy-
1- pully
1- belt
1- spray paint
2- bearings
2- shafts
3'- hose
2- PVC fittings
1- rubber cap
1- fuse
4- shafth stops
asst- stainless bolts, nuts, washers
mig welding wire (it's in the welder but still bought it at one time)

Ran it for 2 hours last night with my first load,  man all I can say is HOLY CRAP  what a difference and the cases had been ran thru my walnut media case vibrator.
When I dumped the water it was very dirty , trully unbelivable.

Here are a few pics of my machine, Didn't take any of the brass yet. I had to make a small prop fan to help keep the motor cool since it's a "air over" style.

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice!

Found this handy belt calculator, pretty cool...

Belt Size Calculator
Page / 31
Top Top