Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2024 1:10:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stylz]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:35:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrKlahn] [#2]
The Sim systems have been around for quite a while, the price should be coming down on them by now.

If I recall correctly the Sim system that was in the range I was at was up like $60,000 but this is also 2016.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats an expensive subscription model.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably SUPER WORTH IT if you are super concerned about your scores.

I do mostly rifle competition training when I’m at the range.

I do NOT use my time at the range efficiently. I still do this shooting thing a lot. But I am at the point where I enjoy just WASTING TIME at the range at least as much as I enjoy TRAINING at the range.

I’m sure my scores would improve if I got one of these jazzy new video systems. How I would hate having to fire that thing up in the basement every day. Good for you guys who truly love it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Since it's not in the video or OP, the subscription costs $19/mo or $168/yr (they have a 20% mil/first responder discount)

The physical guns, aka "handsets", are $199
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#8]
This is genuinely the future of training.

That said, that pricing model is steee-eeeep.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:57:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#9]
I enjoyed Crackshot and it worked extremely well. It has a version for augmented reality using targets you define and a version you cast to a projector. However the app hasn't had an update since 2022. It always worked amazingly well for me with a red laser cartridge and needed very little calibration.

The new Ace thing looks good but that model is stupidly steep, even if it is good. Maybe doable if you already have the headset.

Virtra Sims with cool fire style blowback systems are awesome and work great. If I ever win a billion dollars on the lottery I'll put a wraparound one in the basement.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I just go pew pew with my gun in front of the mirror.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:59:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PeepEater] [#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DarkGray:
Since it's not in the video or OP, the subscription costs $19/mo or $168/yr (they have a 20% mil/first responder discount)

The physical guns, aka "handsets", are $199
View Quote

Considering what I have into a Blackbeard, pistol laser cartridge setup, targets, stands, and tripod to run Laser Academy to it's fullest the cost isn't terribly out of line, especially to people that already have $5000+ into their competition rigs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:02:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Fast forward some years and I would love to see this be the actual match.  No more resetting.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Also, is there any difference in functionality between the quest 2 and 3 versions? You can find a quest 2 cheap. A 3 is still $450+.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
Fast forward some years and I would love to see this be the actual match.  No more resetting.
View Quote

It's a nice way to find out who plays gun games and who is a man worth knowing seeing who pastes and who avoids helping.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:13:03 AM EDT
[#15]
What is the total cost of everything?

What all is needed?
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:13:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#16]
I bought a mantis with the intent of using the dryfire system on a projector. Abandoned the idea quick.

Zeroing is an issue. Every time I throw it in I have to rezero the laser. You also have to zero your optic to the laser.

It’s worthless in daylight across my yard.

The casing on mine started breaking and separating almost immediately. They will only replace it once it stops being able to be zero’d.

You can outrun the reset easy if you have a good trigger.

The battery takes no joke, days to charge. The reset slows down pretty fast as it drains too, making the issue above more pronounced.

On clean chrome bores I got some weird reflection distortion. Didn’t happen on my nitride guns.

It’s great for new shooters. It’s also good for splits from resting. If you want to use it like a duck hunt type thing, it’s pretty mediocre. For a few hundred bucks it’s good fun. If you’re a somewhat experienced shooter I think a 22 conversion kit is the better buy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:14:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Dance:
What is the total cost of everything?

What all is needed?
View Quote

You need a Meta Quest 2 or 3. The 2 runs from $200 to $300 depending on the on board storage, the 3 is $450.

You need a gun handset which is $199.

You then need an app subscription, at $14/MO on the annual plan and $19/MO billed monthly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:

It's a nice way to find out who plays gun games and who is a man worth knowing seeing who pastes and who avoids helping.
View Quote

You actually enjoy taping and resetting?
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#19]

You actually enjoy taping and resetting?
View Quote

It's part of the deal. I don't know anyone that actually enjoys it but people that consider it beneath them are typically the reason USPSA has the reputation it does.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:20:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:

It's part of the deal. I don't know anyone that actually enjoys it but people that consider it beneath them are typically the reason USPSA has the reputation it does.
View Quote

Well, if nobody tapes or resets, you’ll be there all day.
If there’s a technological solution to that, I’m all for it:
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Stylz:

You're not wrong there. The Last match I shot, I was the only guy resetting after I just shot. The RO got pissed and yelled at evryone. Most matches (various ranges) only half of the squad resets consistently (if that).
View Quote

This is the only competitive sport that I know where the participants have to reset the playing field every iteration, even at the 'pro' level.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Well, if nobody tapes or resets, you’ll be there all day.
If there’s a technological solution to that, I’m all for it:
View Quote

Shoot bullseye where everyone is responsible for repairing their own target and the whole relay shoots at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I’m keeping an eye out for a old duck hunt video game with the shotgun toy
Gut the “gun” and put the guts in a AR upper with a fake barrel and solenoid to punch the bolt carrier to cycle the “weapon”
Good use for an old crt TV
With some reading there are mods to make the gun work with the LCD TVS now
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Lol that'd be cool
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kychas:
I'm keeping an eye out for a old duck hunt video game with the shotgun toy
Gut the "gun" and put the guts in a AR upper with a fake barrel and solenoid to punch the bolt carrier to cycle the "weapon"
Good use for an old crt TV
With some reading there are mods to make the gun work with the LCD TVS now

Lol that'd be cool

https://www.sindenshop.com/en-us

this lets you play it on an lcd.
I bought 2 of them so I could play the old lethal enforcers with both hands.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:57:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#30]
We got a chance to get our hands on the Ace Virtual Training System  a few weeks ago. While I was skeptical at first, after running a handful of stages I was sold. While I have many tools for making dry fire better including the Mantis X, the Coolfire Trainer, and DryFire Mag they tend to not get used as often as they should. While that's on me, a dry fire system that you're not using doesn't help you. Enter the ACE! This thing is a blast and I think we've shot around 35,000 rounds in the Ace so far.

The system works with the Meta Quest and the app requires a subscription, plus you'll want to pick their controller (pistol). There are currently two handsets available, one is a 320ish build and the other a Staccato. We had the Staccato in our review video below, but I've gotten to play with both. Both handsets are weighted so it feels as though you have a real firearm in your hand when using the system and I believe the Staccato is within 1 ounce of the real pistol.

With the company local to us in DFW we had Conor the Co-Founder of ACE come into the studio to talk about it. Check it out below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzvzWBPrTmc

Other notable items:

• They've recently announced a partnership with USPSA and will have over 30 qualifiers in the system.
  • Get reps tracking a red dot while shooting dynamic targets
  • Train with a dot or irons
  • Scoring is Hit Factor and Ace so you can use either
  • It features multiplayer so you can hit the range with the boys
  • You can cast to a TV or Phone so others can watch if you want to get competitive in the living room.
  • While there are many stationary drills, there are also full stages which require space if you have it.
  • There are zombies, whackamole and open range stages for folks wanting a less competitive experience.
  • There are Several pistols (Sig 320, Walther PDP, Staccato, Shadow 2, etc) and optics (SRO, RMR, 507Comp, etc) to choose from. With more coming soon
  • Increase the chances of getting your SO/Wife to shoot.
  • Casting to phone/tv helps you guide new shooters.

The Staccato Handset
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77030/Screenshot_2024-06-14_120157-3240626.png

Casting to screen
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77030/Screenshot_2024-06-14_120306-3240627.png

Current round count and cost savings
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77030/Screenshot_2024-06-14_120429-3240629.png

The Hut where you can pick your pistol/optic combo
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77030/Screenshot_2024-06-14_120328-3240630.png
View Quote

So how well does it translate to range shooting, since there is no recoil I assume? Also what is the directional accuracy i.e. is it actually accurate enough to shoot a group?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

So how well does it translate to range shooting, since there is no recoil I assume? Also what is the directional accuracy i.e. is it actually accurate enough to shoot a group?
View Quote

Wouldn't this be just as effective as dry fire but just short of live fire?

There might be a time soon when someone in a restricted country uses this unit for their daily and weekly practice and then comes to the US and wins a major tournament with loaner gear, much like that Japanese guy used to do with steel challenge.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Very neat.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#34]
hum....another thing afrcom made me spend money on. I got a meta quest 3 in a work drawing and it just been sitting there. now I have something to use with it. just signed up
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#36]
got my ship conformation it will be here tomorrow. I went with the 365 clone, since I shoot striker fired. cant wait to try it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#38]

This is the only competitive sport that I know where the participants have to reset the playing field every iteration, even at the 'pro' level.
View Quote

The SCCA's SOLO2 is the same. Drivers shag cones between their runs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#39]
The subscription model is a cash grab that I cannot support.  I don’t mind buying the app and buying updates, but I am not going to keep paying for the same app every month.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By FistPeso:
The subscription model is a cash grab that I cannot support.  I don’t mind buying the app and buying updates, but I am not going to keep paying for the same app every month.
View Quote

While I agree how much is a box of 9mm right now? .25 cpr? I was thinking about going gun shopping today, but now I'm seriously considering going all in on this. Anybody have an idea on the differences in the version 2 and 3 headsets? Any rumors of Ace releasing an AR handset?
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By billygoat69:

While I agree how much is a box of 9mm right now? .25 cpr? I was thinking about going gun shopping today, but now I'm seriously considering going all in on this. Anybody have an idea on the differences in the version 2 and 3 headsets? Any rumors of Ace releasing an AR handset?
View Quote

If the training value was similar to live ammo, I could somewhat get behind that logic, but I have my doubts.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By FistPeso:
View Quote

Yeah, thats a major turn off for me. Charge me more for the app, but fuck subscriptions.

Q2 vs Q3... That is the question. I wonder if they plan on moving to other headsets that I might own.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 6:00:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stylz] [#46]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 6:28:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#47]
I got a Quest 3 2 (guess I need to upgrade) for Christmas 2022. Haven't used it for some time. This looks worthwhile. I'll probably jump in this.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#48]
does the staccato have a working thumb safety
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Any chance they’re coming out with a Jimenez Arms JA-25 model, since that’s my carry piece?
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#50]
I can’t see VR as a good tool for marksmanship training because physical aiming and virtual aiming are never going to be precisely calibrated to one another. Imagine the training artifact from 50,000 reps with your physical POA 50moa low for example. Under the hood you have no idea where you’re *realy* aiming.

Better to use a SIM with a projected image you actually aim at instead of decoupling your eye-sight from your aim.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top