Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I've only put a few hundred rds through mine so far and I run the 3 prong on my 10.3, so far Its holding up fine. I chose the FH because I can't afford to shoot thousands a year and I will not run a brake on a duty or home defense rifle. After reading JShepard put 13k rounds through his, I'm not worried about it wearing out anytime soon.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've only put a few hundred rds through mine so far and I run the 3 prong on my 10.3, so far Its holding up fine. I chose the FH because I can't afford to shoot thousands a year and I will not run a brake on a duty or home defense rifle. After reading JShepard put 13k rounds through his, I'm not worried about it wearing out anytime soon.
View Quote

Thanks, That was exactly what I was looking for was the info on JShepards posts'.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#3]
any updates on a titanium version?
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I've asked this question several times and I have received several different answers, so I am asking again.

How well does the 7.62 SOCOM cans fit on the 5.56 SOCOM mounts and on the 5.56 Legacy mounts?

I am still waiting on the paperwork to clear on my 7.62 Mini-SOCOM so I can't test this my self.  I really hope it works well on my firearms with Legacy mounts.

And on a side note, I would love to see Surefire offer the legacy mount with the improved 3 prongs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've asked this question several times and I have received several different answers, so I am asking again.

How well does the 7.62 SOCOM cans fit on the 5.56 SOCOM mounts and on the 5.56 Legacy mounts?

I am still waiting on the paperwork to clear on my 7.62 Mini-SOCOM so I can't test this my self.  I really hope it works well on my firearms with Legacy mounts.

And on a side note, I would love to see Surefire offer the legacy mount with the improved 3 prongs.
View Quote

762 SOCOM fits and locks up perfectly on 762 or 556 SOCOM mounts.  Nothing to worry about there.

I can't attest to how a 762 SOCOM fits on a 556 legacy mount, as i've never tried it and no longer have any 556 legacy mounts.

As discussed, 556 SOCOM cans fit on 556 legacy mounts.  I would expect the same with a 762 SOCOM and 556 legacy mount, but can't say for sure.

Do you have pinned legacy mounts?  That's about the only reason I can think of as to why you wouldn't just change to SOCOM mounts...?
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure if this is much help to you, but I just mounted my 762RC on my 5.56 gun with a SFMB-556 brake. It mounted and locked onto the brake exactly the same way it does on the 3 prong flash hider on my .308 gun.

I haven't shot the 5.56 gun with the 762RC mounted, and I don't intend to. I'm sure it would work just fine, but I don't see the point. My 556RC transfer should be approved in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#7]
The legacy mounts DO NOT work with the new cans. The product description on the new cans is specific about this. Not only do they have different dimensions, the cans also index differently. The old mounts and cans index off a tab at the front of the muzzle device while the new ones index on the tab at the back of the new muzzle devices. You will need new muzzle devices, that's the bottom line.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Not true. Garin has said many times that SOCOM suppressors will mount and work just fine on legacy mounts, you just don't have the indexing tab. Legacy suppressors will not mount on SOCOM muzzle devices.

ETA: Proof
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The legacy mounts DO NOT work with the new cans. The product description on the new cans is specific about this. Not only do they have different dimensions, the cans also index differently. The old mounts and cans index off a tab at the front of the muzzle device while the new ones index on the tab at the back of the new muzzle devices. You will need new muzzle devices, that's the bottom line.
View Quote

I have heard both yes and no from Surefire reps, that is why I have been asking owners of the cans what their experience is.

I have an old 556K can that isn't going to be retired any time soon, so I invested in the ablity to use legacy mounts.  Pulling the legacy mounts off and replacing them all with SOCOM mounts would render me unable to use my 5.56 can, and be very expensive.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Incorrect.  SOCOM cans WILL mount on legacy mounts, but legacy cans will NOT mount on SOCOM mounts.  

SOCOM cans will NOT lock up on legacy mounts, because they don't have the locking tab.

ETA:  Went out to try and find the below, but the Coyote got to it first

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok....Once again.  YES you can mount a SOCOM series suppressor on a legacy adapter. You will not have the indexing system. It will NOT rotate "freely". You can force the suppressor to rotate around the axis of the bore with some force. It will not shoot loose or rotate during shooting.

You CANNOT put a Legacy suppressor on a SOCOM series adapter. The Legacy suppressors have a index pin inside of the back section that mates up with a slot or notch on the legacy adapters. The SOCOM adapters do not have the slot or notch so the index pin in the suppressor will hit the front of the SOCOM series adapter and stop the suppressor from going on fully to rotate the lock ring correctly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok....Once again.  YES you can mount a SOCOM series suppressor on a legacy adapter. You will not have the indexing system. It will NOT rotate "freely". You can force the suppressor to rotate around the axis of the bore with some force. It will not shoot loose or rotate during shooting.

You CANNOT put a Legacy suppressor on a SOCOM series adapter. The Legacy suppressors have a index pin inside of the back section that mates up with a slot or notch on the legacy adapters. The SOCOM adapters do not have the slot or notch so the index pin in the suppressor will hit the front of the SOCOM series adapter and stop the suppressor from going on fully to rotate the lock ring correctly.
View Quote

Thanks Garin.....Again

Ill edit my post where it says "freely".  I didn't mean it truly rotates "freely", but definitely don't want to cause anymore confusion.  Before I sold the last of my legacy mounts, I was truly surprised how tight the SOCOM mounted to the legacy mounts.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#13]
So has anyone ever done the sound comparison to see how quiet these can are.

There is a vid on You Tube that makes the Socom sound like one of the louder 762 choices. Does not look like the vid is rigged but definitely sounds louder than its competition???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmarHvk1SV0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7BoVhoMlYU

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There is a vid on You Tube that makes the Socom sound like one of the louder 762 choices. Does not look like the vid is rigged but definitely sounds louder than its competition???

View Quote

That means it may actually be quieter.

Seriously. Cameras damp sound that is very loud at all, so maybe the camera damped the SF can LESS because it was QUIETER, so it picked up MORE of the sound?

I'm not saying that's the case. You can look at the dB ratings in Surefire's catalog. They appear to be dead-on with independent tests I have seen. Dunno what the fuss is about, I just stated the above as a point: YouTube is not the place to compare suppressors.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 3:38:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Seriously. Cameras damp sound that is very loud at all, so maybe the camera damped the SF can LESS because it was QUIETER, so it picked up MORE of the sound?

I'm not saying that's the case. You can look at the dB ratings in Surefire's catalog. They appear to be dead-on with independent tests I have seen. Dunno what the fuss is about, I just stated the above as a point: YouTube is not the place to compare suppressors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only specs I've seen is on the website and there isn't any suppression rating or db or guidelines per certain length barrels. This might sound like a dumb question but where is the Surefire catalog with these sound ratings?
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The only specs I've seen is on the website and there isn't any suppression rating or db or guidelines per certain length barrels. This might sound like a dumb question but where is the Surefire catalog with these sound ratings?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is this, and you're correct. All 20" barrels.
http://www.surefire.com/media/wysiwyg/main_site_pdfs/Suppressor%20Brochure-med_ps.pdf
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Not trying to knock the surefire just looking for info. I have actually bought 3 SOCOMs over the past year and just took delivery of the first one - 762 mini. The Saker was just a rumor when I started buying and my thought was to start keeping everything the same as I already went down the YHM Phantom road and don't wanna have too many mounts and suppressor combos where I start needing more rifles sbr's and carbines again.

My thought with a suppressor is it needs to be quiet!!! I am not going to war and TSR /no flash isn't as important to me. Went through this a year ago where dad bought a outback 2 and I got the huntertown guardian 22 arms because it was cheaper and easier to service. The outback definitely sounds better.

So I am hoping that the Surefire spces, even with the 20" barrel are correct. Part of the reason I have respect for Silencerco is they do lab type testing with the competition. Here is the Silencerco 223's vs AAC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be-7ZUkbUhI

This data backs up the AAC specs - their claim is 32-34bd and this test shows the 32bd on an 18" barrel. Both the Saker and Specwar does better than their sales brochure claims. I would love to hear/see the difference with the Surefire. People that say you can't hear the difference between a bd or 2 I bet have never been to a good stereo shop where the sales guys turn the volume up or down one db on a good set of speakers and asks louder or quieter. You CAN hear the difference epically when you get into the 2db range. Now granted there isn't a supersonic bullet cracking at the same time with a bolt is slamming back into battery right next to your ear. But a db or two is definitely distinguishable - so all those guys that say I'll kiss your A$$ if you can tell the difference - consider me bending over bare butt exposed.

For the record I bought Surefire because I thought they are the best suppressors on the market. Ya the Specwar and Saker are a little bigger and heavier but I am starting to wonder if a little quieter might have been a better decision. I mean I did buy one of the 556 minis and know that I am trading weight and length for performance but at the same time think to me a suppressor is all about suppression. I am just really getting into cans and over the past two years have bought more than my fair share as I'm worried about potential trust restrictions moving forward so have been just buying whats in stock locally without much research. Now that the money is spent I am looking for the finer details. Its a shame Surefire doesn't test their products against the comp like Sliencerco. BTW I had to buy a harvestor just because its a direct thread and I spent too much time on Silencerco's website.

Hell I might have to get Silencerco's wizard staff next to make sure I have one of everything...

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 1:50:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not trying to knock the surefire just looking for info. I have actually bought 3 SOCOMs over the past year and just took delivery of the first one - 762 mini. The Saker was just a rumor when I started buying and my thought was to start keeping everything the same as I already went down the YHM Phantom road and don't wanna have too many mounts and suppressor combos where I start needing more rifles sbr's and carbines again.
Surefire suppressors are typically 1/2-1" shorter than their competition, and subsequently usually an oz or two lighter. In all of the 3rd party testing I have seen, they are typically VERY close to other top-end competitors in sound-mitigation. Maybe an un-detectable by the ear touch louder, but they are also a touch more handy.

My thought with a suppressor is it needs to be quiet!!! I am not going to war and TSR /no flash isn't as important to me. Went through this a year ago where dad bought a outback 2 and I got the huntertown guardian 22 arms because it was cheaper and easier to service. The outback definitely sounds better.
Surefire suppressors are quiet, but the TSR in your case is "added value". For some customers, though, it's the whole enchilada. Another HUGE benefit of Surefire is their low back-pressure. Ejection-port noise is louder than the muzzle-blast on the M4 platform with a suppressor. The lower the back-pressure, the quieter YOU will perceive the event, due to the ejection port being the loudest assault on your hearing, after the sonic crack of the bullet itself. This is why people shooting "mini" cans on their M4's sometimes say they are just as, if not more quiet than the full-size suppressor. Also...the machines agree, see below. Look at the M4-2000 and the Mini4 at the shooter's ear.

So I am hoping that the Surefire spces, even with the 20" barrel are correct. Part of the reason I have respect for Silencerco is they do lab type testing with the competition. Here is the Silencerco 223's vs AAC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be-7ZUkbUhI
It is harder to find independent data on Surefire, mainly because the suppressors are expensive, and they don't give them out. I have data from 3rd party sources, and even a couple of Surefire's competitors. The sound difference between a Surefire and other leading company suppressor of similar size is going to be very minimal. What WILL be different though, is tone. This is what causes so much "argument" over "loud" vs. "quiet". Different tones at the same dB are going to SOUND louder or quieter than others. For example, 135dB at 3500kHz is going to sound quieter than 135dB at 4000kHz...unless you have pre-existing hearing damage. In that case, wherever your ears are damaged, is where it will be quieter, as you can't hear so hot there. So if you REALLY! want to get all into this, you can do 1 of two things. 1, you can take the maximum SPL of the suppressors, as published, and go on that, OR you can go and get yourself an audiogram, discover where your hearing-loss is at most, and pick a suppressor that peaks closest to those frequency ranges, as it will sound quieter to you (while making that frequency range worse-off, but hey...you should we wearing ears, anyway!).  The second method is too geeky for me, so I picked the suppressor with the best mounting system. They all are within spitting distance of each other on SPL.

This data backs up the AAC specs - their claim is 32-34bd and this test shows the 32bd on an 18" barrel. Both the Saker and Specwar does better than their sales brochure claims. I would love to hear/see the difference with the Surefire. People that say you can't hear the difference between a bd or 2 I bet have never been to a good stereo shop where the sales guys turn the volume up or down one db on a good set of speakers and asks louder or quieter. You CAN hear the difference epically when you get into the 2db range. Now granted there isn't a supersonic bullet cracking at the same time with a bolt is slamming back into battery right next to your ear. But a db or two is definitely distinguishable - so all those guys that say I'll kiss your A$$ if you can tell the difference - consider me bending over bare butt exposed.
I can hear a 2-3dB difference, yes. However, tone is more important, I think, than a couple of dB, as I said before.

For the record I bought Surefire because I thought they are the best suppressors on the market. Ya the Specwar and Saker are a little bigger and heavier but I am starting to wonder if a little quieter might have been a better decision. I mean I did buy one of the 556 minis and know that I am trading weight and length for performance but at the same time think to me a suppressor is all about suppression. I am just really getting into cans and over the past two years have bought more than my fair share as I'm worried about potential trust restrictions moving forward so have been just buying whats in stock locally without much research. Now that the money is spent I am looking for the finer details. Its a shame Surefire doesn't test their products against the comp like Sliencerco. BTW I had to buy a harvestor just because its a direct thread and I spent too much time on Silencerco's website.

Hell I might have to get Silencerco's wizard staff next to make sure I have one of everything...

View Quote

This picture of a sound test will give you something to think about...backpressure and port-noise...it matters, and Surefire does VERY well on back-pressure reduction, ESPECIALLY their SOCOM suppressors.

(FYI, the 3rd party data I have from multiple sources on the Surefire 556-212's put them within "who cares?" distance of the M4-2000's dB reduction at the muzzle on similar weapons).

Surefire's suppressors and customer support are excellent. Sadly, this industry is super emotional, competitive, and dirty. Since we are talking about hearing, it's also ridiculously subjective.

Ever diagnose automotive driveline noises with your Dad or someone older (or younger?) than you? HAH! Talk about an argument about "I don't hear anything...". Now...how do you think people are going to agree on suppressors when most good one's have a 1-3dB spread across the whole playing field, and different "tones" and then back-pressure comes into plan and overgassed systems and...yeah. It's going to be a dirty argument-filled encounter.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 4:59:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not true. Garin has said many times that SOCOM suppressors will mount and work just fine on legacy mounts, you just don't have the indexing tab. Legacy suppressors will not mount on SOCOM muzzle devices.

View Quote

Good info.  Been told the same thing by Garin (great guy btw, very responsive).

I'll be comparing the 556-212 and SOCOM 762 mini here shortly on 5.56 SBRs, and getting footage of the 762mini on 300BLK SBRs, and 700 bolt guns. I'll be sure to link a vid here.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Do you have the comparative data for the surefire 556 rc? Did silencerforum test that?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do you have the comparative data for the surefire 556 rc? Did silencerforum test that?
View Quote

I have no data on it except that Garin Lee says it is within environmental variance of the 556-212, sound wise.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trolling. You're a "silencer manufacturer", you know damn well when Bryon did those tests, and then immediately stopped testing. You're also apparently an expert on silencer testing, so you comment is even more obvious.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#24]
GreenO has always been trolling other manufactures. Maybe someday they will invest in 50K worth of sound equipment and have the staff to conduct non stop testing and they can answer their own questions instead of relying on others to provide them "data" that they in turn actually trust.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I have to say to 12 thanks for the input. Very good info and think I will sleep better at night...

I like the word emotional as I have experienced that feeling of oh lord I just spent how much for suppressors that aren't the quietest on the market...

I think in general I am pretty happy with my purchases over all and really do enjoy shooting. Like everyone else I like to have great gear and worry about someone else having something a little fancier then mine and that's probably driving me search for info confirming I have the "best"

The whole tone issue makes total sense as I have been a gun and stereo guy since being a teenager and say "HUH" a lot.

The AAC data looks great and knew the muzzle/ear ratings were definitely going to come into play. One question I have is what does the big ol "SF" logo on those screen shot mean???
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
One question I have is what does the big ol "SF" logo on those screen shot mean???
View Quote

Silencer Forum.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Are the 3-prong flash hiders for the 5.56 and 7.62 being replaced by brakes?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

No, what brought that about?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Went to my usual favorite sites to purchase some and some places don't even list the 3-prong any more, though a month ago they were there. Doesn't even show up as "out of stock"--they're just gone.

Thought I'd ask to make sure.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
GreenO has always been trolling other manufactures. Maybe someday they will invest in 50K worth of sound equipment and have the staff to conduct non stop testing and they can answer their own questions instead of relying on others to provide them "data" that they in turn actually trust.
View Quote

I think you guys should buy a decomissioned NASA space shuttle. Then you can tell all naysayers that you exclusively test cans in the space shuttle and they need a space shuttle to officially test the products.

I shot an rc on a 16" tavor last week. It sounded like 135db to my ear.  I would have tested it but our m4sd 2 was mounted on a 14.5" m4sd and a comparison would have been pointless without identical host weapons.  

The rc appeared to be  a 212 with a different front cap and four holes in the blast baffle.  The mount was neat but the .007" deep fine ratchet teeth looked a little wear prone to me. Obviously the customer could push the button whenever installing or removing the can to reduce the likelihood of wear.

Btw I have 3 b&k meters.  I can test anything you want to send out to mil-std (we test our own products fairly often) obviously it wouldnt make sense for me to purchase your products to provide your customers with information that otherwise doesn't exist anywhere else.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think you guys should buy a decomissioned NASA space shuttle. Then you can tell all naysayers that you exclusively test cans in the space shuttle and they need a space shuttle to officially test the products.

I shot an rc on a 16" tavor last week. It sounded like 135db to my ear.  I would have tested it but our m4sd 2 was mounted on a 14.5" m4sd and a comparison would have been pointless without identical host weapons.  

The rc appeared to be  a 212 with a different front cap and four holes in the blast baffle.  The mount was neat but the .007" deep fine ratchet teeth looked a little wear prone to me. Obviously the customer could push the button whenever installing or removing the can to reduce the likelihood of wear.

Btw I have 3 b&k meters.  I can test anything you want to send out to mil-std (we test our own products fairly often) obviously it wouldnt make sense for me to purchase your products to provide your customers with information that otherwise doesn't exist anywhere else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-135db sounds about like what I'd expect, give or take for environmental variances.
-multiple independent data sources exist. They back surefires claims within normal variances.
-the teeth you refer to are for audible and tactile feedback. Not for retention. You could sand them off and the pawl would retain integrity of lockup.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Went to my usual favorite sites to purchase some and some places don't even list the 3-prong any more, though a month ago they were there. Doesn't even show up as "out of stock"--they're just gone.

Thought I'd ask to make sure.
View Quote

SF 3P FH's

ROG Tactical - listed but OOS
ADCO - In Stock
DSG - In Stock

ETA:  SilencerShop has them in stock as well
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Allow me to translate....

Snark Snark, even though I build and test out of a garage compared to you guys.

I've saw your new product once. I didn't have a meter and even though I routinely talk about the hearing loss I've suffered in the military, I can attest that using solely my calibrated ear - your product is right in the middle of the pack and definitely no louder, although that's opposite of all my previous claims - I'll now assign a completely arbitrary number to my calculated ear: 135 dee bees feels right.  I would have tested my own superior product but apparently switching off muzzles devices is REALLY HARD!!!

I think your product is an evolution of your previous, and for this I'll imply a negative connotation! I think each design should be completely thrown out every revision, the only new product is a NEW product after all! While I'm mocking you for revising your already very successful product, I'll impose my ignorance about how your new design actually works with some speculated non-sense regarding "tooth failure".

I have lots of old devices that compared to you modern computerized setup seem outright laughable. Being able to buy things on ebay makes me an expert.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've saw your new product once. I didn't have a meter and even though I routinely talk about the hearing loss I've suffered in the military, I can attest that using solely my calibrated ear - your product is right in the middle of the pack and definitely no louder, although that's opposite of all my previous claims - I'll now assign a completely arbitrary number to my calculated ear: 135 dee bees feels right.  I would have tested my own superior product but apparently switching off muzzles devices is REALLY HARD!!!

I think your product is an evolution of your previous, and for this I'll imply a negative connotation! I think each design should be completely thrown out every revision, the only new product is a NEW product after all! While I'm mocking you for revising your already very successful product, I'll impose my ignorance about how your new design actually works with some speculated non-sense regarding "tooth failure".

I have lots of old devices that compared to you modern computerized setup seem outright laughable. Being able to buy things on ebay makes me an expert.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay that one had me laughing.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#35]
elbows are getting sharp round here
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think it's interesting that people see my posts on the peculiar lack of information surrounding Surefire products as a statement that they are terrible products. Rather I've tried to find information to use to have an opinion of the products. 135 is actually what I would consider to be decent performance.  The suppressor had a nice sound on the 16" barrel. I wasn't able to subjectively get an opinion of @ ear pressure levels as the tavor's ejection port is ~2" from the shooters ear and not comparable to my experience with predominantly Ar-15's.  I was told not to remove ear pro as the @ ear on the Tavor was loud so I didn't.

The Tavor wasn't mine.  I don't make it a practice to ask people if I can remove their muzzle devices on the range.  

I don't understand why it should be taboo for me to talk about hearing loss I DO have, or how it happened, especially when people are suggesting that an ear behind the bore of an M16 is protected somehow from damage (which I clearly know to be false).  

I didn't mock the concept of the RC being based on the 212.  I'm only suggesting that it appears to be and sounds like a 212 should sound, and a 212 is a can we have that single AAC test to compare to.

I would be surprised if the latch would operate in the absence of ratchet teeth, and if it will, that would be worth demonstrating.  

As far as I am aware, both the Pulse and 2209 are class 1 instruments. Given that the performance specs are DB in A-weighting, that would mean both systems should spit out the same information, and actually would use the same 1/4" microphones for firearms testing.  The unique qualities of the Pulse system pertain to spectrum analysis as far as I am aware.  Spectrum analysis of sound frequencies which is very much more complex and abstract as it pertains to sound suppressors than A-weighted mil-std peak sound pressure level measurements which provide simple, comparable, hard specification data.  

The 2209 is the same sound meter that AAC used until ~2007, and that Ops Inc used in the development of the suppressor line the Surefire products are most similar to in internal technology.  Many companies still use the 2209, while some use the similar Larson Davis 800B, and others more recently have gone to the National instruments LabVIEW system which is a computer based system like the Pulse.  Given that computer systems require dragging a computer to the range, it would not surprise me if some of the companies owning them also used more portable systems at times.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Where does Green0 work?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Just snail mailed my form 4 5.56rc!
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think it's interesting that people see my posts on the peculiar lack of information surrounding Surefire products as a statement that they are terrible products. Rather I've tried to find information to use to have an opinion of the products. 135 is actually what I would consider to be decent performance.  The suppressor had a nice sound on the 16" barrel. I wasn't able to subjectively get an opinion of @ ear pressure levels as the tavor's ejection port is ~2" from the shooters ear and not comparable to my experience with predominantly Ar-15's.  I was told not to remove ear pro as the @ ear on the Tavor was loud so I didn't.

The Tavor wasn't mine.  I don't make it a practice to ask people if I can remove their muzzle devices on the range.  

I don't understand why it should be taboo for me to talk about hearing loss I DO have, or how it happened, especially when people are suggesting that an ear behind the bore of an M16 is protected somehow from damage (which I clearly know to be false).  

I didn't mock the concept of the RC being based on the 212.  I'm only suggesting that it appears to be and sounds like a 212 should sound, and a 212 is a can we have that single AAC test to compare to.

I would be surprised if the latch would operate in the absence of ratchet teeth, and if it will, that would be worth demonstrating.  

As far as I am aware, both the Pulse and 2209 are class 1 instruments. Given that the performance specs are DB in A-weighting, that would mean both systems should spit out the same information, and actually would use the same 1/4" microphones for firearms testing.  The unique qualities of the Pulse system pertain to spectrum analysis as far as I am aware.  Spectrum analysis of sound frequencies which is very much more complex and abstract as it pertains to sound suppressors than A-weighted mil-std peak sound pressure level measurements which provide simple, comparable, hard specification data.  

The 2209 is the same sound meter that AAC used until ~2007, and that Ops Inc used in the development of the suppressor line the Surefire products are most similar to in internal technology.  Many companies still use the 2209, while some use the similar Larson Davis 800B, and others more recently have gone to the National instruments LabVIEW system which is a computer based system like the Pulse.  Given that computer systems require dragging a computer to the range, it would not surprise me if some of the companies owning them also used more portable systems at times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost all of the "headliners" are spitting out 135dB +-2 on a 16" carbine.

Where it gets interesting is the sound at the shooter's ear due to port noise. This is where backpressure can play a +- 3-4dB role.

Still, none are "hearing safe". 139dB is not "hearing safe". 140dB is an OSHA thing. Your ear doesn't magically not suffer damage at 139dB.

Hearing loss is cumulative and so on and so forth. I know you know this, Green0, but some people might now, and I just happened to quote you*

Anyway, I think the real performance matrices for a suppressor today are: Backpressure, flash rediction, size/weight, and mount. The sound is all so close to the same that noone really advertises it much anymore. Have you noticed that? Sure, they post data for it, but the real emphasis seems to be on the mounts, the baffle material, the endcap design, the modularity, etc.etc.etc.

We have hit a "wall" currently at around135dB on this platform. Some may squeak by at a bit less, some a bit more, but really, it's nearly a moot point they are all so close.

This is why I am such a Surefire fan. The mount system is great. The suppressors are light and small, comparatively, they offer reduced backpressure (my first real exposure to this was a Noveske carbine I bought. Noveske uses the M4-2000 as their suppressor to tune their switchblocks to, as I understand. Anyway, with my 556-212, and the SB in the "S" setting, cycling was VERY sedate. Too weak, actually, once it got dirty it was prone to issue.  This is the -212, not even the SOCOM RC! Also, Noveske recommended H buffers for their Blackouts and Surefire 762K cans and H2 buffers for the AAC 'N6's.)  Further is the great CS I get from Surefire. It's not just me, either. Surefire has really become extremely responsive and accommodating to their civilian market. I see threads on other forums of them BUILDING  A CUSTOM MOUNT for a guy who bought a Ruger that had a funky barrel taper or something. Oh...and fixing his baffle strike caused by the same issue. I have not gotten my SOCOM cans in yet to compare flash, but I have seen YouTube videos, and they do seem to do a great job.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:31:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Where does Green0 work?
View Quote

GreenO is 1/2 iirc of Griffin Armament... If you don't know who they are, perhaps you could google "Front Towards Arabs"... A mistake they made awhile back, which I can forgive them for, but only if they would seem to put more thought into their words and actions before they hit SUBMIT on things... Which does not yet seem to be the case.

... Why is a small mfg trolling a large mfg's thread? I really couldn't tell you that.

Nothing against GreenO really, it's just that his post was laughable so I made it even more so.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The repeatable POI is awesome on these cans.

I use mine in 3-gun, and the longer shots are no problem even after running around with a hot gun.

I beat the crap out of this can and it shows ZERO signs of any performance ore useability loss.

Shot side by side with AAC and Silencerco cans, and they all sound the exact same to my ears. There are only slight tone variations.

Pic of when the cans were new.....

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x115/coctailer/null-63.jpg

My 212 office gun.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x115/coctailer/1645C7D9-29EB-48CD-8AC3-F1B7FD172D39.jpg
View Quote
Is the top gun in the top pic a socom 556 mini? If so, how do you like it?

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The repeatable POI is awesome on these cans.

I use mine in 3-gun, and the longer shots are no problem even after running around with a hot gun.

I beat the crap out of this can and it shows ZERO signs of any performance ore useability loss.

Shot side by side with AAC and Silencerco cans, and they all sound the exact same to my ears. There are only slight tone variations.

Pic of when the cans were new.....

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x115/coctailer/null-63.jpg

My 212 office gun.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x115/coctailer/1645C7D9-29EB-48CD-8AC3-F1B7FD172D39.jpg

+1, also...what barrel length/gas system/who's barrel? What does the ejection pattern alter suppressed/unsuppressed (ex: 3:30 unsuppressed, 2:30 suppressed. This is the only way I know to measure backpressure via the internet, lol!)
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#44]
... because I know myself, and my habits...

I have one SOCOM556-RC... should I grab a second -RC or should I grab a mini?

I have 0 plans with going to a different caliber at this time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

For essentially the same money (from somewhere like Silencer Shop, anyways) you could get something like a 762Mini SOCOM and then if you did decide to move in the .30 caliber world, you're already setup for it
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

For essentially the same money (from somewhere like Silencer Shop, anyways) you could get something like a 762Mini SOCOM and then if you did decide to move in the .30 caliber world, you're already setup for it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair advice, but the 762MiniSocom seems like an alternative to the 556-RC to me, not much of a supplmement as they are identical size and weight.

If you know you shoot 556 and will shoot it around people that don't shoot suppressed... The mini can makes a lot of sense imo. Esp when you get into guns with non-adjustable gas systems.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Fair advice, but the 762MiniSocom seems like an alternative to the 556-RC to me, not much of a supplmement as they are identical size and weight.

If you know you shoot 556 and will shoot it around people that don't shoot suppressed... The mini can makes a lot of sense imo. Esp when you get into guns with non-adjustable gas systems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the mini would live on my SBR that has a Switchblock, my primary HD gun
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right. I guess my post was geared more towards, if you're looking at adding a 2nd -RC, why not go ahead and get a 762Mini.

That's what i'd do, anyways.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Right. I guess my post was geared more towards, if you're looking at adding a 2nd -RC, why not go ahead and get a 762Mini.

That's what i'd do, anyways.
View Quote

I really don't think you could go wrong either way. "Hearing safe" isn't happening on an AR, so they are all "hearing safer"... I waffle about which setup is the most versatile, with sometimes thinking the 556Mini+762Mini+762RC is the way to go,

but the 556-RC is like 1" and 2oz over than the Mini... So... I guess it's really not a deal breaker.... Now... If SF did a Ti 556 Mini that was significantly lighter than the 556-RC... well... I'd have to consider it. But I'm certain I wouldn't want to pay that price. SF has made some progress, but still has some work to do on their consumer pricing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top