User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just how young do you think I am?!?!
View Quote
Most of my left leg is titanium, so I'll probably be in the 52yo category as well.

Turns out, breaking your leg takes a very, very long time to heal
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

At the risk of being a pussy, a 3mph trail pace while burdened is extremely aggressive if you aren't 6ft tall, and aren't hiking for only an hour or two, max.  I sure hope they're including jogging or something in that figure, because a lot of folks will over-extend their stride trying to reach it & kill their joints.

I've hiked ten-mile-days in Guadalupe in August, fifteen in Aspen, twelve in Kawaii, and many more avg around 11 most places; with a 45lb (total) pack 2.5mph is the best I ever managed for a significant duration, and on fairly level terrain at that.  I'm not "highly skilled" or "expert" or in peak condition, but I'm not a neophyte, either.  The only guys I ever knew hiking faster than 3mph were also talented athletes in their highschool prime.

The ABB experience curve as it stands is gonna be very steep if not impossible for folks that aren't already doing recreational Iron Man's (maybe that's the demographic they're going for, but the description sounded like they wanted a broader membership pool)
View Quote
I'm not sure I'm on board with this Battle Buddy thing.  It sounds like a great idea, but just not realistic for most of us.

However, 3 mph was the pace we used in the Marines (peacetime, non-infantry).  Our packs were 50-75 pounds.  We hiked 10-20 miles.  We were sore the next day.  We called this a hump, most would call it a forced march.  They were not fun.  They did show how a battalion can move 30 miles in a day (although we never actually hiked that far).  We only did this a few times per year.

So, this blistering (pun intended) pace doesn't seem realistic to me for the average person not in the best shape of their life.  I think this is similar to what you're saying, but from a slightly different perspective.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm not sure I'm on board with this Battle Buddy thing.  It sounds like a great idea, but just not realistic for most of us.

However, 3 mph was the pace we used in the Marines (peacetime, non-infantry).  Our packs were 50-75 pounds.  We hiked 10-20 miles.  We were sore the next day.  We called this a hump, most would call it a forced march.  They were not fun.  They did show how a battalion can move 30 miles in a day (although we never actually hiked that far).  We only did this a few times per year.

So, this blistering (pun intended) pace doesn't seem realistic to me for the average person not in the best shape of their life.  I think this is similar to what you're saying, but from a slightly different perspective.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the risk of being a pussy, a 3mph trail pace while burdened is extremely aggressive if you aren't 6ft tall, and aren't hiking for only an hour or two, max.  I sure hope they're including jogging or something in that figure, because a lot of folks will over-extend their stride trying to reach it & kill their joints.

I've hiked ten-mile-days in Guadalupe in August, fifteen in Aspen, twelve in Kawaii, and many more avg around 11 most places; with a 45lb (total) pack 2.5mph is the best I ever managed for a significant duration, and on fairly level terrain at that.  I'm not "highly skilled" or "expert" or in peak condition, but I'm not a neophyte, either.  The only guys I ever knew hiking faster than 3mph were also talented athletes in their highschool prime.

The ABB experience curve as it stands is gonna be very steep if not impossible for folks that aren't already doing recreational Iron Man's (maybe that's the demographic they're going for, but the description sounded like they wanted a broader membership pool)

Now, would you say the people who chose to be Marines & made it through were Everymen, or did they tend to be large, talented, capable athletes in their prime?

Are even the entry level ABB supposed to be elite (maybe not in the old Farm Strong days, but certainly by today's low standards) in fitness so they can hang with America's trained military units, or is it "grown up Boyscouts" more focused on team building, basic fitness/self-improvement, and leadership for common civilians who lack those things?

If it's gonna be a mashup of CrossFit and the VFW... I'm gonna have to bow out.  As will most everyone who isn't already a veteran and athlete.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Come if it is your cup of tea.  Don't if it's not.

The threads are in GD, it is what it is.

Group of guys who are gonna do what we can.  Don't wanna be a part, no hard feelings here.

Got a better idea, start another group, maybe I will participate in your group too, if I like it.

There is not immediate all the marbles, the plan is to work up.  If you are in better shape, go faster or load down your pack more.  Find ways to be part of the team, or simply make your own team.

LIBERTY.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:06:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Come if it is your cup of tea.  Don't if it's not.

The threads are in GD, it is what it is.

Group of guys who are gonna do what we can.  Don't wanna be a part, no hard feelings here.

Got a better idea, start another group, maybe I will participate in your group too, if I like it.

There is not immediate all the marbles, the plan is to work up.  If you are in better shape, go faster or load down your pack more.  Find ways to be part of the team, or simply make your own team.

LIBERTY.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#6]
In all seriousness, if there are any mountain bike types in my AO, I'd be happy to meet up at Rowlett Creek or Squabble Creek on a regular basis for some pedal spinning.  My knees are way past running, but I can put a hurt on some singletrack.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Now, would you say the people who chose to be Marines & made it through were Everymen, or did they tend to be large, talented, capable athletes in their prime?
View Quote
I said I was agreeing with you.  Marines came from all walks of life and were all different sizes.  Tiny little Viet dudes, big giant Samoan dudes, and everything in between.  My main point was that this wasn't some easy thing for Marines to do.

I understand that we're talking about shorter distances, but that's a hardcore pace.  Not realistic, IMO.

I haven't read any of the GD threads (I avoid that cesspool), so I'm not sure whether this is some giant initiative that is set in stone and this is the scorecard if you want to be one of the cool kids, or whether these are just goals that are going to be adjusted once people realize that Joe Sixpack isn't going to be capable of the same things as young, trained Marines or soldiers are capable of.

I'm not even sure I have any time to dedicate to something like this, but it sounds cool.  I'd sure like to find the time to test my gear, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:18:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Ditto on the old guys. I ain’t gonna drive a couple of hours to run around with 50lbs of gear to trek 7 or 8 miles over an obstacle course.

I’m gonna stick with the cub scouts.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:25:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I was curious on the pace too, I was surprised there was not an adjustment for terrain or elevation change.  "Hiking" varies a lot depending on where you are.  Some of the faster paces people are thinking about are probably road marches, which at least has reasonable footing, limited navigation, etc.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I said I was agreeing with you.  Marines came from all walks of life and were all different sizes.  Tiny little Viet dudes, big giant Samoan dudes, and everything in between.  My main point was that this wasn't some easy thing for Marines to do.

I understand that we're talking about shorter distances, but that's a hardcore pace.  Not realistic, IMO.

I haven't read any of the GD threads (I avoid that cesspool), so I'm not sure whether this is some giant initiative that is set in stone and this is the scorecard if you want to be one of the cool kids, or whether these are just goals that are going to be adjusted once people realize that Joe Sixpack isn't going to be capable of the same things as young, trained Marines or soldiers are capable of.

I'm not even sure I have any time to dedicate to something like this, but it sounds cool.  I'd sure like to find the time to test my gear, that's for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe folks in the GD thread had mentioned the Marines as well, only to justify the pace, which as you/I say isn't realistic.  I think 2.5mph with gear should be the figure for base-level rank, whether that means changing the current rule or adding Webelos

I'm not worried about the goal posts; they will be adjusted accordingly if the group is to survive.  A lot of fitness/outdoor adventure folks are highly lefty, so pulling from that set alone will yield a tiny militia.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was curious on the pace too, I was surprised there was not an adjustment for terrain or elevation change.  "Hiking" varies a lot depending on where you are.  Some of the faster paces people are thinking about are probably road marches, which at least has reasonable footing, limited navigation, etc.
View Quote
Weather, too; whatever your fast march pace, it'll kill you in a humid Texan summer afternoon.  And a cold Minnesota winter as well from sweat hypothermia, if you have to camp afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I walk 3 miles 3-4 times a week from the beginning of summer up until September.  I do it to get myself and especially my dog ready for the heat of retrieving for dove season. I normally wear boots and carry water and a backpack.  If I'm not screwing around I'm on about a 45 minute pace for the full three miles.  That's hoofin it walking, but not jogging or running.  Just to give an idea of the pace...
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Anything near Arlington for weekends is good for me, as long as it is somewhat affordable since I’m terminally broke.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Some guys can push ahead if they're wanting to do the battle buddy thing.  Others can go at their own pace. No reason why not
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#15]
As long as there are gummy bears at the end, I'll do whatever, but I'm out of shape so I'll do my best to roll to the finish line.

Will there be a participation ribbon, cause I'm not coming then...
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#16]
How about an outing next weekend, outside of the DFW BB effort, as a sort of 'teaser' for what Lug1 & the other leaders have planned?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Better than me, man.  I can hike but I can't run for shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You rock.
I do not rock.  I am fat, and it took me 42 minutes to run those 4 miles.  
Better than me, man.  I can hike but I can't run for shit.
Same here, I can ruck like a hobbit in middle earth, but I run slower than the guy in last during Chariots of Fire.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#18]
definitely has my interest, can't commit to any dates as of yet but I will make it to one or all eventually.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So, seeing as there isn't a website or other central planning forum set up (someone tell me if there's a FB group or something figuring this out already; I'm not trying to step on toes, here)...

How about an outing next weekend?

http://dfwtrailguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/72_CRP_Map.jpeg

For DFW-area denizens, Cedar Ridge Preserve is probably the best option for a hike that isn't flat & level.  Cedar Brake plus Fossil Valley trails along with the walk back to parking will be just over 3 miles, and comprise the hardest portions of the trails at Cedar Ridge.  Terrain is about 50-60ft hill up-downs through ravines on loose, rocky soil, with hard-packed trails in the flat areas.  Lots of tree cover and not a whole lot of wind, several places have good views & benches for resting or adjusting packs.  Trails are nice & wide, painfully well marked, and it's common for folks to train for backpacking expeditions there so heavy packs & grizzled faces won't surprise anyone.  If guns aren't a no-go already, they'll for sure get us thrown out going forward since it's a highly yuppified location these days; I'd leave them at home or keep them hidden.

Rather than try for a set pace, I recommend we first let the group set the speed naturally; this will give a good idea of what is reasonable at this time, and get folks who are less experienced used to hiking with a pack on.  Once strangers become familiar faces & we all get 'broken in' we can start pushing harder.  I suggest we start as early as possible, maybe even just before sunrise on a Saturday or Sunday, since the place is quite popular & parking fills up rapidly every weekend.  Still, away from the immediate parking area and Cattail Pond central trail, the routes are not choked with foot traffic.

The purpose will be 50% to meet each other & commit to another outing, 50% for shakedown of our gear & stamina.

I have two extra internal-frame camping packs that I can loan out to those who need them (one of which has seen better days & has a couple blown zippers, but is still good for weighting down).  In the past I trained using a 50lb bag of driveway sealant; it's malleable enough to conform to your pack without overstressing seams or zippers, doesn't have sharp points that could pierce things, is nice & quiet while walking, and is thick enough it won't leak or slosh or flex while hiking.  It's also cheap.

PM me if you're interested, and I'll start a dedicated thread with relevant info for the outing if even two of us commit to going.  I expect the group to be 6-12 folks in total; if we exceed that it's probably most courteous to other hikers to break into separate groups of that same 6-12 folks and stagger our departure times (good excuse to play with radio comms, too)
View Quote
@barnbwt

PM sent.

Liberty is great.  Anybody wants to do their thing go for it.  The plans I had made and intended to carry out will carry on.  If I don't move at others speed please feel free to do your thing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Some guys can push ahead if they're wanting to do the battle buddy thing.  Others can go at their own pace. No reason why not
View Quote
I plan to show up, meet people, enjoy hiking, and see how some gear works out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Grapevine area checking in (finally).  I'm in, but you probably knew that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I currently only have the 21st of February open at this time, but I can probably work around my other commitments if need be.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I currently only have the 21st of February open at this time, but I can probably work around my other commitments if need be.
View Quote
I'm down if it's in the morning on 2/21. I work evenings.

ETA: where you at? I live near the Texas motor speedway. I have a few routes I've done over here already.

ETA2: North shore trail is open too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I plan to show up, meet people, enjoy hiking, and see how some gear works out.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Grapevine area checking in (finally).  I'm in, but you probably knew that.
View Quote
@sidecargt

You were in whether you knew it or not....
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Forced march, eh?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm going to test myself first before joining you guys....Just don't want to be the slowest guy in a slowest group.
View Quote
Mojo me and Sidecargt with hike with you.

I want to try something this weekend.  But my shift is Saturday, it would have to be Sunday.  I got a PM from somebody who was willing to guide us around one of the parks at Ray Roberts.  But that is way north for some.

I have done some hikes at Grapevine in Murrell park but I haven't scoped it recently.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#29]
North Ft Worth

Sounds fun. I'd love to use this to work my up to a run and gun. Weekends are already kinda full, but if I can make it, I'll be there.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:40:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I won’t be able to join for hikes.

But...  if you’d like to have someone come out and show and tell amateur radios, the basics, etc. I’d be more than happy.

I do need a week or so heads up as I kind of float around these days.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Mojo me and Sidecargt with hike with you.

I want to try something this weekend.  But my shift is Saturday, it would have to be Sunday.  I got a PM from somebody who was willing to guide us around one of the parks at Ray Roberts.  But that is way north for some.

I have done some hikes at Grapevine in Murrell park but I haven't scoped it recently.
View Quote
I think at some point you're going to have to pick a place.  Nothing will be perfect.  Ray Roberts is far for people that live south.  Ben's place is far for people that live up north.  But I know a lot of us are willing to make a commute to hang out so just go with what feels right.

What I've learned from organizing a few events...you can't make everyone happy.  Plan something.  People will show up.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:33:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Plan something.  People will show up.
View Quote
Ultimately, there will be enough events, in enough places, that we won't mind missing one, since there's always another one coming along.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:51:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm in south Fort Worth- Burleson area. Interested but not sure how well I could hump a PC and back pack load at 58.  buit the idea of getting to know like minded individuals and establishing a network interests me alot
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm going to test myself first before joining you guys....Just don't want to be the slowest guy in a slowest group.
View Quote
@mojo

Trust me...you'll be fine.  I've been bulking up since DC (that's what you call it when you eat too much and add fat, right?). Any hiking is good hiking.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I would be in on this.  South Denton - Roanoke area
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
At the risk of being a pussy, a 3mph trail pace while burdened is extremely aggressive if you aren't 6ft tall, and aren't hiking for only an hour or two, max.  I sure hope they're including jogging or something in that figure, because a lot of folks will over-extend their stride trying to reach it & kill their joints. ...snip
View Quote
I may be mistaken, but the 3mph "pace" is an overall pace, and usually (.mil) includes jogging to "catch back up" from short rests/breaks.

E.g. the 12 mile ruck march standard for the EIB is 12 miles in 3 hrs (a 4mph "pace").  If you've ever participated/watched one being done, a lot of them are jogging.

Having said that, the goal is 6 miles in 2 hrs.  Not everyone (most civilians) can meet that right out of the gate, but it IS a reasonable goal to shoot for, and to be able/capable of doing it 2x/3x a month isn't that far of a stretch goal to shoot for either.  JMO & YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Absolutely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@mojo

Trust me...you'll be fine.  I've been bulking up since DC (that's what you call it when you eat too much and add fat, right?). Any hiking is good hiking.
Absolutely.
Amen to that!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#41]
There is also a Bataan training march put on by DFW Rucking Crew at Murrell Park on Lake Grapevine on Saturday.  I am not affiliated with the group whatsoever, just passing along some info.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#42]
So obviously I did not scope a place out for this Sunday.  I'm hoping to have one for next Sunday.

Too much was happening.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So obviously I did not scope a place out for this Sunday.  I'm hoping to have one for next Sunday.  
Too much was happening.
View Quote
Just FYI, I overheard someone at Cedar Hill today saying that the grapevine lake trail was flooded in places.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Reading the info about the Bob Jones park it looks promising.  It boast over 20 miles of trails and it looks like it ties into the Trophy Club park trails.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Reading the info about the Bob Jones park it looks promising.  It boast over 20 miles of trails and it looks like it ties into the Trophy Club park trails.
View Quote
Looks like, end to end, you can hike for 8.5 miles without repeating anything.  That gives you a LOT of options for shorter hikes.

Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Some of the creeks can be very difficult to cross at Bob Jones depending on recent weather and the level of Grapevine Lake.  These blockages can be quite challenging to work around.

I have been totally blocked out there before on multiple occasions.

Also as you cross Denton Creek and go north in the part that is Trophy Club you will end up in Trophy Club Park which has a lot of ATV and similar traffic in many areas.  I don’t know if there is an entrance fee for people on foot but there is for OHV use.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Some of the creeks can be very difficult to cross at Bob Jones depending on recent weather and the level of Grapevine Lake.  These blockages can be quite challenging to work around.

I have been totally blocked out there before on multiple occasions.

Also as you cross Denton Creek and go north in the part that is Trophy Club you will end up in Trophy Club Park which has a lot of ATV and similar traffic in many areas.  I don’t know if there is an entrance fee for people on foot but there is for OHV use.
View Quote
North Shore has a 5$ parking/entrance fee (dickheads wouldn't even let me briefly scope out the place before leaving )

I was out that way to visit REI yesterday...holy crap that whole region is high-tony; nothing but European sportscars, overpriced organic sandwiches, and hot stripper-wives as far as the eye can see!
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:39:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
hot stripper-wives as far as the eye can see!
View Quote
What time did you say we were meeting?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
hot stripper-wives as far as the eye can see!
Will there be yoga pants?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top