ALICE Gear Setups (Page 10 of 23)
Page / 23
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 10:33:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARJJ] [#1]
Originally Posted By raf:
Originally Posted By ARJJ:
Originally Posted By Enforcer:
Originally Posted By aggie-01:
Great info in this thread.  Got me motivated to actually buy a pack instead of lusting after Kifaru or similar that I can't really afford right now.

I have acquired everything for a Hellcat except the medium alice on ebay...everything has been used, but authentic and in good condition.  I'm still looking for a good deal on the pack.  This seller has several unissued packs for sale, but they look "off" to me.  Also the NSN listed seems to be wrong.  Can anyone chime in on whether these look like cheap chinese junk?

eBay Alice pack

It's the real deal. It's a "radio case" a specialty med ALICE w/ a velcro flap on the right side of the larger top flap to allow the antennae of the squad radio to protrude; It will also have a larger radio pouch than the standard ALICE ruck. The USMC still issue this radio case; not completely sure about the AB. The USMC differs from the AB case in that the foam "yoke" extends the entire length of the pack. I have the USMC version. I'll try to post pics later today showing the differences. This is a unique find; and IMO they tend to be built a little stronger. I wouldn't pass on it. I use the flap and larger pouch to put my hydration system in; allowing the drink tube to come out the top of the pack. If you look at the front and rear enlarged pics of the ebay post you can make out the slit or flap. The rear view will show a line of extra stitching on the right top. Looking at the front view you can just make out the flap/slit on the top left of the pic.

An FYI. The USMC is currently the only branch that still issues the med ALICE in large numbers for their recruits at boot camp. Of the hundreds I have handled over the last few years, both new and used, none have had NSN numbers anywhere on the pack. The specialty radio cases are the only ones I have found that still have the NSN numbers printed under the large flap. I'm not sure as to why; maybe to ensure they are readily identified and issued to the proper personel; preventing them for being mistaken for a regular ruck? If anyone has insight I'm all ears

edited for incoherency

Interesting. Thanks Enforcer! Sounds like a steal at $6.50 brand new.

Maybe Raf can chime in with some more history.

It's a variant new to me, and one I haven't handled.  If someone is buying one, and wants to get me one also , I'll pay them the $6.50 plus all shipping and handling req'd to get it to me, plus a little bit for your trouble.  Just chime in here.

At any rate, the USMC is well-known for having Corps-specific variants of equipment, going back a long ways.  It does not surprise me to learn of an ALICE pack made to Corps specs.

In the past, the Corps was usually the last one in the supply chain, and budgets were always tight.  Different/old/innovative/inexpensive gear all got considered for the Corps.

Well, I was going to bid on it, but the auction has ended.  It sold for about $23 with shipping.

ETA: I found another one I'm bidding on and the auction's almost over.
ETA2: I got one. IM sent Raf.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:45:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Enforcer] [#2]
So I'm going to say, I'm a dumb ass. I just found where the NSN is located on the med ALICE ruck. It should be printed in black just below the padded yoke. Most of the several hundred packs I ordered for the cubscouts the numbers were faded or wore off. I noticed a pic of my youngest sons pack and saw the NSN on the back. I pulled it out and there it was; I'll be damned. Another mystery solved. My older olive drab packs the NSN was printed under the rain flap as it is on the radio cases. I looked at the half dozen packs I own and the NSN were wore off. I'm assuming because these packs were used w/o frames.

Now on to comparison of the AB Ranger and USMC radio cases. The AB Ranger case is definately current issue. A NSN search revealed this; it is current issue and if you pay more than $114.92, you've paid way too much.

WebFLIS National Stock Number (NSN) Output Data

Search again?  

NSN: 5895014614505  
Item Name:CASE,ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT
Query Type:PUBLIC
Date of query:6/3/2010 12:24:56 AM

Identification A
FIIGINCCRIT CDIIRPD MRCDMILDMIL INT CDNIIN ASGMTPMICADPESD EMIHMICHCC
T358-A41257X46A11998348A0AN
SCHEDULE B:8710000090
ENAC:
Reference/Part Number
REF/PNCAGE-CDSTATRNCCRNVCDACRNAACRNFCRNSCRNJCSADCHCCMSDS
A3142076-280063A325ZZ
A3142076-21H2P2A525ZZ
Management
EFF-DTMOEAACSOSUIUI_PRICEQUPCIICSLCREPUSC
2009274DADSMSEA$114.921U0ZA
2009274DNDSMSEA$114.921U0N
2009274DSDSMSEA$114.921U0NI

The USMC radio case is current issue, and if you pay more than $120.48 you've paid too much

Search again?  

NSN: 5895014061641  
Item Name:CASE,ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT
Date of query:6/3/2010 12:22:01 AM

Identification B
T358-A41257XM6A11994356A0N
SCHEDULE B:9030908040
ENAC:
Reference/Part Number
94005A00001H2P2A522ZZ
94005A000001365A322ZZ
Management
2009274DMDSMSEA$120.480U0HM
2009274DNVSMSEA$120.480U0N
2009274DSDSMSEA$120.480U0FI

By contrast the med ALICE ruck is still current issue in the USMC and if you pay more than $39.73, you've paid too much

Search again?  

NSN: 8465012535335  
Item Name:FIELD PACK
Date of query:6/3/2010 12:31:50 AM
Note: This is a representative picture only, of this item.

Identification
T193-A32440X1A11987109AP
SCHEDULE B:
ENAC:
Reference/Part Number
MIL-F-4383381349M414CY
Management
2009274DAVSMSEA$39.73CU0FA
2009274DFYJCDEA$39.73CU0NF
2009274DMVSMSEA$39.73CU0FM
2009274DNVSMSEA$39.73CU0N
2009274DSVSMSEA$39.73CU0FI

The physical differences appear to be as follows: The USMC case has a full padded back and a radio pouch that appears to be made of heavier cordura; but I am unclear as to wether the pouch is the same size as the pouch in the AB Ranger case. The AB case has "AB" stamped on the hardware where the USMC hardware is plain. EDIT Forgot to add: the USMC is issued w/ LC2 straps; the AB is issued w/ LC1.  ARJJ and raf, when you get your case, measure the radio pouch and let me know the dimensions, then we will know for sure. Here are the pics of the radio cases for comparison.

USMC RADIO CARRYING CASE

AIR BORNE RANGER RADIO CARRYING CASE

The pics of the AB case are from the ebay post. If you look closely you can see the antennae flap.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:07:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Enforcer, thanks again for the comparison. Will do on the measurements.

Since you have the medium ALICE and the AB Radio packs, are they otherwise similar (other than the radio compartment)? Similar capacity and construction? Will the AB pack accept an ALICE frame?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:24:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Enforcer] [#4]
Enforcer, thanks again for the comparison. Will do on the measurements.

Since you have the medium ALICE and the AB Radio packs, are they otherwise similar (other than the radio compartment)? Similar capacity and construction? Will the AB pack accept an ALICE frame?

I dont have the AB radio case; just the USMC. Yes. they both will accept the ALICE frame, and both USMC/AB will be the same capacity and quality construction; maybe a little better than the issue med ruck.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome info guys...now if I could just win one of these auctions
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By aggie-01:
Awesome info guys...now if I could just win one of these auctions

I won mine by bidding about 20 seconds from the end.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Most likely the buckles are stamped "AB" on account of the Mfr's I.D., and not because the pack is/was intended for the Airborne, which is a single word.

Just a guess.  I've seen items ink-labelled "Airborne" or "Parachutist's", but I rather doubt the Army would go to the trouble of having metal buckles stamped so.

Which says nothing about whether the packs were originally intended for Airborne use, just about the stampings on the buckles.  IMHO, a coinkydink.

Raf, I saw that and thought the same thing. The "AB" is stylized, which would indicate a manufacturer's logo to me.

BTW, I haven't gotten a shipping notification from the eBay seller yet. Hopefully Monday....
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have tried to search but did not find a post with an Alice pack mounted on a Molle 1603 frame.

Does such a link exist and if so does anyone know where to find it?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/6/2010 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Most likely the buckles are stamped "AB" on account of the Mfr's I.D., and not because the pack is/was intended for the Airborne, which is a single word.

Just a guess.  I've seen items ink-labelled "Airborne" or "Parachutist's", but I rather doubt the Army would go to the trouble of having metal buckles stamped so.

Which says nothing about whether the packs were originally intended for Airborne use, just about the stampings on the buckles.  IMHO, a coinkydink.

I thought of that as well; however, the "AB" case is speced and procured thru the US Army Communications & Electronics Materiel Readiness Command. The USMC case is speced and procured thru the Marine Corps Logistic Command. They are both mfg by the same company; UNICOR. So now two different versions are being made at the same plant. If "AB" represents a mfg mark(for the slide not the pack) then we would see the "AB" slide on both the USMC and the Army case; or a mix master of both. But so far in my limited contact with the two cases I havn't seen it. My educated guess is that since the "AB" mark only shows up on the Army case it's very likely they were procured for Rangers; by the US Army and designated as such. Since the "AB" marked case is a Army issue case; you can bet the Rangers have them. By default it then becomes a AB Ranger radio case The only way to be sure is to call UNICOR and ask them the meaning ....... I have the number so I'll call UNICOR next week and we'll settle this little curiosity. It will be interesting either way to see what the AB truly stands for.
Link Posted: 6/6/2010 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#11]
One thing - since it's a radio pack, are you guys sure the extra, lower pad doesn't go inside the pack to pad the electronics? It would still pad the back that way. Just seems like how Uncle Sugar would think.
Also - have you guys ever seen these in OD or just Woodland? I'm going to have to keep my eyes out for one - the extra padding looks like it'd make a difference.
Link Posted: 6/11/2010 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Large Alice with no drings on the bottom to shorten it. It was never issued(and I got it the frame, lc2 straps and kidney pad for $30 at my local surplus store hehe) so they weren't cut out by anyone. maybe mine was a really early version or made by a strange contractor? Anyone have any idea? I would really like to have those drings
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 12:50:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#13]
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 2:53:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Slug64] [#19]
Just an post I had laying around thought maybe it should be in this thread.

LARGE ALICE PACK

MEDIUM ALICE PACK

RADIO MEDIUM ALICE PACK

TT MALICE PACK Version1-Version2

TT MALICE PACK Version3

HSGI T.R.A.S.H. BAG

TAG GEAR MOUNTAIN RUCK

MYSTERY RANCH TIMBERWOLF

LONDON BRIDGE TRADING 10 POCKET

Blackhawk SOF:

BDS mountain ruck:
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#21]

All USGI.
USMC Web belt, 2x M9 Mag pouches, AR15 3x Mag Pouch, SAW Pouch (dump/GP), Canteen/Cup/Cover, Safariland 6005(?), Bandage Pouch
The mag pouches need to get moved farther forward.
I also have a camel-back now, so I might drop the canteen.
Bandage pouch will be replaced with a VOK from TRG when I get around to it.
Probably replace the belt too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 5:15:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#23]
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 11:47:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Morg308] [#24]
I disagree - I happen to really like the M1941, and with some additional padding, and the simple addition of a sternum strap, they carry very nicely IMO. Yes, there are better alternatives, ie: lighter packs, with more features, but the things are practically bombproof, and set-up right can be downright great on the trail. They will never be as good or carry as much as one of the previous packs shown, but the frame design really works well. Having the pack suspended out from your back really is nice in the summertime - you don't sweat like a pig like with a typical internal frame pack with waistbelt. I should have some time to work on mods soon - I'll take pics. FWIW I have 5 or 6 of the damn things, and close to 40 different packs. I still like the M1941 the best. Maybe I am a retro masochist?  
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 11:45:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#26]
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I completely agree with you, and have an early pattern M1941 with wire frame that doesn't get carried, nor do my better packs. I have rescued some pretty sad looking M1941 packs though, and the one I use most was pretty beat-up. I like carrying a piece of history, frankly, and just carry the one. I really like the frame design, heavy or not, and have an Italian Mt. pack mounted on a spare frame.

I totally agree with you on modding a piece of history. My present carry pack has no mods that are permanent, and if used with a LBV, doesn't need them at all. There are certainly better packs out there, and you are right - one shouldn't modify a nice pack - it'd be like sporterizing a really nice Kar98 or similiar rifle. OTOH, It makes me feel good that an old pack like this can still hold it's own with all them newfangled young whippersnappers...

Personally I think the best idea I've seen are Enforcer's mods to a standard ALICE using the airborne frame. I plan on finishing mine right soon, but I will not be using a waistbelt per se, just a tensioned waist pad and sternum strap as I do with the M1941. I just have too many projects going right now, including remodeling my kitchen and editing a novel, so stuff like this has gotten pushed to the back of the bus. I love seeing what others have done, and plan of posting some pics at some point.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 4:43:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#29]
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Raf, are you talking about using a MOLLE waistbelt on just the ALICE pack itself, or on the ALICE pack frame?
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 11:33:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#31]
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Actually, I've already mounted a complete MOLLE harness and belt on an M1941 frame. Wasn't thrilled with it, but I can see how it would work well with ALICE frames. The way I like to run the waisbelt though, the MOLLE belt isn't the best choice for me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Raf, are you talking about using a MOLLE waistbelt on just the ALICE pack itself, or on the ALICE pack frame?

Both.

In my first post, I discuss removing the waistbelt from a MOLLE FLC vest, and using it as a belly band for an ALICE pack without frame.

In my post immediately above, I'm suggesting to Morg, and others, that the Molle pack waistbelt, installed/retrofitted onto the ALICE packframe is something very much worth considering.

Thanks, raf. I'll have to look into that for my ALICE pack.

BTW, I saw in my Sportsman's Guide surplus catalog yesterday that they have for sale, a "Mounted Crewman's Pack" or something to that effect. Looks like a huge MOLLE pack with a jumbo CFP-90-style sleeping bag carrier.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#35]
raf's right - they were designed to be slung off the side of a Bradley or the like. Looks like you could fit a small cooler into one!
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#36]
I finally finished this thread over a few days... I had picked up an ALICE medium pack at the surplus for 22 bucks, and upgrading to the molle kidney belt now.  It's going to be a partial hellcat.  :)

Thanks a bunch, just testing out that frame on that pack in store I don't see how I could go frameless again for a long haul.

Great thread!
Link Posted: 11/29/2010 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I just read though this entire thread and thought I would share my experiences with ALICE LBE.  I, and a lot of other guys started wearing our Y harnesses cranked all the way up so that the belt rode higher than the pack waist belt.  The waist belt was just taped to the rear so the pack could be tossed off easily.  The pistol belt almost became like a Rhodesian.  I looks a little odd at first but it worked for me training up for SFAS and all the way through the Special Forces Qualification Course.  Usually in the Q the ruck weighed in at about 100lbs except Robin Sage the ruck was 148.  Logged in a lot of miles rigged up like this and it worked the best for me and a lot of others.  I didn't use the buttpack but some guys did.  I just put a 3 day assault pack on top of the ruck.  We used the space in the bottom of the frame to store our IV bags.  This worked pretty well too.  I really like the modded out rucks you guys posted!
Link Posted: 11/29/2010 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By AR15:
I just read though this entire thread and thought I would share my experiences with ALICE LBE.  I, and a lot of other guys started wearing our Y harnesses cranked all the way up so that the belt rode higher than the pack waist belt.  The waist belt was just taped to the rear so the pack could be tossed off easily.  The pistol belt almost became like a Rhodesian.  I looks a little odd at first but it worked for me training up for SFAS and all the way through the Special Forces Qualification Course.  Usually in the Q the ruck weighed in at about 100lbs except Robin Sage the ruck was 148.  Logged in a lot of miles rigged up like this and it worked the best for me and a lot of others.  I didn't use the buttpack but some guys did.  I just put a 3 day assault pack on top of the ruck.  We used the space in the bottom of the frame to store our IV bags.  This worked pretty well too.  I really like the modded out rucks you guys posted!

I remember our waist belts also being taped up in OSUT. Of course, there's no way in hell I could've rucked 148 lbs––I didn't weigh but 141 in basic.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Will an Israeli bandage fit in the compass/first aid pouch?
I don't think it will but don't have one to test.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 1:07:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: protus] [#41]

Originally Posted By HellioN:

Will an Israeli bandage fit in the compass/first aid pouch?

I don't think it will but don't have one to test.

Thanks.

4 inch one will.

If not mod a 2xm4 mag pouch ( the woodland surplus molle style)

it will hold

1x CAT

1x4 inch izzy

shears

Link Posted: 2/5/2011 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#42]
There is a guy in Canada who makes new nylon rucks to fit the M1941 Mountain Rucksack Frames:

http://users.eastlink.ca/~qmstores/page11.html
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AR15:

I did that with the LBE in ROTC, other guys teased me that I was wearing it like a bra.  But it worked.  And if I wanted, I could use the pack waist belt.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 10:25:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shane_Doc] [#45]
I still dig my ALICE gear, I am rebuilding my rig today and should have some pics to post up later.

I am using a large ruck, M5 medic bag, and my LBE rig still, especially now that I am out I have gone back to the tried and true.

I missed the ALICE gear when we switched to MOLLE and the ILBE packs.

I've replaced the M9 in my rig with a SIG 226 and the AR rifle with a carbine.

I've got 3 days worth of food and such on the LBE, plus odds and ends survival gear.

Great thread.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/picture.php?albumid=1129&pictureid=12743
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 8:02:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Morg308] [#46]
Jes' gotta bump this. FWIW I'm running M1967 H harness tied to a Dutch LBV with a mix of MOLLE and ALICE gear (it takes either). Great setup IMO - will take pics and post later.

ETA: Here's some pics - I know some is MOLLE, but my FAK and 2 qt aren't. What I like about the Dutch LBV panels is that they are versatile. although I wish the webbing ran up higher so I could add a small pouch for compass or radio. I plan on adding some webbing at some point to solve this. The last pic has a ERDL shirt for comparison. Sorry the pics aren't better - I know I need a new camera, but last I checked, they cost money. When I get a chance I'll take some pics of another one setup with ALICE pouches - just have to dig everything out. I usually don't run the 2qt canteen - I run a camelback. Bad spot for a canteen in vehicles. I'm seriously looking at just deleting the rear panel, just haven't had time to mess with it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a few molle vests, but overall I still like ALICE gear. Probably not as practical, but it just has more character
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll setup one of these with some ALICE pouches first chance I get. I have a USGI LBV also, but like being able to move stuff around.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 11:41:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TimJ] [#49]
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 23
ALICE Gear Setups (Page 10 of 23)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top