Link Posted: 6/23/2011 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Tell me more about the tarp.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 10:55:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TimJ] [#2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By TimJ:

Tarp is ripstop nylon, I bought a bunch from the remnant table. Sewed two lengths together, hemmed the edges, sewed on the webbing at the corners and middle.

The hard part is keeping the seams straight! That nylon is slippery.  Hit it with 3M spray and voila! tested it this week with the rain we've had, it works!

The next one I do I plan on taking pics as a tutorial post in the Survival Gear Forum....

good job......

i take it you used the 1 inch nylon webbing as well.

try some of the grosgrain ribbon.

It will save weight and it a tad cheaper.

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#5]

My LBE
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TimJ:
Love it spartacus! Old school trumps new school

what can I say, it works for me
The SAW pouches can hold anything from more mags to a canteen to a camelback.

You cannot see it, but I have an LBE belt pad on the inside.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Just found this thread the other day.I wish I would have known all these helpful modifications when we were still using the LBE/Alice set up.I've found out in the recent weeks that buying and collecting this gear can be as addicting as BRD Great thread though and I hope you guys will keep the outstanding ideas coming.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Wish I'd'a read through this thread (or that I'd known it existed) before I bought some cheap ALICE items back when I was young(er) and (more) foolish...

I'll get some pics up of how I have my stuff configured now, but I am really thinking I should take the "tire iron" solution (thanks for the tip, Currahee) and replace all my ALICE clips, as well as metal buckles and snap-hooks, with 550 cord...

At very least I need to replace those blasted clips! Time to find a couple hundred feet of inexpensive 550.

Raf, I hope TT comes through on that idea of yours. It'd certainly be an improvement over the metal bits, and slightly easier to reconfigure than zip-ties or 550 loops, in my (unqualified) opinion.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#13]
My good ol' ALICE setup that still works great.

Eagle belt pad
BHI  2.25" belt
Y suspendars
compass pouch
BHI butt pack
(2)Spec Ops X4 pouches
(2)GI AR15 pouches
nalgene pouch (can't remember who makes it)
Bianchi M12 holster
Phrobis III bayonet
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By raf:
Originally Posted By Enforcer:
raf,

thanks for the input; I agree w/ you 100% . My whole point in posting my mods is to share new ideas and to help others think outside the box. In turn it stimulates others to be creative; we ithen reap the benefits of new and fresh ideas.

Speaking of new ideas; did you see my "Bobcat" mod to the medium alice at the bottom of page 11 ?  it solves alot of failures w/ the med alice w/o frame.

Enforcer

Yes, I did, and I'm going to make good use of your basic Idea.

What I will do is obtain some aluminum tubing, paint the center section OD, and either cap the ends or plug the ends with some neoprene plugs.

The hollow nylon is somewhat hard to get, and unless the ends of the tubing are capped with round-shouldered caps, or the neoprene plugs extend beyond the metal tubing, wear could still occur over time.  In a pinch, most folks could simply chamfer the outsides of the ends of the tube, and wrap same with a few layers of duct tape.  Not like that part of the tube will ever see daylight  again.

Overall, an excellent idea.  Congrats!

I just built three Bobcats last weekend. I had found an Ebay vendor that had excellent condition med. Alice rucks with straps for only $9 apiece and I couldn't resist at that price. For "tubing" I used some sections of a lamp stand that I scrounged out of a dumpster...it was FREE. I actually purchased some hollow nylon from a place called Strapworks. They shipped lightning fast and the stuff is CHEAP- .40 a foot. Ten feet- enough to do all my packs and have a bunch left over was only $4 and about same in shipping. I figured I could/would find a use for the rest of it sooner or later! Can highly recommend Strapworks!  Local surplus store had some pretty ratty looking sleeping mats that I was able to purchase for $2 for 3 of them....worked out pretty well.

Here-http://www.strapworks.com/Tubular_Nylon_s/62.htm
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 3:24:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#16]
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#17]
BTT
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I may not have done the 550 solution for my (really basic) setup, but I'll post it anyhow.

Here's the whole rig. Nothing fancy, in fact most of it is stuff I picked up for nearly a song and had sitting in my closet for-ev-er.

Starting from the left side of the belt buckle...a first aid/compass pouch, 2 GI mag pouches (for magazines), a 1qt canteen cover with canteen in it, then a Woodland pattern buttpack, another canteen cover with contents, a GI mag pouch in use as a "stuff pouch" (and located as far to the rear as I can get it, but I need to do something to mark it to sight and touch), and another mag pouch (for mags).

Detail pics (in order of the description):

You can see which pouches are for magazines, and the "stuff pouch" currently is displaying a set of compact binoculars. Planning on adding a multi-tool, space blanket, maybe some other small essentials to it, but I don't want to run the risk of overdoing it.

Speaking of overdoing it, I might just ditch the second magazine pouch on my left side, because now that I think about it some, it's basically set up as a Walter Mitty "going to war" setup, based on the ammo percentage in here. 9x30 in the rig and one in the rifle...seems like kind of a lot, after some thought.

Thinking I should pick up another compass pouch or two, use them to stash a couple extra Israeli bandages or gauze, and one for an actual compass & navigation cheat card.

Also planning to ditch the ALICE clips for a comfier (and lighter) alternative as soon as feasible. Here's a picture of why:

Also probably going to cut the grenade loops off all my mag pouches. Might keep one on the pouch to the immediate right of the belt buckle, but that's doubtful. Like Raf said, ounces add up. Might also remove a couple of the magazine pouches from it, too. Those are relatively recent additions, haven't tested anything with them on other than some brief "fitting" wear.

This thing doesn't get a whole lot of attention from me very often, though I've hiked with it before, but not with mags etc. in it; I used other items to give it some weight. Liked it well enough, but that was a while ago.

As I said above, it's kind of my "off to war" or "zombie uprising" setup, both of which are rather unrealistic. I'm thinking I'll trim a few things down and see how I like it then. Might add a Glock E-tool (hung above the buttpack, if I can swing it) at some point too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:
Well, I may not have done the 550 solution for my (really basic) setup, but I'll post it anyhow.

Here's the whole rig. Nothing fancy, in fact most of it is stuff I picked up for nearly a song and had sitting in my closet for-ev-er.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Cal30M1Guy/Gear%20et%20cetera/ALICE_overall.jpg

Starting from the left side of the belt buckle...a first aid/compass pouch, 2 GI mag pouches (for magazines), a 1qt canteen cover with canteen in it, then a Woodland pattern buttpack, another canteen cover with contents, a GI mag pouch in use as a "stuff pouch" (and located as far to the rear as I can get it, but I need to do something to mark it to sight and touch), and another mag pouch (for mags).

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Cal30M1Guy/Gear%20et%20cetera/ALICE_Leftside.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Cal30M1Guy/Gear%20et%20cetera/ALICE_Center.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Cal30M1Guy/Gear%20et%20cetera/ALICE_Rightside.jpg
You can see which pouches are for magazines, and the "stuff pouch" currently is displaying a set of compact binoculars. Planning on adding a multi-tool, space blanket, maybe some other small essentials to it, but I don't want to run the risk of overdoing it.

Speaking of overdoing it, I might just ditch the second magazine pouch on my left side, because now that I think about it some, it's basically set up as a Walter Mitty "going to war" setup, based on the ammo percentage in here. 9x30 in the rig and one in the rifle...seems like kind of a lot, after some thought.

Thinking I should pick up another compass pouch or two, use them to stash a couple extra Israeli bandages or gauze, and one for an actual compass & navigation cheat card.

Also planning to ditch the ALICE clips for a comfier (and lighter) alternative as soon as feasible. Here's a picture of why:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Cal30M1Guy/Gear%20et%20cetera/ALICE_Back-with-clips.jpg

Also probably going to cut the grenade loops off all my mag pouches. Might keep one on the pouch to the immediate right of the belt buckle, but that's doubtful. Like Raf said, ounces add up. Might also remove a couple of the magazine pouches from it, too. Those are relatively recent additions, haven't tested anything with them on other than some brief "fitting" wear.

This thing doesn't get a whole lot of attention from me very often, though I've hiked with it before, but not with mags etc. in it; I used other items to give it some weight. Liked it well enough, but that was a while ago.

As I said above, it's kind of my "off to war" or "zombie uprising" setup, both of which are rather unrealistic. I'm thinking I'll trim a few things down and see how I like it then. Might add a Glock E-tool (hung above the buttpack, if I can swing it) at some point too.

You might also consider a hydration bladder vs dual canteen setups.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By larryparamedic:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Cal30M1Guy/Gear%20et%20cetera/ALICE_overall.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Cal30M1Guy/Gear%20et%20cetera/ALICE_Leftside.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Cal30M1Guy/Gear%20et%20cetera/ALICE_Center.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Cal30M1Guy/Gear%20et%20cetera/ALICE_Rightside.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Cal30M1Guy/Gear%20et%20cetera/ALICE_Back-with-clips.jpg

It's somewhere on my "to-do" list...

But seriously, yes, that's a strong consideration. At the moment, I have a 2L Camelbak Stealth carrier and bladder...in nice bright black. So if I really need to toss on some H2O, that'll get worn over-top the LBE. The plus side (in my mind) being that it's also easier to ditch separately, or to leave the LBE cached for "going light" if need be...but that's kinda an unrealistic plan.
Far more likely I'd have my BCM/03 MSF chest rig on over the ALICE gear, if it's really that bad––with the camelbak bladder in that, and use the LBE as a cache-able item.
Unfortunately my budget presently precludes any new gear acquisitions, except I might be able to swing a spool of 550 cord for the household.

So for the moment, most of this is just wishful thinking on my part
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm still a canteen fan.

The tube? Shit, with a canteen i can drink when i want, but with the tube, you always have it "there".
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 2:19:10 AM EDT
[#22]

I'm doing both, although I may ditch a canteen.  Kind of hard to pour water out of a CamelBak, especially one integrated into ALICE gear or similar types of gear.

Link Posted: 12/17/2011 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Yea I have both as well. I even picked up one of those milsurp plastic "flasks" that seemed kind of handy in a cargo pocket.
I've been finding the hydration bladders on ebay for a great price. You can find the milsurp carriers with new Camelbak bladder,
bite valve etc for less than $20
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 5:30:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Yea I have both as well. I even picked up one of those milsurp plastic "flasks" that seemed kind of handy in a cargo pocket.

I've been finding the hydration bladders on ebay for a great price. You can find the milsurp carriers with new Camelbak bladder,

I didn't realize there were milsurp bladder carriers.  I've been using a CamelBak Thermobak with my ALICE gear.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

I didn't realize there were milsurp bladder carriers.  I've been using a CamelBak Thermobak with my ALICE gear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HYDRATION-SYSTEM-CARRIER-CAMELBAK-STORM-CANTEEN-US-MILITARY-CANTEEN-OD-GREEN-VG-/300637024690?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ff5cf1b2

These are the ones I've been getting on the cheap. I'm an ODGreen nut, though.
Higher price for the ACU stuff but they are easy to find as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOLLE-II-US-Military-Hydramax-Camelbak-3L-100-Oz-Hydration-System-Backpack-/230705902821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b724b4e5

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#26]

I didn't realize there were milsurp bladder carriers. I've been using a CamelBak Thermobak with my ALICE gear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HYDRATION-SYSTEM-CARRIER-CAMELBAK-STORM-CANTEEN-US-MILITARY-CANTEEN-OD-GREEN-VG-/300637024690?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ff5cf1b2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOLLE-II-US-Military-Hydramax-Camelbak-3L-100-Oz-Hydration-System-Backpack-/230705902821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b724b4e5

I bought a Coyote Brown Camelbak because apparently Camelbak has discontinued their OD versions.  I'm starting to like the colour, though, and I'm thinking of maybe an all-coyote set-up.  The M1967 suspenders are the only thing I can't find in that colour.  I wonder if the OD stuff can be bleached and died coyote.  For now I'm keeping what I have, though, although I'm making smaller changes.  I do want better pouches for FAL mags compatible with ALICE.  Using the M-16 pouches sucks.  The flap is difficult to get up, the pouches are a bit too deep, and the slient clasp thing gets in the way.  I'm liking snaps and lift-the-dot as fasteners right now.

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By iNuhBaDNayburhood:

I just Krylon my gear that doesn't fit my camo pattern of choice (MultiCam).

I get close sometimes with my Faux-Multicam (AKA: FaultyCam - it's close enough for me).

I just finished making another ALICE setup, but I'm thinking I might modify it some more, integrate a quick-detachable 72hr assault pack, etc...

Painting it doesn't look bad?  Do you have any pics?
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#31]

I didn't realize there were milsurp bladder carriers. I've been using a CamelBak Thermobak with my ALICE gear.

I bought a Coyote Brown Camelbak because apparently Camelbak has discontinued their OD versions.  I'm starting to like the colour, though, and I'm thinking of maybe an all-coyote set-up.  The M1967 suspenders are the only thing I can't find in that colour.  I wonder if the OD stuff can be bleached and died coyote.  For now I'm keeping what I have, though, although I'm making smaller changes.  I do want better pouches for FAL mags compatible with ALICE.  Using the M-16 pouches sucks.  The flap is difficult to get up, the pouches are a bit too deep, and the slient clasp thing gets in the way.  I'm liking snaps and lift-the-dot as fasteners right now.

I'm running VN era, NOS M1967 suspenders on a Dutch LBV crammed with USMC Coyote Brown pouches. I painted another Dutch LBV FDE, but am not running it with this. I guess I am not anal about color of gear as long as it works camo-wise and it works. I want to pull the rear panel and convert it to a ltwt rig, but I haven't had time. The dutch panels take ALICE or M1917 as well as MOLLE BTW. It's not perfect yet but I like the combo of ALICE and MOLLE gear. I like the lack of a web belt personally. The addition of the M1967 suspenders BTW gave the rig a whole new feeling - actually more comfortable as the oversized pads don't rub on my neck.  I did hook up the painted Dutch panels to a Tan LC2 'Y harness'  but haven't had time to string some cord in the back and try some weight on it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#32]

I bought a Coyote Brown Camelbak because apparently Camelbak has discontinued their OD versions. I'm starting to like the colour, though, and I'm thinking of maybe an all-coyote set-up. The M1967 suspenders are the only thing I can't find in that colour. I wonder if the OD stuff can be bleached and died coyote. For now I'm keeping what I have, though, although I'm making smaller changes. I do want better pouches for FAL mags compatible with ALICE. Using the M-16 pouches sucks. The flap is difficult to get up, the pouches are a bit too deep, and the slient clasp thing gets in the way. I'm liking snaps and lift-the-dot as fasteners right now.

The best solution for the GI 3X30-mag pouches being too deep for 20-rd 7.62 maqge is to install Magpuls on the mag baseplates.  The portion of the magpul that goes around the body of the mag reduces mag rattle, and the pull-loop eliminates extraction problems.

An expedient––and cheap–– solution is to stuff some closed-cell foam into the bottom of the pouch (make sure to punch a drain hole), and wrap some motorcycle inner tube bands around the bottom of the mags to reduce rattle.

Those are some great tips on the pouches.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#33]

I bought a Coyote Brown Camelbak because apparently Camelbak has discontinued their OD versions. I'm starting to like the colour, though, and I'm thinking of maybe an all-coyote set-up. The M1967 suspenders are the only thing I can't find in that colour. I wonder if the OD stuff can be bleached and died coyote. For now I'm keeping what I have, though, although I'm making smaller changes. I do want better pouches for FAL mags compatible with ALICE. Using the M-16 pouches sucks. The flap is difficult to get up, the pouches are a bit too deep, and the slient clasp thing gets in the way. I'm liking snaps and lift-the-dot as fasteners right now.

The best solution for the GI 3X30-mag pouches being too deep for 20-rd 7.62 maqge is to install Magpuls on the mag baseplates. The portion of the magpul that goes around the body of the mag reduces mag rattle, and the pull-loop eliminates extraction problems.

An expedient––and cheap–– solution is to stuff some closed-cell foam into the bottom of the pouch (make sure to punch a drain hole), and wrap some motorcycle inner tube bands around the bottom of the mags to reduce rattle.

The depth is a fairly minor issue compared to the other two.  I may just get real magpuls as efforts at expedient ones failed.  The difficulties with the flap and the clasp are the big issues for me.

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 2:50:59 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By Morg308:

I'm running VN era, NOS M1967 suspenders on a Dutch LBV crammed with USMC Coyote Brown pouches. I painted another Dutch LBV FDE, but am not running it with this. I guess I am not anal about color of gear as long as it works camo-wise and it works. I want to pull the rear panel and convert it to a ltwt rig, but I haven't had time. The dutch panels take ALICE or M1917 as well as MOLLE BTW. It's not perfect yet but I like the combo of ALICE and MOLLE gear. I like the lack of a web belt personally. The addition of the M1967 suspenders BTW gave the rig a whole new feeling - actually more comfortable as the oversized pads don't rub on my neck. I did hook up the painted Dutch panels to a Tan LC2 'Y harness' but haven't had time to string some cord in the back and try some weight on it.

I looked up the Dutch LBV to see what it looks like and your set was among the first results on Google.  I'm rather surprised that it is M1910 compatible; I do use the wire hangers for a couple of items.  Speaking of which, does anyone know a source for extra wire hangers?

I'm not sure how the LBV-style set-up would work for me.  Right now I keep my belt a bit lower than I'd like (and it feels odd although it presents no significant functional issues) so that it doesn't interfere with the wiast belt on my pack.

Right now I'm thinking of replacing my M1961 field pack with a South African Pattern 70 equivalent.  On your set-up do you have a fieldpack or something else there when you use the Camelbak instead of the 2-qt canteen?

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#35]
can you post a pic of your modded Dutch LBV?
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By firedog51d:

can you post a pic of your modded Dutch LBV?

It's in an earlier page of this thread.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 3:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#37]
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 8:27:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morg308] [#38]
I understand they used extra socks or battle dressings under the mags to raise them up in Vietnam. (SOG teams). This makes more sense to me than useless foam frankly. In the pics of my LBV I have a two qt canteen attched at the rear, where a buttpack would go. I did that just to show that the M1910 clips work on this - I don't run it that way. In fact, I run it with no buttpack at all, although I recently got a CB FAK pouch for it that I may use there. I don't want bulk back there, as there is a good chance I might end up in a vehicle wearing it, but I need a blow-out kit.

The current pack I use is anything but high-tech - it's a modified M1941 pack - I can't help it, I love the dumb things. i just bought another one, which makes an even 10 I own I think. My camera died, but I'm buying a new one in a few weeks when I have time to shop and will post pics at some point. The pack is big, but not too big to kill you, and was designed for skiiing, so climbs well, especially the way I have it set up. I'll try and have some friends take pics of me wearing the gear when I can - right now I'm just working a lot.

ETA: UV rated wire ties still break - I'm an electrician, I've seen it, and that's not even under hard use. I think 550 cord is a better setup for SHTF, but if you changing gear around a lot, or a LEO etc. then it's a great tip. I did use some to resecure my MOLLE canteens to the LBV. My main issue with it at present is the back panel - I'd like to do away with it entirely, but haven't had time to try such a setup, as I said. I bought 4 of these LBVs used for $24.95 IIRC, and had them shipped with some other crap from Sportsmansguide at the time on a shipping special for $4.99 IIRC. They are far from perfect, but they sure were cheap. I figure I have around $25 to $30 into my entire LBV setup at present if you don't count the FAK, which I think was $15 off the EE awhile back.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#39]

The best solution for the GI 3X30-mag pouches being too deep for 20-rd 7.62 maqge is to install Magpuls on the mag baseplates. The portion of the magpul that goes around the body of the mag reduces mag rattle, and the pull-loop eliminates extraction problems.

The depth is a fairly minor issue compared to the other two. I may just get real magpuls as efforts at expedient ones failed. The difficulties with the flap and the clasp are the big issues for me.

The Magpul loops will serve to help "pop-open" the lid, and also keep it open, all to some degree. You can still insert some closed-cell foam into the bottom of the pouch (USGI sleeping pad is perfect) to raise the magpul-ed mags some, which will accentuate the "pop-open" feature, but be careful that the mags are not raised so much as to make it possible for them to inadvertantly exit an opened pouch. Maybe start with one layer of foam. Don't forget drain-hole.

The 3X30-rd USGI mag pouches were originally intended to be clipped onto the pistol belt, and also supported, via the single eyelet on center back by the LBE harness. This kept the top-heavy mag pouches in a more vertical position, making access easier. It might be worth your while to experiment with outdoor-rated, thin, black wire-ties attached to your LBV and to the center back support eyelet on the pouch. Such outdoor-rated wire-ties can also be used to replace the metal ALICE clips, thus saving weight. Obviously, thin ones for eyelet use, and wider ones for main support/attachment of the pouch itself. Don't forget––outdoor-rated wire-ties only.

I'm not using a LBV, I'm using a pistol belt and the Y-harness ALICE suspenders (which I intend to replace with M1967 suspenders).
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 6:10:47 AM EDT
[#41]

The depth is a fairly minor issue compared to the other two. I may just get real magpuls as efforts at expedient ones failed. The difficulties with the flap and the clasp are the big issues for me.

The Magpul loops will serve to help "pop-open" the lid, and also keep it open, all to some degree. You can still insert some closed-cell foam into the bottom of the pouch (USGI sleeping pad is perfect) to raise the magpul-ed mags some, which will accentuate the "pop-open" feature, but be careful that the mags are not raised so much as to make it possible for them to inadvertantly exit an opened pouch. Maybe start with one layer of foam. Don't forget drain-hole.

The 3X30-rd USGI mag pouches were originally intended to be clipped onto the pistol belt, and also supported, via the single eyelet on center back by the LBE harness. This kept the top-heavy mag pouches in a more vertical position, making access easier. It might be worth your while to experiment with outdoor-rated, thin, black wire-ties attached to your LBV and to the center back support eyelet on the pouch. Such outdoor-rated wire-ties can also be used to replace the metal ALICE clips, thus saving weight. Obviously, thin ones for eyelet use, and wider ones for main support/attachment of the pouch itself. Don't forget––outdoor-rated wire-ties only.

I'm not using a LBV, I'm using a pistol belt and the Y-harness ALICE suspenders (which I intend to replace with M1967 suspenders).

OK, then you will probably clip the front hooks of the suspenders to the pouches, as per the ALICE manual. If you are using pairs of mag pouches, then run a length of 550 cord through the center back eyelets of each pair of pouches. You can then either connect the front suspender clip to the length of 550 cord (short cord method) or run a longer length of cord up to the metal ring at the bottom front of the LBE harness (long cord method). Affix snap hook of harness to conveniant point on belt near, and preferably inbetween pouches.

What's the purpose of that configuration?  I've had the clips attached to te eyelets at the top of the inner pouches (I have four, two on each side, but I may reduce that to three, with two on the left and one on the right).  The way I have it now I can go prone with my belt buckled and not be laying down on top of the pouches.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 5:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#42]
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#43]

OK, then you will probably clip the front hooks of the suspenders to the pouches, as per the ALICE manual. If you are using pairs of mag pouches, then run a length of 550 cord through the center back eyelets of each pair of pouches. You can then either connect the front suspender clip to the length of 550 cord (short cord method) or run a longer length of cord up to the metal ring at the bottom front of the LBE harness (long cord method). Affix snap hook of harness to conveniant point on belt near, and preferably inbetween pouches.

What's the purpose of that configuration? I've had the clips attached to te eyelets at the top of the inner pouches (I have four, two on each side, but I may reduce that to three, with two on the left and one on the right). The way I have it now I can go prone with my belt buckled and not be laying down on top of the pouches.

The ALICE pouches were originally designed to be supported via the top, back eyelet. They tend to droop a bit if not supported so, and the droop hampers easy access to the pouch closure clasp, and mags themselves. Less droop, more better. My suggestions are field-expedient alternatives for folks––such as yourself–– wearing more than the std two ALICE pouches.

FYI, a company called FMCO makes an ALICE-type shoulder harness with either eight, or four load-bearing down-straps––your option. Might be just the ticket for you. I have bought some M1 Garand clip pouches from them, and the assy/materials quality is first-rate.

Are you a lefty? If so, your 3-pouch configuration makes sense. If not, and you are a righty, put your pair of mag pouches on your right side, and the single on your left.

I shoot right-handed (although I used to shoot left-handed; I was forced to change).  However, I tend to maintain my firing grip with my right hand while reloading with my left hand, hence why I have my pouches the way I do.  If I were still using a bolt-action like I did before I got my FAL, I'd have the pouches reversed, since I held the firearm with my left hand and loaded with my right.  I'm considering ditching the outer right pouch since I have it behind my holster and it is very hard to reach with my left hand.  I'll have to try the trick with the para cord you mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 10:58:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Bump so it doesn't get archived.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:41:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jdubya87] [#45]
For you really retro minded folks out there...

http://olongapooutfitters.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=101

Garand en bloc pouch with alice clips. Comes in 2 or 4 clip sizes. New mfg. I own the cartridge belt, its good quality.

Anyone got any links to online alice gear sellers? Old Grouch has a special going on the LBE sets.

http://store.oldgrouch.biz/usmilbesepib.html
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:34:27 AM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By jdubya87:

For you really retro minded folks out there...

http://olongapooutfitters.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=101

Garand en bloc pouch with alice clips. Comes in 2 or 4 clip sizes. New mfg. I own the cartridge belt, its good quality.

Anyone got any links to online alice gear sellers? Old Grouch has a special going on the LBE sets.

http://store.oldgrouch.biz/usmilbesepib.html

I've been wondering how his pouches do with other cartridges on stripper clips.  He has some nice stuff; his custom work is nice as well.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Not ALICE, but compatible. I have been thinking about using the Lightweight rucksack. Not as big as the ALICE but it does have some interesting features and would certainly work as an emeregency pack along with the ALICE gear. It has one very cool "butt pocket" that allows you to carry your rifle on your pack.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 2:27:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#48]
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#49]
It's also the most uncomfortable frame pack I've ever put on. Sheer torture IMO. I do like the pack itself, but the frame is too tall for me. The Canucks ended up using the same frame for their M1964 Rucksack. Nearly identical, but pack is different.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#50]

That's an old Vietnam-era Lightweight Rucksack. In nice condition (as yours appears to be), they fetch over $100 on Ebay––at least mine did. Might want to think about the wisdom of using it Vs selling it and using the $$ to buy something better that is not a collector's item. FWIW, your frame is missing the center horizontal back band, and I believe also missing is the belly band, but they can be had without too much difficulty.

If you sold it off, you could buy (all USGI) a LG ALICE pack, Frame, MOLLE shoulder straps, MOLLE waistbelt, MOLLE Modular Sleeping System (MSS) carrier, and an ALICE cargo shelf, and be MILES ahead of the Lightweight Ruck in terms of comfort and load-carrying capability, not to mention having a few bucks left over. Just a suggestion, and YMMV.

Thanks,I know what it is and I know what they go for. I also have a million different rucks and I gave up on collectibility, If I own I i want to use it, if I can't use it it goes on sale. I generally use a medium ALICE but I thought it would be interesting to try this one out. My cuurrent bag is a Medium Woodland ALICE with LC2 straps, and a MOLLE waist belt on a plastic frame. I plan on strapping the MSS carrier later on. I also have a large MOLLE pack but I hate it.

Page / 23
ALICE Gear Setups (Page 11 of 23)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top