Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are starting out by sending me a new battery which, honestly, might be it.

I pulled it out this morning and turned it on. Didn’t die. Just ran and ran.

I wonder if it was over volted coming straight off the charger?
View Quote
If you have two, why not just try it with the battery from the working light...
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If you have two, why not just try it with the battery from the working light...
View Quote
I was out all day. Trying it now.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Those of you with troubles, what charger are you using?

Ask because I tried the charger that came with the light from Surefire, and I unplugged it after about 20 minutes, due to it and the battery getting hot (not thrown it away yet, but not planning on using it anymore).

Put the 18650A in my trusty Nitecore D2, charged up properly with no heat, never had issues with the light.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Those of you with troubles, what charger are you using?

Ask because I tried the charger that came with the light from Surefire, and I unplugged it after about 20 minutes, due to it and the battery getting hot (not thrown it away yet, but not planning on using it anymore).

Put the 18650A in my trusty Nitecore D2, charged up properly with no heat, never had issues with the light.
View Quote
I also initially used the Surefire charger and was totally suspicious of it. I’m using my normal charger now. See if it makes a difference.  Hopefully it didn’t fry the battery.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Read the fine print if you planned to use this mount for the M600DF.  Magpul Scout Mount   It will not work with the dual fuel.  I badly wanted to mount the light with this mount but now will be using the regular rail mount.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I didnt see it mentioned anywhere in this thread, is the color tint of this light very warm?

My M300 is very neutral and this thing is very orange/yellow. Not a big deal but side by side the two are very very different.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I didnt see it mentioned anywhere in this thread, is the color tint of this light very warm?

My M300 is very neutral and this thing is very orange/yellow. Not a big deal but side by side the two are very very different.
View Quote
Read here : https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Friday-night-showdown-Surefire-vs-Arisaka-vs-olight-/20-733135/
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:57:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I’ve been messing around with the “bad” battery. At least that’s what Surefire is trying first by sending me another.

Except it ran for almost an hour in my olight warrior m22.

And the good battery in my tan DF dudnt make a difference when I put it in my black DF. It still cut out after about.....7ish minutes.

At this point I know it’s the light itself. I emailed the guy I’ve been talking to at Surefire. See what he says Monday.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read here : https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Friday-night-showdown-Surefire-vs-Arisaka-vs-olight-/20-733135/
Thank you. I've owned a few M series lights and never noticed the warmer tint. I wonder why it is designed like that.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#10]
This isn't GD
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Update.

I told the guy I switched batteries and the supposed bad battery was fine in my other 600df AND my olight m22. Then I took the battery out of my good 600df and put it in the bad 600df and it cut out.

So I know it’s the light.

I tell all of this to the guy I’m emailing at Surefire. So what do you think he said this morning?:

If the light is becoming very hot and it cuts out then it could be associated with either the LED's voltage regulator, or the battery's safety cut off chemistry that Panasonic built into it. The issue might likely be in the battery to be honest.

So either he didn’t read the other emails I sent to him or he is going by a step by step process which they have to go through that they must think saves them money but so far it’s cost them a battery and I know that won’t fix it.

So I’m getting garbage warranty service from Surefire. I might just return this thing and buy another one and hope it works.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Which models of Surefire failed you?

There are only a handful of actual WML companies.  Streamlight is trash. You do the math.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I drank the Surefire Kool Aid for years, I have over $2,000 worth of Surefire lights..,,,NO MORE!
Which models of Surefire failed you?

There are only a handful of actual WML companies.  Streamlight is trash. You do the math.
@bcauz3y

Why is Streamlight trash? I'm considering a 1,000 lumen HL-X, as a stop gap until I get a Surefire.

Is there a reason I shouldn't?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Update number 2. Light is still at Surefire. They got it last Thursday. I still haven’t heard anything. A week. Nothing.

I’m trying to be reasonable but not super happy right now.

This is why competition is good. If there was a true competitor to Surefire I’d probably switch over.

Let me clarify that. I realize there are lights out there just as durable. But they don’t have the support for switching or mounting like Surefire does.

If only elzetta made a tailcap that was compatible with Surefire switches or if only Arisaka made a brighter light.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Update number 2. Light is still at Surefire. They got it last Thursday. I still haven’t heard anything. A week. Nothing.

I’m trying to be reasonable but not super happy right now.

This is why competition is good. If there was a true competitor to Surefire I’d probably switch over.

Let me clarify that. I realize there are lights out there just as durable. But they don’t have the support for switching or mounting like Surefire does.

If only elzetta made a tailcap that was compatible with Surefire switches or if only Arisaka made a brighter light.
View Quote
Tailcap and body please ????
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted: if only Arisaka made a brighter light.
View Quote
I asked them about an 18650 body and in short I was told no due to the fact that the only head that will fit is the one from the 600df. So what we really need is malkoff to make a head for the 600df body.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Update 3

Just got an email after I said F it, it’s been a week I’m going to ask.

I get a reply that they are sending me out a new one but for whatever reason tracking isn’t available right now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:25:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I definitely dig my M600DF.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Update 4

Been over a week since “being sent a new one, no tracking available”

I have no idea where it is or if they even sent it yet.

Terrible.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:12:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I got my personal light in yesterday and we got 4 for some duty rifles at work. So far all work and are super bright. I have the 500 lumen m300 and the m600df is way brighter.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:36:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Update 4

Been over a week since “being sent a new one, no tracking available”

I have no idea where it is or if they even sent it yet.

Terrible.
View Quote
Their shipping/tracking IS shit, I'll give them that.

I've ordered direct from them before without issue but last month I ordered a couple of their 18650 batteries since I have so many DF lights now.  I think they didn't even ship for 8 or 9 days.  I asked for a status update and didn't get it until 2 or 3 days after it shipped.

By the time I got tracking it was the day they showed up on my doorstep.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've ordered direct from them before without issue but last month I ordered a couple of their 18650 batteries since I have so many DF lights now.  I think they didn't even ship for 8 or 9 days.  I asked for a status update and didn't get it until 2 or 3 days after it shipped.

View Quote
At this point that’d be a welcome surprise lol. I just don’t know what to do about my other, tan, DF. It works and doesn’t cut out unexpectedly but it does exhibit the very faint flicker when the bolt is dropped and during dry fire.

Think I’m just going to not send it in for now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#22]
edited - sju
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#23]
edited- sju
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had a Surefire M952 that would flicker, I called Surefire Customer Service for an RMA.

They told me to “Just stretch the spring, that’s all we are going to do”.

As most of us are aware, that’s a temporary fix. It did correct it for awhile.
View Quote
Could stuff some earplug foam underneath the spring too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I picked up a 600DF the other week. Using SF's supplied rechargeable battery, sure enough, after about 2 minutes of 'on,' the light would shut off.
No issues using SF 123A batteries.
I called Surefire and they admitted there was a known issue with a batch of batteries. They immediately sent a new battery.
Had it running now with the replacement battery for 20 minutes and seems to be working fine. Then, just to confirm, I once again tried the original battery and it shut off within 2 minutes.

Original (bad) battery production date 06/18
Replacement (good) battery production date 10/18
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I picked up a 600DF the other week. Using SF's supplied rechargeable battery, sure enough, after about 2 minutes of 'on,' the light would shut off.
I called Surefire and they admitted there was a known issue with a batch of batteries. They immediately sent a new battery.
Had it running now with the replacement battery for 20 minutes and seems to be working fine. Then, just to confirm, I once again tried the original battery and it shut off within 2 minutes.

View Quote
That makes sense. They immediately told me it was my battery. Later that night I tried a lot of other batteries. All did the same thing. They ignored me. Still ended up sending the light in and now supposedly a new light is on it’s way to me.

But at least I got a free 18650 out of it. Rather have a functioning light......
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I wonder if I never had any problems with both of mine because I never used them with the supplied tailcap?

I put DS07s on mine right out of the box.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes it is.

Wife just gave me an early Christmas present (18650 and charger) and she told me she never got tracking info or even order confirmation.

Funny thing is I don't even have a 18650 light...

Guess I'll be looking into the M600DF in the near future.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Update 5

Got it back. Been running nonstop for 10 minutes. So far so good. Good news is it no longer flickers during dry fire or dropping the bolt home.

One caveat. When I got it I took the battery out and I’m charging it. It has a date of 0618 which supposedly is the time of the bad batch.

I’m running a newer 1018 Surefire battery to test the light. Once I’m happy with the light I’ll do another test with the 0618 battery.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:59:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well shit! Well it stays on for 3 mins with no issue so far
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/YU9foKa.jpg
View Quote
I don’t think it’s every single battery. I’ve got an 0618 and 0318 that are good.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don’t think it’s every single battery. I’ve got an 0618 and 0318 that are good.
View Quote
That’s good news, thanks for the update
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#34]
If anyone has one of the defective batteries I'd love to see which actual cell Surefire is using as I'm certain that they are rewraps anyways. If they have a known "bad batch" then it also leads me to believe that these are low-mid tier binned cells (but we could likely never be certain). If anyone knows how not to blow themselves up doing it please carefully unwrap a cell and post some pictures.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/YU9foKa.jpg
I have an 06/18 that is gtg as well. Ran for upwards of 20 min with no problem. On a side note has anyone tried any other 18650 batteries than the surefire ones?
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:32:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have an 06/18 that is gtg as well. Ran for upwards of 20 min with no problem. On a side note has anyone tried any other 18650 batteries than the surefire ones?
View Quote
Yes.
Works:
-NCR18650B

-Dont know the name but recommend by a member here. It’s wrapped brown color and says 18650 3000mah 3.7v

Didn’t work:
-NCR18650B. It looks almost identical to the one that did work however this one is shorter by a decent amount. It doesn’t appear to have a protruding button.

-The brown one I listed above that worked...yeah another that’s exactly the same doesn’t work. These are identical. What’s funny is they both also don’t have a protruding button but one works anyway.

Very odd, confusing results.  I wish I wasn’t so ignorant in regards to these 18650’s. I might be able to make heads or tails out of this.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Attachment Attached File

I just ordered a Surefire M600DT and two spare batteries to run on my current duty rifle.  It’ll be replacing the Arisaka 300 Series that I’m running right now. Being that most all of my work is done in rural areas, I wanted something with a lot more throw than the 300 series, so I’m anxious to try it.  I looked at the Streamlight weapon lights, but I’ve had such good luck over the years with all my Surefires I just couldn’t pull the trigger on a Streamlight.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Woah, bad battery batch?

I need to check mine.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I just received a fde M600 for a fde build of mine. I have 4-5 older Surefires but I wanted to see what a current Surefire was like. The fact that a good fde light is hard to find and that this one was on sale made it hard to pass up.

I tried 13 different brands/styles of 18650s in this light including the Surefire 18650. Everything from high drain 2100ma flat tops to 3400ma button tops to everything in between. The conclusion I came to is that every button top 18650 that I had on hand (7 different brands/rewraps) works without interrupting the light output when given a sharp smack to a thick rubber mat. Every single flat top battery I tried all had the light interrupted to some degree ( either didn't work at all or "blinked" when it hard the rubber mat). The reason for this can be seen when you remove the head and look at the positive contact design. There is a large flat contact which is roughly 12-14mm in diameter with a "wall" surrounding it. The contact itself is spring loaded while the wall is not. The reason I feel like the surrounding wall is there is to prevent flat top usage all together. If a flat top's heat shrink were to tear it could cause a hard short at the positive contact and fail spectacularly. It's simply a light that was made to use a button top 18650 and I feel that given the variety of button tops I have on hand it's safe to say that any button top should work given it's rated for the current draw of this light (~99.9% are).

It certainly needed lubrication on the threads and o rings out of the box but all in all it seems like a fine light and the color matches my setup well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just received a fde M600 for a fde build of mine. I have 4-5 older Surefires but I wanted to see what a current Surefire was like. The fact that a good fde light is hard to find and that this one was on sale made it hard to pass up.

I tried 13 different brands/styles of 18650s in this light including the Surefire 18650. Everything from high drain 2100ma flat tops to 3400ma button tops to everything in between. The conclusion I came to is that every button top 18650 that I had on hand (7 different brands/rewraps) works without interrupting the light output when given a sharp smack to a thick rubber mat. Every single flat top battery I tried all had the light interrupted to some degree ( either didn't work at all or "blinked" when it hard the rubber mat). The reason for this can be seen when you remove the head and look at the positive contact design. There is a large flat contact which is roughly 12-14mm in diameter with a "wall" surrounding it. The contact itself is spring loaded while the wall is not. The reason I feel like the surrounding wall is there is to prevent flat top usage all together. If a flat top's heat shrink were to tear it could cause a hard short at the positive contact and fail spectacularly. It's simply a light that was made to use a button top 18650 and I feel that given the variety of button tops I have on hand it's safe to say that any button top should work given it's rated for the current draw of this light (~99.9% are).

It certainly needed lubrication on the threads and o rings out of the box but all in all it seems like a fine light and the color matches my setup well.
View Quote
Interesting. Looks like two separate issues. Batch of bad batteries and something wrong with the light. Both of mine flickered with the supplier button too batteries and other brands.

I’m going to chalk it up to growing pains from a ground up new product. Or at least head.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#41]
So I just checked my stash of batteries.

I have THREE 0618 batteries.  I've never used them; they're just spares that haven't been needed yet.  I currently have 4 0318s and 4 1018s in use and these just haven't made the rotation yet (I also have 2 1117s).

Will Surefire automatically exchange any 0618 dated battery?

I have no desire to start putting them into use and then catching a surprise one day.

Also, I haven't had flicker issues but as soon as I get my M600DFs I put DS07s on them.  If anyone wants the original tailcaps for "science" let me know.

It seems like the supplied standard, push button only tailcap and some bad 0618 dated batteries are the issue here?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So I just checked my stash of batteries.

I have THREE 0618 batteries.  I've never used them; they're just spares that haven't been needed yet.  I currently have 4 0318s and 4 1018s in use and these just haven't made the rotation yet (I also have 2 1117s).

Will Surefire automatically exchange any 0618 dated battery?

I have no desire to start putting them into use and then catching a surprise one day.

Also, I haven't had flicker issues but as soon as I get my M600DFs I put DS07s on them.  If anyone wants the original tailcaps for "science" let me know.

It seems like the supplied standard, push button only tailcap and some bad 0618 dated batteries are the issue here?
View Quote
Try your 06 18 batteries. If they don't shut off automatically within 5-10 minutes, I'd suspect you're good to go.

For the record: when the SF rep told me there was a "bad batch" of batteries, he didn't specify a battery production date range. That was my conclusion based on my own experience. As indicated by other users in this thread, not ALL batteries with the 06 18 date were impacted.

Out of curiosity, I'd be interested to know what the battery production dates were of others who received replacement batteries from Surefire.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#43]
All three are duds......Guess I get to deal with Surefire CS now too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
do the batteries groan when you turn it on.

that thing is so bright it is useless.
View Quote
I have brighter lights that run off 18650s.  1500 isn't that much.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
All three are duds......Guess I get to deal with Surefire CS now too.
View Quote
That sucks. They should get the batteries out fairly quickly. That was the good part of my experience. After that......
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I posted over at Candlepowerforums on vinhnguyen54’s sub-Forum Lights-You-Want-Me-To-Mod asking him to considering modding the Surefire M600DF for longer throw and more Lumens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have brighter lights that run off 18650s.  1500 isn't that much.
I posted over at Candlepowerforums on vinhnguyen54’s sub-Forum Lights-You-Want-Me-To-Mod asking him to considering modding the Surefire M600DF for longer throw and more Lumens.
That would be amazing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I wonder if malkoff has anything planned for the M600df.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#50]
I've continued testing all of my Surefire 18650s and found a faulty battery with a 0318 date as well.

I got an initial response back from Surefire already asking for more info, but nothing else yet in a week.  I figure while I wait (for what may be a long time) on these 4 getting replaced under warranty I'd try some other protected cell 18650s.

Apparently the consensus is that the panasonic 3400mAh is the best but I find some bad reviews where apparently the protection circuit is chinese made or the batteries are crap and potentially chinese clones.

Is there a known, good, safe vendor for legit protected cell Panasonic 18650s with no chicom crap?
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top