User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 21
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not rushing to judgement. I ran the mags in another rifle and they functioned flawlessly. It could have been something I did that caused the malfunction.
View Quote
Ah, good to know!  I’ll probably continue grabbing a few of each and see what my rifles like the best.  Still have a bunch of M2 & M3 PMAGs and Lancers, as well.

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I ran the mags again today. They worked fine. As far as I'm.concerned, E2s are GTG.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I did buy 2 and have about 200 rounds through each. No issues. However, I do prefer the original Okay SureFeed mags instead. Just purchased 6 more of those from Botach's 6 for $55 pack deal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I did buy 2 and have about 200 rounds through each. No issues. However, I do prefer the original Okay SureFeed mags instead. Just purchased 6 more of those from Botach's 6 for $55 pack deal.
View Quote
Just curious.

Why do you prefer the original Okay over the E2? ( Besides being slightly cheaper?)
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just curious.

Why do you prefer the original Okay over the E2? ( Besides being slightly cheaper?)
View Quote
Cost wasn't a factor. Botach has a 6 pack of the Okay Surefeed E2 mags for $59 when in stock. $4 isn't a difference maker in my book.

In general, appearance was a big reason. I preferred the more milspec look and the embossed "5.56mm" and "SUREFEED" on the E2 magazine was a bit tasteless for me. Almost as bad as Springfield putting "Grip Zone" on their pistols. The functional changes were irrelevant to me as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Cost wasn't a factor. Botach has a 6 pack of the Okay Surefeed E2 mags for $59 when in stock. $4 isn't a difference maker in my book.

In general, appearance was a big reason. I preferred the more milspec look and the embossed "5.56mm" and "SUREFEED" on the E2 magazine was a bit tasteless for me. Almost as bad as Springfield putting "Grip Zone" on their pistols. The functional changes were irrelevant to me as well.
View Quote
Understood.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Can someone confirm for me that the spring in the E2’s is the same as in the tan follower Okay’s?
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Thought I’d share my experience on the E2 magazines now that I’ve used mine for a bit. I ordered some about six months ago and decided to add one in with my usual training mags. There are 7 total magazines that get fed whatever cheap ammo I have and are kept loaded 24/7 other than when they’re actually getting shot.

I was re-loading my mags tonight when I noticed that the E2 magazine had a small crack at the back of one of the feedlips. Kinda disappointed considering this was the newest and least used mag out of the others, having only been used for about 6 months and a little under a thousand rounds with this particular mag. However, despite the crack it hasn’t been malfunctioning, so I’ll keep using it in this fashion for now and see what happens.

Really not too worried about it since magazines are wear items and I like some of the features that the E2s have, but I would have expected that they’d at least last a little longer than they have (keep in mind, sample size of literally one magazine, so I could just have a lemon)
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Post up a pic. In 6 months why whould feeds lips have a crack? Id contact okay if I was you.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Are the green followers in the non-E2’s Magpul?  If not, are people switching them out for a different follower?
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, the standard Okay Surefeeds come with foliage green Magpul enhanced followers. You can see a photo of one that I posted here.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#12]
@tooly I’m not sure how it cracked that fast with normal use, I think I just might contact them and see what they say.

Here is the pic I took last night, this is my first attempt at posting a picture here so let me know if it doesn’t work

Link Posted: 3/1/2019 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@tooly I’m not sure how it cracked that fast with normal use, I think I just might contact them and see what they say.

Here is the pic I took last night, this is my first attempt at posting a picture here so let me know if it doesn’t work

View Quote
That is strange.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
That bullshit...no way is that ok. Take some more pic and contact them. I have mags from Vietnam era that dont look like that .
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Kind of reminds me of the cracks that people were experiencing with ~2013 Brownells mags. The crack looks a bit “cleaner” on the Okay mag though. I think the speculation back then was that improper heat treatment and the stress of the bends at those spots had left the Brownells mags a little brittle. It’s been a while though, and I don’t have the energy right now to read through those old threads!
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes, the standard Okay Surefeeds come with foliage green Magpul enhanced followers. You can see a photo of one that I posted here.
View Quote
Thank you sir!

So, stupid question alert:  are the different color followers better/worse in function?  Basically, do different colors equal older/newer follower tech?  If so, what color is the bestest as far as function goes?
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#17]
What's the date on the mag?
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Smitty, if you're talking just Magpul enhanced followers for USGI mags, they are now on their third generation in terms of updates to the follower design. The latest, Gen 3 followers come in Foliage Green and Yellow from the factory, and DSG Arms in Texas also sells an FDE version that's the same Gen 3 design, just a special color that they had Magpul produce for them exclusively. You can see the FDE and Foliage Green followers in the link I posted above. I don't have any of the yellow ones myself.

The Gen 2 followers came in a reddish-orange and gray (I think?). I don't recall what color(s) the original Gen 1 followers were. There was a recent threatened that included photos of all the generations.  I'll add the link if I can find it.

Edit: Here's the discussion that includes photos of the different Magpul follower generations:

Orange followers?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:32:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Smitty, if you're talking just Magpul enhanced followers for USGI mags, they are now on their third generation in terms of updates to the follower design. The latest, Gen 3 followers come in Foliage Green and Yellow from the factory, and DSG Arms in Texas also sells an FDE version that's the same Gen 3 design, just a special color that they had Magpul produce for them exclusively. You can see the FDE and Foliage Green followers in the link I posted above. I don't have any of the yellow ones myself.

The Gen 2 followers came in a reddish-orange and gray (I think?). I don't recall what color(s) the original Gen 1 followers were. There was a recent threatened that included photos of all the generations.  I'll add the link if I can find it.

Edit: Here's the discussion that includes photos of the different Magpul follower generations:

Orange followers?
View Quote
Awesome, thanks Scout!  Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 1:07:23 AM EDT
[#20]
The mag is marked as being manufactured in February 2018.

After going through one of the Brownells mag threads it does seem like it is in the same spot as those were cracking, just not quite the huge jagged gash that they were getting.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I just checked mine. They are all manufactured 2/18.

Both of mine that I've been using in my range rotation mags have gashes on the bottom of the rear of the feedlips.

I looked further and most of them, unused in the wrapper have  the same gashes; especially on the RIGHT feedlip.

Perhaps the insertion gauge that they use to test the mags is the culprit?.

No cracks, yet.......

Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Just call and get it straight from the horse's mouth.
All 16 of mine ahow the same 2/18 date code. Mine are all black.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just call and get it straight from the horse's mouth.
All 16 of mine ahow the same 2/18 date code. Mine are all black.
View Quote
@tooly

Do any of yours have the gashes shown in my pic?

I have some black and some gray and just about all of them have the gashes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Just googled Okay to get their number.

https://www.google.com/search?q=okay+industries&oq=okay+industries&aqs=chrome..69i57.5870j0j7&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#lkt=LocalPoiReviews&trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:nav,rc_ludocids:10564220707537208,rc_q:Okay%2520Industries%252C%2520Inc.,ru_q:Okay%2520Industries%252C%2520Inc.

Read at the reviews.  Perhaps some of of the current crop of folks working at Okay aren't exactly the best and brightest?.......

I just ordered some regular Okay Mags not too long ago. When I receive them, I'll report if any of them have the gashes as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@tooly

Do any of yours have the gashes shown in my pic?

I have some black and some gray and just about all of them have the gashes.
View Quote
Not gashes more like where they maybe fold the feed lips. They look like a well formed line. They are on both sides. All what.. 16 e2 mags are like that.
That is normal. Not the crack part. He needs to call and say something. They cant make.it right if they dont know.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not gashes more like where they maybe fold the feed lips. They look like a well formed line. They are on both sides. All what.. 16 e2 mags are like that.
That is normal. Not the crack part. He needs to call and say something. They cant make.it right if they dont know.
View Quote
That's not normal with any of my other Aluminum Mags. I can post pics. A very faint line on one or more sides on a few out of many but not a gash. They pressed a little too hard.

What I'm getting at is the line or gash weakens the aluminum and that's where he got the crack.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just checked three of my 6 Black E2’s that were out and they all have that same line...no crack, but I haven’t used them yet.  Does look like a prime failure spot though.  Checked three of my brand new non-E2’s in tan and one didn’t have any lines, and the other two did (but much less pronounced than the black E2’s I have)
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I did email them the picture last night, but I’m not expecting a reply back until after the weekend. It’ll be interesting to hear what they say.

It’s interesting that you bring up those gashes, when I noticed those on the back of the mag that’s what actually made me inspect it more closely and discover the crack. All my other E2 mags have these heavy gashes/fold creases as well. Most of my other gi mags have a slight, barely even noticeable crease in that spot, including standard Okays, but nothing this large.

Someone mentioned the bad batch of Brownells mags that were failing in this same spot. I didn’t read every single thread on those, but one post I saw about them a guy was talking about how they had a very similar, well defined crease on the back of the feedlips. Possibly a similar problem?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I did email them the picture last night, but I’m not expecting a reply back until after the weekend. It’ll be interesting to hear what they say.

It’s interesting that you bring up those gashes, when I noticed those on the back of the mag that’s what actually made me inspect it more closely and discover the crack. All my other E2 mags have these heavy gashes/fold creases as well. Most of my other gi mags have a slight, barely even noticeable crease in that spot, including standard Okays, but nothing this large.

Someone mentioned the bad batch of Brownells mags that were failing in this same spot. I didn’t read every single thread on those, but one post I saw about them a guy was talking about how they had a very similar, well defined crease on the back of the feedlips. Possibly a similar problem?
View Quote
I’m no engineer, but it seems like a bad mechanical design if that’s “normal”.  Unless that mark from reinforcement of the metal at those spots, it seems like a pretty likely failure point...and a bad spot for it at that.  Seems to me like it’s more likely this is a bad batch or QC issue.

Interested to hear what Okay says.  Thanks for posting this and reaching out to them about it!
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's not normal with any of my other Aluminum Mags. I can post pics. A very faint line on one or more sides on a few out of many but not a gash. They pressed a little too hard.

What I'm getting at is the line or gash weakens the aluminum and that's where he got the crack.
View Quote
Not saying the gash is notmal.

Ill take a pic tonight when I get home
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Seems to me like it’s more likely this is a bad batch or QC issue.
View Quote
Agreed.

I wonder if mags produced during a different time period have the same issue?

So far we know the deep gashes are on mags made on 2/18.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Dont know...but im calling tue about it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I closely inspected all 13 of mine.  Out if the 13, I found 3 mags that have gashes deep enough to be of some concern, IMO.

If Botach or Okay will make it easy to exchange them, then I'll exchange those three.

Edited to add

Botach has a 15 day return policy.

https://www.botach.com/returns-exchanges/

It's been too long for me, so I'll have to contact Okay directly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#35]
D&H mag loaded with 30 rounds with the date code from 8/05.

Both mags.

The new E2 okay mag. All 16 new e2 okay mags look like this one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:30:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Here's an Okay w/ tan follower dated 2009.  No gashes or creases at all.  It may look like a little crease there on the left side, but theres none whatsoever.

Link Posted: 3/3/2019 4:18:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Yeah..have a okay laying around without a date code and you can hardly make it out but on the left it is still there.

Just look at the loaded mags next my tavor, 5 D&H with a date code 2017 you can hardy see them crease lines...but they are there. Also got another loaded is D&H mag with a date code 05 that has the crease line you can hardly make it out but its still there.

All...alot better looking then the e2 okay mags.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I used the two E2 Mags in my range rotation.stack again todays. So far no crack.

I'm thinking that the gash has to be very deep in order to structurally compromise the the feedlips.

That being said, it still looks like shit and there is no reason for it.

Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Paisan.. ya see my pics? The D&H mags have it also.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Paisan.. ya see my pics? The D&H mags have it also.
View Quote
LOL

Yeah I see.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

LOL

Yeah I see.
View Quote

I sent them a email last night regarding this.
I'll post up what they tell me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I sent them a email last night regarding this.
I'll post up what they tell me.
View Quote
Sounds good.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Ok, “gash” is a terrible word for what you’re seeing on the back of these magazines. It appears to be a weld seam from where the feed lips are folded over and the back closed up during the magazine shaping process. On my older GI mags - mid-2000s and earlier Okay mags in particular - the seam has been ground down smooth and is almost invisible. It looks like they’re not cleaning them up quite as much now. Maybe it was a requirement of the military contract.

The thing to be concerned about, at least if the issue with the Brownells mags is at all similar, is what the mag looks like on the inside at the rear where these seams are. If you look at the photos in this old post, the Brownells mags had notches on the inside which seemed to have caused the weak spots that led to the cracks. I don’t see that on any of my new Okays, so it could just be that the weld seam failed on the E2 example above.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ok, “gash” is a terrible word for what you’re seeing on the back of these magazines. It appears to be a weld seam from where the feed lips are folded over and the back closed up during the magazine shaping process. On my older GI mags - mid-2000s and earlier Okay mags in particular - the seam has been ground down smooth and is almost invisible. It looks like they’re not cleaning them up quite as much now. Maybe it was a requirement of the military contract.

The thing to be concerned about, at least if the issue with the Brownells mags is at all similar, is what the mag looks like on the inside at the rear where these seams are. If you look at the photos in this old post, the Brownells mags had notches on the inside which seemed to have caused the weak spots that led to the cracks. I don’t see that on any of my new Okays, so it could just be that the weld seam failed on the E2 example above.
View Quote
So on other words, it's just cosmetic?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So on other words, it's just cosmetic?
View Quote
Man...me personally I think it is, like I said, all 16 are the same way. I have a okay with no date code that has those lines in the mag. Also d&h mags also. I said before it looks where the lips where folded. But then you see the mag lip is just split made me iffy about them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#47]
I heard back from okay industries today, and they are replacing the cracked mag at no cost to me. The guy I talked to said he hasn’t seen anything like this in the years he’s worked there, and I’m inclined to believe him since okay makes good stuff.

I’m thinking that the cracked magazine is just a fluke, especially considering that I haven’t seen any other instances of E2 mags breaking like this after being out for about a year now. As Scout said earlier, it looks like the weld simply failed.

As for the creases in the back of the feed lips, if it’s just a cosmetic thing then I really don’t care that much about them. As long as we don’t start to see others failing similarly to mine, I’d say the E2 mags are gtg
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Did anyone see Tim's T91 review where he had feeding issues with a SureFeed E2 magazine?

Taiwanese T91 upper by Wolf
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Did anyone see Tim's T91 review where he had feeding issues with a SureFeed E2 magazine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQQBo0LDpII
View Quote
Interesting because I had a similar issue, twice now using E2 mags in a rifle. The rounds low fed below the non M4 Rifle Feedramps.

Dano is helping me troubleshoot the problem.

He now suspects the E2 mags are at fault but I didn't want to believe it because I had one round low feed from a gen 2 PMag as well.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Rounds-periodically-feeding-too-low-Impacting-feedramps-/66-737729/
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I was told to send them in...they send out new ones.
Page / 21
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top