Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2018 7:31:06 PM EDT
I saw another post about bad date ranges for Brownells mags.  What are the dates and which ones were affected- 20s and/or 30s?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
All of 'em. Whatever tooling they have to form the feedlips puts a crease right below the curve on the back of the magazine.

Dropping partially loaded mags and bolt open reloads kills 'em in short order.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#4]
They feed fine.  The crease is in the inside of the mag at the top, at the back of the feedlips.  You can push the follower down with your pinky and see it.

If you feel scientific, grap a feedlip with a pair of pliers and peel it off.  Then do the same with a different mag.  The difference will be apparent.

I ran a set of (5) Brownells tan follower mags in 2015-16 through about 7K rounds and they were fine when I gave 'em away.  Which is better than the mags I'm using now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of 'em. Whatever tooling they have to form the feedlips puts a crease right below the curve on the back of the magazine.

View Quote
This is just a blatant fabrication with no truth to it.  You're a chicken little alarmist.

This brownells tan follower magazine had survived MULTIPLE 5 foot drops fully loaded onto a ROCK and survived and is still servicable.  Magpul's M3 Pmag did not survive.

It had the crease.

Pictures below are after the multiple drops, FYI.

Here is a link to the original test I conducted
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Magpul-s-New-Polymer-Formula-is-Sub-par-Worse-than-the-old-Gen-/17-610837/?page=1

People are so quick to panic and wildly rush to speculations / judgements without reason or verification.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is just a blatant fabrication with no truth to it.  You're a chicken little alarmist.

This brownells tan follower magazine had survived MULTIPLE 5 foot drops fully loaded onto a ROCK and survived and is still servicable.  Magpul's M3 Pmag did not survive.

It had the crease.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LMljeO0r51k/UXSVDttH4sI/AAAAAAAAAs8/mAidy54nn5w/s800/2013-04-21_16-49-36_776.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0LEC92pJRSs/UXSVIhRsAoI/AAAAAAAAAtE/VB6ZWTsKuA8/s512/2013-04-21_18-31-30_562.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Magpul-s-New-Polymer-Formula-is-Sub-par-Worse-than-the-old-Gen-/17-610837/?page=1

People are so quick to panic and wildly rush to speculations / judgements without reason or verification.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It had the crease.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LMljeO0r51k/UXSVDttH4sI/AAAAAAAAAs8/mAidy54nn5w/s800/2013-04-21_16-49-36_776.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0LEC92pJRSs/UXSVIhRsAoI/AAAAAAAAAtE/VB6ZWTsKuA8/s512/2013-04-21_18-31-30_562.jpg

Neither one of those mags survived. I've actually used g.i. mags and Pmags  to the point of unreliability, I don't just go out and tear my shit up to post pics.

The few cases of Brownells tan follower mags I looked at also had feelips at the wide end of the spec and would allow top round transposition and loss of control of the top round easier than the Okays and Rev M Pmags we had at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I approve of individuals conducting their own testing and it tells you what it tells you.  A lot more than some random stranger rambling on the net.

Let's see your testing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The mags work fine.  If you're rough on 'em, you'll likely spread the creases on a few mags.  I did, as did a buddy who was using them. This is after about 6K rounds on 10 mags with a lot of reload practice. Basically a year of shooting, which is fine.

Original pattern 20 round mags don't even have metal there, but they only handle 2/3 the load stack.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok "scientists".  I just gave you one example, and you assumed that was the totality of my tests.  But fine, discount my tests and experiences.  Please explain to me why @Hendersondefense said that the brownells tan follower USGI mags have held up the best and lasted the longest by far of all other magazine types?

They do more shooting than ANYBODY.

**drops mic**
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Henderson Defense is not doing a lot of reloads, hitting the deck prone, stepping on/kicking mags.   That's what kills 'em.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Henderson Defense is not doing a lot of reloads, hitting the deck prone, stepping on/kicking mags.   That's what kills 'em.
View Quote
Not doing a lot of reloads?  That's what they do all day long!!  I'm sure along the way PLENTY get dropped by customers, staff, etc.  The floors are concrete, btw.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Dropping partially loaded mags and slamming a fresh one home ain't exactly the same thing as having a safety guy load your gun at a bench.

You don't do much other than static flat range shooting.  What's your obsession with these cut rate government mags anyway??
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Negative.  No mag drops onto a concrete floor by customers at Battle Field Vegas. At least not intentional.
... That's all man.

Eta: Henderson post:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20180911-200250-669006.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Negative.  No mag drops onto a concrete floor by customers at Battle Field Vegas. At least not intentional.
... That's all man.

Eta: Henderson post:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20180911-200250-669006.png
Ok, "man".  BTW, with talk like this, I think you're the 12 year old

Quoted:

Decent ammo.  Stripper clips suck balls though.
Grow up.

Unintentional drops are STILL DROPS!  Like I said, my abuse tests have shown the brownells tan follower mags to be tougher than all but the lancers.  Reliability tests have shown them to be neck and neck, and Hendersondefense' long term reliability tests have shown the tan follower's spring type to last many more cycles endurance wise than the traditional type mag springs that are used by the rest of the AR15 magazine types out there.  Companies just re-engineer the mag body and follower and pay no attention to improving the spring, which is arguable the most important part of the mag.

These high rankings in durability, longevity, and reliability coupled with the fact that they are the lowest profile and smallest overall outside dimensions compared to non USGI mags (for pouch fitting, bulk, etc) makes them the best mag IMHO.

Now you can disagree with my analysis, but at least my findings are backed with facts and my own personal experiences and not arbitrary.

That's my opinion, take it or leave it.  Use whatever you like, I don't care.  However, when someone spreads lies about a non existent problem, I step in to put a stop to it.

BTW, I've also had tan follower USGI brownells fully loaded for over 8 years with no issues whatsoever.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#24]
The USMC just did a little mag testing.  Did they go with Brownells mags?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I can't dispute your analysis with logical points so I'll resort to ad hominem attacks.
View Quote
No problem, I got it.

Cosmetic issues do not effect function.

As for the marine corps tests.  If you read the detailed results, the tan follower GI mags actually  were neck in neck in reliability with the Pmags.  And in fact EVEN BEAT THEM IN ONE RELIABILITY TEST.

Also, since you like GI tests so much, the P320 beat the glock in the military tests so it is obviously the superior handgun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No problem, I got it.

As for the marine corps tests.  If you read the detailed results, the tan follower GI mags actually  were neck in neck in reliability with the Pmags.  And in fact EVEN BEAT THEM IN ONE RELIABILITY TEST.

Also, since you like GI tests so much, the P320 beat the glock in the military tests so it is obviously the superior handgun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't dispute your analysis with logical points so I'll resort to ad hominem attacks.
No problem, I got it.

What type of malfunction caused the tan follower mags to do better in that one test??
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#28]
it's amazing how heated a discussion over mags can get.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Especially when it's one brand of magazine that's really not appreciably different than the several other brands of the same exact mag, made to the same spec, for the same customer.

G.I. mags are basically G.I. mags.  There's minuscule differences between the manufacturers, but in the grand scheme of things, they all perform the same.  Magpul's comparison testing has shown that over and over.  It's settled science at this point.

I still enjoy the discussion, why, I have no idea.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top