User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 21
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was told to send them in...they send out new ones.
View Quote
Really?

So they are saying the creases  aren't normal?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I heard back from okay industries today, and they are replacing the cracked mag at no cost to me. The guy I talked to said he hasn’t seen anything like this in the years he’s worked there, and I’m inclined to believe him since okay makes good stuff.

I’m thinking that the cracked magazine is just a fluke, especially considering that I haven’t seen any other instances of E2 mags breaking like this after being out for about a year now. As Scout said earlier, it looks like the weld simply failed.

As for the creases in the back of the feed lips, if it’s just a cosmetic thing then I really don’t care that much about them. As long as we don’t start to see others failing similarly to mine, I’d say the E2 mags are gtg
View Quote
@pizdets

Thank you for following up on this.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Really?

View Quote
I will post up what he said.
Give me time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Really?

View Quote
Sent you a IM
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#5]
@pizdets thank you for the follow up!

@tooly are you planning to post what Okay said to you?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:53:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@pizdets thank you for the follow up!

@tooly are you planning to post what Okay said to you?
View Quote
Here man...This is what I said.

((I bought 16 e2 mags and noticed they all have these "splits/lines/cracks" just under the feed lips. And none have been loaded. But look like they are definitely weak points. Someone on a gun forum has had theirs actually split open.

The date codes on all 16 of mine are 02/18. I also have older okay mags that have been used and dont look this bad.

Id appreciate it if you guys can get back to me on this.

Thanks,

Chris))

His response....

((That is a first for me and I have been here for years, I have truly never seen one cracked like that but, I would be more than happy to replace that magazines for you at no cost to you. I would kindly ask that you ship that back to us as I would like to bring that to our QA lab for analysis. I don’t have a mechanism to pay you for the return shipment but, I would be more than happy to send some extra magazines of your choosing for your troubles and any cost incurred from the return shipment. I sincerely apologize, this is not indicative of the quality OKAY puts out especially on an item that could potentially save or cost a life. Please let me know if you can proceed as outlined. The return address is))
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not surprised at how Okay responded.   Good bunch of people.

I was around the Brownells mags back when that was going on.

The only failures I saw were on mags that were dropped partially loaded a lot.  The rounds would hammer that crease in the feedlips open a little.  I actually took a pair of pliers and ripped the feedlips open on a Brownells and a Center IIRC just to see the difference and it took significantly less effort to pull the feedlips on the creased mag.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Here man...This is what I said.

((I bought 16 e2 mags and noticed they all have these "splits/lines/cracks" just under the feed lips. And none have been loaded. But look like they are definitely weak points. Someone on a gun forum has had theirs actually split open.

The date codes on all 16 of mine are 02/18. I also have older okay mags that have been used and dont look this bad.

Id appreciate it if you guys can get back to me on this.

Thanks,

Chris))

His response....

((That is a first for me and I have been here for years, I have truly never seen one cracked like that but, I would be more than happy to replace that magazines for you at no cost to you. I would kindly ask that you ship that back to us as I would like to bring that to our QA lab for analysis. I don’t have a mechanism to pay you for the return shipment but, I would be more than happy to send some extra magazines of your choosing for your troubles and any cost incurred from the return shipment. I sincerely apologize, this is not indicative of the quality OKAY puts out especially on an item that could potentially save or cost a life. Please let me know if you can proceed as outlined. The return address is))
View Quote
@tooly

Thank you, sir!
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok guys....just got off the phone with NICK!
Great guy...Im not sending any mags out!

I believe him and what hes told me...he's pulled out mags and they look like the pic I took and sent to him. If later on I have any issues Im sure they will handle it and it'll be.....OKAY!
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I believe him and what hes told me...he's pulled out mags and they look like the pic I took and sent to him. If later on I have any issues Im sure they will handle it and it'll be.....OKAY!
View Quote
Sweet!

I see what you did there...

Thanks again for your work tracking down this information!
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sweet!

I see what you did there...

Thanks again for your work tracking down this information!
View Quote
Its all good.
We all fam.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
If the lines are just cosmetic,then there is  absolutely no need to exchange the mags.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#14]
*UPDATE*
THIS COMPANY GIVES A SHIT!
GOOD PEOPLE!

Hi Chris,

UPDATE……..we had a discussion today with the director of quality and our production supervisor. We are ready to jump back into the press to blank another production run but, we are going to pay special attention to this area of the magazine and pull early samples from the run for analysis. Our QA lab wants to take some time to inspect the line on the rear of the feed lips to ensure it has not affect on material strength or function. We do not suspect that it will but, with critical feedback such as what you provided we can never be to safe. You may not know this but all of our magazines including the current USGI magazines all flow through the same process so our commercial stuff gets treated with the same level or care and scrutiny as the government magazines. Everything gets gauges and tested at least three times…………….hence to “used” look of our new grey dry film lube magazines. I will keep you posted as more information presents itself. Again, than you for reaching out Chris, all the best!

Best regards,

Nick Discenza
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
*UPDATE*
GOOD PEOPLE!

Hi Chris,

UPDATE……..we had a discussion today with the director of quality and our production supervisor. We are ready to jump back into the press to blank another production run but, we are going to pay special attention to this area of the magazine and pull early samples from the run for analysis. Our QA lab wants to take some time to inspect the line on the rear of the feed lips to ensure it has not affect on material strength or function. We do not suspect that it will but, with critical feedback such as what you provided we can never be to safe. You may not know this but all of our magazines including the current USGI magazines all flow through the same process so our commercial stuff gets treated with the same level or care and scrutiny as the government magazines. Everything gets gauges and tested at least three times…………….hence to “used” look of our new grey dry film lube magazines. I will keep you posted as more information presents itself. Again, than you for reaching out Chris, all the best!

Best regards,

Nick Discenza
View Quote
Good.  That’s how you deal with a problem, by not ignoring it.

When I have a constructive complaint at work, it falls on deaf ears.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Good.  That’s how you deal with a problem, by not ignoring it.

When I have a constructive complaint at work, it falls on deaf ears.
View Quote
Yes sir....not enough people give a shit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
*UPDATE*
GOOD PEOPLE!

Hi Chris,

Best regards,

Nick Discenza
View Quote
This is awesome...Cuddos to Okay and Nick for the follow up.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
*UPDATE*
GOOD PEOPLE!

Hi Chris,

Best regards,

Nick Discenza
View Quote
Outstanding. Makes me feel good for buying OKAY.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a question.

Do these E2 mags feed the cartridges at a different angle than standard Okay Mags?

Aren't they essentially a civilian version of the EPM?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I posted about the feed angle a few pages back when the subject came up (here). The E2 is not a civilian EPM - the feed lip design is different. The key point is that Okay did not design the E2 with a different feed angle, nor was it optimized to feed M855A1 because they don’t expect the civilian market to have ready access to that round. However, the cut back feed lips allow the rounds to angle up sooner (although my Bushmaster experience doesn’t seem to confirm that). This inadvertently helps feed the rounds at a more optimal angle. See the discussion leading up to the post I linked above.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I posted about the feed angle a few pages back when the subject came up (here). The E2 is not a civilian EPM - the feed lip design is different. The key point is that Okay did not design the E2 with a different feed angle, nor was it optimized to feed M855A1 because they don’t expect the civilian market to have ready access to that round. However, the cut back feed lips allow the rounds to angle up sooner (although my Bushmaster experience doesn’t seem to confirm that). This inadvertently helps feed the rounds at a more optimal angle. See the discussion leading up to the post I linked above.
View Quote
Mine either.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow, very pleasantly surprised with the response from OKAY on this (both with me and tooly). My next order of magazines just might have to be some more OKAY gi mags instead of some more lancers for this reason alone
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 3:42:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Mine either.
View Quote
You emailed him?
I hit ya back with his email.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You emailed him?
I hit ya back with his email.
View Quote
I got it . Thanks.

No I didn't email them yet.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've got several mags with those creased/indented areas at the rear of the feed lips. Okay, D&H, and Brownells -yet to have one split.
View Quote
Thats what I had said...that even a okay mag without a date code has that..not as bad but it does.
I said it was normal.

I think we got worried when the guy posted up the pic with the split e2 okay mag.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Can I ask a favor of you fellow E2 Owners?

Can you check to see if there is any unusual  binding or resistance, even ever so slight; when you depress down on the follower with a wooden paint stirrer or something similar?

I just checked my two designated E2 range mags and I'm getting some resistance ( more with one mag than the other) when I depress the follower approximately 2/3rd way down into the mag body.

I don't get this with any of my other mags, including a brand new Okay Surefeed I just received.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Can I ask a favor of you fellow E2 Owners?

Can you check to see if there is any unusual  binding or resistance, even ever so slight; when you depress down on the follower with a wooden paint stirrer or something similar?

I just checked my two designated E2 range mags and I'm getting some resistance ( more with one mag than the other) when I depress the follower approximately 2/3rd way down into the mag body.

I don't get this with any of my other mags, including a brand new Okay Surefeed I just received.

Thanks.
View Quote
I get this binding, despite how it absolutely should not do so with the anti-tilt follower. In comparison my standard Okay mags do not have any issues what so ever.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I get this binding, despite how it absolutely should not do so with the anti-tilt follower. In comparison my standard Okay mags do not have any issues what so ever.
View Quote
Thank you for checking.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean!
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#32]

This is a pic of my E2 causing a low feed in my Bushmaster 20 inch rifle.( With non M4 Feedramps)

The mag in the pic and my other mag did this twice during last weekend's trip to the range.

Dano, moderator of the troubleshooting forum and malfunction expert, strongly suspects that the E2s and not some other cause; was the reason for my stoppages.

I was initially reluctant to believe him because I had one stoppage caused by a Gen 2 PMag as well

That being said, 80% of my stoppages ( 4 out of 5) occurred in the two E2s.

Also if you go back a few pages, I had one of those.same two E2 Mags malfunction in the same rifle on an earlier range trip.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#33]
@3ACR_Scout had a similar malfunction with his E2 as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
https://i.ibb.co/hZcs43H/IMG-20190303-103115792.jpg

This is a pic of my E2 causing a low feed in my Bushmaster 20 inch rifle.( With non M4 Feedramps)

The mag in the pic and my other mag did this twice during last weekend's trip to the range.

Dano, moderator of the troubleshooting forum and malfunction expert, strongly suspects that the E2s and not some other cause; was the reason for my stoppages.

I was initially reluctant to believe him because I had one stoppage caused by a Gen 2 PMag as well

That being said, 80% of my stoppages ( 4 out of 5) occurred in the two E2s.

Also if you go back a few pages, I had one of those.same two E2 Mags malfunction in the same rifle on an earlier range trip.
View Quote
Just send them a email with pics.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I will.

Did you check yours?
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#36]
If the whole point of the E2 was a higher presentation angle and it's causing low feed malfs in the same type of upper the original recipe mags were built for....  I'd say somethin's fucky.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 12:38:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've got several mags with those creased/indented areas at the rear of the feed lips. Okay, D&H, and Brownells -yet to have one split.
View Quote
I looked at some D&H mags as well and it is there, not as deep but definitely there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 1:25:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I will.

Did you check yours?
View Quote
What...my emails?
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 1:27:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I looked at some D&H mags as well and it is there, not as deep but definitely there.
View Quote
I posted up a pic...I have the same experience.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What...my emails?
View Quote
No your mags.  To see if the follower is binding. The ruler test.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just did.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No your mags.  To see if the follower is binding. The ruler test.
View Quote
I will tonight when I get home.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Just did.
View Quote
Good...let us know whats the deal.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Good...let us know whats the deal.
View Quote
Yeah, really interested to know if I should just stick with the originals...been waiting for some more of the 6 packs of tan E2’s to come in at Botach.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, yes, I should have noted that you did.

I don't know what people did before the internet to compare information.  It's mind-boggling sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I will tonight when I get home.
View Quote
Sounds good.

I'm planning on testing the rest if my E2s as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If the whole point of the E2 was a higher presentation angle and it's causing low feed malfs in the same type of upper the original recipe mags were built for....  I'd say somethin's fucky.
View Quote
Looks that way so far.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#48]
In my post on Page 2 of this thread that I linked to above, I explained that the Okay rep told me that the E2 design is not intended to produce a higher presentation angle. The cut back design of the feedlips is supposed to reduce the friction on the top round, allowing the round to feed more smoothly. He said that the inadvertent effect is that the round can tilt up sooner, because of the cutback feedlips. He explained that this seems to reduce the drag of the tip of the round on the feedramps, which could (again, inadvertently) help with feeding M855A1, although that was not their intent. What I suspect may be happening is that, because the Bushmasters that Itallionstallion and I tried them in do not have M4 feedramps, there is no ramp to start that process of tilting the round up, so the tip of the round is jamming into the flat face below the (rifle) ramps. I’d be interested to know if the T91 upper that MAC experienced this with in his video has M4 ramps.

Now having said that, I can’t guess at why some of these E2 mags may be having this issue, since plenty of magazines have been used in rifles without M4 feedramps over the years.. Maybe the rounds are feeding forward faster than a standard mag and the force of the bolt behind the round pins the round to the flat face below the feedramps? Really not sure. I need to get my mags back out to the range and see if it happens again.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In my post on Page 2 of this thread that I linked to above, I explained that the Okay rep told me that the E2 design is not intended to produce a higher presentation angle. The cut back design of the feedlips is supposed to reduce the friction on the top round, allowing the round to feed more smoothly. He said that the inadvertent effect is that the round can tilt up sooner, because of the cutback feedlips. He explained that this seems to reduce the drag of the tip of the round on the feedramps, which could (again, inadvertently) help with feeding M855A1, although that was not their intent. What I suspect may be happening is that, because the Bushmasters that Itallionstallion and I tried them in do not have M4 feedramps, there is no ramp to start that process of tilting the round up, so the tip of the round is jamming into the flat face below the (rifle) ramps. I’d be interested to know if the T91 upper that MAC experienced this with in his video has M4 ramps.

Now having said that, I can’t guess at why some of these E2 mags may be having this issue, since plenty of magazines have been used in rifles without M4 feedramps over the years.. Maybe the rounds are feeding forward faster than a standard mag and the force of the bolt behind the round pins the round to the flat face below the feedramps? Really not sure. I need to get my mags back out to the range and see if it happens again.
View Quote
Next range trip ( hopefully tomorrow) I'm going to run 4  entirely different mags in my Bushmaster Rifle.( A gen 3 PMag, Gen 2 PMag and two Okay Surefeed 20 rounders that I just received yesterday)

I will report the results.

Also I did the "ruler test" using a paint stick with all of my E2s after I got home from work today.

The vast majority did not bind. The follower traveled smoothly.  On one black Teflon, the follower did not travel smoothly towards the bottom of the mag. I worked it a few times and it broke off whatever was rubbing against the follower and it's smooth now.

I had 4 out of 7 of my dry film mags slightly bind. I did the same thing and all of them are much better now.

One thing I noticed is that the spring is noiser and seems to rub inside the mag body a little more than my regular Okay and D@H Mags.

The spring is also harder to compress than a standard GI Spring.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sounds like they fucked up.
Page / 21
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top