[#3]
Copying POF?
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MRW:
this is very good, and I'm not even interested in buying one.  but the market needs this.
View Quote

Already been done.

https://pof-usa.com/firearm/rogue/
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Unit9:

Already been done.

View Quote

It had already been done by DPMS before the Rogue if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Neat!

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 1:13:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vmpglenn] [#8]
The SFAR's upper and lower will most likely be proprietary, but I'll bet the POF Rogue/Revolution bolt and BCG will be cross-compatible.

I'll be interesting to see if the SFAR takes AR15 handguards; it looks like it already takes AR15 charging handles, FCG, etc. Also would love to see if the barrel extensions are the same as the POF's.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#9]
This thing looks cool to me... at only 6.8 lbs (16.10" barrel), the price point, and a solid list of reasonable materials I think there is definitely promise.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:
The SFAR's upper and lower will most likely be proprietary, but I'll bet the POF Rogue/Revolution bolt and BCG will be cross-compatible.

I'll be interesting to see if the SFAR takes AR15 handguards; it looks like it already takes AR15 charging handles, FCG, etc. Also would love to see if the barrel extensions are the same as the POF's.
View Quote

Ruger states in their promotional media that the barrel extension and bolt, at least exterior dimensions, are the same as an AR15.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Already been done.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
this is very good, and I'm not even interested in buying one.  but the market needs this.

Already been done.

Already been done long before that.

https://308ar.com/dpms-generation-2-rifles-and-parts-upgrades/
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#12]
A sub 7 pound 308 AR at Armalite DEF10 prices but with more features except for that 4140 barrel.

Mixed feelings here
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ArizonaRifleman:

View All Quotes

Already been done.

Try again.

POF designed what is essentially an AR15 that is chambered in 308.

An AR15 upper will literally fit into a Rogue lower. You can use AR15 charging handles, barrel nuts, handguards, and other parts instead of the G2's proprietary stuff that isn't AR15 or AR-10.

G2 was a step in the right direction, but the Rogue and revolution perfected the concept of a smaller, lighter, more AR15-compatible 308.

And from the looks of it, Ruger thought so too.

POF Rogue 308 with BCM mcmr and another one with a 556 Urx 3.1. Try that with a G2.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#14]
A sub 7 pound 308 AR at Armalite DEF10 prices but with more features except for that 4140 barrel.

Mixed feelings here
View Quote

Aren't all rugers CHF at least?
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

View All Quotes

Mixed feelings here

Huh, this showed my ignorance, I just looked it up and you are right.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#16]
CHF and 5R.  Nice.

Trigger sounds cool, too.  4.5# two stage.

Attachment Attached File

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Mixed feelings here

With the price of .308 wouldn't it take a long time to go through the barrel anyway? Or does .308 wear the barrel faster than 5.56?
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By NN300BLK:
With the price of .308 wouldn't it take a long time to go through the barrel anyway? Or does .308 wear the barrel faster than 5.56?
View Quote

Couldnt tell you.  I do know my ruger american in 308 is a 1MOA gun and there's plenty of dudes on the youtube making mile shots with them.  CHF and 4140 seems to be doing just fine.  Plus these are nitrided.  
I suspect you are right.  You'd spend $10k+ shooting out this barrel.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Street value???
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Depending on your accuracy requirements.

My last 308 bolt gun went from
5moa to just over 1moa in 4k rounds. At that point to ME that barrel was shot out as it could not maintain MY requirement of sub moa at 100yds.

The guy that bought it off me to hunt hogs loves it. And after 4k rounds the bolt was butter smooth. So win win for him.

To me a rifle that can't hold sub moa isn't useful. Now I don't expect sub moa with bulk ammo that would be foolish
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Winkychevelle:

Depending on your accuracy requirements.

My last 308 bolt gun went from
5moa to just over 1moa in 4k rounds. At that point to ME that barrel was shot out as it could not maintain MY requirement of sub moa at 100yds.

The guy that bought it off me to hunt hogs loves it. And after 4k rounds the bolt was butter smooth. So win win for him.

To me a rifle that can't hold sub moa isn't useful. Now I don't expect sub moa with bulk ammo that would be foolish
View Quote

Sub-MOA is much harder to achieve in a semiauto, both from a build and a shooting perspective. I'm good with 1.5MOA in a semiauto .308, YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Added to my wish list
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
Try again.

An AR15 upper will literally fit into a Rogue lower. You can use AR15 charging handles, barrel nuts, handguards, and other parts instead of the G2's proprietary stuff that isn't AR15 or AR-10.

G2 was a step in the right direction, but the Rogue and revolution perfected the concept of a smaller, lighter, more AR15-compatible 308.

POF Rogue 308 with BCM mcmr and another one with a 556 Urx 3.1. Try that with a G2.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20220718_202737_jpg-2516504.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20220718_202707_jpg-2516505.JPG
View Quote

Yep whole nother league compared to the G2, I got both.

I actually would feel more comfortable if Ruger used a larger bolt, but same carrier.  Don't trust my Rogue enough to shoot my hot reloads, even with the Aermet bolt
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
Try again.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20220718_202737_jpg-2516504.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20220718_202707_jpg-2516505.JPG
View Quote

Apparently I need a POF Rogue
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Interested in the 20” if they are as good of quality as my SR762 has been they will be great rifles also good price point.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't seeing wearing through a barrel being an issue for me personally. I look forward to watching/reading some reviews that probably will be coming out over the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll be getting one for sure.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Been thinking about a .308 AR for some time and almost bought a SIG but I'm going to wait now and see how these are. It looks like a lot of rifle for the price.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Copying POF?
View Quote

Sweet summer child, do you live under the idea that anyone in this industry has ever had an original thought?
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
Anyone care to venture a guess as to the what 4 extra holes, in the bolt carrier , are there for ?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171545/________________________________________-2516868.jpg
View Quote

Flash suppression

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Flash suppression

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
Anyone care to venture a guess as to the what 4 extra holes, in the bolt carrier , are there for ?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171545/________________________________________-2516868.jpg

Flash suppression

Ruger claims safe venting.
Looks promising at that price range.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:37:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Cool, not a huge fan of the “standard” Ruger ARs these days but more options on the market like this is. Good thing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#34]
I gotta say, and I've never seen, shot, or held the thing, but lately Ruger seems to be doing their homework before new launches. I hope it's not a turd. I just got into large-framed ARs when I built an Aero but strongly considered a Rogue. Now I might be able to have "both!"
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Yes it’s a bit worse than 223 but it won’t matter because of the cost involved.
I don't seeing wearing through a barrel being an issue for me personally. I look forward to watching/reading some reviews that probably will be coming out over the next few weeks.
View Quote

The people that talk about wearing out a barrel are rarely if ever the people that actually wear out barrels. I have no idea what “cheap” 308 goes for but a couple cases will cost more than the gun so it’s pretty silly to worry about wearing a barrel out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:00:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TacCar] [#36]
Are the receivers forged or billet ?
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By TacCar:
Are the receivers forged or billet ?
View Quote

Forged that looks like billet
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm happy that Ruger jumped out in front with the small frame .308 at this price point. As long as it isn't trash, this will sell like hotcakes and everyone will follow. Yes its a POF clone, but that's the game. If this is the new ran away AR .308 platform, hopefully we see the competition release their version soon. Ruger has learned to find a developed concept (Keltec P3AT) and polish it up. They need to just clone a Glock while they are at it. Add a thumb safety for the weirdos out there.

POF has been at it for years, but the close to $2000 price tag made it a 'want' rather than a must have. Had they gotten to the $1200 range, POF would have saturated the market. Even a more stripped down version. With that said, I do understand POF wanting to stick to the premium market and not chase the cheapest AR platform like PSA. Although I do have more PSA stuff than my single POF P308.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#39]
I think there is a point of diminishing returns on a 6.5 lb 16” AR-10 when it comes to recoil.  Even with a brake it’s still 1.5 lbs lighter than a SCAR and 2 lbs lighter than my Colt LE901
In shooting both they are not bad on recoil but still are going to feel it I would be willing to bet this thing kicks pretty bad
8 lbs is a good weight for that platform
Colt also has the swap upper ability and when I got mine it was 1.5k and it shoots 3/4-1MOA with every ball ammo I have put through it from all over the world
The Ruger looks nice for the money but I highly doubt it will be a sub MOA rifle
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:39:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#40]
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:

Ruger claims safe venting.
Looks promising at that price range.
View Quote

I wasn't the one asking, it was Bfoosh06. But still good to know, thanks.

If I see one under $900 I may pick one up and put a dot on it, to keep things as light as possible.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By OldShelbyGuy:
I think there is a point of diminishing returns on a 6.5 lb 16” AR-10 when it comes to recoil.  Even with a brake it’s still 1.5 lbs lighter than a SCAR and 2 lbs lighter than my Colt LE901
In shooting both they are not bad on recoil but still are going to feel it I would be willing to bet this thing kicks pretty bad
Colt also has the swap upper ability and when I got mine it was 1.5k and it shoots 3/4-1MOA with every ball ammo I have put through it from all over the world
The Ruger looks nice for the money but I highly doubt it will be a sub MOA rifle
View Quote

The bolt carrier and bolt are AR-15 sized, so less reciprocating mass than in a standard AR308. This makes a noticeable difference. My POF Rogue is also reasonably gassed, so the action isn't as violent as on many overgassed AR308s.

Honestly, the recoil on my Rogue, which is 6lbs without anything on it, is entirely reasonable and not at all an impediment to shooting. It's not as fast as my 5.56 guns shot to shot, but it's pretty close.

As for accuracy, yeah I don't think the Rugers are meant to be precision rifles. I'll bet they do 1-1.5 MOA with good ammo, though. My Rogue does that pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:49:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#42]
View Quote

My Armalite DEF10 is 7.6 pounds. If you know what to swap out the felt recoil is closer to a 6.8 SPC so it can be done with almost no diminished returns. Serious question here, are you recoil sensitive? A .300 WM or a 7mm Magnum with no brake and a thinned barrel on a Tikka, now that's true diminishing returns.

I wouldn't be buying it to bench rest with.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Street value???
View Quote

Local distributor says about $1100-1200 out the door,  small frame 308's are the next hot item in the AR world.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:05:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NN300BLK] [#44]
I think there is a point of diminishing returns on a 6.5 lb 16" AR-10 when it comes to recoil.  Even with a brake it's still 1.5 lbs lighter than a SCAR and 2 lbs lighter than my Colt LE901
View Quote

It comes with an adjustable gas block with 3 settings according to Ruger and they even provide some general guidance of when to use each gas setting for reliable function in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP9UCDbQ3Ek

And it has a muzzle brake as you pointed out. We shall see how well these two features abate recoil, but it looks they put some thought into this. Further, while I understand that there some differences between my Ruger American and an AR10 that may impact felt recoil, my Ruger American 308 is only 6.6 lbs, has the factory compensator, and the recoil is very manageable.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#45]
The nice thing about the lightweight is once you add all the extras to it (optics, mounts, lights, aftermarket stocks, rails covers, etc.) it can still be a reasonably lightweight platform.  The less expensive (cheap) optics and mounts always weigh more.  So you can very easily add weight, which isn't so easy 9 (or cheap) to take off.

I have a POF P308 as well as a home built AR10, and both are easily 8-9 pounds naked.  Once I add a scope, mount, cheek rest, etc., I'm easily over 10 pounds and probably approaching 12 pounds on the POF.  The AR10 was built to be as light as possible, pencil barrel, Troy lightweight rail.  I even added a lightweight Burris scope to keep the weight down.  That weight is okay for shooting at the range, but I wouldn't use it as a hunting or walking around rifle.  It's just heavy enough to not be handy.  

On the flip side, I have a Keltec RDB 20" bullpup.  To keep it lightweight and handy, I got the lightest optic that was inexpensive as it isn't a SHTF platform for me.  A Weaver 1-3x in an Aero lightweight mount helps keep it light and handy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Very interesting but......I'll wait for the post recall model.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I want one in 6mm Creedmoor!
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#49]

It comes with an adjustable gas block with 3 settings according to Ruger and they even provide some general guidance of when to use each gas setting for reliable function in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP9UCDbQ3Ek

And it has a muzzle brake as you pointed out. We shall see how well these two features abate recoil, but it looks they put some thought into this. Further, while I understand that there some differences between my Ruger American and an AR10 that may impact felt recoil, my Ruger American 308 is only 6.6 lbs, has the factory compensator, and the recoil is very manageable.
View Quote

Muzzle brakes work wonders but 16” 308’s can be pretty brutal. My AR10 was a ban era gun with the pinned brake and people hated shooting around me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Muzzle brakes work wonders but 16” 308’s can be pretty brutal. My AR10 was a ban era gun with the pinned brake and people hated shooting around me.
View Quote

This, 100%. I took the brake off my 16.5" Rogue and replaced with an A2 FH. The blast and noise gets old really fast when shooting strings of fire vs one shot every 10 seconds or whatever using a 22" bolt gun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 36
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top