Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 36
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#1]
6.5 lb 16” AR-10
View Quote

By the time you put a scope on it, and a full magazine, and a light, and buis, etc you will be over 8#
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

By the time you put a scope on it, and a full magazine, and a light, and buis, etc you will be over 8#
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
6.5 lb 16” AR-10

And you put that stuff on most guns you’re at 10# or whatever
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:10:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I just built an M5 16" for right around $1100 all in. I wasn't very interested in building my own AR-10, but I've had good luck with Aero for 5.56 and 300 blackout and didn't want to splash out a lot for my first 308 semi-auto.

The 16" variant of this SFAR is also interesting if it ends up at gun shops for $1200-1300. The POF price tag of close to $2,000 put it close enough to Seekins Precision or DD5 V3 price territory to make me steer clear of it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
You have to admit impressive engineering and documentation work done before release. The online pdf manual shows sweat stains from attention to detail. I notice on page 35, fig 36, the extractor uses a single spring and insert with no Crane o-ring. I will be watching for reports on extraction reliability. Interesting that they didn't go with the DPMS G2-type solid elastomer spring - but I guess it may be PSA proprietary.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mechanicuss:  You have to admit impressive engineering and documentation work done before release. The online pdf manual shows sweat stains from attention to detail. I notice on page 35, fig 36, the extractor uses a single spring and insert with no Crane o-ring. I will be watching for reports on extraction reliability. Interesting that they didn't go with the DPMS G2-type solid elastomer spring - but I guess it may be PSA proprietary.
View Quote

Looks like most of the engineering was already done for Ruger by Armalite & POF.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DancingInAshes:
I just built an M5 16" for right around $1100 all in. I wasn't very interested in building my own AR-10, but I've had good luck with Aero for 5.56 and 300 blackout and didn't want to splash out a lot for my first 308 semi-auto.

The 16" variant of this SFAR is also interesting if it ends up at gun shops for $1200-1300. The POF price tag of close to $2,000 put it close enough to Seekins Precision or DD5 V3 price territory to make me steer clear of it.
View Quote

Do you know how much your M5 build weighs?

It would be interesting to know exactly how much weight savings there is in the SFAR, compared to
a comparable build on a large frame.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Start the recalls
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
I'm glad to see this. Ruger's 2nd entry into the 308 AR market. The SR-762 was a fun gun to shoot and fairly lightweight in its own right. But it was still AR10 based and was pretty chunky.

Anyway, the DPMS G2 was a really interesting take on what a 308 AR could be. Maybe should have been 70 years ago...

I'm curious to see just what parts of the new Ruger are 15 based. Mark mentions the furniture, trigger and charging handle in the intro video. What about barrel nut? Will we be able to use BCM or other 5.56 hand guards? If not, hopefully the aftermarket will hook us up.

View Quote
Yep, it's why my mentioning of the G2 that the size similarities is what POF copied, making the Rogue a defacto G2 copy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ArizonaRifleman:
Yep, it's why my mentioning of the G2 that the size similarities is what POF copied, making the Rogue a defacto G2 copy.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
I'm glad to see this. Ruger's 2nd entry into the 308 AR market. The SR-762 was a fun gun to shoot and fairly lightweight in its own right. But it was still AR10 based and was pretty chunky.

Anyway, the DPMS G2 was a really interesting take on what a 308 AR could be. Maybe should have been 70 years ago...

I'm curious to see just what parts of the new Ruger are 15 based. Mark mentions the furniture, trigger and charging handle in the intro video. What about barrel nut? Will we be able to use BCM or other 5.56 hand guards? If not, hopefully the aftermarket will hook us up.

Give it a rest already.

For it to be a copy it would have to have some kind of similar dimensions. But everything about the POF design isn't the same as the G2.

Bcg size, receiver size, barrel nut size, charging handle size, etc.

POF's design uses AR15 sizes for all of the above, and g2 is larger on all of the above.

So if POF is a de facto copy of the g2, then the g2 is a defacto copy of the standard dpms 308 platform.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#11]
If it isn't a total turd it will be the new standard and the final nail in the G2 coffin.  Stole a March on PSA, they could have flooded the market with G2s and owned it like the DPMS large frames did.

POF was never gonna have wide adoption at their price point.  History is full of inferior products beating competitors because of better marketing and pricing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:11:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vmpglenn] [#12]
Originally Posted By DancingInAshes:

View Quote

16" SFARs are already on Gunbroker for under $1k.

As for the POF, the Rogue is just over $1500 at many stores online.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sowinskian:
If it isn't a total turd it will be the new standard and the final nail in the G2 coffin.  Stole a March on PSA, they could have flooded the market with G2s and owned it like the DPMS large frames did.

POF was never gonna have wide adoption at their price point.  History is full of inferior products beating competitors because of better marketing and pricing.
View Quote

Agreed on all of that, you know your firearms development history too it seems.

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Receivers, barrel, bolt, firing pin. That's what is proprietary to a POF Rogue. Everything else is straight-up AR15 parts. The G2s promised "AR15 compatible" parts but this turned out not to be true for everything from charging handles to handguards. IMHO $1500 for a Rogue is not out of line for a good AR308 rifle. I think POF doesn't do enough marketing around the lower-cost members of their ".308 AR15" family - e.g. it's really hard to find reviews on YT.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:25:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#15]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

Receivers, barrel, bolt, firing pin. That's what is proprietary to a POF Rogue. Everything else is straight-up AR15 parts. The G2s promised "AR15 compatible" parts but this turned out not to be true for everything from charging handles to handguards. IMHO $1500 for a Rogue is not out of line for a good AR308 rifle. I think POF doesn't do enough marketing around the lower-cost members of their ".308 AR15" family - e.g. it's really hard to find reviews on YT.
View Quote
The G2 got the ball rolling as far as proving that a smaller frame could do it in theory. What POF did was refine and fix what the the G2 should have been.

It's akin to the VP70 being the first polymer striker 9, yet it was a POS that Glock copied that same idea but made it more user usable. Every ignorant fool out there calls every striker a Glock copy, yet it's not and tries in flames going down to dismiss HK being the first. The same goes for the G2, POF copied it's idea and turned it into something better.

Credit goes to where credit is due, nothing personal here. Just the facts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:31:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#16]

View Quote
This.

G2 was an interesting step in the 308 ar evolution but at this point is basically relegated to being a footnote in history.

"The future is now old man!" -Dewey
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#17]
First GII I saw on a table at a gunshow looked like an AR15 to me.

I picked it up, realized it was a big heavy in front of the pistol grip and then noticed the long mag. well.  

I got it in both hands, bounced it a couple times and thanked the guy for letting me look at it.  

Went home, thought about it and decided I wanted one.  I really need to shoot it more, it's a nice rifle.  I can put my nose to the charging handle and shoot it all day.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:29:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yellowhammer1] [#18]
Originally Posted By mechanicuss:Interesting that they didn't go with the DPMS G2-type solid elastomer spring
View Quote

Agree. G2 extractor spring worked good. I converted all my G1's to it. Now not available.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:03:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#19]
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By yellowhammer1:

Agree. G2 extractor spring worked good. I converted all my G1's to it. Now not available.
View Quote

Isn't their a member here who was asking in his own thread for ideas on what G2 parts everyone wanted to be made again or at least compatible with?
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:27:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#21]
I’ll say I don’t think these 5,56 frame guns would exist if not for the G2, but they’re far from being a copy of it.

In either event it’s painfully clear the 308 market just shifted entirely. I don’t think I’ll ever buy a large frame SR25/DPMS gun again. PSA likely screwed the pooch waiting so long to release the G2, and Aero should have done this 3 years ago.

My next rifle will likely be this. The Rogue only comes with a stainless barrel now and stainless is stupid. 4140 is still kinda lame, but not nearly as much.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:
I’ll say I don’t think these 5,56 frame guns would exist if not for the G2, but they’re far from being a copy of it.

In either event it’s painfully clear the 308 market just shifted entirely. I don’t think I’ll ever buy a large frame SR25/DPMS gun again. PSA likely screwed the pooch waiting so long to release the G2, and Aero should have done this 3 years ago.

My next rifle will likely be this. The Rogue only comes with a stainless barrel now and stainless is stupid. 4140 is still kinda lame, but not nearly as much.
View Quote

Yep. Also, the cost and availability of ammo for AR15 alternative calibers like 6.5 Grendel and 6ARC went clown-world, while .308/7.62 in steel and brass stayed relatively reasonable. Being able to shoot .308 in an AR15-sized rifle is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I was interested in this until I read that it has an adjustable gas block, that made me very, very interested.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Isn't their a member here who was asking in his own thread for ideas on what G2 parts everyone wanted to be made again or at least compatible with?
View Quote

The elastomer spring is patented, as is the steel upper receiver insert, the bolt and extractor materials, and a few other things DPMS had to develop to get the GII reliable enough to withstand the military trials they were targeting.  According to them, a small frame cant be made military standard reliable without these things, but I guess we'll see.  

If PSA was smart, theyd approach Ruger about licensing these patents to Ruger for a Gen 2 after their cheap price point saturates the market.  Its possible Ruger found their own solution, or a patent workaround.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#25]

The elastomer spring is patented, as is the steel upper receiver insert, the bolt and extractor materials, and a few other things DPMS had to develop to get the GII reliable enough to withstand the military trials they were targeting.  According to them, a small frame cant be made military standard reliable without these things, but I guess we'll see.  

If PSA was smart, theyd approach Ruger about licensing these patents to Ruger for a Gen 2 after their cheap price point saturates the market.  Its possible Ruger found their own solution, or a patent workaround.
View Quote

Well now I'd like to see some YT reviews and not just one or two and hear what their consensus is about it's reliability, thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Seems like PSA owns the GII platform and Ruger has "copied" POF.
Both have merits and they are better than the "standards" we fight with now.
I'm ok with the demise of the old "large frame" standards.
Disclosure: I own all three.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:
Seems like PSA owns the GII platform and Ruger has "copied" POF.
View Quote

If that's what it would take to get one standard finally instead of that mess we have right now, count me in for one model of .308 frame to be THE industry standard.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#28]

If that's what it would take to get one standard finally instead of that mess we have right now, count me in for one model of .308 frame to be THE industry standard.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:  Seems like PSA owns the GII platform and Ruger has "copied" POF.

Spoiler Alert:  All of the small frame manufacturers will tie each others' production up w/ lawsuits & the industry will gradually coalesce onto the Rock River FAL magazine platform.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm no expert! I don't know G2 vs POF vs the world. What I do know, I was using a first gen S&W M&P10 to hunt with and longed for something lighter in a 308 AR platform. I've been looking into a small frame 308 AR for a a short time and almost pulled the trigger on the POF Rouge. However, never did because of the price tag. I then, like everyone here, I saw the release of the Ruger. Few days latter my LGS got one in.....

Build wise I think its a great feature set for the price. As soon as some of this heat chills out here in AZ I'll have it out giving it a go.

FYI, after paying the Kings tax, I was just under $1100.00. Sure it will get a little bit lower once they are out there in more numbers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By medicman5000:  I'm no expert! I don't know G2 vs POF vs the world. What I do know, I was using a first gen S&W M&P10 to hunt with and longed for something lighter in a 308 AR platform. I've been looking into a small frame 308 AR for a a short time and almost pulled the trigger on the POF Rouge. However, never did because of the price tag. I then, like everyone here, I saw the release of the Ruger. Few days latter my LGS got one in.....

https://i.imgur.com/9Np9d4J.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ja2xzEY.jpg

Build wise I think its a great feature set for the price. As soon as some of this heat chills out here in AZ I'll have it out giving it a go.

FYI, after paying the Kings tax, I was just under $1100.00. Sure it will get a little bit lower once they are out there in more numbers.
View Quote

If you've not sighted it in, would you mind field stripping it & giving us pics & weights of the parts?  BCG (pic next to an AR BCG), upper w/o BCG or charging handle, lower w/ buffer & stock removed, buffer (pic next to AR buffer).  Those weights & pics would really help us understand how close to a POF this is, how many AR-15 parts will fit, and where additional weight can be lost.

I expect that will be a very nice rig for you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

If you've not sighted it in, would you mind field stripping it & giving us pics & weights of the parts?  BCG (pic next to an AR BCG), upper w/o BCG or charging handle, lower w/ buffer & stock removed, buffer (pic next to AR buffer).  Those weights & pics would really help us understand how close to a POF this is, how many AR-15 parts will fit, and where additional weight can be lost.

View All Quotes

You're purposing well beyond a field strip. And if he just field stripped it, how would that affect the zero?

I would take Ruger's word at what is compatible anyway...

https://ruger.com/products/sfar/specSheets/5610.html
SFAR MODEL NUMBER: 5610 CALIBER: 7.62 NATO / 308 WIN

• Compatible with mil-spec MSR trigger groups, receiver end plates, charging handles, pistol grips, and adjustable stocks.

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#32]
@medicman5000 what brand offset BUIS are those? They look really nice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

+1. That would be very much appreciated. In particular I'd love to see the bolt face next to an AR bolt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 2:10:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Headspacer] [#34]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Not for $1100, I can wait for the low 900s.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#36]

I've got some Cabela's points that are going to be sacrificed as soon as these are in stock.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I might sell one of my DPMS GIIs and get one of these just to play with.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Yeah, probably not gona be doing that. Not to be a dick, but my goal isn't to convince anyone of anything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By NN300BLK:
View Quote

UTG Pro. They are actually quite nice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By medicman5000:

View All Quotes

Yeah, the newer UTG products, such as the UTG Pro line, seem to be decent, and I'm glad to see them offering products with "Proudly Designed and Made in the USA" markings.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#41]

You're purposing well beyond a field strip. And if he just field stripped it, how would that affect the zero?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  If you've not sighted it in, would you mind field stripping it & giving us pics & weights of the parts?  BCG (pic next to an AR BCG), upper w/o BCG or charging handle, lower w/ buffer & stock removed, buffer (pic next to AR buffer).  Those weights & pics would really help us understand how close to a POF this is, how many AR-15 parts will fit, and where additional weight can be lost.

You don't pop the stock off the buffer tube and clean & lube the buffer spring when you clean your rifle?  I wasn't asking him to remove the buffer tube.

I was hoping he'd pop his scope off & weigh the upper, so we could compare weights w/ the POF, but he's already said he won't, no issues.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By mechanicuss:
You have to admit impressive engineering and documentation work done before release. The online pdf manual shows sweat stains from attention to detail. I notice on page 35, fig 36, the extractor uses a single spring and insert with no Crane o-ring. I will be watching for reports on extraction reliability. Interesting that they didn't go with the DPMS G2-type solid elastomer spring - but I guess it may be PSA proprietary.
View Quote

It looks like RemArms ended up with that patent.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20140259842
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:09:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NN300BLK] [#43]

You don't pop the stock off the buffer tube and clean & lube the buffer spring when you clean your rifle?  I wasn't asking him to remove the buffer tube.

I was hoping he'd pop his scope off & weigh the upper, so we could compare weights w/ the POF, but he's already said he won't, no issues.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  If you've not sighted it in, would you mind field stripping it & giving us pics & weights of the parts?  BCG (pic next to an AR BCG), upper w/o BCG or charging handle, lower w/ buffer & stock removed, buffer (pic next to AR buffer).  Those weights & pics would really help us understand how close to a POF this is, how many AR-15 parts will fit, and where additional weight can be lost.

Whoops! I interpreted that phrasing as removing the buffer tube-- don't know why I drew that conclusion on second read. Sorry about that.

I only remove the buffer/spring when specifically cleaning it and I've removed the stock from an AR15 maybe 5 times in my life. *Shrug*
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 12:02:05 AM EDT
[#44]

Whoops! I interpreted that phrasing as removing the buffer tube-- don't know why I drew that conclusion on second read. Sorry about that.

I only remove the buffer/spring when specifically cleaning it and I've removed the stock from an AR15 maybe 5 times in my life. *Shrug*
View All Quotes

Clearly you've not been on a 2 week FTX & had to turn in an M4 to the Supply SGT.  

Dust gets all up in those damn little blind holes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Somebody give us some range results already. lol
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 1:22:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FightingHellfish] [#46]
I'm no expert! I don't know G2 vs POF vs the world. What I do know, I was using a first gen S&W M&P10 to hunt with and longed for something lighter in a 308 AR platform. I've been looking into a small frame 308 AR for a a short time and almost pulled the trigger on the POF Rouge. However, never did because of the price tag. I then, like everyone here, I saw the release of the Ruger. Few days latter my LGS got one in.....

https://i.imgur.com/9Np9d4J.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ja2xzEY.jpg

View Quote

Was it your birthday present? You made out!

Shooting weather has been great. Let’s see those accuracy and function results.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 1:49:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9a91] [#47]
These are pictures I took yesterday of the various extra gas ports of the SFAR when we got our first one.

I was going to take some of the requested pictures of the bolt face, but the one SFAR we had sold first thing this morning.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/10/2022 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 9a91:
These are pictures I took of the various extra gas ports of the SFAR.

I was going to take some of the requested pictures of the bolt face, but the one SFAR we had sold first thing this morning.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120201/20220909_133959_jpg-2521012.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120201/20220909_134019_jpg-2521013.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120201/20220909_133420_jpg-2521014.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120201/20220909_133756_jpg-2521015.JPG

View Quote

How about the bolt face?
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 9a91:
These are pictures I took of the various extra gas ports of the SFAR.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120201/20220909_133959_jpg-2521012.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120201/20220909_134019_jpg-2521013.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120201/20220909_133420_jpg-2521014.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/120201/20220909_133756_jpg-2521015.JPG

View Quote

That’s a lot of vent holes. I wonder how they arrived at that decision.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

How about the bolt face?
View Quote

Sorry did not take any at the time.

The bolt face was not interesting but the Holy BCG was.

Page / 36
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top