Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I'll be shocked!  Another knock off design!

That is quite possibly Kia's best looking knock off design to date though, so well done for copying other manufacturers yet again.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Ascent is a POS unless you solely drive midgets around. Rear seat is completely useless for teenagers or adults.

The Atlas is baller and I would have bought one if it weren't for VW's spectacularly bad resale. It handled great and had a well mated transmission that took it around with a bit of gusto.

Base model Telluride starts with a 291HP V6 which puts it squarely into the Highlaner/Explorer/Pilot/Atlas territory. If they also mate it to a hybrid drive and get it to 400HP we may need to trade in my wifes Mazda and get me one of these.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the Subaru Ascent and VW Atlas better.

Rode in one at NAIAS today. Saw the unveiling at oress preview a couple years ago. *Meh*.
The Ascent is a POS unless you solely drive midgets around. Rear seat is completely useless for teenagers or adults.

The Atlas is baller and I would have bought one if it weren't for VW's spectacularly bad resale. It handled great and had a well mated transmission that took it around with a bit of gusto.

Base model Telluride starts with a 291HP V6 which puts it squarely into the Highlaner/Explorer/Pilot/Atlas territory. If they also mate it to a hybrid drive and get it to 400HP we may need to trade in my wifes Mazda and get me one of these.
I haven't gotten a chance to get into the back of the Ascent but overall I'm not that impressed with it. The third row legroom in the Atlas is nuts. After trying it myself (6' 32" inseam) I got my wife in (6' 36" inseam) and we could put the second row back down. The Audi Q7 couldn't even fit me in the third row.

The Telluride seemed to kind of fit in between both of those vehicles. I haven't really directly compared any of those to their American counterparts though. The US offerings all seem *meh* though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Some shots from NAIAS this week.

Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
It wasn't that long ago people used to mock the imports. Now take a drive through practically anytow USA and it's all you see....

It looks nice. That's the second time I've said a Kia looks nice. God dammit what the fuck is going on.....
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Probably calling it Telluride because of the relation with black bear pass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-0aJ_kHKKk
View Quote
Is that the ones with turns so sharp you have to drive into it and then reverse back?

And absolutely requires a short wheelbase vehicle?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is that the ones with turns so sharp you have to drive into it and then reverse back?

And absolutely requires a short wheelbase vehicle?
View Quote
If you have a longer wheelbase, you'll need to reverse down one of the switchbacks. With under 120" wheel base and reasonable ground clearance they are multi point turns, but somewhat intimidating as you can't see anything but sky from the driver's seat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The new pictures make it looks like there will be no 3rd row.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
Wow is the front end on that thing ugly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
AWD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like Kia is stepping into the full size SUV market.  This thing looks good and depending on the price may look at picking one up once they are available.  @LittlePony do you have any info about when these will be available or what the price will be?https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427538/2020-kia-telluride-lead-1547481599_jpg-814132.JPG
One source I saw said around 40K...............400 HP, hybrid electric/gas, 30 mpg
4wd/AWD or is it another fwd "tall car"?
AWD
So basically a tall car.

Maybe they can make this one fireproof.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
290hp/250ft-lbs from an N/A V-6, sounds like they are taking a page out of Toyota’s book. Yeah no thanks.
View Quote
Very similar numbers to the Dodge Durango, but the Durango is much better looking and probably a better vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Very similar numbers to the Dodge Durango, but the Durango is much better looking and probably a better vehicle.
View Quote
Dodge is cheap and doesn't come close to competitive. It's direct competitors are the Pilot and Highlander. Both were cheaper and carry a much better history then Dodge. Not sure where Dodge is coming off putting themselves 6,000 above a Pilot, took a hard pass when their base-ish models were 41k few a grand or two off with haggling but I could (and did) jump into a similar Pilot for 34.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sure - if the Suburban were priced 50% less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is "Telluride" Korean for wannabe Suburban?
A Suburban will go 300k if no one lets their wife borrow it.
And a Sub can carry 4x8 sheet goods, so you don't even get the useful cargo room. Does the C to D pillar remind anyone of a Rav4 or the new Highlander? It just screams Toyota to me for some reason.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
IDK about the newest ones, but the last generation of them would go 300k for sure.   You'd just have to replace the instrument cluster, the 4wd control board once or twice, the rear HVAC wiring harness when the blower power wire burned up the clips, the wheel bearings, the fuel pump, the HVAC blend actuators, and a bunch of other odds and ends.   And those are just some of the *common* problems with them, we're not even getting into uncommon stuff.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dodge is cheap and doesn't come close to competitive. It's direct competitors are the Pilot and Highlander. Both were cheaper and carry a much better history then Dodge. Not sure where Dodge is coming off putting themselves 6,000 above a Pilot, took a hard pass when their base-ish models were 41k few a grand or two off with haggling but I could (and did) jump into a similar Pilot for 34.
View Quote
We just bought a brand-new 2018 Durango SXT Plus for about $33k plus government thievery.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#15]
It's a very good looking vehicle, looks better than a Range Rover.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sounds like a town in Colorado to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Telluride? Sounds like some chemical with a Tellurium base.
Not too many Glenn Frey / Miami Vice fans still around, I guess.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And a Sub can carry 4x8 sheet goods, so you don't even get the useful cargo room. Does the C to D pillar remind anyone of a Rav4 or the new Highlander? It just screams Toyota to me for some reason.

Kharn
View Quote
65k vs 35k

And now they won't magically go 300k without investing money.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ski town full of pot headed yuppies?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was thinking more along the lines of...  A Porsche Cayenne and a Range Rover got freaky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a Jeep and a Range Rover copulated. I’m intrigued.
I was thinking more along the lines of...  A Porsche Cayenne and a Range Rover got freaky.
I was thinking vw tourag, Porsche is too good.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
that's a sharp looking truck.

This is kinda sad too me... I think the rise of the Koreans is the death of American autos... they're just tired... their styling is weak, their quality/reputation sucks... The Koreans are young and hungry, they're innovative style-wise and giving value for dollar with efficiency and reliability... this combined with the established Japanese dominance in resale and reliability perception leaves the domestics scraps and in third place I'm afraid..

American auto needs to pull their head outta their asses or they will go the way of the Dodo once these asian manufacturers seriously step into the pickup game... they'll have nothing left.
View Quote
I hate to say it but I would love to see them step into the 250/ 2500 and up truck market.   The American business/fleet market need an injection of fresh energy.  True work trucks moderately and comfortably equipped, diesel and gas burners.  The big 3 seem to be going towards the “Luxury 4x4” with these 70ish K trucks and that’s not a wining situation for small businesses.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Gotta be honest, I love the green color and probably affordable entry price. Plus made in the US sounds great to me. If they offer some sort of hybrid option with 400 HP and 30 MPG I'll be sold. I don't need some body on frame locking diff mud monster, otherwise I'd be looking at a Jeep or 4runner. The AWD will be fine for what I need it for and the occasional in climate weather we get here.

The base V6 is meh and will probably produce meh MPG. I love my Acura but it gets about 20 MPG highway and takes premium, and I drove a TON of miles every year. The only other thing I really think is competition for me is the eco boost Explorers and the tunes that can really make them scoot. The only downside is 22 MPG from the explorer.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

you know those are 2 year old mules right? notably this is just going to be another grocery get that might see gravel every once in a while.

our true off roader is the mohave but it is unknown if we will ever see it here again

body on frame, true 4wd, 8 speed, high and low, locking diffs, and a V6 diesel engine, if only it would come back

https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kr/ko/images/vehicles/all-new-mohave/features/20181008/main_mohave_w.jpg

https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kr/ko/images/vehicles/all-new-mohave/features/20181008/mohave_interior01_w.jpg

https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kr/ko/images/vehicles/all-new-mohave/features/20181008/mohave_interior02_w.jpg
View Quote
I'd rock this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:40:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ski town full of pot headed yuppies?
View Quote
No, no Yuppies, none of them have ever worked. All trustafarians or old money, basically, Aspen, light.

I go over Black Bear Pass at least a dozen times a year, but usually don't go down the switch backs, just to avoid having to deal with that damn town.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:41:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a Sorento.  It's purdy decent for what is.
Already on 3rd recall tho in 2 yrs.  

I'd question the suspension on the Telluride most.
Not sure it would be worth it at that price point.

Especially, if you end up replacing parts every time
you hit a pothole.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Do the rear doors open like normal rear doors?  Or more like minivan rear doors?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:05:19 AM EDT
[#27]
100/0 FWD and 65/35 AWD.
I am not up on modern awd vehicles, so tell me if that is reasonable?  I would think it should be able to go 50/50 for good off road and all wheel drive handling?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:17:58 AM EDT
[#28]
August of last year I was in the market segment for the wife's next lease, I drove everything that I felt I could live with for the next 3 years, Subaru Ascent, VW Atlas, Sorrento, Highlander and Grand Cherokee. Never drove the pilot cause of the sheer size, couldnt sell it to the wife. On the test drives I have a baseline requirement that virtually none of them met, I get up to full highway speed of about 75 or so and then bury the pedal, if there's nothing left to pass at that speed it's an automatic no go for me. I really wanted it to be the Atlas, truly I did, but on the highway the 3.6 V6 was so damn anemic, pretty snappy around town but if you need to blow by a semi at 80+ your gonna be shit out of luck. Same deal with the jeep, worse in fact, the ascent was slow as balls even in town, the sorrento actually had a little more on tap but when I pictured it in my driveway I got a little nauseous. That left the highlander which oddly enough would rip from 80 to 100 like a champ, it also had the heaviest most substantial feel through the wheel and the most stable chassis, definitely plush but not wallowy when pushed hard in turns, rises and dips, in fact as long as you keep the front tires pointed in the right direction the damn thing could really be flogged around with abandon. Combine that with the highest residual value in the segment you end up with lease rates that nobody else could even get close to.

So now it's been 5 months and I continue to dig the driving dynamics of this thing, keep in mind I've had a long line of performance oriented vehicles, last one was a jeep grand cherokee SRT8 which I sold for my current ride, a tundra 4x4 crewmax with total chaos suspension. Dont get me wrong it's not a cayenne or an X5, but man it is predictable and stable as hell at it's own modest limit, and the other intangible I like, these things are the ultimate grey man vehicle, talk about blending in, it's like they are invisible, so you get even more leeway than you would in something that draws attention, all in all, it's typical toyota, overperforms for what it is and makes really good financial sense. I also dig the safety and security aspect as the wife's ride.

So, when I'm ready to re-up, this telluride will be a contender, so will the all new 2020 highlander, the new honda passport that just dropped and the all new explorer, 2020 will be a huge model year for the mid size SUV segment, it's a big bux segment for all the manufacturers, I see us staying in this segment as it does pretty much everything we want, space, light towing, light offroad capability, roominess, good on long road trips etc etc. From my perspective, there's honda and toyota and everyone else. This really gets driven home when you test all of them back to back on the same day.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:53:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

IDK about the newest ones, but the last generation of them would go 300k for sure.   You'd just have to replace the instrument cluster, the 4wd control board once or twice, the rear HVAC wiring harness when the blower power wire burned up the clips, the wheel bearings, the fuel pump, the HVAC blend actuators, and a bunch of other odds and ends.   And those are just some of the *common* problems with them, we're not even getting into uncommon stuff.
View Quote
That is simply the reality of taking a vehicle high mileage. Everything you mentioned is an afternoon, beer in hand DIY fix, other than the cluster, which is 5 minutes to remove and drop in the mail for repair, then another 5 minutes to put back in. Shit wears out in 300k, but most of the failure points are well known and accessible, which is why you see so many GMT800s with such high miles on the road still.

I do not have high mileage expectations for CUVs, especially those with AWD. I do not think the styling is any worse or better than the rest of the segment, and I doubt the drivetrain will be any better or worse than the rest either.

I do think that the manufacturers are pushing the term "fullsize". A fullsize SUV can fit a sheet of plywood, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:24:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Did somebody say unibody?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:30:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nope.

It's Kia speak for "we can reverse engineer this and build it out of crap material and sell it in America because nobody in Korea is going to be stupid enough to buy this steaming pile of shit"

Or some such thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

It's Kia speak for "we can reverse engineer this and build it out of crap material and sell it in America because nobody in Korea is going to be stupid enough to buy this steaming pile of shit"

Or some such thing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:34:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
yep.

and kia has technically been here since the 80s

who do you think built all these things for ford? o boy how things have changed
http://classicvehicleslist.com/pics/bigpics/1989-ford-festiva-survivor-not-chevette-omni-or-horizon-1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kia has been in the US market for awhile. I'm surprised that they haven't stepped into the truck market yet.
In the market?  They are adding U.S. production while American brands are making them overseas.

They have two two huge factories down here.  They considered building a third, then realized they could save $$ by making these bigger and more efficient.  All while adding new vehicles to those factories.

If you're ever scheduled to be near either of the factories, sign up to take a tour.  They book months in advance.  The only areas you don't see are the dust free areas.
yep.

and kia has technically been here since the 80s

who do you think built all these things for ford? o boy how things have changed
http://classicvehicleslist.com/pics/bigpics/1989-ford-festiva-survivor-not-chevette-omni-or-horizon-1.jpg
@LittlePony you too young to remember these ?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:38:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Telluride - To Hell you Ride
View Quote
Well, there is purgatory resort in CO as well.  That would be a great car name lol.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:45:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Looks good.  My wife may let her Highlander go for that.   I’m still waiting for Hyundai/Kia to produce a truck.  Come on guys, you can do it!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:00:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That is simply the reality of taking a vehicle high mileage. Everything you mentioned is an afternoon, beer in hand DIY fix, other than the cluster, which is 5 minutes to remove and drop in the mail for repair, then another 5 minutes to put back in. Shit wears out in 300k, but most of the failure points are well known and accessible, which is why you see so many GMT800s with such high miles on the road still.

I do not have high mileage expectations for CUVs, especially those with AWD. I do not think the styling is any worse or better than the rest of the segment, and I doubt the drivetrain will be any better or worse than the rest either.

I do think that the manufacturers are pushing the term "fullsize". A fullsize SUV can fit a sheet of plywood, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are CUVs out there with crazy high mileage. The most common examples of this are the CR-V, RAV4, and Highlander.

I knew a guy with ~290k on a first gen CR-V. It didn’t have any issues in the 2.5 years or so between the time I met him and the time he traded it off.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I like most of what I see except towing capacity... I don't need off road capability but for my needs I'd like to see 6500 ish lbs towing capacity.

Kia media link
Standard towing rated up to 5,000 pounds3
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Looks like a range rover POS
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 5:53:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Interesting. I’m more interested in the ST explorer though. 400 hp AWD. Probably be crazy markup though.
View Quote
Aviator hybrid will have 450 hp/600 lb ft.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 5:59:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Looks Land Rover-y
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Junk
View Quote
Compared to what?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nope.

Or some such thing.

View Quote
I doubt they would want to reverse engineer chevys AFM, or plastic dash boards, recalled door handles, or any of the other countless class action bullshit the Tahoe and Yukon’s have.....oh, almost forgot the 8 speed tranny and road force balancing tires debacle still going on

No thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:29:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Saw it at the car show Saturday, was kind of surprised that they painted it such a shitty color.   Its like we are reliving the 70's again.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Maybe they can fill the void created by Nissan when they did this to the Pathfinder
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Maybe they can fill the void created by Nissan when they did this to the Pathfinder
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/134638/76D07DC3-2845-4282-B3A0-3C2192390A09_jpeg-817360.JPG
View Quote
RIP.  That was one of the biggest automotive crimes I can remember.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#46]
That thing actually looks really good. KIA be stepping their game up the last few years.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Almost fo'd on a Borrego back in the day; went with a Sorento instead.

I'm keeping my eyes open.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They weren't "production". I looked in the back of the one I rode in (green/black) and it had a 2" diameter tube (looked like fence tubing) connecting the rear shock towers with no third row seating. They sounded different too. I'm pretty sure they were running CNG too as I can't see Cobo letting them run three SUVs nonstop all day indoors with a gas engine. Either that it was just the muffler they used. They all had aggressive all terrain tires on them and some other suspension mods.

What really blew my mind was all the scenery was real. They brought in real mulch, shrubs, rocks, and trees for the course lol.

Also one of the static displays at the Kia booth had a fake ladder and air snorkel on the side lol.
View Quote
None of them there are full-on production models, I have dealt with quite a few single and double digit Stingers at the training, there assembly quality compared to the one we have on the showroom floor are incomparable to each other, ill give you a hint the one on the showroom floor is the one you want, most of those get crushed after a little while anyway
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Well I'll be shocked!  Another knock off design!

That is quite possibly Kia's best looking knock off design to date though, so well done for copying other manufacturers yet again.
View Quote
Your hate sustains me
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nope.

Or some such thing.

View Quote
Ironic coming from a guy that sells GM products.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top