Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the Subaru Ascent and VW Atlas better.

Rode in one at NAIAS today. Saw the unveiling at oress preview a couple years ago. *Meh*.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kia has been in the US market for awhile. I'm surprised that they haven't stepped into the truck market yet.
View Quote
In the market?  They are adding U.S. production while American brands are making them overseas.

They have two two huge factories down here.  They considered building a third, then realized they could save $$ by making these bigger and more efficient.  All while adding new vehicles to those factories.

If you're ever scheduled to be near either of the factories, sign up to take a tour.  They book months in advance.  The only areas you don't see are the dust free areas.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#3]
It's got good looks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks just like a Jeep Cherokee
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Very interested.

Might get rid of the Tahoe for that thing
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Doubtful.

I rode in one during the industry preview on Wednesday and that thing had more BSR/NVH issues over mild off-road type obstacles, noises a uni-body vehicle shouldn’t be making. And that was on day 1 maybe an hour after the doors had opened
View Quote
you know those are 2 year old mules right? notably this is just going to be another grocery get that might see gravel every once in a while.

our true off roader is the mohave but it is unknown if we will ever see it here again

body on frame, true 4wd, 8 speed, high and low, locking diffs, and a V6 diesel engine, if only it would come back

Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]
You'd think that they would clean the tires for an auto show  

Mechanics aren't going to know pricing on vehicles  
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In the market?  They are adding U.S. production while American brands are making them overseas.

They have two two huge factories down here.  They considered building a third, then realized they could save $$ by making these bigger and more efficient.  All while adding new vehicles to those factories.

If you're ever scheduled to be near either of the factories, sign up to take a tour.  They book months in advance.  The only areas you don't see are the dust free areas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kia has been in the US market for awhile. I'm surprised that they haven't stepped into the truck market yet.

yep.

and kia has technically been here since the 80s

who do you think built all these things for ford? o boy how things have changed
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:11:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

you know those are 2 year old mules right? notably this is just going to be another grocery get that might see gravale every once in a while.

our true off roader is the mohave but it is unknown if we will ever see it here again

body on frame, true 4wd, 8 speed, high and low, locking diffs, and a V6 diesel engine, if only it would come back

https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kr/ko/images/vehicles/all-new-mohave/features/20181008/main_mohave_w.jpg

https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kr/ko/images/vehicles/all-new-mohave/features/20181008/mohave_interior01_w.jpg

https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kr/ko/images/vehicles/all-new-mohave/features/20181008/mohave_interior02_w.jpg
View Quote
Those were not mules.

I am well aware of what mules are and what they look like, these were not cobbled together.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm assuming this is a unibody deal, not body on frame. The rig in the OP looks pretty sharp.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Telluride? Sounds like some chemical with a Tellurium base.
Yea, not exactly a fan of the name.
Ahem...

http://www.tellurideinside.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/town-of-telluride.jpg

Been there, skied that.  Fuckin awesome place.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm assuming this is a unibody deal, not body on frame. The rig in the OP looks pretty sharp.
View Quote
yep
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sounds like a town in Colorado to me.
View Quote
Quoted:

Isn't that a place in Colorado?
View Quote
Quoted:
Sounds like a ski town in Colorado to me
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yep
That’s the only thing I’m not crazy about.  Not a dealbreaker. But damn I love a frame.

What are the odds that they finally get into the truck game?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Those were not mules.

I am well aware of what mules are and what they look like, these were not cobbled together.
View Quote
are you saying that a semi hand built, somewhat imprecise welded, and a unlocked engine controls is not a mule?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Interesting. I’m more interested in the ST explorer though. 400 hp AWD. Probably be crazy markup though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:23:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That’s the only thing I’m not crazy about.  Not a dealbreaker. But damn I love a frame.

What are the odds that they finally get into the truck game?
View Quote
maybe for the commercial market, they already have plenty of those.

ask hyundai instead, they have been screwing around with the santa cruz idea
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sure - if the Suburban were priced 50% less.
View Quote
and 87% more reliable.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Probably calling it Telluride because of the relation with black bear pass.
Jeepin’ on Black Bear Pass, Ouray Colorado, Telluride
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I need a full-sized Honda SUV.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yep
Thanks, what motor/motors are they putting in it?

Like I said, good looking rig.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#24]
The Kia's styling is so trucklike and bold, in fact, that you could be forgiven for thinking it's an old-school, body-on-frame SUV along the lines of Chevrolet's Tahoe or GMC's Yukon. (It's also nothing like the body-on-frame Borrego SUV that Kia built for just a year about 10 years ago.) Nonetheless, the Telluride rides on a front-wheel-drive-based unibody platform shared with the Hyundai Palisade. Both will be built at the same Georgia plant where Kia assembles the Sorento.”
View Quote
Crossover, not SUV. Soccer mom ride.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

are you saying that a semi hand built, somewhat imprecise welded, and a unlocked engine controls is not a mule?
View Quote
I’m saying that I do not believe the vehicles that Kia had at the Telluride ride are mules.

If they are, then they should make that explicitly clear. Because, in my opinion, it’s not a good look for them to introduce a vehicle in a market they’re entering that makes as much noise as that one does.

Do I believe the vehicles that are used are job 1 vehicles? No. Most likely they are either VP or PS builds, depending on the timing. And those builds are NOT mules - they’re production intent.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I waiting for the AWD Soul LP promised a while back. They are thinking 2020 or so.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#28]
McPherson suspension?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Those off road models look good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:50:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I waiting for the AWD Soul LP promised a while back. They are thinking 2020 or so.
View Quote
still waiting for the AWD soul as well
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Telluride? Sounds like some chemical with a Tellurium base.
The gheyest Colorado town
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Looks like Kia is stepping into the full size SUV market.  This thing looks good and depending on the price may look at picking one up once they are available.  @LittlePony do you have any info about when these will be available or what the price will be?https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427538/2020-kia-telluride-lead-1547481599_jpg-814132.JPG
View Quote
Looks kinda good!
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
its a kia, its gonna have a strange name
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-0aJ_kHKKk
View Quote
I laugh at the hard core Jeep thing.  Back in the 80’s, I did Black Bear in a stock S-10 Blazer in a snowstorm in October.  It was interesting.  We stayed at the New Sheridan.  We were told that people would rent Jeeps and abandon them at the hairy spot, mostly Texans.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nope.

It's Kia speak for "we can reverse engineer this and build it out of crap material and sell it in America because nobody in Korea is going to be stupid enough to buy this steaming pile of shit"

Or some such thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is "Telluride" Korean for wannabe Suburban?
Nope.

It's Kia speak for "we can reverse engineer this and build it out of crap material and sell it in America because nobody in Korea is going to be stupid enough to buy this steaming pile of shit"

Or some such thing.

Or, “big money to be made in big SUV market in the US, let’s give it a go.”

Kia has their domestic market figured out, but the US is where the real money is.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
its gonna be interesting, its going to be made in gerogia only for now making it one of the few kias not available in Korea itself.

its bigger than a sorento
View Quote
Was curious as to where it would be made. No way in hell something like that would sell here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This!
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm sure T-ride will fucking love that.
View Quote
Ha ha!

Aspen got a Dodge

Maybe a Subaru Sundance?

A Suzuki Steamboat?

A VW Vail?

A Buick Breckenridge?

A Chevy Crested Butt (Mahk would love it)
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Saw this about a month ago when the teaser was released.

It looks like they couldn't decide whether to knock off the Ford Expedition or Cadillac Escalade, so they split it down the middle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:09:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Looks like Kia is stepping into the full size SUV market.  This thing looks good and depending on the price may look at picking one up once they are available.  @LittlePony do you have any info about when these will be available or what the price will be?https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427538/2020-kia-telluride-lead-1547481599_jpg-814132.JPG
View Quote

Ford Grille with Caddy headlights.

Looks like shit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:12:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Good looking ride.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:12:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Mpg?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah the name doesn't bother me, just that fucking town ended up there on an offroading trip, out of all the towns we hit, fucking Telluride made it damn clear that they didn't like us driving on "their" mountain

It's like a high altitude San Francisco
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:15:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I like the Subaru Ascent and VW Atlas better.

Rode in one at NAIAS today. Saw the unveiling at oress preview a couple years ago. *Meh*.
View Quote
The Ascent is a POS unless you solely drive midgets around. Rear seat is completely useless for teenagers or adults.

The Atlas is baller and I would have bought one if it weren't for VW's spectacularly bad resale. It handled great and had a well mated transmission that took it around with a bit of gusto.

Base model Telluride starts with a 291HP V6 which puts it squarely into the Highlaner/Explorer/Pilot/Atlas territory. If they also mate it to a hybrid drive and get it to 400HP we may need to trade in my wifes Mazda and get me one of these.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#45]
This thing is here to compete against the Pilot, Highlander, Traverse/Acadia, Journey, Pathfinder, etc.

I have little interest in this segment, but it shouldn't be hard for Kia to kick GM's, FCA's, and Nissan's asses.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:26:57 AM EDT
[#46]
So are these things Tahoe sized or smaller?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So are these things Tahoe sized or smaller?
View Quote
Similar-ish physical size, but a different architecture (CUV).
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:31:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Looks like a Jeep and a Range Rover copulated. I’m intrigued.
View Quote
My first thought. I like it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:36:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I laugh at the hard core Jeep thing.  Back in the 80's, I did Black Bear in a stock S-10 Blazer in a snowstorm in October.  It was interesting.  We stayed at the New Sheridan.  We were told that people would rent Jeeps and abandon them at the hairy spot, mostly Texans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-0aJ_kHKKk
I laugh at the hard core Jeep thing.  Back in the 80's, I did Black Bear in a stock S-10 Blazer in a snowstorm in October.  It was interesting.  We stayed at the New Sheridan.  We were told that people would rent Jeeps and abandon them at the hairy spot, mostly Texans.
It is far from a hardcore Jeep trail it is however a steep narrow road and if you did it in a snow storm you are nuts
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Those were not mules.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you know those are 2 year old mules right? notably this is just going to be another grocery get that might see gravale every once in a while.

https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kr/ko/images/vehicles/all-new-mohave/features/20181008/main_mohave_w.jpg

https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kr/ko/images/vehicles/all-new-mohave/features/20181008/mohave_interior01_w.jpg

https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kr/ko/images/vehicles/all-new-mohave/features/20181008/mohave_interior02_w.jpg
Those were not mules.

They weren't "production". I looked in the back of the one I rode in (green/black) and it had a 2" diameter tube (looked like fence tubing) connecting the rear shock towers with no third row seating. They sounded different too. I'm pretty sure they were running CNG too as I can't see Cobo letting them run three SUVs nonstop all day indoors with a gas engine. Either that it was just the muffler they used. They all had aggressive all terrain tires on them and some other suspension mods.

What really blew my mind was all the scenery was real. They brought in real mulch, shrubs, rocks, and trees for the course lol.

Also one of the static displays at the Kia booth had a fake ladder and air snorkel on the side lol.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top