BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are CUVs out there with crazy high mileage. The most common examples of this are the CR-V, RAV4, and Highlander.

I knew a guy with ~290k on a first gen CR-V. It didn’t have any issues in the 2.5 years or so between the time I met him and the time he traded it off.
View Quote
A first gen CRV is not the same animal as a new Kia. "I know a guy" is anecdotal. I know a guy whose Highlander blew up at 150k; that doesn't mean most Highlanders will blow up at 150k.

Just for giggles, get on autotrader and plug in Sub/Yukon/1500 and see how many over 200k there are close to you.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Saw it at the car show Saturday, was kind of surprised that they painted it such a shitty color.   Its like we are reliving the 70's again.
View Quote
I can only hope

Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I doubt they would want to reverse engineer chevys AFM, or plastic dash boards, recalled door handles, or any of the other countless class action bullshit the Tahoe and Yukon’s have.....oh, almost forgot the 8 speed tranny and road force balancing tires debacle still going on

No thanks
View Quote
Indeed
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#4]
So now they’re reduced to naming cars after Tim McGraw songs?

When is Dodge doing the Indian Outlaw?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So now they’re reduced to naming cars after Tim McGraw songs?

View Quote
Automobile names are like band names, all the good ones were taken decades ago
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
that's a sharp looking truck.

This is kinda sad too me... I think the rise of the Koreans is the death of American autos... they're just tired... their styling is weak, their quality/reputation sucks... The Koreans are young and hungry, they're innovative style-wise and giving value for dollar with efficiency and reliability... this combined with the established Japanese dominance in resale and reliability perception leaves the domestics scraps and in third place I'm afraid..

American auto needs to pull their head outta their asses or they will go the way of the Dodo once these asian manufacturers seriously step into the pickup game... they'll have nothing left.
View Quote
Roflmao.

The American consumer that believes that is the end of domestic autos.

Its been bantered which autos are the parents of this thing. All of the Korean autos-new kids on the proverbial block - look like something domestic or import already in existence.

Lastly-anybody who buys a Korean car, gets the vehicle they deserve.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, I really am liking that.  If its priced good it will be a hot seller
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sounds like a town in Colorado to me.
View Quote
A really fucking odd town.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
not to hijack, but we test drove a buick SUV and a subaru SUV...the difference in quality was unbelievable.  and i am/was a GM guy....

if thats all the better GM/domestics can do....ug...
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Roflmao.

Its been bantered which autos are the parents of this thing. All of the Korean autos-new kids on the proverbial block - look like something domestic or import already in existence.

View Quote
Well, not everyone deserves a dependable, affordable, and loaded with gizmos automobile, there is some evil people out there

What do you mean Hyundai and Kia are the new kids? They are both over 70 years old
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Damn, I really am liking that.  If its priced good it will be a hot seller
View Quote
Sales people all ready have a raging boner for it
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Roflmao.

View Quote
Pretty sure the GM/Ford/Dodge guys were saying the same thing about Honda and Toyota in 1981.  Look at Detroit now.

The Koreans are building good stuff.  They are much more competitive with the Japanese than anything domestically built, and Honda and Toyota will need to up their game to stay ahead of them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was thinking more along the lines of...  A Porsche Cayenne and a Range Rover got freaky.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a Jeep and a Range Rover copulated. I'm intrigued.
I was thinking more along the lines of...  A Porsche Cayenne and a Range Rover got freaky.
This
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, not everyone deserves a dependable, affordable, and loaded with gizmos automobile, there is some evil people out there

What do you mean Hyundai and Kia are the new kids? They are both over 70 years old
View Quote
Making bicycle parts is a hard sell on consistent manufacturing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Making bicycle parts is a hard sell on consistent manufacturing.
View Quote
You got to start somewhere, we've made all sorts of shit for decades, mostly trucks really, we did make some cars beforehand but then the iron handed Korean government at The Time banned Kia from manufacturing them for a while until the 80s
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Isnt their 1st foray into "full size" SUV's. THey had the Borrego a number of years ago. V8, rwd/4wd and could tow.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Isnt their 1st foray into "full size" SUV's. THey had the Borrego a number of years ago. V8, rwd/4wd and could tow.
View Quote
The Borrego is still around just not in the states, I would not mind a new one
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And why isn't it sold here? Reusing an existing design would be far cheaper than a brand new one.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sales people all ready have a raging boner for it
View Quote
What is the MPG on it?  
What do they see the price point being around?  If they can do this near 30k you will see them everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What is the MPG on it?  
What do they see the price point being around?  If they can do this near 30k you will see them everywhere.
View Quote
mid 20s i bet, and i think somewhere between 30 and 40k, there is no cloth option from what i hear, they all have leather just like the stinger.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And why isn't it sold here? Reusing an existing design would be far cheaper than a brand new one.

Kharn
View Quote
its now long in the tooth on some parts of its architecture, body on frame sucks for crash tests, heavy, most are v6 diesels, crappy average mileage "new 8 speed made it way better though", and import shenanigans

its called the Mohave everywhere else, it would be really nice if they brought it back though, 8 speed, true 4WD with high/low and a true transfer case
this direct link will take you too it https://www.kia.com/kr/vehicles/mohave/features.html

the page is all in Korean but you will get the point.

@Kharn
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Kia actually had a full size SUV previously called the Borrego.  A co-worker rented one, it was bland styling wise but was well built, roomy, and capable.  Had they prized it to a point where it was a clear discount over, say, an Explorer....and gussied it up just a bit.....I think it would have sold well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

mid 20s i bet, and i think somewhere between 30 and 40k, there is no cloth option from what i hear, they all have leather just like the stinger.
View Quote
No cloth?   Not cool.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No cloth?   Not cool.
View Quote
go be poor somewhere else?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not poor. Just an owner of a Belgian mal.  Looks like seat covers are still a thing
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That is simply the reality of taking a vehicle high mileage. Everything you mentioned is an afternoon, beer in hand DIY fix, other than the cluster, which is 5 minutes to remove and drop in the mail for repair, then another 5 minutes to put back in. Shit wears out in 300k, but most of the failure points are well known and accessible, which is why you see so many GMT800s with such high miles on the road still.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IDK about the newest ones, but the last generation of them would go 300k for sure.   You'd just have to replace the instrument cluster, the 4wd control board once or twice, the rear HVAC wiring harness when the blower power wire burned up the clips, the wheel bearings, the fuel pump, the HVAC blend actuators, and a bunch of other odds and ends.   And those are just some of the *common* problems with them, we're not even getting into uncommon stuff.
That is simply the reality of taking a vehicle high mileage. Everything you mentioned is an afternoon, beer in hand DIY fix, other than the cluster, which is 5 minutes to remove and drop in the mail for repair, then another 5 minutes to put back in. Shit wears out in 300k, but most of the failure points are well known and accessible, which is why you see so many GMT800s with such high miles on the road still.
I'll put it this way:  My Suburban has had all of those and more at less than 150,000.   None of my other vehicles have had half as many things break as my Suburban.   And I can't say I got a lemon, because everything that breaks on the Suburban turns out to be "Oh, yeah, those break all the time, it's well known."   And the prices GM wants for a new 4x4 control board or instrumentation cluster are amazingly high, so unless you want to REALLY get taken to the cleaners, you have to know enough to source your own steppers and rework a board, reflow the PCB on the 4x4 control board, etc..  Oh yeah, and the clear coat is flaking off, because GM.  And the plastic latches on the seats break if you look at them.   And the levers that let you tilt the middle row break if you touch them wrong.  And a hundred other things.  It's got a great motor and trans, it's just everything else that's a piece of crap.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Has a Range Rover vibe
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I hate leather seats. I would pay extra for non-leather seats.

When it's cold, the seats are freezing, when it's hot the seats will burn you. Oh, let's fix that by installing seat heating elements and ventilation fans, or even A/C ducting, adding tons of crap to go wrong and break over time, or just choose a better seat cover material.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:54:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So now they're reduced to naming cars after Tim McGraw songs?

View Quote
It's a ski town and off-road destination in Colorado.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:11:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks like a range rover in the front and Volvo xc90 in the back. I kind of dig it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:20:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I like the looks of it but man those tires are tiny.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:50:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Has a Range Rover vibe
View Quote
It is a tall station wagon, unibody, IFS/IRS so it fundamentally is the same as a LR. I bet the LR has much nicer interior appointments and features, though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:02:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Saw it at the car show Saturday, was kind of surprised that they painted it such a shitty color.   Its like we are reliving the 70's again.
View Quote
The green? I like it.

I'm tired of driving around looking at grey scale non-colors. I'm ready for a return to the '70s and '80s two tone paint jobs and the '90s where looking at an interstate was like looking at a bunch of M&Ms/Skittles in rows.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:10:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A first gen CRV is not the same animal as a new Kia. "I know a guy" is anecdotal. I know a guy whose Highlander blew up at 150k; that doesn't mean most Highlanders will blow up at 150k.

Just for giggles, get on autotrader and plug in Sub/Yukon/1500 and see how many over 200k there are close to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are CUVs out there with crazy high mileage. The most common examples of this are the CR-V, RAV4, and Highlander.

I knew a guy with ~290k on a first gen CR-V. It didn’t have any issues in the 2.5 years or so between the time I met him and the time he traded it off.

The implied message from the post I replied to was that CUVs can't handle high mileage service lives. That's crap.

The ones that are based on quality cars hold up well. I listed those three models because they were around when CUVs were just starting to gain traction.

I've known a few people with high mileage Suburbans/Tahoes, too. Most of those have needed a transmission or three to get where they are in life. The repair gets paid for because the vehicles are worth it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:16:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Almost looks like an Explorer at first glance.
View Quote
Or a bar of soap.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:32:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I like most of what I see except towing capacity... I don't need off road capability but for my needs I'd like to see 6500 ish lbs towing capacity.

Kia media link
Standard towing rated up to 5,000 pounds3
View Quote
Yeh, for a "full size" SUV, 5,000 lbs. is pretty lame.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

When it's cold, the seats are freezing, when it's hot the seats will burn you. Oh, let's fix that by installing seat heating elements and ventilation fans, or even A/C ducting, adding tons of crap to go wrong and break over time, or just choose a better seat cover material.
View Quote
I've had at least two cars with heated cloth seats.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeh, for a "full size" SUV, 5,000 lbs. is pretty lame.
View Quote
It's what I like to call Asian full size

When I think of American full-size I think of an Expedition
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've had at least two cars with heated cloth seats.
View Quote
Many Kias are the same way
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
its now long in the tooth on some parts of its architecture, body on frame sucks for crash tests, heavy, most are v6 diesels, crappy average mileage "new 8 speed made it way better though", and import shenanigans

its called the Mohave everywhere else, it would be really nice if they brought it back though, 8 speed, true 4WD with high/low and a true transfer case
this direct link will take you too it https://www.kia.com/kr/vehicles/mohave/features.html

@Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

@Kharn
GM isn't building the 1990s GMT400 series Tahoe/Suburban anymore either, companies have to refresh and redesign occasionally instead of putting out the same model and calling it a day when it gets stale. But convincing Americans that Koreans understand heavy trucks/SUVs?

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
GM isn't building the 1990s GMT400 series Tahoe/Suburban anymore either, companies have to refresh and redesign occasionally instead of putting out the same model and calling it a day when it gets stale. But convincing Americans that Koreans understand heavy trucks/SUVs?

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

@Kharn

Kharn
Kia has only been producing trucks for near 60 years now
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe the rest of the world is out of step with you. I love it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

@Kharn

Kharn
True, and so does Subaru's parent company, but neither one is able to change public perception of their brand in the US to market an F150 competitor.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Well....

IT looks good.  But holy shit those marketing wanketeers should have spoken to some actual off-road adventure trekking up fitters about what and where they were going to place pieces of equipment on those demo vehicles.

As they are, it's obvious they just "let's make it look cool" and went with it.

Yes, Telluride is a town in Colorado.

No, Black Bear Pass is not THAT bad.  It's not technical, just steep.  Yes it has tight turns.  Yes you'll need to make them a three point turn in anything but a stock two door jeep (or similar) wheelbase.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Waiting on the one ton crew cab version.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

@Kharn
View Quote
2/3/2 seating like the Atlas but it doesn't look like there is much leg room in the last row.

If it has true 4wd, starts in the low 30s, and can compete with 55k Tahoe and Expedition then Kia will have a real winner. However, that 3rd row and engine choice is going to be key.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

2/3/2 seating like the Atlas but it doesn't look like there is much leg room in the last row.

If it has true 4wd, starts in the low 30s, and can compete with 55k Tahoe and Expedition then Kia will have a real winner. However, that 3rd row and engine choice is going to be key.
View Quote
problem is that i think that is not going to happen, it seems like they might be phasing out the old Mohave soon in the next few years so that chapter might close for good.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's what I like to call Asian full size

When I think of American full-size I think of an Expedition
View Quote
Yes, I'm in Korea and we have multiple older and newer Kia trucks of all sizes from mini-size Towners to Multi-tons.

They are all good, but they are built for a very asian market.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

problem is that i think that is not going to happen, it seems like they might be phasing out the old Mohave soon in the next few years so that chapter might close for good.
View Quote
Telluride will probably be the successor, right? Take a note from the new Soccer-mom mobile known as the Chevy Traverse, basically a minivan on a SUV chassis.

The Santa Fe had a good 4wd when they came out but Hyundai decided to fuck with it.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top