Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They bought out an exotic pet forum that I was a member of and the forum turned to shit after that. They shit the bed on moderators firing most of the ones on the board and bringing in outsiders that had no idea what was going on. They allowed shill accounts out the wazoo and then tripled the advertising rates for sponsors (most who were very supportive if the hobby) driving them off. Then they started charging to use the classifieds in addition to regular membership and free memberships couldn't see anything. That forum is mostly dead now and it isn't the first or last they have done that too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How would you feel about continuing to be a member and posting on a gun forum that was bought out  by a foreign internet media corporation?

They bought out an exotic pet forum that I was a member of and the forum turned to shit after that. They shit the bed on moderators firing most of the ones on the board and bringing in outsiders that had no idea what was going on. They allowed shill accounts out the wazoo and then tripled the advertising rates for sponsors (most who were very supportive if the hobby) driving them off. Then they started charging to use the classifieds in addition to regular membership and free memberships couldn't see anything. That forum is mostly dead now and it isn't the first or last they have done that too.

Pretty much what happened to a forum I am a mod on, they kept 2 old mods, and the door has been opened so far it is the most fucked up and PC I have ever been on...I actually was the reason the added no politic shit in General discussions...still do it and tow the line

with stuff like "I fly my flag because I can" and a couple captain Higgins stuff, they do not touch Memorial day or Veterans day though
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#2]
some large company bought out ls1tech years ago...i was a moderator there and it turned to crap

some other company bought out sniperhide and started charging...haven't been back

having a board that is usually owned by a single or few people with THAT interest in mind is usually a better thing...
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#3]
VerticalScope just bought HKpro.com..

The new female admin announced it on forum and was asked if she even owned a gun...she said.."uh no..."

I also noticed a few of my posts were deleted (talking about shill bidding on Gunbroker)

I've been on that forum for 11 years and know the original owner..but crap.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Oh, they bought pirate4x4, I didn't know that  

https://theadminzone.com/threads/verticalscope.39544/

View Quote

That is where I remembered that name from.
Pirate seems to be same ol same ol FWIW.

ETA: Pirate changed a bit but I equated that to the decrease in popularity of rock donkeying more then the buyout.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Some more digging turns up the fact that the majority owner of Vertical Scope is Torstar the same company that publishes the anti - gun newspaper, The Toronto Star.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2015/07/29/torstar-buys-stake-in-digital-media-company.html

Torstar Corp., which publishes the Toronto Star, has acquired a 56 per cent stake in digital media company VerticalScope Holdings Inc., for $200 million, the company announced Wednesday.

VerticalScope owns and operates more than 600 online forums and premium content sites across North America, including AutoGuide.com, PetGuide.com, Motorcycle.com and ATV.com.

The Toronto-based firm is the type of substantial, high-growth investment Torstar has been seeking since selling its stake in Harlequin book publishing in 2014, president and chief executive officer David Holland told analysts on a conference call after the announcement.

“As you know, we’ve been assessing opportunities to employ the capital that resulted from the Harlequin sale,” Holland said.

With more than 80 million unique visitors and more than 500 million page views a month, VerticalScope’s websites offer advertisers access to large audiences, Torstar said.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Every knee shall bow to the Canadian Empire! / Toute personne doit executér prosterner devant l'Empire Canadien!
View Quote

I see you saved yourself from a fine already.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

if you ever graduate from high school, and get a job

read up on non compete clauses

edit - added where one would have to worry about non compete clauses

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't care

even if they bought forums to close them you can just start new ones... who owns ar15rifles.com, etc

Lol. Economics much?

If Soros was pumping money into the industry thats a good thing for us.  Those site owners would laugh all the way to the bank then turn around and start another site.  Blow the rest on hookers.

Silly myth keeps floating around.  We welcome his investment.

if you ever graduate from high school, and get a job

read up on non compete clauses

edit - added where one would have to worry about non compete clauses

CoC much?

This went from silly to insults pretty quick.
Is it my turn for personal attacks now?

Where to begin? Liberal, commie, etc?  
Shall I insult your lack of class, therefore how you were raised?  Which might be an insult to your momma, your heritage, etc.
Then some homophobic and cultural slurs... Research your posts and get really personal.  
Then Arock you.

What was this thread about?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Meh.   The value of this forum is in the Membership.  

What would the censorship be like?  More?  Less?   The Same?
View Quote

Nope.  The value to the forum owner is money.  

Income is generated by:
1) Direct fees/sales (membership fees, merch.)
2) Advertising revenues
3) Data mining to sell to other companies

Costs are IP (1x payment), bandwidth and tech expenses (sort of fixed), and personnel.  The last is where they will try to save money by consolidating mods across all their holdings.  Idea is that you don't need to know the subject to moderate, just a set of policies.

The value to the forum members?  Largely information.  We pay for that information by being advertised to, having our data sold, and sometimes directly. (Note, speaking generally, not talking about Arfcom per se.)  The information is largely generated by the members, but not always, and when they leave their previous contributions generally stay.  But the forum does not have a copyright on that information (well, they might), and it can be easily reposted elsewhere.

Companies buy a forum thinking they are getting the IP, infrastructure, and membership data.  Which is true - once.  They then need to keep the membership happy, or the information generators will leave and take members with them, reducing the value of the data mining and advertising.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess we'll have to start RyansSteakhouse.com
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]
VS bought ACRForum.com not long ago as well.  It was the best place for ACR tech and 3rd party stuff since Bushmaster likes to pretend they don't manufacture them.  Fully expect it to go to shit soon.

Didn't know they bought HKPro.  That is unfortunate.

While it is probably only a misguided attempt at grabbing sweet, sweet advertising dollars, I really don't like the idea of all this forum purchasing.  It's served the radio markets so well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Has Facebook made Arfcom an offer yet?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

How would you feel about continuing to be a member and posting on a gun forum that was bought out  by a foreign internet media corporation?
View Quote

Holy shit, you are such a conspiracy theorist, it's hilarious.  

"WHAT IF CANADIANS TOOK OVER ALL OF THE THINGS!  HOW WOULD YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT!???!!"

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I always crackup when someone buys an internet forum like it's some top business decision that will yield massive returns.

You are better off investing in a lemonade stand.

The only reason I can see if it's agenda or control driven, such as a parts company wants to pimp their products and control the reviews.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's a shame since Vertical Scope has just acquired SIGtalk, a previously worthwhile firearms forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup, it's been going downhill ever since.

That's a shame since Vertical Scope has just acquired SIGtalk, a previously worthwhile firearms forum.

Hopefully they buy sigforum...

Wait then their meglomanic leader would get paid.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Good day.

Welcome to our gun forum, eh.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#18]
My concern would be the subscriber information for those paying members.

What is the company going to do with the address and other info required?  Food for thought.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Do NOT try to go to: www.arfcom.com

Bad shit will happen.  Virus blocker and malware alerts went off bigtime

Anyway, not sure who owns that site.....but it aint' good
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Competition breeds improvement.

Good.
View Quote

That only works if the sites get better. As others have posted, they actually get worse.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Good.
View Quote

That only works if the sites get better. As others have posted, they actually get worse.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#24]
soros
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Hay , look , I spent 2 years  wages to become a life member, I never got a stock certificate or anything, If the greedy owners of this site sell it I want my fair share.

No homo, I love this place !  

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well there is a site I can delete from my bookmarks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Meh.   The value of this forum is in the Membership.  

What would the censorship be like?  More?  Less?   The Same?
View Quote

Go read up on Vertical Scope. Adds pout the ass and spambots posting in threads.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The new female admin announced it on forum and was asked if she even owned a gun...she said.."uh no..."

I also noticed a few of my posts were deleted (talking about shill bidding on Gunbroker)

View Quote

There is another bookmark I can delete.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

"WHAT IF CANADIANS TOOK OVER ALL OF THE THINGS!  HOW WOULD YOU FEEL ABOUT ABOOT THAT!???!!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"WHAT IF CANADIANS TOOK OVER ALL OF THE THINGS!  HOW WOULD YOU FEEL ABOUT ABOOT THAT!???!!"

FTFY
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Might be the only thing they've bought that didn't turn to total shit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I for one sure hope this site doesn't sell out to them....

i was on one of their websites and got banned for life by their MOD after i called another user a name after he kept bashing me for the price i was offering somethng in the classified section.

their MOD also banned another friend of mine for the same thing....

i think that was stupid...but whatever...i mean kick me off for a month...6 months...or a year.  but lifetime ban?  that's fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Don't care
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Go figure. something something money money..

Kinda like snipershide got bought out by Scout, and it went to shit.

If I was a life member on arfcom and it got bought out, I'd be pissed...probably want a refund.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#35]
The akforum was already going downhill, but being bought out was the final nail in the coffin.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#36]
damn furnurs use different lectrons.  

i only like free lectrons.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good.

And what happens when they get worse?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
glock talk and snipershide got bought (not by the canadian co) but kept the same guys who started the boards around.

I can see for boards that are big enough to take a bunch of work, but too small to live off of, why the owners would be interested in selling or leasing the boards to a third party and let them handle the bullshit of maintaining the software and paying for the internet connection and servers
View Quote

I bailed on Glocktalk, the new format sucked.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Vertical Scope sucks
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sure it wasn't her.  Probably the delete happy admin Jeff Folloder who brought the gun community such wonderful ATF rule changes like 41f and 29p as the Executive Director, Secretary/Treasurer of the NFATCA.

Not surprising from a forum founded by a deputy chief that disgracefully resigned with the Columbia Police Department for having a extramarital affair with a subordinate.  He sold the forum in the midst of the divorce.  

Yeah, I'll avoid that place like the plague now.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
like the way the buy out of snipers hide fucked that site up - now its got aids
View Quote

90% of the reason I came to this site is the bullshit happening to the Hide
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Funded by Soros Bagged Milk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Funded by Soros Bagged Milk.

FIFY

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Vertical Scope is terrible.  Ten years ago they bought three motorcycle forums I was a member of and they quickly became ghost towns.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Buy them, then shut them down.

Paint the remaining one as domestic terrorists.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like an amazing business plan and a surefire way to make a huge return investment!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides ruining gun forums with advertising/spam, there are 2 other big possible disadvantages here:

1) they could limit/shut down discussion of targeted guns at will - like if president Obama or Clinton asked them to.  Imagine the entire NFA tech forum disappeared.  Or we couldn't sell/discuss high caps.  New Canadian owners could easily and forseeably do both.

2) data collection: sure, we are all paranoid about being on "lists." Specifically .gov lists.  To compile lists, they use algorithms.  Within the USA, a company could refuse a request to run an algorithm on Arfcom's users; in Canada they would gladly grant such a request.  Speaking of which, .gov could get in trouble for official hacking of an American citizen's forum.  But in Canada, they wouldn't even need a warrant.  Hack away in the name of national security.

I hope arfcom stays in safe hands.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

They definitely haven't done a great job there. Everyone on the site is very disenfranchised with the maple syrup drinking owners, lol.

Edit. Didn't see everyone had already responded with basically exactly my statement. But it bears repeating I suppose. Even though pirate already has a reputation for being a little aggressive, it got pretty hostile and still is in regards to vertical scope.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Some more digging turns up the fact that the majority owner of Vertical Scope is Torstar the same company that publishes the anti - gun newspaper, The Toronto Star.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2015/07/29/torstar-buys-stake-in-digital-media-company.html

Torstar Corp., which publishes the Toronto Star, has acquired a 56 per cent stake in digital media company VerticalScope Holdings Inc., for $200 million, the company announced Wednesday.

VerticalScope owns and operates more than 600 online forums and premium content sites across North America, including AutoGuide.com, PetGuide.com, Motorcycle.com and ATV.com.

The Toronto-based firm is the type of substantial, high-growth investment Torstar has been seeking since selling its stake in Harlequin book publishing in 2014, president and chief executive officer David Holland told analysts on a conference call after the announcement.

“As you know, we’ve been assessing opportunities to employ the capital that resulted from the Harlequin sale,” Holland said.

With more than 80 million unique visitors and more than 500 million page views a month, VerticalScope’s websites offer advertisers access to large audiences, Torstar said.
View Quote

Interesting, The Star are Fabian socialists. Look up the "Atkinson Principles".  This acquisition fits their business model pretty well.

Here in Ontario, Torstar bought up 100+ local community newspapers. They drove their rivals out of business by offering cheaper advertising rates. They then pushed the leftist agenda to all these smaller, conservative farming communities throughout the province.

They do it right here in my own local community. Their editorial line is big city, multicult globalist all the way in a small farming area. They stole all the local advertising and the paper is an inch and a half thick of flyers. Gets tossed on my driveway once a week.

They are going to push the same insidious crap through these 600 websites they now seem to control.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Interesting, The Star are Fabian socialists. Look up the "Atkinson Principles".  This acquisition fits their business model pretty well.

Here in Ontario, Torstar bought up 100+ local community newspapers. They drove their rivals out of business by offering cheaper advertising rates. They then pushed the leftist agenda to all these smaller, conservative farming communities throughout the province.

They do it right here in my own local community. Their editorial line is big city, multicult globalist all the way in a small farming area. They stole all the local advertising and the paper is an inch and a half thick of flyers. Gets tossed on my driveway once a week.

They are going to push the same insidious crap through these 600 websites they now seem to control.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your knowledgeable insight.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top