Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/11/2016 10:11:44 AM EDT
How would you feel about continuing to be a member and posting on a gun forum that was bought out  by a foreign internet media corporation?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't care
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Are they anti's?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the new ownership - just like if it was an American company.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How would you feel about continuing to be a member and posting on a gun forum that was bought out  by a foreign internet media corporation?
View Quote

Funded by Soros.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I welcome our new maple overlords.

P.S. I am one quarter Canadian don't ban me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought feels were for liberals?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Arfcom already belongs to the Nigerian royal family right?

I keep getting all these IMs....
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Target target will be site Staff?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't care
View Quote

even if they bought forums to close them you can just start new ones... who owns ar15rifles.com, etc
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

They bought out an exotic pet forum that I was a member of and the forum turned to shit after that. They shit the bed on moderators firing most of the ones on the board and bringing in outsiders that had no idea what was going on. They allowed shill accounts out the wazoo and then tripled the advertising rates for sponsors (most who were very supportive if the hobby) driving them off. Then they started charging to use the classifieds in addition to regular membership and free memberships couldn't see anything. That forum is mostly dead now and it isn't the first or last they have done that too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

even if they bought forums to close them you can just start new ones... who owns ar15rifles.com, etc
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't care

Lol. Economics much?

If Soros was pumping money into the industry thats a good thing for us.  Those site owners would laugh all the way to the bank then turn around and start another site.  Blow the rest on hookers.

Silly myth keeps floating around.  We welcome his investment.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Every knee shall bow to the Canadian Empire! / Toute personne doit executér prosterner devant l'Empire Canadien!
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Competition breeds improvement.

Good.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Free Garands?

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They bought out an exotic pet forum that I was a member of and the forum turned to shit after that. They shit the bed on moderators firing most of the ones on the board and bringing in outsiders that had no idea what was going on. They allowed shill accounts out the wazoo and then tripled the advertising rates for sponsors (most who were very supportive if the hobby) driving them off. Then they started charging to use the classifieds in addition to regular membership and free memberships couldn't see anything. That forum is mostly dead now and it isn't the first or last they have done that too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the sort of stuff I was wondering about, I believe they may be instituting those same practices on the firearms forum they just purchased.

I also wonder about data mining.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think China already owns America, so - whatever...

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#20]
As long as they don't try to convince me that Canadian Bacon is bacon I'm OK with it. Because, it's fucking ham.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

That'd pretty much be the end for me...
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#23]
So if we find unauthorized maple leaf images on the internet, will we get a free membership?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Lol. Economics much?

If Soros was pumping money into the industry thats a good thing for us.  Those site owners would laugh all the way to the bank then turn around and start another site.  Blow the rest on hookers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't care

Lol. Economics much?

if you ever graduate from high school, and get a job

read up on non compete clauses
edit - added where one would have to worry about non compete clauses

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll fucking cut a bitch if we have to doublepost everything in French.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Vertical Scope bought Trailvoy.com and turned it to shit.  All the good people left and started GMTNation.com.  

Fuck Vertical Scope.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#28]
If you mount a scope vertically you won't be able to hit anything.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Trying to purchase and monetize topical forums seems like a suckers game. The cost of entry for competitors is ridiculously low, and the members tend to be invested in the topic, not the forum, so there's a very low "cost" for moving to a different forum.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's the sort of stuff I was wondering about, I believe they may be instituting those same practices on the firearms forum they just purchased.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The old forum owner discussed it in brief with a few folks (but was limited by a NDA signed in the sale) but the whole business model is based on advertising. They pay a reasonable sum for a high traffic forum and take a chance that they can make their money back in advertising. Sometimes it works sometimes not. The advertisers they brought into our forum in some cases had nothing to do with the hobby. Really kind of strange.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Focused corporate management is going to make them worse with advertising, spamming and moderation, policies, etc., people will get tired of it, and start new 'underground' forums.  And yup, the 1911 forum has gotten pretty annoying.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Oh, they bought pirate4x4, I didn't know that  

https://theadminzone.com/threads/verticalscope.39544/

View Quote

yup, it's been going downhill ever since.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#35]
can we post tits now?  
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I wondered at that. Any goof can throw up a vbulletin forum and mine off the pissed off members  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trying to purchase and monetize topical forums seems like a suckers game. The cost of entry for competitors is ridiculously low, and the members tend to be invested in the topic, not the forum, so there's a very low "cost" for moving to a different forum.

I wondered at that. Any goof can throw up a vbulletin forum and mine off the pissed off members  

I don't know the forum "business" at all but I'd guess that it's more attractive to large investors who want to get into the business, to purchase sites that are already frequented by a large population of more or less "loyal" individuals who read and post regularly rather than build a brand new one from the ground up.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh, they bought pirate4x4, I didn't know that  

https://theadminzone.com/threads/verticalscope.39544/

That's a shame since Vertical Scope has just acquired SIGtalk, a previously worthwhile firearms forum.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
can we post tits now?  
View Quote

That's all I really wanted to know...
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Meh.   The value of this forum is in the Membership.  

What would the censorship be like?  More?  Less?   The Same?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
can we post tits now?  

To the contrary, they seem to be getting more restrictive which I noticed before finding out that the forum was sold.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glock 19 #1.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#45]
I remember the fear of the Japanese buying everything.  I remember how it worked out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I remember the fear of the Japanese buying everything.  I remember how it worked out.
View Quote

They bough real estate at insanely inflated prices and got burned, but the real estate remains.

Forums  aren't  as durable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#47]
like the way the buy out of snipers hide fucked that site up - now its got aids
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

glock talk and snipershide got bought (not by the canadian co) but kept the same guys who started the boards around.

I can see for boards that are big enough to take a bunch of work, but too small to live off of, why the owners would be interested in selling or leasing the boards to a third party and let them handle the bullshit of maintaining the software and paying for the internet connection and servers

View Quote
Yep,

and I haven't used either site since.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How many times has that happened to this site?

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They mine the banned members, not the pissed off members.   A slight, but important difference.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top