Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Good job, OP.  "Follow me."  Infantry way.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Run for the engine room.  Fast.  My last ship was an ammo ship.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Follow my Safety Officer.

Hopefully they leave and show me the way out
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I've sat at my desk and I've also gone outside.

Same company, different day, different alarms.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#5]
peace out!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fire alarm goes off at my work you GTFO right now. No grabbing your stuff you just go. Of course we have some more dangerous substances than your average office.

Yep, I work mostly at chemical plants and refineries.... I hear an alarm... It's FO time

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I am 7 seconds from the door... unless I see fire or smell smoke, I have stuff to do.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#8]
See, a FIRE ALARM is designed to alert you to the fact that the structure you're in might be on FIRE.

The FIRE ALARM has only one message, and it's an important one:  GET.  THE.  FUCK.  OUT.

Unless you're a world-renowned thoracic surgeon who's elbows-deep in some guy's liver, you VACATE THE PREMISES.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm a firefighter, so I would go see what the deal is.  

Used to be, and am a Supervisor.
I am the guy that stands in the hall and directs traffic, then sweeps the building.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I know it's a drill I usually stay put at my desk.

I'll tell you to GTFO or go on the after-action report.

Just go, now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guys accidentally busted a water line, which set off fire alarm. At least that's what we were told.

This is true.  A sudden drop in pressure makes the alarm system think a sprinkler head has been activated.

I'd make sure I had my phone and gtfo.

Fire sprinkler systems don't work that way.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't say I'm so dedicated as to sit at my desk during a fire alarm.

The last thing I want on my tombstone: "He's that guy who died in a fire WHILE THE FIRE ALARM WAS BLARING AT HIM THE WHOLE TIME"
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
See, a FIRE ALARM is designed to alert you to the fact that the structure you're in might be on FIRE.

The FIRE ALARM has only one message, and it's an important one:  GET.  THE.  FUCK.  OUT.

Unless you're a world-renowned thoracic surgeon who's elbows-deep in some guy's liver, you VACATE THE PREMISES.

Why would a thoracic surgeon be working on a guy's liver?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#14]
At work look for any indication of fire while making sure everyone is headed out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've been in a fire.  People seem to think that you can wait, assume its a false alarm and leave when you actually see heavy smoke or flames.

That is positively stupid.

I get up, check it out and usually leave unless I can verify that there is no fire.

How is it stupid when 99+% of the fire alarms are false?  In all my years of working, I've only seen one fire that was serious enough to require leaving the building.  In that one, the entire plant was damaged severely enough to require being torn down, but the fire alarm didn't go off.   They're becoming more like car alarms.  I've heard thousands of car alarms, but I have never heard one that went off due to an actual break-in.  Everyone these days ignores car alarms.z
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm the fire alarm guy at work, and security.

I stay put unless I know i need to be steppin'

I love it when i do evac drills and get to stay in if its cold, rainy whatever.  
and watch you guys suffer!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Policy is to clear the hallways of carts, close all doors.  Verify all fire doors closed automatically.  Shelter in place and send one employee with a fire extinguisher to the source of the alarm.

Reality is that we clear the hallway, close all doors, then the alarm company calls our reception who tells them everything is ok which cancells the fire department.  Then the employee with fire extinguisher finds there is heavy smoke, continued alarms, fire, etc.
Its happened the last two times I had an alarm go off at work.  Its a bigger building, so to call off the FD without verifying is borderline retarded.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#18]
keys, wallet, phone, GTFO
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#19]
we have monthly tests, announced beforehand.

we've only ever had a couple alarms causing evacuations, no actual fires. we have alot of pretty nasty stuff in our facility, and if we get an alarm its get out asap time.
something caused a sensor to trip, usually somebody spilled something too close to one and set it off
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Grab my stapler and head to a non-extradition country.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Alarm at work = gtfo. If you don't, I'll put you on final for a safety violation. Our plant has explosive dust, coupled with fire= big boom
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm on my companies Emergency Response Team so I go to the incident. I'm also an electrician,
so company policy sez I go to the incident-shut down power, etc. I'm also a Fire Fighter so I go
to the incident. Basically I just go to the incident.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#23]
The fire alarm went off at least 4 times a day freshman year in our traditional dorms. After 2 weeks of that shit you would hear the alarm, then a resounding "GODFUCKINGDAMMIT!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" then a LOT of door slamming shut.

Everyone would just shut their doors and continue with whatever, ARFCOM, Minecract, WOW, fapping, whatever. Fuck fire alarms.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Since you were in charge of your dept., you should have made sure the department followed the evac plan or at least left the building until you got an all clear.  The reason for doing so, besides safety should be obvious.

ETA: RIF

Good job.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm a welder. If there is a fire, most likely I started it. I would be doing the "oh the noes!" dance trying to put it out.

I'm a mechanic and every time I light up the acetylene torch people find things to do at the other end of the shop.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Since you were in charge of your dept., you should have made sure the department followed the evac plan or at least left the building until you got an all clear.  The reason for doing so, besides safety should be obvious.

ETA: RIF

Good job.

Yes, RIF!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would a thoracic surgeon be working on a guy's liver?

To put it back in the abdomen where it belongs, duh.

I'm a floor captain at work. When the alarm goes off I go yell at people to make them get off their asses and to the fire exits.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I am the fire alarm tech that is setting it off. I'm staying (testing).
I once had a fire while the fire alarm panel was being programmed. The panel had been hit by lightiening. The girl come across the apartment complex in her undies. The girl turned on the stove to heat some grease then jumped into the shower.  The fire marshal was not happy that he had to get a 911 call instead of a waterflow alarm.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Unfortunately for me, if it's an actual fire I have to put on the SCOTT airpack and respond to the location of the fire and help put it out or help evacuate inmates to a different area of the facility.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Mostly I have stayed at my desk, a few times I've left.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Well if the fire alarm goes off at my job I either put the fire out or burn and or explode

Screaming like a bitch and running away is not on option
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guys accidentally busted a water line, which set off fire alarm. At least that's what we were told.

This is true.  A sudden drop in pressure makes the alarm system think a sprinkler head has been activated.

Yeah, they do.  All the damn time.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#33]
because there is only two of us most the time..if there ever is a fire it will probably be because we some how accidentally started it

and if there is an alarm we should be able to see said fire
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm a firefighter, so I would go see what the deal is.  

This

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I work about 5ft from the nearest emergency exit but unless I see/smell smoke or see flames I just keep working,if there was a fire I would probably be aware of it by the time the alarm went off anyways

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#36]
We're supposed to get up, secure doors, blah blah blah.  They're always doing drills and I'm tired of doing all that crap.  These days, I usually just sit there and surf the internet some more.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I usually make sure my door is locked and shut and the lights turned off and continue working.  I work in a concrete building that is/was a fallout shelter.  Ain't shit gonna burn.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#38]
My "office" is the driver's seat of a company Lincoln Town Car. If there's a fire, you can bet your sweet ass I'm grabbing my bag, tucking and rolling on the way out...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I work at a coal fired power plant a fire could be pretty fucking bad.
I hear an alarm and going to gtfo.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#40]
When I was in the Marines, some guys broke onto the roof (drunk, of course) and had a BBQ one night.  No coal bucket or catcher of course, and caught the torchdown roof on fire.
The duty see's the glow and smoke on the roof from the parking lot, and yanks the alarm.
Drunk Marines put the fire out with beer eventually after realizing the shit was flaming up, before the fire department show's up.
I was told this all the next morning, because I slept like a baby through the whole thing (not even drunk), even though each room has it's own LOUD ass alarm and strobe light.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they do.  All the damn time.

I 2nd that, yes they do, that is how they are suppose to function.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Saw a dude burn to death. Freaken gastly only word that come's to mind.. I am GTFO and no fat butt office chair monkey man packing her buffel bag size purse,laptop,10 cell phones and all her family pictures better get in my way. No just kidding.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:59:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Let's not forget headcounts. We had a run years ago to a local factory that makes nuts and bolts. All stored in little " reloader" type bins, on 7' by 10' shelves. Somehow, one shelf got knocked and tipped on its side and Boom Boom Boom knocked the others shelves over, like dominoes. We get there and tell mgr to get a headcount then start pawing through the mess,hoping some unlucky SOB wasn't getting french-pressed under a foot and a half of 3/8X20. Turned out OK, everyone accounted for, no victims. I'll bet there was some overtime cleaning and sorting that mess. Been back for a few false calls, they still talk about it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Fire alarm at work? Works like this for me:

Round up my people (if safe to do so) and GTFO.

Accountability check at the rally point.

Report results to safety personnel.

Hope it is a drill.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#46]
My keys stay in my pocket

My phone is most likely in my shirt pocket

I might lock my toolbox

The machines I run will stop when they get to a tool change or the parts done

I can see the exit door from where I am

If it's cold out I'll have a coat on or can grab it off the back of the chair on my way past

I'm outta there..

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#47]
i work in a steel mill, we laugh at fire

video
http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/superdavarfcom/media/12-07bline.mp4.html

(ETA after we change our drawers)

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:25:43 AM EDT
[#48]
We have a muster at designated areas, only way to tell if someone is not inside/incapacitated. Everyone stays outside until they are accounted for; if you are inside in the warm FingO lots of people are going to be pissed at you.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Does not matter "if this is a test".  You GTFO and assemble. Failure to conform more than once results in job related consequences.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:30:00 AM EDT
[#50]
So outta there
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top