Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I grab my pipe and tobacco and head out to the park where we are supposed to meet.

Unless I think I probably caused the alarm by soldering or welding or something in which case I case the control room and let them know what is going on.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If you tried that where I worked, you would get fired.  The very idea that someone would be so selfish as to risk their own life to the point that some first responders would be risking their lives to get the someone to safety would immediately brand you as a social pariah or even worse, just stupid, neither of which valuable for further employment.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
When the alarm goes off I go to the fire.

Same here, and thank the folks that got out... Makes my job easier.

We once had a Hydrogen Cyainide alarm go off, we went in, With Level A suits and had positive hits on meters. As we were doing our recon in the building, we came across a few people working on there computers. After telling them to getout, they said no. it took unplugging there computers from the wall and threatening to hit them with a fire axe to get them to get out. I mean really people?!?!!? If someone comes into your cubicle wearing a XXLg Orange Ziplock bag, with meters hanging off him that are all lit up with flashy lights and sounding like a cat being strangled (Alarms going off), wouldn't you want to leave?

People are friggin idiots, but then.. It is job security.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Time to get out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Chums up, let's do this! Leeeeeeroooy Jeeeeeeeenkiiiinsssss!

Then I'd walk outside.

Not sure what is worse... The coke on my screen from laughing, or the fact that I know what you are referring too
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, I leave.  That said, I know folks who hide in the SCIF since the security folks can't get into it.

Last Major fire on base started there... The "Security" folks wouldn't let us in... we lost the building.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Policy is to clear the hallways of carts, close all doors.  Verify all fire doors closed automatically.  Shelter in place and send one employee with a fire extinguisher to the source of the alarm.

Reality is that we clear the hallway, close all doors, then the alarm company calls our reception who tells them everything is ok which cancells the fire department.  Then the employee with fire extinguisher finds there is heavy smoke, continued alarms, fire, etc.
Its happened the last two times I had an alarm go off at work.  Its a bigger building, so to call off the FD without verifying is borderline retarded.

It could also be criminal negligence...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Tell the rookie to go fix the cause of the alarm and reset the alarm; that damn thing is loud and would disturb my nap or ARFcom surfing.

A real sick feeling is when you are out on of the station and the dispatcher calls and says that there is a fire alarm at your station. The OH SHIT!!! factor is not good.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Policy is to clear the hallways of carts, close all doors.  Verify all fire doors closed automatically.  Shelter in place and send one employee with a fire extinguisher to the source of the alarm.

Reality is that we clear the hallway, close all doors, then the alarm company calls our reception who tells them everything is ok which cancells the fire department.  Then the employee with fire extinguisher finds there is heavy smoke, continued alarms, fire, etc.

Its happened the last two times I had an alarm go off at work.  Its a bigger building, so to call off the FD without verifying is borderline retarded.

At my dept, once we are dispatched, we have to continue on. The OIC can downgrade our response, but someone still has to go to the location and check things out.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm a firefighter, so I would go see what the deal is.  

This.  Unless I'm busy sleeping, or eating, or working out, or...

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm a firefighter, so I would go see what the deal is.  

This.  Unless I'm busy sleeping, or eating, or working out, or...

You sound like a cop trolling the firefighter or EMTs.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

At my dept, once we are dispatched, we have to continue on. The OIC can downgrade our response, but someone still has to go to the location and check things out.

99% of fire alarms I have called the FD on in the last 10 years or so have continued to the site even when we comfirm a false alarm at the location.  I'm sure the reduce the level of response, but someone shows up.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top