Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]
USPSA & multi-gun; there's about a dozen of us (most of them are Arfcommers) who travel and shoot together regularly, 2-4 matches a month.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
It changed my life.  Shot a bunch before wife/kids.  Maybe I'll get the kids into it someday.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#3]
NCAA Smallbore in college.  Won a major installation rifle and pistol championship when in Army.  Won a state police pistol championship years ago.  I've shot most of the civilian disciplines.  At one time I probably could have done it full-time.  I used to have 20/10 vision.  Not anymore.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Started shooting IDPA this year.

I wear my every day clothes and shoot my carry gear. G19 and MTAC. I do it for the stress and thought processes that are required while shooting. There are some guys there that just don’t get the idea that I’m there because I carry a gun every day and am there to have more time behind the gun. I’m constantly told to switch holsters and that I should get a G34 and all this. I agree I should if my goal was to score better. Our matches our fairly small, generally around 60 shooters. I think I’ve finished in the top 10 every match, behind the real competitors/semi-sponsored shooters. For being there shooting my carry gear and for the reasons I do I was quite happy with how I did this year.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Used to be serious about target archery (and bowhunting). Now I shoot guns more and the CMP rimfire sporter matches look about my speed. I did shoot IDPA a couple times and liked it a lot, but the local matches are on Tuesdays.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#6]
My Wife, kids and I shoot Falling Steel pistol matches and 3 Gun Matches. monthly!

Great Fun and good People!

Oh Ya,, if your interested in 3 Gun!

I wrote the first book, on the subject!

if your not shooting 3 Gun,, you are missing all of the fun!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot junior smallbore for around 12-13 years.  Haven't shot a match since....
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I started and ended the cycle three times, now I am itching to start a fourth cycle.

The first cycle started back in 1997, when I was using competition (IPSC, IDPA, tactical 3 gun...etc) to enhanced my training.  After about a year, when my training buddies drop off, plus the business travel I did for the company, the competition drop off.

Second cycle, Y2K, got back into training again at Gunsite, and again start the competition cycles.  Done that for about a year, and again, business essencial needs, I wind up travelling for the company again, and drop off both the training and competitions.

2002, became a part time LE, formed an LE group, and start to have weekly training and competitions: IPSC, USPSA, IDPA, LESA 3 guns, 3 guns...etc.  We had a group of almost 10 consists of mainly my agency and a few friends from DHS (CBP and ICE).  At the competition, we greq larger as LE from other agencies join our group (LAPD, LASD, OCSD, Air Marshal...etc.).  As time goes on, about 2+ years, shift and assignment changes, some moved to other locations, interest stated to go away, the group fall apart, plus I attempt to start my own business, I drop off from competition.

Now I have some extra time, I am itching to start another competition cycle, or maybe take a year absent without pay and go compete for a year.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Just did IDPA yesterday!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#10]
used to IDPA.  not in a few though
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Consistent IDPA, occasional 3-gun matches and recently our club has been doing a .22lr carbine and pistol match.  The 2 gun .22lr has been a hoot!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
USPSA
I got up to 9th Nationally in Class.

I've thought about getting real serious with it and even get the 22lr kits to train with but then that surgery...  Plus I don't get many weekends off and hate being away from my kids for too long as it is. The local USPSA sucks, never tried IDPA there and the only good 3 gun is in Phoenix and starts at the ass crack of dawn. So while I've toy'd with the idea the time, money, distance to travel didn't match the return, bragging rights aside.

9am is the ass crack of dawn?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It changed my life.  Shot a bunch before wife/kids.  Maybe I'll get the kids into it someday.

My oldest will be 4 in December, I got a long wait before I could get him involved. Shit, by then all our guns will be banded anyway
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I shoot High Power at least once per month.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I shoot USPSA 3-6 times a month. I'm not a super big gamer, but I like it enough to practice and have fun with it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
USPSA

I've thought about getting real serious with it and even get the 22lr kits to train with but then that surgery...  Plus I don't get many weekends off and hate being away from my kids for too long as it is. The local USPSA sucks, never tried IDPA there and the only good 3 gun is in Phoenix and starts at the ass crack of dawn. So while I've toy'd with the idea the time, money, distance to travel didn't match the return, bragging rights aside.

Everytime I've looked I swear it was 7? Either way that's a 2 hour drive one way for me.

Eta:
7am in the summer and 8am in the winter so yeah that's the ass crack of dawn to me. Now I'm talking about Rio, not PRG if that's where you were talking? But I've also been told Rio is the only one worth going to as well.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Most of my shooting energy is directed toward USPSA.   I will shoot the occasional IDPA match when I'm feeling masochistic, or the occasional 3-gun when I feel like burning up $100 of rifle and shotgun ammo and lugging a cart full of crap around the range all day.   I'll also do Steel Challenge here and there; it's usually a match that goes pretty quick and you can get finished up by noon.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#18]
USPSA, IDPA, 3Gun and Steel matches. I used to shoot every weekend in one match or another along with the annual sectionals, state, area and even nationals.

I'm lucky if I shoot once or twice a month now. Dealing with family and my own medical issues and treatments these days. I hope to change that sometime soon, I miss the competition almost as much the camaraderie and friends I've made.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
USPSA

Everytime I've looked I swear it was 7? Either way that's a 2 hour drive one way for me.

Summer months start is 7am, Oct-Mar start is 8am.

Registration "Closes" at 9AM and no squads means go where you want.

I prefer Rio/IMG style compared to the former Acts matches generally. Apples vs oranges, USPSA vs IDPA, potato vs tomato, etc..
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to shoot Steeel Challenge at St. Bernard indoor in Arabi Louisiana. I slowly got away from it when it got to be a money game. Who cold bring the latest, greatest, most expensive gun.I did it for a bout 10 years and was pretty good. We all got humbled when Jerry Miculek showed up on a Friday night. Even got my ass kicked a few times by Max Michel when he was only about 13 or 14.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
USPSA

I prefer Rio/IMG style compared to the former Acts matches generally. Apples vs oranges, USPSA vs IDPA, potato vs tomato, etc..

Do you start registering at 7 and start shooting at 9? I've always read that as start as 7, ie start shooting at 7?

ETA:

I do agree with you on the matches though. While I like the physical stuff at 2GAC (formerly ACTS) if you are there to compete your shooting almost isn't as important as your fitness. While that is fun for some and I admittedly do well at that with my (when I am not recovering from surgery) fitness typically being very high and my shooting being on par as well those that aren't fitness folks get hammered.

I prefer a straight apples to apples match as I don't care if I can out do someone physically as myself being fairly confident (read as cocky lol) with physical work, I want to see how I do shooting against my peers without the outside stress factors of sprinting 50 yards with an 80lb ammo crate... Sure some guy might be a better shot then me but can't run worth a shit and that automatically tips the stage in my favor... not very apple to apple any more.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I do a LOT of Cowboy Action Shooting.  Great competition and even greater people.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I shot Highpower for a while, but lost interest.

It made a better rifleman out of me though!

Now I just compete informally against my brother. Much more fun, especially with all the shit-talking that would otherwise be frowned upon at a real match.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you start registering at 7 and start shooting at 9? I've always read that as start as 7, ie start shooting at 7?

You can show up anywhere between 7 and 9 (summer months, but I wouldn't show up later than 830 in the summer since I thought it was 1.5 hours after staring registration it closes yet the website says 2... ) and start shooting as soon as you pay. Just get your score card and pick a stage to throw your card in.

If I show up right on time and pick the longest stages first I've been out of there by 10. Other times noon.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I shot league trap and by the end it was more of a chore then fun.  Still shoot a lot of sporting clays though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can show up anywhere between 7 and 9 (summer months, but I wouldn't show up later than 830 in the summer since I thought it was 1.5 hours after staring registration it closes yet the website says 2... ) and start shooting as soon as you pay. Just get your score card and pick a stage to throw your card in.

If I show up right on time and pick the longest stages first I've been out of there by 10. Other times noon.

That's odd, I guess I am just used to the strict squading and start times at PPC.

I'll have to look at getting up there some time. The hardest part for me with going up there is the 2 plus hour drive. Getting someone to watch my kids at 4-5 in the morning is not an easy task
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Shot on my club's gallery pistol league.  I did pretty well the first year, consistently in the 520 - 530 range, my high score was 542 on a 600 point course of fire.  Forty or fifty points off the winning pace, but there were folks who'd been shooting the league for years and still waiting for their first 500.  That summer I stuck my hand in a table saw, and like the OP, I just never could get back in the groove. I shot two more years - never did as well as the first one and finally just quit - just wasn't interested anymore.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Used to shoot in local matches in the 90's when ammo and magazines were cheap and you could afford to burn 300 rounds on a trip to the range...

but these days I'd be happy to find a local ROTC armory that was open to the public for some pellet rifle fun- maybe bullseye and metallic silhouettes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Shot on my club's gallery pistol league.  I did pretty well the first year, consistently in the 520 - 530 range, my high score was 542 on a 600 point course of fire.  Forty or fifty points off the winning pace, but there were folks who'd been shooting the league for years and still waiting for their first 500.  That summer I stuck my hand in a table saw, and like the OP, I just never could get back in the groove. I shot two more years - never did as well as the first one and finally just quit - just wasn't interested anymore.

FUCK!

I am so unmotivated that I can't even be bothered to drive out the 15 minutes to practice lol sad, I know
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Bullseye Pistol, Highpower. Winter 22 pistol League-postal match ( spokesman review ) and indoor standard/international/air pistol .

Local range does the NRA action pistol thing shot, it a few times but it is pretty lame but as plus doesn't take too much time or ammo.
I've shot ipsc and a three gun match or two but they just take all fricken day of standing around waiting to shoot plus all the gear queer faggotry was really annoying.

For a beginner or someone looking for competition that doesn't burn alot of time I would recommend a winter 22 indoor league, most are run on a weekday evening and ours run about 3 hours at most
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I used to shoot high power with the yearly trip to Perry.

Got divorced and became a single parent and I just could not get away for a full day of shooting along with the practice it takes. Eyes also went downhill and then the cost of it became a factor.

I got sticker shock a few years ago when I saw bullet and powder prices were double what they were when I was shooting back in the early 2000's.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Yep. Great way to keep your skills sharp.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Getting married and having a family. There's no money or time...

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Still do, USPSA every weekend.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Highpower for about 15 years.  I'm not very good but damn, I love it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I shot highpower a few times before I joined the Army.  Now I have no idea where the closest match would be, have a full schedule at work, and a 9 month old son.  Life gets busy like that.  At least I get to run all the company ranges, plan FTXs, and shoot every time I go home to PA on a personal range I built.

My son will be getting his first single shot .22 on his birthday, so hopefully a few years down the road we can enjoy it together.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
USPSA

Sandbagger!  Unless you're a GM!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Started shooting IDPA 4 years ago, have since moved to the land of no IDPA

Try to make two USPSA matches a month, but other shenanigans (especially of the football variety) have made that difficult lately

USPSA wheelgun is some of the most fun I've had shooting
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK!

I am so unmotivated that I can't even be bothered to drive out the 15 minutes to practice lol sad, I know

Exactly.  I ultimately quit, not because I wasn't doing as well, but because I wouldn't go practice.  I'm still pretty disgusted with myself over that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Professional training made me stop idpa.  Too many training scars.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been shooting High Power for about 4 years now, and absolutely love it. My only regret is that I didn't discover it when I was in my twenties and my eyes were better. I've been wanting to give IDPA a whirl too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Professional training made me stop idpa.  Too many training scars.

I will agree with that.

I was doing some training with a buddy of mine who holds a CSAT instructor cert and he helped point out some of mine. I knew I was doing it before he mentioned it to me but I had the hardest time breaking myself of it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I started shooting junior smallbore at age 10. Then I started shooting the rifle-shotgun match at Rio Salado at age 13. Then I started shooting practical pistol at age 15. Then I started shooting NRA High power at age 18.

All I ever shoot is competitions. The only time I am firing a firearm and not at a competition is when I am zeroing them for new ammo or accuracy testing.

ETA: Competitions are great for holding yourself accountable and truly getting better at shooting instead of just blasting ammo. I shoot smallbore/high power to improve my accuracy, practical pistol to internalize the details of self defense shooting (I am at the point where I can draw my pistol and bring it up to target the exact same way every time. I am very accurate, but relatively slow compared to the top dogs, so speed is my next hurdle). I shoot 3-gun to practice shotgun self defense and rifle self defense. My big issues there are that while very accurate, I'm still a bit slow on short range rifle, and I REALLY suck at reloading shotguns in a timely manner.

Even if you've beaten Kelly Neal or placed in the presidents 100, there is ALWAYS room to improve. It is just like sports.

My next big goal is to get into 1000 yard matches once I graduate college and have a real job. An intermediate step will be getting into 600 yard matches with a decent set up. I also intend to build a dedicated 3-gun AR one day with a combination of zeroed optics I can use for shooting in different classes and buy a mossberg 930SPX.

I've beat Kelly on some individual stages but never the overall. That match I came in 2nd he didn't shoot
When I was 15, JeredMD and his dad came out and used their SKS and my dad's mossberg 590. JeredMD beat Kelly Neal on a shotgun match his very first time ever shooting shotgun in a 3-gun setting.

I tend to do very well on long range rifle. Which surprises the heck out a lot of people because I tend to be one of the last hold outs still using iron sighted rack grade ARs.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Do it. Dad and I put more rounds down range than many military units and police departments per year. Tons and tons of fun!

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

USPSA

You think that's bad, NRA high power ranges have rounds starting down range (you need to be at least 30 minutes early to help set up) at 7:00 AM in the summer time. Yeah, I've more than a few because I got up at 4:30 and decided "eh, fuck it" and went to bed.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I started shooting junior smallbore at age 10. Then I started shooting the rifle-shotgun match at Rio Salado at age 13. Then I started shooting practical pistol at age 15. Then I started shooting NRA High power at age 18.

All I ever shoot is competitions. The only time I am firing a firearm and not at a competition is when I am zeroing them for new ammo or accuracy testing.

ETA: Competitions are great for holding yourself accountable and truly getting better at shooting instead of just blasting ammo. I shoot smallbore/high power to improve my accuracy, practical pistol to internalize the details of self defense shooting (I am at the point where I can draw my pistol and bring it up to target the exact same way every time. I am very accurate, but relatively slow compared to the top dogs, so speed is my next hurdle). I shoot 3-gun to practice shotgun self defense and rifle self defense. My big issues there are that while very accurate, I'm still a bit slow on short range rifle, and I REALLY suck at reloading shotguns in a timely manner.

Even if you've beaten Kelly Neal or placed in the presidents 100, there is ALWAYS room to improve. It is just like sports.

My next big goal is to get into 1000 yard matches once I graduate college and have a real job. An intermediate step will be getting into 600 yard matches with a decent set up. I also intend to build a dedicated 3-gun AR one day with a combination of zeroed optics I can use for shooting in different classes and buy a mossberg 930SPX.

I've beat Kelly on some individual stages but never the overall. That match I came in 2nd he didn't shoot
When I was 15, JeredMD and his dad came out and used their SKS and my dad's mossberg 590. JeredMD beat Kelly Neal on a shotgun match his very first time ever shooting shotgun in a 3-gun setting.

I tend to do very well on long range rifle. Which surprises the heck out a lot of people because I tend to be one of the last hold outs still using iron sighted rack grade ARs.

That's great, one of those moments that keeps everything in perspective lol
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I used to shoot IPSC, speed steel matches and local tactical rifle courses several times per month...

...then I had three kids.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Humm..........when I was younger I did:

PPC
Hi-Power Rifle
IPSC

Currently, my flavor is:

SASS

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I shot CAS/SASS for 20 years (life member) then ...I'm not sure....burned out a bit.
Turned off by one local club prez.....and the matches take all day.
I just don't have that kind of time anymore.
Actually, once I started shooting IDPA, I started shooting cowboy a bit tactically, like slicing the pie and shooting from cover.

My schedule the past year has been hell, but I'm looking to get started back again with 3-gun and Rio Salado and South Mtn here in AZ.
Plus I always TRY to make time for the subgun matches.

I may be slow, but I'm highly inaccurate .
I do take pride in finishing last - but I am not there to win, I am there for trigger time with like minded individuals.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top