Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/19/2012 10:06:54 AM EDT
I've been shooting an 2 gun Action Match for a few years now, done fairly well for myself. I've won my division (Iron Sights) a handful of times and would routinely place top 5-10 overall with a Iron Sight gun. Hell even had a pseudo-win overall once but the freaking steel popper had been dug deep into the dirt (forward) so it took 6 hits to knock it down but that was more then the 6 seconds I came in 2nd by

But a few months ago I get injured at work and required surgery and ever since I've just not been into it and really have no desire to make the 1 hour drive (2 hours round trip) to shoot for 3 minutes. Add the $15 dollar range fee, money for ammo and the 7-8 hour day between driving and standing around and the fact that the match is pretty physical and I'm not comfortable doing crazy shit yet and would eat a shit load in penalty time... I love hanging with the guys and but eh...

What broke you out of competition or what keeps you going back?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I used to shoot highpower, but then the kids got old enough to have soccer and stuff on the weekends and I just didn't have time anymore.

That's right around the corner for me as well. Oldest son will be 4 in a few months. I played soccer for 3 years as a kid, followed with karate, baseball for 3 years and 2 years of football mixed in there. Can't wait for my boy to get into some of that stuff, got my glove and bat just waiting
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I always find out about the matches about an hour after they ended
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I shoot a little indoor 2-gun match here pretty much weekly. It's the cheapest way I know to shoot, since the match is only 15 bucks and the round count isn't high enough to hurt the wallet.

Plus, it's fun to shoot and move with a rifle so often.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I always find out about the matches about an hour after they ended

Do you have clubs with set schedules? Lots of places are pretty ridged on the calendar.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I shoot sporting clays pretty much as much as I can. Time away from my young kids usually is the reason that keeps me from going.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#7]
IDPA off and on.  Hi Power off and on.  More off than on.  Trap league in the summer, but that's not really a competition.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I shoot a little indoor 2-gun match here pretty much weekly. It's the cheapest way I know to shoot, since the match is only 15 bucks and the round count isn't high enough to hurt the wallet.

Not trying to thread jack the OP but were do you do this 2-gun match? I've been thinking about trying something like that out eventually after I get a little more practice in and I am in washington as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've been shooting an 2 gun Action Match for a few years now, done fairly well for myself. I've won my division (Iron Sights) a handful of times and would routinely place top 5-10 overall with a Iron Sight gun. Hell even had a pseudo-win overall once but the freaking steel popper had been dug deep into the dirt (forward) so it took 6 hits to knock it down but that was more then the 6 seconds I came in 2nd by

But a few months ago I get injured at work and required surgery and ever since I've just not been into it and really have no desire to make the 1 hour drive (2 hours round trip) to shoot for 3 minutes. Add the $15 dollar range fee, money for ammo and the 7-8 hour day between driving and standing around and the fact that the match is pretty physical and I'm not comfortable doing crazy shit yet and would eat a shit load in penalty time... I love hanging with the guys and but eh...

What broke you out of competition or what keeps you going back?

IDPA and USPSA. I try to shoot 2 matches/month. Schedule kind of sucks and I haven't been able to shoot as much USPSA as I've wanted to the past year.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#10]
USPSA
I got up to 9th Nationally in Class.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Monday Night Pistol (bullseye league)

Cheap .22 fun and it keeps your pistol fundamentals up.

I need to shoot our club's IDPA match, but I keep having stuff come up on that weekend.

Probably get into high-power next spring when it dries out around here.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I am just getting into USPSA
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying to thread jack the OP but were do you do this 2-gun match? I've been thinking about trying something like that out eventually after I get a little more practice in and I am in washington as well.

As long as you're safe most matches and RO's don't care how slow you go, just do it safely. I'd encourage you to head out and do it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What keeps you going back?

All the guys that are better/faster than me.

It's really humbling knowing that an IDPA Master enhanced revovler shooter can keep up or even beat ar15 rifle guys like its nothing.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#15]
NRA action pistol, bullseye, rimfire bullseye, high power, LR high power, a little bit of IPSC and now-a-days, IDPA
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I would like to say I still do but I have not been in months.  

USPSA and outlaw 3-gun
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Used to shoot SASS, haven't in years though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's at west coast armory on friday nights.

There is a monster thread on it HERE.

Edit: obligitory video.

Yes that's my expanding ass and thinning hairline.    

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
USPSA
I got up to 9th Nationally in Class.

I've thought about getting real serious with it and even get the 22lr kits to train with but then that surgery...  Plus I don't get many weekends off and hate being away from my kids for too long as it is. The local USPSA sucks, never tried IDPA there and the only good 3 gun is in Phoenix and starts at the ass crack of dawn. So while I've toy'd with the idea the time, money, distance to travel didn't match the return, bragging rights aside.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Sporting Clays for me.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUIXiQRbvGA&feature=share&list=UUz2uvRObzsSjQlkHFkyVikw

Holy shit, whose full auto G3 was that????
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I shot metallic silhouette with my parents for awhile when I was 15-16..now that I'm old enough to drive myself and have the guns/gear, everything I want to do is to far away. I might try to do some IDPA while gas is down close to $3.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Used to shoot uspsa and CFDCC now shoot IDPA multigun
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I used to shoot GSSF matches.  Now I have neither the time nor money.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUIXiQRbvGA&feature=share&list=UUz2uvRObzsSjQlkHFkyVikw

Holy shit, whose full auto G3 was that????

Haha....

That's my bump-gun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I used to shoot highpower, but then the kids got old enough to have soccer and stuff on the weekends and I just didn't have time anymore.

Same here.  NRA High Power, Service Rifle, Smallbore silhouette, etc.  Started to dabble in benchrest and got two seasons of competition under my belt...which means I was just starting to figure out what I was doing...and then my twins came along.   Still have most of the equipment, but it gathers dust until my schedule opens up.  At this rate, I should be able to get back out there in about a decade!  :)

In the mean time, I'm able to coach the local high school trap/skeet team and I usually have time for a few rounds of trap in the mornings before the kids get up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Shot PPC for several years.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#28]
IDPA for about 8 years now.

When I shoot rifles with my friends, we shoot a competition (all kinds of milsurp rifles).

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I got started shooting IPSC before getting a LE job.  Moved, 6 months if training.  Never got back to it.  I did enjoy it but did not like the gaming part of it that was decidedly non tactical, scoped pistols, compensators, big extend mags at the time.   yeah those guys were good but it was like a lot of shooting sports, buying points with gear.   I like PRACTICAL shooting, not so much space guns.  

That said, the other shooting competitively I liked was high power service rifle.  yeah most arfcommers find it to be slow, time consuming and boring as there's no movement, just slow methodical marksmanship.  I admit that can be gamed with equipment quite a bit too.   I still do a summer military rifle league which is much less formal than normal high power, a bit too formal but it gets the old guys out shooting milsurp rifles and that's ok.  The drive is an hour and kills me.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#30]
I started shooting USPSA and NRA Action Pistol in 1992. I fired 100,000 rounds in my first 3 years. I shot a match every weekend, sometimes two and practiced every Tuesday night and sometimes another evening also. I was single/dating, early 20s, and still living with my parents, rent free...

Fast forward to 2012, I shoot 5 or less matches a year, mostly just to knock the rust off. I never practice, I don't have the time or money. I'm 42, have a wife that works full time and two VERY active kids. My weekends are mostly kids sporting events. My week nights are spent helping with homework (they're both straight A students [5th and 7th grades]), helping coach football-baseball-etc, cooking and doing some of the laundry.

I'm happy with what I did with my shooting, I've made Master in 3 Divisions in USPSA and Master in NRA Action. I was a PA State USPSA Champion in '94.

I can still shoot Master class scores, so when I do go shooting, it doesn't suck...

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Shoot ATA trap when I have the time and feel like it. My average puts me in the highest class (AAA) in singles and doubles and I shoot handicap from the 27 yard line. I have won a lot of local events and a few trophies at the Grand and satellite grands as well as state shoots.
Everyone says I need to take it more seriously but truthfully I do it just to have fun shooting with family/friends and keep practiced up for hunting seasons.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I shoot 3-4 3 guns a year, maybe a few IDPA, just depends on my schedule.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#33]
I started shooting junior smallbore at age 10. Then I started shooting the rifle-shotgun match at Rio Salado at age 13. Then I started shooting practical pistol at age 15. Then I started shooting NRA High power at age 18.

All I ever shoot is competitions. The only time I am firing a firearm and not at a competition is when I am zeroing them for new ammo or accuracy testing.

ETA: Competitions are great for holding yourself accountable and truly getting better at shooting instead of just blasting ammo. I shoot smallbore/high power to improve my accuracy, practical pistol to internalize the details of self defense shooting (I am at the point where I can draw my pistol and bring it up to target the exact same way every time. I am very accurate, but relatively slow compared to the top dogs, so speed is my next hurdle). I shoot 3-gun to practice shotgun self defense and rifle self defense. My big issues there are that while very accurate, I'm still a bit slow on short range rifle, and I REALLY suck at reloading shotguns in a timely manner.

Even if you've beaten Kelly Neal or placed in the presidents 100, there is ALWAYS room to improve. It is just like sports.

My next big goal is to get into 1000 yard matches once I graduate college and have a real job. An intermediate step will be getting into 600 yard matches with a decent set up. I also intend to build a dedicated 3-gun AR one day with a combination of zeroed optics I can use for shooting in different classes and buy a mossberg 930SPX.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

work that thang shakira

lol
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#35]
My step kids shoot 4H, we competed at state the last 4 years or so.  Not sure what is going to happen this year - Rifle/Pistol was evicted from the venue.  Rumor were they were going to upgrade the venue - but rumors also say unicorns exist.  No peep on alternate venues yet.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

work that thang shakira

lol

My hips don't lie...

Which video are you guys seeing? It seems to link to a different one than I posted no matter how many times I edit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#37]
I shoot JCG highpower. Every month from April-december. Plus a trip to Perry and a couple other local matches
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

work that thang shakira

lol

My hips don't lie...

Which video are you guys seeing? It seems to link to a different one than I posted no matter how many times I edit.

I saw two different one's.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I used to for a few years.

Like most things with me, it got old after a while.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#40]
GSSF - Range Officer, so I don't miss any matches.  IDPA & Steel Challenge - Safety Officer - I make them most of the year, until football season when my children play.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

work that thang shakira

lol

My hips don't lie...

I saw two different one's.

Oh well, YT looks to be having issues. I am chubby in them all, but one had a better mag change.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#42]
I shot 3 guns and USPSA but kids seem to take all my time anymore  

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#43]
I usually shoot a match every month; mostly IDPA, with an occasional USPSA or 3-Gun match.

I also have other hobbies (including a wife), so I don't make it out to the range every weekend, although in my area, I could.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I started shooting junior smallbore at age 10. Then I started shooting the rifle-shotgun match at Rio Salado at age 13. Then I started shooting practical pistol at age 15. Then I started shooting NRA High power at age 18.

All I ever shoot is competitions. The only time I am firing a firearm and not at a competition is when I am zeroing them for new ammo or accuracy testing.

ETA: Competitions are great for holding yourself accountable and truly getting better at shooting instead of just blasting ammo. I shoot smallbore/high power to improve my accuracy, practical pistol to internalize the details of self defense shooting (I am at the point where I can draw my pistol and bring it up to target the exact same way every time. I am very accurate, but relatively slow compared to the top dogs, so speed is my next hurdle). I shoot 3-gun to practice shotgun self defense and rifle self defense. My big issues there are that while very accurate, I'm still a bit slow on short range rifle, and I REALLY suck at reloading shotguns in a timely manner.

Even if you've beaten Kelly Neal or placed in the presidents 100, there is ALWAYS room to improve. It is just like sports.

My next big goal is to get into 1000 yard matches once I graduate college and have a real job. An intermediate step will be getting into 600 yard matches with a decent set up. I also intend to build a dedicated 3-gun AR one day with a combination of zeroed optics I can use for shooting in different classes and buy a mossberg 930SPX.

I've beat Kelly on some individual stages but never the overall. That match I came in 2nd he didn't shoot
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Almost exactly what I was going to write, except my kids don't like soccer....

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Shot in my clubs IDPA-style matches over this past summer. Used a stock Glock 19 and Beretta 92fs. Usually finished in the middle third of the pack. Wish I had more time for it now, it was loads of fun every Saturday morning.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#47]
I use to shoot IPSC and 3-Gun many moons ago.  I hope to get back into it some, although I will not be into it as heavy as I once was. I did sell my open gun a while back, but decided to keep the limited gun which I sent back to Briley and they are sending me a new one.  Just waiting on them to finish it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#48]
I shot in a Trap league as a kid

I used to shoot Steel plates and IDPA type match's at my local club but got tired of the BS

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome thanks. I work friday nights but I will have to find some time to check that out. It looks fun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Did a .22 handgun league for years , but after kids not much time for that anymore.

Heck, I work so much these days I barley get range time in. There is a shoot house here locally that went up and they were trying to get me to join their competitions each Tuesday night. I may try it after the holidays.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top