BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife is my partner in life. Of course she has it.
If you can't trust your wife with the combination you don't have any business being married in the first place.

+1

+2  
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you can't trust your wife with the combination you don't have any business being married in the first place.

+1

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#3]
GF was there when I put the safe in, and she got the book and read the combo to me.

Don't know if she remembers it, but I key-lock the dial anyway...
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

but I key-lock the dial anyway...

Genius, pure genius. Win-Win.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Wife has never even looked into 95% of what she has access to, but it's there if she needs it. She never remembers the gun safe combo, but she knows where to look it up. Regular safe has documents, so she does get in there frequently.

The one thing she watches like a hawk is our primary checking account, ever since we caught some dirtbag trying to cash old checks that accidentally got thrown out. I'm glad that she does, because I don't pay that much attention to it.

I have known women who were suddenly widowed with no idea what their finances are, or how to find out. That's a hell of a burden piled on top of of their sudden loss.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#6]
She's been told the combo, multiple times, but she never remembers.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Of course.

But, we have been married 32 years and love one another.

I can see why some guys don't want to, since the average marriage now lasts what?  Three years or so?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#8]
GF doesn't have combo to the safe.   I am building her an Recon rifle, so it is in the safe..    I use the safe to store my very expensive cameras.   I might have to buy her a safe, but right now she has no weapons, so she has no reason to get my combo.   She just moved from NY to me..  

She wants to get her CCW soon. ..

I liked the idea of storing items that she wouldn't know in the safe.  I have to remember that...

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife's firearms are in there.

She has access to the spare keys to the truck too. ZOMG!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I have known women who were suddenly widowed with no idea what their finances are, or how to find out. That's a hell of a burden piled on top of of their sudden loss.

Locksmiths can open a gunsafe.

No one throws away a safe full of guns because someone dies.

And my wife does not store her financial info in my safes.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes...but I really, really wanted to vote titty sprinkles...

i went ahead and just voted titty sprinkles but yes, she knows, and i tought her how to use my IFAK and how to deploy a tear gas round and properly put on a gas mask and how to check the seal.

I'm not marrying a little sweetheart.....im marrying a bad ass!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#12]
No, because I expect my son to be killed and her raped if she needs to protect herself when I am away.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Of course she does - along with my parents and my two best friends.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

No, because I expect my son to be killed and her raped if she needs to protect herself when I am away.

The bedside/closet guns are never in the safe.

The safe stays locked and is in another room.  If I need a gun, I need it NOW, so there is a 1911 in the nightstand and a 930SPX in the closet, maybe an AR out and about...

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Who keeps a home protection weapon locked in a safe?

"Err...excuse me Mr. rapist-murderer bad guy, I have to go get something from my safe. I'll be right back."
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#16]
If I couldn't trust her with the combo then we would already be in the process of divorce or never married in the first place.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.
Plus, we keep stuff besides guns in the safe. The family silver, jewelry, important papers, etc.
That said, I've given the combo to my wife many times and whenever she wants into the safe she has to ask me for it again.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#18]
She knows where to find the combination and ive instructed her on how to gain access. She has little interest and even for getting non gun related stuff she just has me do it. She could honestly not care any less. That being said, we dont do the "mine and yours" BS, she just isnt interested any more than I am in looking in her purse or make-up case.

Had I had a safe back in my "having a girlfriend" days? Fuuuuuck no. Some people give their live-in bf/gf entirley too much rope to hang them with.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#19]

I gave my wife the combo. Keeping valuables in it is a lot more important than the unlikely event that she would raid it before divorcing me.

However, should she do something that evil, she would have to be very careful on what she took; unauthorized possession of my NFA items would probably end up being a bad thing for her in the long run.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#20]
No. She has never asked so I never told
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Been married a long time and NO.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

we dont do the "mine and yours" BS,

Very, very few couples actually do the "mine and yours" BS.

What's hers is hers and what's yours is hers.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

"Err...excuse me Mr. rapist-murderer bad guy, I have to go get something from my safe. I'll be right back."

Anyone with a 2-8 yr old boy
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you can't trust your wife with the combo to your safe, you need a divorce.

Period.

Pure unadulterated women's lib Marxist horse-shit.

So you can demand all your wife's account info, money, etc?  Just tell her that if she don't give it to you then you oughta get divorced?    you do that.

Marxist crap.  History has shown that there needs to be a cutoff between women and men for a marriage to work.

The fuck?

The wife and I have been married for 19 years and all of our accounts are joint. I can see our finances, she can see our finances, I buy what I want, she buys what she wants. We respect each other enough that we don't just go and blow our life savings on stuff we haven't talked about. Anytime either of us wants to make a purchase greater than $100 we check with the other to see if it's going to be a problem. It's about respect, not control. In 19 years I've never been told, "No you can't buy that." I have been asked, "Can you wait until payday so we don't have a cash flow issue."

If you've got trust issues then you should get a divorce.

I'm hoping my sarcasm meter is broken.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone with a 2-8 yr old boy

I don't have kids, but the shotgun is on hooks over the inside of the closet door in my bedroom...

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Sure.  

And if she didn't, she could just threaten me with one of the firearms not in the safe.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Yep!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Her valuables in MY safe far outweight the gun values. I have one shotgun, 2 rifles, two handguns, one revolver and some ammo.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Period.

So you can demand all your wife's account info, money, etc?  Just tell her that if she don't give it to you then you oughta get divorced?    you do that.

Marxist crap.  History has shown that there needs to be a cutoff between women and men for a marriage to work.

Everything about our relationship is out in the open.  The way it should be.

When we got married, everything we own is OURS, not hers and mine, it's all ours.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#30]
<sigh>

couldn't help it, had to vote 'Titty Sprinkles'. (Sorry- I'm a weak man...)

And if the wife wants in the safes, they're open when we're home so no biggee...

We've been married over thirteen years, if she doesn't know how to get in them by now she hasn't been paying attention.

-Jeff
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes, she has the combination.  But can't remember it.  And couldn't open it even if I told her.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Not yet, but the GF wants it real bad. Once we get married in a couple months I'll probably give it to her
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#34]
yes, she got her ccw out of it this morning.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Only to my pistol safe on my nightstand next to the bed.  No on the big one.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#36]
That doesn't mean she's capable of opening it.   Less than 50-50 when she does it.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#37]
She has it.  It's also our work safe so she needs it to access the cash.  I'll be sure to take the guns out before I break up with her.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Nope.
NFA firearms in there. The ATF says she cant have it..
She is on my safe deposit box though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#39]
When I get my safe...

Not only will my wife know the combo, but I'll make her memorize it and show me she knows how to open the safe.  Also, she'll know what's inside.

Why do some of you even get married?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes.  they also may need to defend themselves
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I voted yes, because 1/3 1/2 of the guns in there are hers.  

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Not married, but if I was, sure.    

Doesn't mean she'll get the key to the room it is in
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Period.

The fuck?

The wife and I have been married for 19 years and all of our accounts are joint. I can see our finances, she can see our finances, I buy what I want, she buys what she wants. We respect each other enough that we don't just go and blow our life savings on stuff we haven't talked about. Anytime either of us wants to make a purchase greater than $100 we check with the other to see if it's going to be a problem. It's about respect, not control. In 19 years I've never been told, "No you can't buy that." I have been asked, "Can you wait until payday so we don't have a cash flow issue."

If you've got trust issues then you should get a divorce.

I'm hoping my sarcasm meter is broken.

Im gonna say its not. Alot of jaded people who should have never gotten married. I cant possibly fathom not trusting my wife. And before someone goes off thinking my life has been all sunshine and lollipops, ive had my fair share of bouts with cheating SO's. Guess what, she aint them!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nope.

There is no law which requires NFA guns to be in a safe.........

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

There is no law which requires NFA guns to be in a safe.........

But there is a law stating that nobody should have access to them except in the presence of the owner/trustee...

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I would hate the idea of some scumbag getting the drop on my wife, put a knife to her throat and say, "Give me the safe combination or I will slit your throat." My wife has been given the combo and a mnemonic to remember it. Most of the time she has to ask me for the mnemonic if she wants in because she doesn't bother to remember it. In the end, it's just stuff. You can replace stuff a lot easier than you can replace people who love you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't have a safe. However, if I did, my fiance would have the combination.

Either you trust someone, or you don't. And, if you don't, why the fuck did you marry them?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#48]
i gave it to her, and regretted it. we got into a fight over money, and she opened the safe, and was throwing ar-15's and shotguns across the living room, into a big pile, ( it was like she was working for the atf).... complaining about how much $$ i had spent on them, how i didnt need them, how i cared more about them than her.  it was very traumatic for me....... but she just did it that once though, luckily the driveway was too far away for her to throw that far.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Sure she does, we have been married for almost 11 years.  If I didn't trust her with the combo, then I'd have to seriously consider why I am married to her in the first place.

That being said, I doubt she would ever get into it without telling me.

Best thing is, my slow steady campiagn of making sure she knows the basic operations of basic self defense weapons (9 mm pistol, AR15) seems to be paying off.  I just came home from a USPSA beginner course at my local club, told her how much fun it was and, even if she doesn't want to get into the competitive part of it, the basic safe gun handling skills it developes as well as general trigger time would be really good for her (she did not grow up around guns).  She agrees and we are going to go shoot some targets this weekend (and bring along the AR at her request).  She talked to a female friend of hers who also might be interested in attending the USPSA beginners class and/or match with her too.

My biggest fear about traveling for work/not being here to defend my family is not the lack of tools (plenty of those, but never enough!),but the safe, basic, confident usage of said tools by people other than myself.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Sure she does, we have been married for almost 11 years.  If I didn't trust her with the combo, then I'd have to seriously consider why I am married to her in the first place.
Thank you.

Honestly, anyone can fuck you over. I know a girl, a nice girl... her mom got a credit card in her name and ran up a ton of bills. She was chased around the world by collection agencies until mom got her shit together, stepped up and made things right.

Loving someone, and being in a relationship with them, means taking a risk. It means trusting them.

And that can be good... or it can be bad.

But, if you don't do it, then you'll never have anything worth writing home about.

Wanna hit a home run, you have to risk striking out.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top