Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#1]

The National Guard finally arrived, way too late to make any difference.
Curfew was maintained for weeks, martial law and tanks on street
corners. The real purpose of the military presence was to force whites
and blacks to go back to pretending to like each other, that
multiculturalism actually worked and that there was not a race war of
apocalyptic proportions brewing everywhere and anywhere in the near
future. It was all about maintaining appearances.

Bull fucking shit...

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Desert Eagle? Glock? Stolen Laptops & cell phones? 203 rifle?

I call crap on those things, other than that I imagine the story is accurate.

I'm glad i don't live in a large city ;)
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I remember the Detroit Riots of 1967.

Difference between the L.A. Riots of 1992 and the Detroit Riots of 1967 = the L.A. Riots did not require the 82nd Airborne Division to get involved.

(Detroit did).

There would have been a shitstorm for the participants  had they not ended when they did.  National Guard Units were deployed by noon on the second day and Marine units were rolling into El Toro and grouping up on the 3rd.    I had my gear at my feet  Friday night and was waiting for a bus to come pick up our Company on Pendleton.   We stayed on stand-by but never deployed.  Some number of Marine units did deploy and manned roadblocks.  Guard troops shot & killed at least 1 guy trying to run a roadblock and I seem to remember Marines having to shoot someone also.  
Quoted:

The National Guard finally arrived, way too late to make any difference. Curfew was maintained for weeks, martial law and tanks on street corners. The real purpose of the military presence was to force whites and blacks to go back to pretending to like each other, that multiculturalism actually worked and that there was not a race war of apocalyptic proportions brewing everywhere and anywhere in the near future. It was all about maintaining appearances.

Bull fucking shit...

Major Bullshit....
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#5]
It still smells of being freshly pulled out of his ass....
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The rioters approaching Anaheim were ALL Mexicans.

We spent a lot of time loading magazines and filling water containers.

The Forward Edge of the Battle  Rioting Area  fizzled out just as it came up on us.  The Mexicans massing in the parking lots of the food stores, waiting for chaos to overtake us so they could loot, hadda go home empty handed.

Here's a quote I remember from my brother at the time, "why are you loading magazines.. you're making me paranoid."  Thirty minutes later, he was loading mags, too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
What is a .203?

I too am curious about that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Difference between the L.A. Riots of 1992 and the Detroit Riots of 1967 = the L.A. Riots did not require the 82nd Airborne Division to get involved.

(Detroit did).

There would have been a shitstorm for the participants  had they not ended when they did.  National Guard Units were deployed by noon on the second day and Marine units were rolling into El Toro and grouping up on the 3rd.    I had my gear at my feet  Friday night and was waiting for a bus to come pick up our Company on Pendleton.   We stayed on stand-by but never deployed.  Some number of Marine units did deploy and manned roadblocks.  Guard troops shot at least 1 guy trying to run a roadblock and I seem to remember Marines having to shoot someone also.  

Yeah , there's a pretty good account of what happened when the guy ran the roadblock and tried to run down a marine..........ended up in a full auto burst to the car, killing the driver.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What is a .203?  Twisting the choke on his 870 to adjust the spread of shot? How many people buy a nw shotgun with a polychoke on it now?

BS!!!!

This
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah , there's a pretty good account of what happened when the guy ran the roadblock and tried to run down a marine..........ended up in a full auto burst to the car, killing the driver.  

The part about full auto I would question....   We had A2s.... 3 round burst  No full auto....
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What is a .203?

I too am curious about that.

He had an M203 on his Deagle, you guys must have not read the whole thing.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

(Detroit did).

There would have been a shitstorm for the participants  had they not ended when they did.  National Guard Units were deployed by noon on the second day and Marine units were rolling into El Toro and grouping up on the 3rd.    I had my gear at my feet  Friday night and was waiting for a bus to come pick up our Company on Pendleton.   We stayed on stand-by but never deployed.  Some number of Marine units did deploy and manned roadblocks.  Guard troops shot at least 1 guy trying to run a roadblock and I seem to remember Marines having to shoot someone also.  

The Detroit Riots in '67 kept getting worse after the Michigan National Guard was deployed.  A lot of people have studied that over the years, and there are conflicting theories as to why (which I'm not going to get into here).

However, when the situation kept escalating, Governor George Romney (Mitt Romney's father BTW) called LBJ at the White House to ask for federal troops.

LBJ invoked a 200 year old law called "the Insurrection Act" to authorize the use of federal troops to put down the riot, and portions of the 82nd were mobilized and flown to Selfridge ANG base in Michigan, then convoyed into Detroit.

When the rioters opened fire on the 82nd Airborne, let's just say the 82nd guys took care of business pretty damn quick .

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The part about full auto I would question....   We had A2s.... 3 round burst  No full auto....

Maybe i'm remembering it wrong , however I *Thought* that the guard unit that was involved was issued A1s , and they were all stressing out about using it because of the 67 riots and how many civilians were killed from stray bursts.

Here's a excerpt I did find , doesn't mention full auto though.

Victor Rodrigo Rivas

TIME: 7:40 p.m. LOCATION:
Intersection of Pico Boulevard and New
     Hampshire Avenue, Pico-Union

It was after curfew and Rivas, 31,
was driving his 1974 Datsun 280Z in
     the Rampart area, near a National Guardsmen post. Authorities said
Rivas
     was driving fast, and Guardsmen responded by pointing their rifles
at his
     car. Rivas stopped, made a U-turn, and went around the block. As
he
     approached the Guardsmen a second time, his car hit one of the
soldiers,
     and others opened fire with their M-16s. In all, 14 rounds were
fired, and
     Rivas was hit five times. LAPD's Rampart homicide detectives
cleared the
     Guardsmen.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#14]
So how is a rifle aimed with a coke bottle taped to it?  What's a .203?  "Riot Shotgun"  "Left my gun at home"  "100 mph baby food"

I read the whole thing.  The crotch grabbing stuff was funny.  If it's true, he should have gotten out of Dodge.

Rifle>Shotgun
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Skeptical..  Fair fiction though.. sorta.

He references "I Am Legend"(2007)  But claims the account of events were scribed in 2004.

Successfully concieving, implementing, then springing the "caltrop trap" ..and then witnessing it happen? Umm-Humm.

If you have a Rem 870 in the middle of a riot you don't remember it 3 days in. Deagle ..pfft.

Oh, and lastly there is only one Hispanic Male named "Benny" that resides in Southern California... He carries a Sig.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh yeah, I forgot about the 20k to 50k crowd at Wal-Mart.  Good stuff right there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Skeptical..  Fair fiction though.. sorta.

He references "I Am Legend"(2007)  But claims the account of events were scribed in 2004.

Successfully concieving, implementing, then springing the "caltrop trap" ..and then witnessing it happen? Umm-Humm.

If you have a Rem 870 in the middle of a riot you don't remember it 3 days in. Deagle ..pfft.

Oh, and lastly there is only one Hispanic Male named "Benny" that resides in Southern California... He carries a Sig.

I Am Legend was written in the 50s.

The rest of the story just reeks of BS.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#18]
This guy is the worst type of liar.  He watches too many Steven Segal Movies and he has a flair for the dramatic.

1.  Had I been present for the riots (I simply watched them on TV) I would have gotten my wife the fuck out of there, not locked her in a home in the middle of it.

2.  Rusty barbed wire, really, come on.

3.  A Desert Eagle, a Desert fucking Eagle, give me a break.

I stopped reading after his chest pounding dick waving lie about telling his liberal neighbor to fuck off.  I don't have a strong belief in god but I will always help my fellow man, even when we do not agree on things.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#19]

James Wesley, Rawles is jealous.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In!

There were lots of guys trying to buy guns off people waiting in line because the gunshop owner had reminded them of the thirty day waiting periods they had voted for in referendum and told them they could apply for a permit but would not be taking a gun out of the shop.

I'm pretty sure the waiting period was 15 days, and I think it was enacted by the pols in the legislature.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In!

There were lots of guys trying to buy guns off people waiting in line because the gunshop owner had reminded them of the thirty day waiting periods they had voted for in referendum and told them they could apply for a permit but would not be taking a gun out of the shop.

I'm pretty sure the waiting period was 15 days, and I think it was enacted by the pols in the legislature.

It's 10 days and has been for a long time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#22]
He said the rioting got to Sunset Blvd and La Cienega? I don't know about that.

Also, a Walmart on or near Sunset Blvd in those days? I don't think so.

Lots of holes. I think it's all made up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#23]
What people forget is the policy of the police was to contain rioters. To keep them in LA proper and out of the nice burbs to the west and north east. This is all they did for the first few days and it allowed the scumbag rioters and looters to get away with anything they wanted. And remember, the majority of looters were Mexicans. They saw a chance to get one over on the man and they took it. They had no beef with the cops then like the Blacks said they did.

At the time I was thinking good for the Koreans. I hope they killed hundreds of the scumbags.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In!

I remember hearing it was 15 in 1992.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#25]
The story does smell fishy.

My brother and his unit from our local sheriff's department deployed into the area near Crenshaw and W. 43rd Street at a place called "The Boys Market" or something like that.

My brother said after the NG arrived the next day, they saw a lone hmmwv drive by, then turn around and stop at their post.

My brother said they were reserves, 4 of them, all wearing Ranger and/or Airborne tabs.  They mentioned they had all seen action in "Just Cause" and "Desert Storm".

My brother said they did not seem like the normal run of the mill NG types.  They looked and acted like professional types.  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt types.

They asked where all the shooting was coming from.

My brother told them to the south of them mostly.  The Rangers said they were tasked with a "Search & Destroy" detail.  

Basically they were to seek out shots fired and engage.  Kind of a free range thing.  

My brother said they saw them come and go through the neighborhoods throughout the night, always blacked out.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Loads of embellishing and inaccuracies. I lived in L.A. during the riots.

1) He mentions his residence was at the corner of Sunset Blvd and Martin. If someone can find a street called Martin that intersects Sunset, please let me know because I can't find it anywhere in the area he describes.

2) 30 day waiting period at the gun store... my experience from this time period tells me there was a 15 day waiting period on all firearms purchases in state of California (summer 1993... 15 day wait to get a .22 bolt action
)

3) He talks about a big box Walmart store within walking distance of his residence on Sunset... I never even saw a Wal-Mart in the L.A. area before the mid 90s, and certainly not in the Hollywood/Beverly Hills area he is talking about.

I could go on, but you get the picture. I call BS, but his message is not without its merits.

I lived in the LA area during those riots as well.  The above is spot on.  I call BS.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In!

My memory is of 15 days for handguns, 10 days for shotguns and rifles. It went to 10 days for handguns sometime in the mid '90s??

I hate getting old, the memory is the second thing to go, I think?
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Is this guy supposed to be Australian or American?

"Mobile"
"Flat"
"Lift"

Sounds like bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#29]
That may be complete bullshit.  Maybe not.  I don't know the details of the riots good enough to comment on its veracity.

It did have an effect on me.  It made me realize how lucky I am to have figured a lot of this shit out beforehand, and then made me consider what I have left to do.  Armor, more food, more water, more ammo, more training.  Inviting neighbors to the range and discussing - in broad terms - a neighborhood watch plan.

I hope that someone, somewhere reads this and realizes "Wow, that could happen again!" and then goes out and buys food, water, and an AR15 and ammo.  If that happens, it doesn't matter if this guy has stacked crap ten feet tall, it will have done some good.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In!

My memory is of 15 days for handguns, 10 days for shotguns and rifles. It went to 10 days for handguns sometime in the mid '90s??

I hate getting old, the memory is the second thing to go, I think?

See my post on P1...   IME in Summer 1993 it was a 15 day wait for long guns and hand guns.  Regardless, it never was the 30 days the author mentions.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#31]
While almost certainly fiction, my question is; does it really matter?

By raising the BS flag, are you saying stories like that did not happen in L.A. by the hundreds if not thousands.

Of course they did and it illustrates a point that during the fat 90's when a large portion of society was rolling in the dough, one relatively minor event caused racial civil war that lashed out at percieved injustices.

Fast forward 2 decades to a wrecked economy, huge pent up rage and ask your self if whatever trigger that would set off a riot in similar fashion would be any different or in my opinion much more extreme.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Big beluga dick beluga
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I remember the riots. I grew up in the Wilshire Crenshaw area of Los Angeles...

it was pretty scary......and pretty sad....

I had a Beretta 92fs and a Hungarian AK underfolder and I was 19 years old.....

The whole god damn world made fun of me for buying it...from my mom saying what a waste of money to my dad saying.....a shotgun would have been better...

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#34]
The Koreans were engaged in firefights with looters from the roofs of their stores, in lieu of a police response.

This I remember.  I also remember one Korean shop owner advancing and firing right into the teeth of the mob (not overhead) , and the mob recoiling back.  To this day I do not know what happened to those intrepid shop owners.  Did they finally flee, or hold their ground, or were they arrested.  

Is there a good DVD out that is a compilation of all the footage shot those days?  The newsmedia seemed to be everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#35]
"Desert Eagle."

I would give him the benefit of he doubt on this point as I know people who stubbornly refer to "Baby Eagles" as "Desert Eagles", but the rest of his firearms references are .

As a true American gun nut, I will run out of food and water long before I have to worry about purchasing ammunition the day of TEOTWAWKI.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

IME, the stores in the vicinity of Hollywood Blvd & Highland were all looted (including Fredrick's of Hollywood).  Sunset & La Cienega is two miles west of there, so it is not out of the realm of possibility.  Also, keep in mind there were different flavors of 'rioting'.  From what I observed, as the rioting moved northward the arson attacks came first and the looting followed behind.  For example, there was no widespread looting in the San Fernando Valley, but there were some buildings burnt in the area of Sherman Oaks/Encino and possibly as far west as Tarzana (can't remember if it got that far, but it stopped before Woodland Hills)

Either way, I still call BS for the reasons I have stated already.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Glad I don't live in the PRK.

True, I live near Memphis...but I am fairly sure rioters would have..."issues" operating around here.

Olive Branch MS here  about 1 mile from state line and riverdale

Don't think it would go well for them myself
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Also, a Walmart on or near Sunset Blvd in those days? I don't think so.

Lots of holes. I think it's all made up.

Gunstore-Commando/Gun-show-SEAL bullshit....

Non-existant calibers, 'race war' 88 crap, the military was just there to 'force people to pretend they can get along' and came too late to do anything, there's a riot on and this idiot is out running around..

Oh, btw, he's a Mall Ninja, too...

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#39]
tfl
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

"Desert Eagle."

I would give him the benefit of he doubt on this point as I know people who stubbornly refer to "Baby Eagles" as "Desert Eagles", but the rest of his firearms references are

As a true American gun nut, I will run out of food and water long before I have to worry about purchasing ammunition the day of TEOTWAWKI.

IIRC, the Baby Eagle/Jericho wasn't really that big around 92, and the Desert Eagle was still an odd novelty pistol (this was before video games & The Matrix made it 'infamous')

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#41]
That story is still steaming from the heat of his ass.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#42]
That's some darn interesting reading! Seriously.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Holy shit man - Where's the cliff notes?
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just back right on out of the thread.  You won't miss anything.

I didn't have the sense not to read that steaming pile of shit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Quoted:

"Desert Eagle."

I would give him the benefit of he doubt on this point as I know people who stubbornly refer to "Baby Eagles" as "Desert Eagles", but the rest of his firearms references are

IIRC, the Baby Eagle/Jericho wasn't really that big around 92, and the Desert Eagle was still an odd novelty pistol (this was before video games & The Matrix made it 'infamous')

I actually owned a Desert Eagle at the time. Carried it to work with me the first day of the riots (Lord knows what the fuck I thought I was gonna do with it), along with a Mossberg 12 gauge.

My precinct was right in the heart of the ghetto in Brooklyn and everyone was pretty tense when I got to work.

Nothing happened, of course. In fact, I remember that night being quieter than normal.

(If you've never been in a riot... you don't want to be. Civil unrest is scary shit.)

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#46]
The guy is a putz.
Leaves his house without a gun during the fucking riots.
Leaves his wife home alone.
Wanders around during the riots.
Lets his wife talk him into leaving his gun at home.
Moves to fucking Australia.

Good riddance.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Pia Zadora.

Rent-a-Cops and their wives with "mobiles" in 1992.

Desert Eagle in the "cupboard".

A ".203 rifle".

A crowd of 50,000 looters raiding a Wal-Mart, so bad it scared the other looters.

Shotgun with an adjustable choke, while loaded and in use.

Modestly talented Aussie airsofter/COD kiddie trying to write a story from the viewpoint of an ex-pat American.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#48]
In before someone quotes the entire story.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Definitely horseshit. Decent read though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#50]
All exaggerations aside, the riots did happen and the message in the story is accurate.

The main idea; that security and civility are fragile, and when they go you'd better be prepared, is correct.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top