Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2011 5:41:59 AM EDT
Ive tried working out a few times prior to eating anything and notice I am drained before I even start.

Is there a good quick snack to take prior to weights for energy? I feel better when I dont have a full meal in me while working out but I need energy to do anything!
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 5:46:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Just go with a snack...apples n peanut butter...oatmeal with fruit....etc.

Quoted:

Ive tried working out a few times prior to eating anything and notice I am drained before I even start.

Is there a good quick snack to take prior to weights for energy? I feel better when I dont have a full meal in me while working out but I need energy to do anything!

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 5:52:11 AM EDT
[#2]
My go-to pre workout meal is 1/2 cup oatmeal with cinnamon and 1 scoop whey protein mixed with water 1 hour before the gym. Down it with a cup of coffee and I'm good. Must eat before lifting weights!
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 6:26:10 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have a high metabolism, I would not recommend working out in the morning if you're trying to gain muscle.  I personally have never had any success with it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 6:36:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you have a high metabolism, I would not recommend working out in the morning if you're trying to gain muscle.  I personally have never had any success with it.

Whats the scientific reason for not working out in the morning?
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Ive had decent luck with turkey deli meat and veggies too. Is that a decent pre workout fuel?
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're on a fast and need the food for energy.  I can't even work out at 5:30pm if I eat lunch at noon.  I delay my lunch till 1pm or eat again at 3.

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You're on a fast and need the food for energy.  I can't even work out at 5:30pm if I eat lunch at noon.  I delay my lunch till 1pm or eat again at 3.

So why cant you eat before lifting in the morning?  Really that has little to do with your bodies metabolism as it does your preparation...
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#8]
i go with a scoop of whey mixed with water and a apple about a 45 mins pre workout. and a NO supplement about 15 mins before. i just read muscle and fitness and go with there eta their meal plans. cuts out the thinking. i tweak it slightly to my taste though
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I try to make sure I get some carbs in around an hour before lifting or running. If I am just not feeling it I take 3 scoops of ON Essential Amino Energy and wait a half hour.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So why cant you eat before lifting in the morning?  Really that has little to do with your bodies metabolism as it does your preparation...

It's difficult to make the time.  And you can get an upset stomach eating 5 min before a workout.  Also, when I'm on that long of a fast, a granola bar isn't going to cut it.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's difficult to make the time.  And you can get an upset stomach eating 5 min before a workout.  Also, when I'm on that long of a fast, a granola bar isn't going to cut it.

So get up earlier.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm like Johnyvain.  I can't work out in the morning, at all.  I usually need something big in my gut around 3, or I won't be worth a shit when I hit the gym at 7.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So get up earlier.

-or- just workout in the evenings.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So get up earlier.

I think no matter what I say, you're going to argue with me.  It's to the point where I sort of feel like you're trolling my posts.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:31:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I try to make sure I get some carbs in around an hour before lifting or running. If I am just not feeling it I take 3 scoops of ON Essential Amino Energy and wait a half hour.

+1

An apple with peanut butter and a few scoops of this has me good to go.

Quoted:
I think no matter what I say, you're going to argue with me.  It's to the point where I sort of feel like you're trolling my posts.

Jonny, I don't think he was trolling you.  You said something that was presented almost like a fact.  Like you knew what you were talking about.  He just wanted to know if you could back it up?  I was curious after reading your post as well.  I have a very high metabolism and I can work out in the morning just fine.  

I guess it boils down to everyone is different.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

How much do you usually take? The packaging suggests up to 6 scoops of the stuff. If I take 3 I am balls to the wall, pedal to the floor, and ready to go. Most of the time I am good with 2 scoops.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

How much do you usually take? The packaging suggests up to 6 scoops of the stuff. If I take 3 I am balls to the wall, pedal to the floor, and ready to go. Most of the time I am good with 2 scoops.

I did my apple/peanut butter and 3 scoops routine yesterday and had a great workout.  Coupling that with nearly a gallon of milk a day and I've put on 6 pounds of muscle in the last 2 weeks.  I haven't tested my fat, but visually I can still see abs the same so I'm doing fine.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:47:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I did my apple/peanut butter and 3 scoops routine yesterday and had a great workout.  Coupling that with nearly a gallon of milk a day and I've put on 6 pounds of muscle in the last 2 weeks.  I haven't tested my fat, but visually I can still see abs the same so I'm doing fine.  

6lbs of muscle in two weeks?  Really...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm lifting really hard and drinking nearly a gallon of whole milk a day.  That's on top of my regular food intake.  

Hell some of that may be water weight, but the milk took the place of the water I used to drink so there's not really a gain of liquid.  

And I'm visually bigger without gaining a gut, along with adding weight to the bar each time I go to the gym.  So yes, I've had quite the gain.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm lifting really hard and drinking nearly a gallon of whole milk a day.  That's on top of my regular food intake.  

Hell some of that may be water weight, but the milk took the place of the water I used to drink so there's not really a gain of liquid.  

And I'm visually bigger without gaining a gut, along with adding weight to the bar each time I go to the gym.  So yes, I've had quite the gain.  

You can't gain muscle that quickly. 10lbs of muscle in 6 months would be a pretty a pretty hefty goal. 6 pounds in 2 weeks just doesn't happen. If you gained 6lbs the majority of it wasn't muscle.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't gain muscle that quickly. 10lbs of muscle in 6 months would be a pretty a pretty hefty goal. 6 pounds in 2 weeks just doesn't happen. If you gained 6lbs the majority of it wasn't muscle.

You may be right, but like I said, I've gained 6 pounds without a visual increase of fat at all.  My muscles look a lot bigger though, and I'm adding weight to the bar at a very quick rate with my workout.  

It's not your average workout.  

I'm not one of those guys who goes to the gym and does 3 sets of each exercise expecting to get big.  

ETA: and can you post a scientific article that says 10 pounds in 6 months is a hefty goal?  Or is that just personal experience?

ETA again: I'm just going to say that I could be wrong here, but I haven't found any proof yet that it can't be done.  I'm going to continue my research after the gym and maybe start a new thread so we can end this hijack.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

^

What he said.

It's mostly water, some fat and a little muscle.

And six pounds isn't that much in a short period. I put on 12 pounds in two weeks when I got back in the weight room a few months ago.

To the OP- I always do a pre-workout shake 45 min before. Mostly carbs, a little protein, creatine and an N.O. booster.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I see A LOT of the guys at my gym mixing up pre-workout drinks in the locker room. The most popular brand seems to be Hemo-Rage Black.

Any of you guru's know anything about it?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#24]
If you're curious about pre-workout drinks, I posted a thread a couple months ago asking what everyone likes to take right here

I've taken so far:
Vasocharge
jack3d
N.O. Xplode
Anadraulic State GT
Anadraulic Pump (no longer sold)
Maximize V2
SuperPump MAX

My top 3 of those would have to be Anadraulic State GT, jack3d and Maximize V2.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For a beginning lifter making noob gains, it's possible.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For a beginning lifter making noob gains, it's possible.

Just started a thread about it so we don't have to hijack this thread.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=113&t=1179432
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?!  Show me the data that says its impossible.  Personal experience does not make you an expert or make it a fact.  i worked with two football players last term that came in pretty big and they both put on close to 30 pounds in 3 months with a heavy strength and nutrition plan.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?!  Show me the data that says its impossible.  Personal experience does not make you an expert or make it a fact.  i worked with two football players last term that came in pretty big and they both put on close to 30 pounds in 3 months with a heavy strength and nutrition plan.

That 30 pounds was not all muscle.

UNLESS they are on that horse steroid Winstrol. Even then it is a stretch.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it certainly wasnt mostly fat.  Were talking D1 athletes who are putting in a few hours a day in the sports performance center doing olympic lifts.  Theyre probably still growing a bit, but strength and power is key with these guys.  Show me the proof that says its impossible.  Id like to see a scientific study that tells me muscle cant be put on that fast.  Dont tell me how you havent been able to do it.  Show me a double blind study.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I find roast beef and mustard works for chippers and weights.  For running some bananas an peanut butter work for me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it certainly wasnt mostly fat.  Were talking D1 athletes who are putting in a few hours a day in the sports performance center doing olympic lifts.  Theyre probably still growing a bit, but strength and power is key with these guys.  Show me the proof that says its impossible.  Id like to see a scientific study that tells me muscle cant be put on that fast.  Dont tell me how you havent been able to do it.  Show me a double blind study.

I know a little bit about fitness. But I just asked my roommate, also a D1 athlete, what he thought about it. He says he's never even heard of someone who is already a D1 athlete, and presumably already in shape to play their sport, gaining 20 pounds of muscle in 3 months much less 30 lbs.

By the way......the guy telling me this just got drafted.....Go Bills... Go to the bottom of page 3 of this thread...http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1176437&page=3
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know a little bit about fitness. But I just asked my roommate, also a D1 athlete, what he thought about it. He says he's never even heard of someone who is already a D1 athlete, and presumably already in shape to play their sport, gaining 20 pounds of muscle in 3 months much less 30 lbs.

By the way......the guy telling me this just got drafted.....Go Bills... Go to the bottom of page 3 of this thread...http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1176437&page=3

Being a D1 athlete doesnt mean you know anything about exercise science and the body.  We get new athletes every year that put on that kind of weight,  Its mostly because theyre young and have the chance to get into a good workout plan with structured nutrition, but it is happening.  Bottom line is its not completely out of the question for someone new to lifting to put on a good amount of muscle.  

And congrats to your friend.  Good luck to him in the pros.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being a D1 athlete doesnt mean you know anything about exercise science and the body.  We get new athletes every year that put on that kind of weight,  Its mostly because theyre young and have the chance to get into a good workout plan with structured nutrition, but it is happening.  Bottom line is its not completely out of the question for someone new to lifting to put on a good amount of muscle.  

And congrats to your friend.  Good luck to him in the pros.

someone new to lifting? You were talking about D1 athletes....they cant be new to lifting.

Bottom line.........it is a chemically induced gain if you are talking about 30 lbs of muscle in 3 months, and even then it is a longshot, even if they are new to lifting. Lots of very specific conditions to be met for that type of gain.

Thanks for the congrats I will pass them along
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:21:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Young men in the 17 to 24 age group are functioning at peak TST levels, with a proper diet and training regimen, such gains are not impossible.  Both Rippetoe has made claim to such gains in Starting Strength, as has Randell Strossen in his 20 rep squat program.

Many folks have a hard time believing this because they are either a) too old to take advantage of the natural TST in their body b)don't properly program c)don't eat right or d)don't get enough sleep to recover.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#35]
I usually work out on an empty stomach, it just just takes a while to get used to. I have started taking some BCAA's pre workout and like it so far.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may be right, but like I said, I've gained 6 pounds without a visual increase of fat at all.  My muscles look a lot bigger though, and I'm adding weight to the bar at a very quick rate with my workout.  

It's not your average workout.  

I'm not one of those guys who goes to the gym and does 3 sets of each exercise expecting to get big.  

ETA: and can you post a scientific article that says 10 pounds in 6 months is a hefty goal?  Or is that just personal experience?

ETA again: I'm just going to say that I could be wrong here, but I haven't found any proof yet that it can't be done.  I'm going to continue my research after the gym and maybe start a new thread so we can end this hijack.

Here you go:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Teenagers are a different story. Their bodies are flooded with testosterone and are still growing naturally. They have the potential to put on more mass at this time than any other period in their life. Even so, 30lbs of muscle in 3 months probably can't happen.

In order to put on muscle you have to eat at a caloric surplus. To optimize how much muscle you put on you have to put on some fat as well. From what I have read a 1:1 ratio of fat:muscle gain is about as little fat as the average adult male can expect to gain while on a bulk without limiting how much muscle is put on. Some do aim for less fat at the expense of new muscle though. Any more fat and you are just increasing your bodyfat% for nothing unless you are on steroids.

And I don't mean to state any of this is 100%. There will always be those individuals that do not fit the mold. Some people are just genetically gifted. Most are not though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top