Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 11:11:31 AM EDT
So I caused some controversy when I said that I put on 6 pounds of muscle in 2 weeks.  I will fully admit that I could be wrong.  But tell me why.

I do the same workout 3 times a week utilizing correct form.
I do 3 sets lower body and 1 set for upper body.  I go to complete failure with each set, 8-10 reps.  If I can get 11, I move on to a higher weight next time.  

Squat: X3
Dumbbell Pullover.
Military Press.
Row.
Dumbbell Bench.
Dead Lift.
Dips, but without using weight, I just go until I can't.
Pullups with a weight between my feet.
Calf.

Half way through, because of my intensity, I feel like throwing up a little.  When I'm done I need my walk back from the gym to cool down.  

My diet consists of 6 small low carb meals a day and a damn near a gallon of whole milk.   (the milk makes up for lost carbs)

I started this specific workout and the milk at the same time.  Weight was approx 171.  Today I just weighed in at 177.8.  A little over 2 weeks later.  

I don't have anything to measure my fat, but I literally don't see any increase in fat.  And it's not like it's one of those things where over time you don't notice something.  A little over 2 weeks, and I am now 7 pounds heavier.  I would notice it like I have noticed the muscles on my body increase in size.

I also realize that a gallon of milk is around 8 pounds, but before you say that my weight gain is that liquid inside of me, it replaced the water that I drink every day.  

Here's a read about doing 1 set vs the average 3:  http://www.precisionnutrition.com/research-review-is-more-better

This talks about the milk: http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/

And here is how I kept the fat off:  http://stronglifts.com/gomad-minimize-fat-gains-how-to/

I know, I know, cool story bro.  But seriously, tell me why I am not gaining muscle that fast.  I'd like to see some proof here other than that your body can't.  I'm doing something very different than most people.  

Feel free to criticize anything about my workout.  I'm always open to suggestions from people stronger than me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Its very possible.  As usual, most will think that what theyve experienced must be true...which just isnt the case.

Good on you for working hard.  Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, you've got most of the important lifts in there which is good. I don't care for doing the same thing every time, and doing squats and deadlifts on the same day means you're not going to be getting as much out of either as you could be.

If I were you I'd split that up and throw in some more variety.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know, I know, cool story bro.  But seriously, tell me why I am not gaining muscle that fast.  I'd like to see some proof here other than that your body can't.  I'm doing something very different than most people.  

Feel free to criticize anything about my workout.  I'm always open to suggestions from people stronger than me.

Mostly people are naysaying because your workout isn't something new you've invented.  There is nothing new.  If you're workout put on 3lbs of muscle a week then someone would've discovered it and we'd all be doing it.  The other side is naysaying because they hate your progress and want you to conform.

I'm not doubting your progress at all, you may very well have put on 6lbs of muscle.  I think the caveat is don't expect to do it ad infinitum.  I'd also guess it's the increase in milk.  Lactose is well known to increase water retention.

You're workout is really pretty solid.  I can respect a workout that does squats 3 times a week.  Squats will make a man into a god.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly people are naysaying because your workout isn't something new you've invented.  There is nothing new.  If you're workout put on 3lbs of muscle a week then someone would've discovered it and we'd all be doing it.  The other side is naysaying because they hate your progress and want you to conform.

I'm not doubting your progress at all, you may very well have put on 6lbs of muscle.  I think the caveat is don't expect to do it ad infinitum.  I'd also guess it's the increase in milk.  Lactose is well known to increase water retention.

You're workout is really pretty solid.  I can respect a workout that does squats 3 times a week.  Squats will make a man into a god.

Great post, thanks.  

While I'll admit that I didn't figure out the 1 set per idea, 99% of people don't subscribe to it though.  Would you agree?  

I totally understand that my results won't last long.  It's a good thing that I don't want to be much bigger than I am already.  

That's interesting about the lactose and water retention.  I'll research this a bit to understand it more.  This may very well have something to do with my gain.  

All in all though, I'm adding weight or reps to every single exercise each time.  I'm definitely doing something right for the time being.    
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great post, thanks.  

While I'll admit that I didn't figure out the 1 set per idea, 99% of people don't subscribe to it though.  Would you agree?  

I totally understand that my results won't last long.  It's a good thing that I don't want to be much bigger than I am already.  

That's interesting about the lactose and water retention.  I'll research this a bit to understand it more.  This may very well have something to do with my gain.  

All in all though, I'm adding weight or reps to every single exercise each time.  I'm definitely doing something right for the time being.    

If you're adding reps or weight then you're winning. Naysayers be damned.  :D

I actually like your 1 set idea.  Modern convention says at least 3 sets of 5 reps or 3 reps becuase that's what Wendler preaches.  :)  One of the things I've figured out is that do what your body is telling you to do.  That's more a Dan John philosophy.  There aren't prescribed reps.  Sometimes if I do a set on a 5/3/1 workout and I'm feeling froggy then I go ahead and put my 1 rep max on the bar and see what I can do.  I think a lot of lifting is figuring out what works for you.  Modern convention says hypertophy is at 8-10 reps.  I get it at 5, but again sometimes I add a set of 2-3 reps just because I'm "feeling good" so maybe I'm wrong about that.  It's a very scientific sport that breaks down quite quickly in the face of the outlying data.

That's why I'm not doubting your 6lbs of muscle.  It's quite possible...especially with milk.  There are a lot of folks that think that milk increases your HGH levels and if your liftng then you would be primed to pick that up.  Back in the day we used to drink milk right up until 6 weeks out then we'd cut it, along with other carbs, to get the water out.

Just don't join the muscle confusion camp.  That's mostly stupid.  :D

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Your body weight frequently changes throughorut the day. I advice you to weigh yourself first thing after your morning pee! That will be the most consistent
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My diet consists of 6 small low carb meals a day and a damn near a gallon of whole milk.   (the milk makes up for lost carbs)

I started this specific workout and the milk at the same time.  Weight was approx 171.  Today I just weighed in at 177.8.  A little over 2 weeks later.  

How low carb were you before you started this diet?

If you were glycogen depleted and added carbs (via the lactase in milk), a big chunk of this weight could be glycogen/water.

The average man has ~ 2000 kCal of stored muscle glycogen.  That's 500 grams or 1.1 pounds.  Each gram of stored muscle glycogen holds 3 grams of water - that's why when people go to extremely low carb diets they shed weight quickly.  Granted, that totals only about 4.5 pounds, and it's not like you were at 0 muscle glycogen, but it could be part of the weight.  Also, as a trained athlete you may store more glycogen than average.

Gotta ask though, why go so extremely low carb and then just dump all that lactase into your system instead of substituting vegetables for some of that milk?

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How low carb were you before you started this diet?

If you were glycogen depleted and added carbs (via the lactase in milk), a big chunk of this weight could be glycogen/water.

The average man has ~ 2000 kCal of stored muscle glycogen.  That's 500 grams or 1.1 pounds.  Each gram of stored muscle glycogen holds 3 grams of water - that's why when people go to extremely low carb diets they shed weight quickly.  Granted, that totals only about 4.5 pounds, and it's not like you were at 0 muscle glycogen, but it could be part of the weight.  Also, as a trained athlete you may store more glycogen than average.

Gotta ask though, why go so extremely low carb and then just dump all that lactase into your system instead of substituting vegetables for some of that milk?

Good info, thanks.

I tried to cut out as many carbs as I could in my meals because I was getting about 170 extra carbs a day from the milk.  I still eat veggies.  When I say carbs, I mean simple carbs.  

The whole point of the milk was to put on weight though.  I was and still am lifting really hard.  

I PCS in a month and my uniform is a little too big, I don't want to go to the tailor.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not going to debate on whether or not you put on 6 pounds of muscle in two weeks, but I would like to say out that weight change of 3 pounds day to day is normal eating at maintenance.

Keep lifting
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Lean muscle is hard to put on. I highly doubt you put on anywhere close to 6-7 lbs...

Just keep working. It's what you see in the mirror that counts.
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd believe it, especially if you are just getting back into working out and have a long way to go until you Plateau.
I started working out again (real half assed), and went from 225 to 230 in probably about the same time, and am at around 235 now just half assing it over the course of 2 months.  If I followed something like your plan I'd be a monster.

ETA- All I have to go on is a scale and a mirror, I put on a lot of visible muscle, and lost a lot of visable pudge and weigh more. I have no way of confirming I actually put on muscle weight besides that.

Link Posted: 5/5/2011 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#12]
And here is how I kept the fat off: http://stronglifts.com/gomad-minimize-fat-gains-how-to/

The article you are using as your source advises you that by following their plan, you could limit fat gains to 2% - 3% body fat per month. Note that the article is on how to minimize fat gains - it doesn't say eliminate fat gains. Congrats on your progress, but don't fool yourself. An eyeball test is not an accurate way to measure body fat. That said, who gives a rat's ass. If you like the way things are going fine, just don't expect to make a claim like that and not get called on it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
As someone that said that you didn't put on that much mass in that amount of time I want to clarify that I wasn't trying to discourage you from continuing.  The point was to give you a more realistic expectation of what you can gain. If you were to continue the expectation of 3lbs per week you are more likely to quit out of frustration of not being able to maintain that pace or continue to that pace and end up fat. Feel free to continue doing what you are doing and see how it plays out over more time but make sure you pay close attention. Taking periodic photos is a good idea so that you have a direct A/B comparison available. Getting a base line bodyfat% done through a Bod Pod or a professional with calipers might be a good idea as well. Then you can get another one done in a few months. Using a tape measure and seeing how you grow is another idea

I've never heard of the 1 set upper body routine you are following. I read the study review you linked and found it interesting but I won't be adopting it any time soon. Studies find false results all of the time. Look at all of the studies on eggs. One day it is bad for you and the next it is a miracle food. This has zig zagged back and forth for the past decade. It is a bad idea to follow 1 source of information. Read as much as you can and decide on the collective. If I saw more guys with bodies I'd like to have doing 1 set training I might be more inclined to try it.

Feel free to keep us updated though. I'd love to see what happens over the next few months.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Crossfit Football or Crossfit Strength Bias may be what you are looking for

Or a hybrid program (Wendlers 5-3-1 or 5x5 with short, intense metcons for cardio).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top