Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2017 8:35:23 PM EDT
I was reading through the NRA website and came across this article dated April 2017 but never heard anything about this. You would think any positive thing about repealing or modifying the Safe Act would be posted.

Dupe?

http://www.thedailymail.net/news/article_78776610-1b36-11e7-a38e-979fdbea7227.html

You think we would be alerted by:

New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc.

90 S. Swan Street Suite 395
Albany, NY 12210
Phone: 518-272-2654
Email: [email protected]

Mr. Thomas H. King, President
Phone: 518-424-1349
Email: [email protected]

Edit: Added info
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 4:05:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd think slim chances, but I'm hoping. I'm just happy it doesn't list Long Island as part of the NYC area. I guess we can be considered "upstate". Which I'm all for anyways.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep dreaming..

NYS will follow like cali did.. You will be gun free in about 5 years..
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep dreaming..

NYS will follow like cali did.. You will be gun free in about 5 years..
View Quote
Maybe, but in name only.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Sadly most folks really don't know how a Bill becomes a Law, let alone the internal politics, committees, Rules, regulations, funding, etc.

While there is overwhelming support for the repeal North of the Capital, there are two factions that diametrically oppose ANY repeal or defunding: they are the NYC Democrats that disproportionally represent the State and Andrew Cuomo:

Referring back to the statement of most not knowing how a Bill becomes Law, the simple lesson is the Assembly (or Senate) have an idea they want to make Law; that idea is voted upon, and if passed moves to the opposite House, and IF passed goes to the Governor for his signature.  Now even IF a "repeal" Law was passed in both the Legislature and Senate, do you really think  that Andy-boy is going to sign off on the destruction of his signature Law?

The whole idea of the now defunct Lawsuit was to have the Law overturned in the Courts, and while the immediate suit won't be, a favorable ruling from SOCTUS could set precedence forcing the Law to be repealed.

NYSRPA's world doesn't revolve around the SAFE Act. That in itself propelled the organization into the spotlight, but just like their younger affiliate the NRA, they are involved in a good many other aspect of Firearms and the shooting sports.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Most likely we'll continue to be Jews in Nazi Germany.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
And here I was thinking we were in East Berlin all this time.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd prefer to consider myself to be in Warsaw under the Nazi occupation of Poland, waiting for the uprising.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sadly most folks really don't know how a Bill becomes a Law, let alone the internal politics, committees, Rules, regulations, funding, etc.

While there is overwhelming support for the repeal North of the Capital, there are two factions that diametrically oppose ANY repeal or defunding: they are the NYC Democrats that disproportionally represent the State and Andrew Cuomo:

Referring back to the statement of most not knowing how a Bill becomes Law, the simple lesson is the Assembly (or Senate) have an idea they want to make Law; that idea is voted upon, and if passed moves to the opposite House, and IF passed goes to the Governor for his signature.  Now even IF a "repeal" Law was passed in both the Legislature and Senate, do you really think  that Andy-boy is going to sign off on the destruction of his signature Law?

The whole idea of the now defunct Lawsuit was to have the Law overturned in the Courts, and while the immediate suit won't be, a favorable ruling from SOCTUS could set precedence forcing the Law to be repealed.

NYSRPA's world doesn't revolve around the SAFE Act. That in itself propelled the organization into the spotlight, but just like their younger affiliate the NRA, they are involved in a good many other aspect of Firearms and the shooting sports.
View Quote

The NYSRPA should continue to press the fight to repeal the Safe Act or they should go by some other name. You don't hear a peep from these people.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The NYSRPA should continue to press the fight to repeal the Safe Act or they should go by some other name. You don't hear a peep from these people.
View Quote
NYSRPA did not come about, nor is its sole focus as a result of the un-SAFE Act. We've discussed and hashed through this ad nausea with the consensus being diametric opposition and holding fast until certain criteria are met. (you can't run home while the Batters at the plate)
I'm going to presume you not to be a member, else you would have a broader view of the organization. If you are, please furnish your membership number less the last two digits, so we may continue. If your sole focus is the SAFE Act, might I suggest SCOPE (well they're not doing anything besides supporting the same repeal legislation NYSRPA is) or GOA who have proclaimed that They  will sue in Court for the overturning of said Law. (God Bless them for trying, and let us know when they've a SCOTUS date so we can send support)

Read through at least two pages: https://www.nysrpa.org/
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

NYSRPA did not come about, nor is its sole focus as a result of the un-SAFE Act. We've discussed and hashed through this ad nausea with the consensus being diametric opposition and holding fast until certain criteria are met. (you can't run home while the Batters at the plate)
I'm going to presume you not to be a member, else you would have a broader view of the organization. If you are, please furnish your membership number less the last two digits, so we may continue. If your sole focus is the SAFE Act, might I suggest SCOPE (well they're not doing anything besides supporting the same repeal legislation NYSRPA is) or GOA who have proclaimed that They  will sue in Court for the overturning of said Law. (God Bless them for trying, and let us know when they've a SCOTUS date so we can send support)

View Quote
+1

I have written here before that the SAFE Act is settled law in the 2nd District (likewise Connecticut's version in the 1st District and Maryland's in the 4th).  The time to appeal to SCOTUS on the last 2nd District ruling is long past and NYSRPA was right to not appeal with the death of Scalia and the danger of a 4-4 split that could have messed up the entire country.  With Gorsuch on the court we are definitely a lot better off now (I hope) but I would still feel better with one more of the left wing being replaced (Ginsberg for example though Kennedy is always a wildcard).  As it stands right now, there is NOTHING in the law for NYSRPA to appeal on with regards to the SAFE Act.  When and if we get a favorable SCOTUS ruling then there will be grounds to go forward.  Until then we have to live with it.

BTW, the first three digits of my ID are 106xx 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am not totally focused on the un-Safe act but it is No.1 on my priority list. As far as being a member I use to be but lost interest. Maybe my whole drive and desire was motivated by the un-Safe Act. Maybe I'm being short sighted .

PS: I will read the last two pages

Dan
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted: Read through at least two pages: https://www.nysrpa.org/
View Quote
Not to be a dick and please don't take this as a personal attack BUT.... IMO that was a piss poor (or very good) example of how active (or inactive) they really are. Less than one post to their website a month for the last 17 months and most of them took less time to accomplish than this post did. We did have national, state, local elections along with a NRA election in that time frame too. Not one Press Release in all of 2016 or thus far in 2017 while in 2015 they did 23 Press Releases and they made 56 posts to the website, what's going on there? Am I missing something?

Examples of some of the posts from the last 17 months:

https://www.nysrpa.org/sportsmans-expo-2017-may-20th/
https://www.nysrpa.org/2016/01/
https://www.nysrpa.org/2016/05/

My last two digits are ####19.

Recently, I've been feeling a whole lot better sending my money to SCOPE.

ETA...

After all that, I reread the above posts and forgot to make my last point..

I agree with the OP when he/she said: "You think we would be alerted by: NYSRPA".
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not to be a dick and please don't take this as a personal attack BUT.... IMO that was a piss poor (or very good) example of how active (or inactive) they really are. Less than one post to their website a month for the last 17 months and most of them took less time to accomplish than this post did. We did have national, state, local elections along with a NRA election in that time frame too. Not one Press Release in all of 2016 or thus far in 2017 while in 2015 they did 23 Press Releases and they made 56 posts to the website, what's going on there? Am I missing something?

Examples of some of the posts from the last 17 months:

https://www.nysrpa.org/sportsmans-expo-2017-may-20th/
https://www.nysrpa.org/2016/01/
https://www.nysrpa.org/2016/05/

My last two digits are ####19.

Recently, I've been feeling a whole lot better sending my money to SCOPE.

ETA...

After all that, I reread the above posts and forgot to make my last point..

I agree with the OP when he/she said: "You think we would be alerted by: NYSRPA".
View Quote
OK. I'll agree there should be more disclosure and even more written in the Bullet, however in defense of NYSRPA it's 99.98% volunteer including the web site (which is new and vastly improved over the previous one)
If you'd or any other member wish to help, or contribute then please do!  It can be anything from an editorial to spending a few hours in the Office....there is always something that needs to be done, and sadly it comes down to "the same ten people" doing it all while others sit and bitch while reaping the rewards.
Think about it:  Given the huge number of Bills introduced and passed by the ASSembly, do you really think NYSRPA has nothing to do with their failure to mature?
Do you think the Rifle Teams and Shooting sports programs conduct their programs on their own?
When a member has an "Issue" with his Handgun Licenses that NYSRPA does nothing?
How about Members that run afoul of the Law with threats of having their Property destroyed?
Every day there are calls from Members and non-members wanting/needing something related to gun Rights, which leaves little time to publish information releases (not to mention those that cannot be released due to privacy concerns) Neither NYSPRA or the NRA can "invite themselves"  into a Legal case: you have to have someone damaged, willing to fight, and committed to going the distance....Their Volunteer Attorney has given away hundreds of hours to the organizations members and provided pro-bono advise internally. All this adds up, and if you think just sending $25. a year is going to get you the level of what the NRA distributes, then you've got the wrong Club.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Also: I suggested reading at least the first two pages in hopes of reviling that there are things going on, that people are working, and there's more than initial preception.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Also: I suggested reading at least the first two pages in hopes of reviling that there are things going on, that people are working, and there's more than initial preception.  
View Quote
I won't debate the points you made.... I was mainly pointing out that there appears to be a difference in amount of information being disseminated via the website now vs the past.

One good thing did come of this though.... While I personally don't do Facebook, I saw that Tom King has a pretty active page. Question.... Would it be worth it for him to cross post some of the (worthwhile) things he posts on Facebook to the main website?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I won't debate the points you made.... I was mainly pointing out that there appears to be a difference in amount of information being disseminated via the website now vs the past.

One good thing did come of this though.... While I personally don't do Facebook, I saw that Tom King has a pretty active page. Question.... Would it be worth it for him to cross post some of the (worthwhile) things he posts on Facebook to the main website?
View Quote
I will ask him Friday.
He doesn't admin the web site, although he could probably send his comments to the man that does; there would be a lag time I suppose.  
FWIW: There was someone else taking care and doing most of the posting to the previous webpage.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm pretty sure you can embed someone's facebook posts on a web page, so they can probably do that for Tom King if that makes sense. It removes the need to constantly update it manually.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I asked Tom about this: They are working on placing more content on the NYSRPA page, but the fact is that many more people see and respond to post on Facebook than even visit the NYSRPA web site.
Thinking about it, he's right: Right this minute if I put out an important piece of information in a FB post, then more will read it now than later (if ever) on the web page. The Web page is still a must, and will be continually updated, but the fastest ways will be the most used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top