Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2014 6:55:12 AM EDT
http://wibx950.com/crossing-party-lines-new-cuomo-ad-features-oneida-county-executive-anthony-picente/
Crossing Party Lines: New Cuomo Ad Features Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente

By Kristine Bellino October 21, 2014 2:07 PM

Photo Credit: Kristine Bellino, WIBX / Townsquare Media

Another Republican in Central New York is endorsing the Democratic Governor of New York for re-election.

Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente joins his colleague from Onondaga County, Republican Joanne “Joanie” Mahoney, who appeared in a television ad endorsing incumbent Andrew Cuomo, earlier this month.

In so doing Mahoney and Picente are not merely supporting the other party; they are also publicly turning their backs on one of their own.  Republican Rob Astorino is not only the GOP’s Gubernatorial candidate, but also a fellow county executive, representing Westchester County since 2009.

Photo Credit: Bob Joseph, WNBF / Townsquare Media

In her ad Mahoney credits Governor Cuomo with getting “…Democrats and Republicans to work together.”

Picente echoes that sentiment, touting the promise of Nano Utica and adding that Cuomo’s accomplishments include helping to develop the yogurt industry, strengthen tourism, and rehabilitate the historic Utica Memorial Auditorium.

July 17. 2013 Photo Credit: Kristine Bellino

Although some have questioned his motives, Cuomo has certainly made the appearance at least of caring more about “upstate” New York than many previous administrations, visiting during devastating flooding in the Mohawk Valley, a shooting and standoff in Herkimer, and the launch announcement for NanoUtica.  And that, it seems, has left an indelible impression on local legislators, who seem to have put aside party politics, at least for the time being.

Picente, for his part, has been front and center at many state and federal events, invited by the Democratic Governor to participate and stand beside him at several forums and announcements in Albany.

The Oneida County Executive joined the Mayor of Rome, Joseph Fusco, Jr., in welcoming another prominent Democrat, President Barack Obama, to the region in May of 2014, and taking goodnatured chiding about how long he held onto the President’s hand during their meeting:

The release of the Picente endorsement comes the day after The New York Times endorsed Cuomo, after previously printing that its editorial board had decided to skip the endorsement.

Photo Credit: Ramin Talaie, Getty Images

On August 26, 2014 The New York Times Editorial Board stated that Governor Cuomo campaigned on the promise that “Job.1 is going to be to clean up Albany.”  Stating that “…he failed to perform Job. 1…” the board “…had decided not to make an endorsement for the Democratic primary on Sept. 9.”  The article went on to explain the board’s rationale:

“Why endorse no candidate in a major state primary? Here’s how we see it: Realistically, Governor Cuomo is likely to win the primary, thanks to vastly greater resources and name recognition. And he’ll probably win a second term in November against a conservative Republican opponent.”

On October 20, 2014 the Times’ Editorial Board reversed its decision, however, stating:

“While The Times’s editorial board chose not to make an endorsement in the Democratic primary in September, we recommend Mr. Cuomo for re-election on the basis of these achievements. His Republican challenger, Rob Astorino, the Westchester County executive, does not have broad experience and, on many issues, is out of step with most New Yorkers and the needs of this state.”

Picente may indeed concur with the assessment by the Times, taking Republican Gubernatorial candidate Rob Astorino to task following Astorino’s comments on WIBX, where the GOP challenger called NanoUtica “smoke and mirrors.”  Picente, a long with Democratic Assemblyman Anthony Brindisi, took issue with those comments publicly.  Picente stated that Astorino’s comments were “out of whack.”

Photo Credit: Kristine Bellino, WIBX / Townsquare Media

Brindisi, Picente Challenge Astorino's Comments on WIBX

Whether the Westchester County Executive’s “poo-pooing” of the Mohawk Valley, as Assemblyman Brindisi put it, had any long-term effect on voters in Central New York remains to be seen.  However, no local legislator – Republican or Democrat – has come out publicly in support of Astorino after those comments were made.

In case you have not seen them yet here are the campaign ads featuring Picente and Mahoney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU1PaczBh1s#t=15

And, in case you missed it, here is the Mahoney ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05JeOy5zyTY

Editorial Note: Rob Astorino is a paid media consultant for Townsquare Media, the parent company of WIBX.

Read More: Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente Endorses Cuomo | http://wibx950.com/crossing-party-lines-new-cuomo-ad-features-oneida-county-executive-anthony-picente/?trackback=tsmclip
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Joanie is a POS. I've known the family for 30 years. Went o school with one of her brothers, used to see her dad in Albany all the time when he was an Assemblyman. I am so disgusted by her.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, fuck be upon all of the traitors....I wish them ill....

Too bad tarring and feathering is illegal...any other courses of action aren't CoC compliant....
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Those Joanie ads made me want to puke eveytime it was aired. Fucking turncoats.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]
No wonder he is supporting CUOMO for re-election!

http://ocgov.net/node/447
Picente Supports Microstamping; Bill Passes State Assembly, Awaits State Senate Consideration
Posted: 05/19/2009
Oneida County Executive Anthony J. Picente, Jr. today announced his support for ammunition microstamping. Microstamping is a technology that uses a laser to make engravings on the internal mechanism of a gun. This is done so that when the gun is fired, this specific engraving is imprinted onto the casing, identifying which gun the casing came from. This legislation would mean all new models of all semiautomatic firearms manufactured in the state would possess the capability of microstamping ammunition.
“I fully support this legislation and its goal of aiding in the apprehension and conviction of individuals involved in gun related crimes,” Picente said. “Technology is constantly advancing and I believe that it is most important to utilize every available technology in order to solve crimes that have been committed.”

County Executive Picente, along with Utica Mayor David Roefaro, Utica Police Chief Daniel LaBella, and The Utica Police Department are vigorously endorsing this proposed bill and this new technology.

Utica Mayor David Roefaro said, “I applaud the County Executive for once again, working across the aisle to support this important legislation. Utica and Oneida County will continue to work together on finding innovative ways to transform public safety.”

New York’s Microstamping bill was passed last week in the state Assembly, sponsored by Michelle Schimel (D-Great Neck). She stressed that, “At present, murderers are firing anonymous ammunition.” Picente agreed saying, “I sent a letter to the Assemblywoman in April, expressing my support. This is a technology that will help solve crimes and give an identity to a weapon even if it’s never found.”

Over 70 police and sheriff departments around the state have endorsed the technology, and the cost to the manufacturer would be minimal, roughly a few dollars per gun. Picente also pointed out that California will be putting microstamping into law in 2010.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Double tap
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm originally from Oneida County.  Picente and Fusco are true RINOs.  POS both of them.  Always have been, always will be.  Just look at how well the Utica/Rome area is doing.  Buildings falling down,  big business have all but evaporated.  Food stamps and welfare recipients are their meal tickets to re-election.  I left that area in 1995 and never regretted that move. Now that I am in GA, I'm sure I won't regret that either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top