Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2017 4:48:58 PM EDT
So guys, the $139 detachable mag shotgun thread in GD got me thinking how would that work for dove hunting here?

I know you're *supposed* to be limited to 2 in the mag and one in the chamber but what if you modify one to where you cannot load a fully loaded 3 round mag onto a loaded chamber (closed bolt) by like plugging the mag? Would that be acceptable or is that asking for a good pegging by the fish cops

Side note, I've always assumed SBSs were gtg for here but anyone know for sure? Google just turns up speculative bullshit mostly

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:29:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you could plug the detachable mag to reduce capacity.

Just be sure that is the only mag with you.  

What do you think everybody with a "conventional" tube fed magazine on a pump or semi-auto does to get to 2 + 1 for legal 3?

(they have a magazine plug to reduce capacity)
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I know you could plug it to 2 rounds for sure and be GTG. Where in the rules is there saying you can only have one mag

What do you think everybody with a "conventional" tube fed magazine on a pump or semi-auto does to get to 2 + 1 for legal 3?

(they have a magazine plug to reduce capacity)
No shit I'm thinking you may have misread my OP....
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:15:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Where in your original post does say your asking about multiple mags?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#4]
You can modify it any way you want....you just cant be able to load more than 3 rounds in the shot gun.....with or without the mag attached.

I have never seen anyone hunting with a detach mag on their shotgun...but if you need to load that fast.......

From TPWD
Legal Shotgun
Shotguns not larger than 10-gauge, fired from the shoulder, and incapable of holding more than three shells. Shotguns capable of holding more than three shells must be plugged with a one piece filler which cannot be removed without disassembling the gun, so the gun's total capacity does not exceed three shells.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I know you could plug it to 2 rounds for sure and be GTG. Where in the rules is there saying you can only have one mag

No shit I'm thinking you may have misread my OP....
View Quote
For someone asking for help...you're kinda coming off as an arse.

I would have gone and found the exact text but I'm too lazy now.

The one mag thing comes up in regards to how a plug works in a conventional shotgun. A plug must be installed in such a way that the shotgun must be taken apart to install/remove the plug. In other words....you can't just pop one in when the game warden starts walking up. What hammer is getting at is....you better not be carrying a mag with a greater than 2 capacity while bird hunting.

Oh screw it.....call your local game warden because his opinion is the only one that matters on the topic.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:09:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Where in the rules is there saying you can only have one mag
View Quote
It doesn't. And he didnt say it did. You mentioned plugging ***A*** mag. You're kind of a dick. Why don't you just read the statutes for yourself. It's all online, and will serve you much better than "guy on the internet told me."

Edit:dhutch beat me to it. What I get for not reading the whole thread 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I suggest calling the local game warden about more than one mag question he may or may not be ok with it.

I know when I have had questions for TPWD and their crapshoot regulations changing weekly for CWD I always call.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#8]
No magazines capable of holding more than 2 rounds. If you have a magazine capable of holding more that 2 rounds in your possession, this includes your vehicle you are in violation of both state and federal hunting regulations.

Long ago I had an old bolt action, detachable magazine shotgun for ducks and "stuff". Mag held only 2 rounds, but had 3 magazines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top